Fr4Nc0
12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
We can only dream.
10 chars.

Devilito
12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
We can only dream.
10 chars.

he made the French final this year and was 1 point away from the US Open final. He also finished 2011 by dominiating everyone. If he won a slam in 2012 it would be far from a shock.

BeHappy
12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
he made the French final this year and was 1 point away from the US Open final. He also finished 2011 by dominiating everyone. If he won a slam in 2012 it would be far from a shock.

The Australian Open will be very interesting indeed.

The Bawss
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM

I think he meant "The" Grand Slam.

Fr4Nc0
12-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, i meant "THE" Grand Slam. The big one. With Olympics as cherry on top. Honestly, i think it could happen. If he sets the tone by beating Nadal and Djokovic in Australia and then following up with some big wins, I can see him surprising Nadal or Djokovic at the French and then riding a wave of momentum to London.

zagor
12-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I think he meant "The" Grand Slam.

Then he's out of his mind, that's not a dream, that's science fiction at this point.

One slam is possible though, don't see Fed winning Wimbledon again but in the other 3 he's still a contender in my book. Would love to see him win a slam again, it's been a while.

dh003i
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM
It is possible, but not probably. Federer was at his best ever in 2006, but he had his best shot at the CYGS in 2009. Wasn't Laver 30 or 31 when he completed the CYGS in 1969?

dh003i
12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
That said, I don't think any sane fan is expecting a CYGS from Federer in 2012. It would be an enormous shock.

I'd be very happy with another FO win.

Fr4Nc0
12-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Oh no, of course no one is expecting it. Thats the point. I do think it's possible, even if by no means probable (quite the opposite). I think the Australian Open will set the tone for the year big time.

Sentinel
12-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Acco to the various threads here, both Noel and Ralph are expected to win the CYGS in 2012.

OddJack
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
2012 FO is the most important Major of the year.

The power balance among the top 4 will be revealed.

I am watching it all.

borg number one
12-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Absolutely. Federer can win a major in 2012. Yet, I also think that the rest of the top 4 have chances as well, including Andy Murray. The CYGS? That's definitely in the Land of Fantasy, but stranger things have happened.

tusharlovesrafa
12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
By the way federer is 30 only..

Shaolin
12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
The AO will be very very interesting. If Fed wins it he will be extremely confident the rest of the year...and a confident Fed is a scary thing.

gregor.b
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Acco to the various threads here, both Noel and Ralph are expected to win the CYGS in 2012.

Yeah. Everyone seems to think Nole is already the GOAT. Maybe their maths is bad, no?

merwy
12-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Oh no, of course no one is expecting it. Thats the point. I do think it's possible, even if by no means probable (quite the opposite). I think the Australian Open will set the tone for the year big time.

Well yeah ofcourse it's possible. It's also possible that Roddick wins the FO or that Lu enters the top 5 next year. When you think about it, lots of things are "possible".

I think that us Fed fans should be very content with 1 grand slam next year, i know i'd be. But i'm not expecting anything, keeping my expectations low so I don't go mentally insane if Federer has a bad year..

TennisLovaLova
12-09-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm thinking of taking a year leave of absence from work to follow RF on tour... at least, the slams, most of the european masters and some us masters maybe, probably cincinnati aka the real slam...

Still, to answer the OP, I really hope he wont win the GS, cause if he does, there is a huge probability that he will quit tennis after that...

Nathaniel_Near
12-09-2011, 03:14 AM
LOL.

10increduloushadeehah's

AM95
12-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Then he's out of his mind, that's not a dream, that's science fiction at this point.

One slam is possible though, don't see Fed winning Wimbledon again but in the other 3 he's still a contender in my book. Would love to see him win a slam again, it's been a while.

this^

there is no way that fed wins the french unless he usurps nadal at 2, and djokovic and nadal end up in the same half, with djoko beating nadal and then losing to fed in the final or losing in the next round.

fed will probably win a slam next year though.

helloworld
12-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Sampras was reaching US Open Slam Finals for 3 straight years before winning 1. Federer made only 1 slam finals in 2 years. It would be hard to win even 1 slam for Roger, let alone THE Grand Slam. At least the OP is right. Land of Fantasy. :lol:

Fr4Nc0
12-09-2011, 05:37 AM
By the way federer is 30 only..

He will be 31 in 2012

joeri888
12-09-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm thinking of taking a year leave of absence from work to follow RF on tour... at least, the slams, most of the european masters and some us masters maybe, probably cincinnati aka the real slam...

Still, to answer the OP, I really hope he wont win the GS, cause if he does, there is a huge probability that he will quit tennis after that...

True fan this. Rather see him lose than not seeing him play

Sentinel
12-09-2011, 06:29 AM

That would be cool, really. Will be a year, you'll never forget.
You may not get the chance again.

Sentinel
12-09-2011, 06:30 AM
True fan this. Rather see him lose than not seeing him play
NO way a slam win is gonna decide if he keeps playing or not. I think it will motivate him further. He'll be around till 34 or 35.

joeri888
12-09-2011, 06:44 AM
NO way a slam win is gonna decide if he keeps playing or not. I think it will motivate him further. He'll be around till 34 or 35.

Not A slam THE slam.

edit: And I ain't talking cincy

ledwix
12-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Sampras was reaching US Open Slam Finals for 3 straight years before winning 1. Federer made only 1 slam finals in 2 years. It would be hard to win even 1 slam for Roger, let alone THE Grand Slam. At least the OP is right. Land of Fantasy. :lol:

More like 2 slam finals in two years...AO10 and RG11.

15_ounce
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Land of Reality:

Andre Agassi

2001 Australian Open Champion (aged 31 y.o.)

2003 Australian Open Champion (aged 33 y.o.)

passive_aggressive
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Federer winning the grand slam in 2012 is still a million times more likely than a second tier like Murray EVER winning a slam.

Actually I think it's doable. There are only ever 2 threats to Federer in a slam: 'Rafa and Nole.'

Nole ain't looking in the best of shape right now, matches up badly to Federer anyway. Nadal will probs be unstoppable though.

If the draw was somehow rigged for a Nadal/Djokovic semi every time, Federer would be pretty much guaranteed a couple of match points against Djoker in the final. Whether or not he can take them is a different matter.

xanctus
12-09-2011, 09:19 AM
As much as I wanted that...I don't think Roger can win "The" Grand Slam...he was playing amazing lately, but I don't know. It's still a long way to go I reckon.

passive_aggressive
12-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't understand the folk who say that Federer can perhaps win one or two more slams. I think he can win many more.

He will play for a long time and even at 38, no-one new player or old 2nd tier player (Tsonga, Murray...etc...) will ever pose as much of a big threat to the big 2 (Djokodal) as him. Top 3 are guaranteed a sleep-walk to the semi's these days anyway.

He just needs to wait for a slight drop in Djokodal or the chance to play Djokovic in the final and bam! he has a slam. I think 5 more for Fed ain't far-fetched.

Shaolin
12-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Well yeah ofcourse it's possible. It's also possible that Roddick wins the FO or that Lu enters the top 5 next year. When you think about it, lots of things are "possible".

Except for the fact that neither Roddick nor Lu have ever demonstrated the possibility that they can do that, where Fed has won every major.

Federer winning the grand slam in 2012 is still a million times more likely than a second tier like Murray EVER winning a slam.

Actually I think it's doable. There are only ever 2 threats to Federer in a slam: 'Rafa and Nole.'

Nole ain't looking in the best of shape right now, matches up badly to Federer anyway. Nadal will probs be unstoppable though.

If the draw was somehow rigged for a Nadal/Djokovic semi every time, Federer would be pretty much guaranteed a couple of match points against Djoker in the final. Whether or not he can take them is a different matter.

QFT, except I disagree that Nadal will be unstoppable.

celoft
12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
All four? Best case scenario he wins two slams next year.

JamieSafe
12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
If he does it, here's how I want him to do it:

Australian Open vs Djokovic final - straight up titan war
French Open vs Nadal final - for obvious reasons
Wimbledon vs Tsonga (or Berdych) final - for vengeance and king status regained
US Open vs Murray final - to make sure he gets the calendar guaranteed :mrgreen: (an in-form del Potro would be good too)

This would ground him to be the best player of all time -- without debates even possible anymore

dh003i
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
If he does it, here's how I want him to do it:

Australian Open vs Djokovic final - straight up titan war
French Open vs Nadal final - for obvious reasons
Wimbledon vs Tsonga (or Berdych) final - for vengeance and king status regained
US Open vs Murray final - to make sure he gets the calendar guaranteed :mrgreen: (an in-form del Potro would be good too)

This would ground him to be the best player of all time -- without debates even possible anymore

Nope, the anti-Federer ***** would say Djokovic was exhausted from his great season and that Nadal was hurt or injured or not playing his best, etc, and would say that a win over Tsonga, Berdych, or Murray deserves and asterisk next to it.

dh003i
12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't understand the folk who say that Federer can perhaps win one or two more slams. I think he can win many more.

He will play for a long time and even at 38, no-one new player or old 2nd tier player (Tsonga, Murray...etc...) will ever pose as much of a big threat to the big 2 (Djokodal) as him. Top 3 are guaranteed a sleep-walk to the semi's these days anyway.

He just needs to wait for a slight drop in Djokodal or the chance to play Djokovic in the final and bam! he has a slam. I think 5 more for Fed ain't far-fetched.

I certainly agree that Federer can win more than one or two more Majors, but there are certainly more threats to him at this stage in his career than Nadal and Djokovic.

Subventricular Zone
12-09-2011, 09:02 PM
OP: Are you off your meds? :) J/K