PDA

View Full Version : When you board a plane ...

OTMPut
12-08-2011, 05:15 PM
...do you ever think that this could be your last flight?
I do. Every single time. I do an imaginary fighter pilot salute to my airmen standing on the tarmac, imagine my son's beautiful smile and then flip through the movie directory.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/crashes/what-really-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877

Agent Orynge
12-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I've been in way too many C-130s and C-17s to worry about whether or not the bird is going down. Whether my parachute was going to open or not, that's another issue...

Of course, some planes are more dangerous on the ground than they are in the air. (http://news.yahoo.com/lauren-scruggs-tragedy-parents-speak-models-propeller-accident-101317983.html)

OTMPut
12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
I've been in way too many C-130s and C-17s to worry about whether or not the bird is going down. Whether my parachute was going to open or not, that's another issue...

Of course, some planes are more dangerous on the ground than they are in the air. (http://news.yahoo.com/lauren-scruggs-tragedy-parents-speak-models-propeller-accident-101317983.html)

Ah the parachutes. Are you a paratrooper?

I once read a WWII pilot's interview where he told something to the effect of the men who fold your suits are far more important.

Agent Orynge
12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I was a paratrooper for 6 years, and a Jumpmaster for the last 2.

Yeah, riggers are pretty important, but there is a lot involved in an airborne operation. Part of my responsibility as a Jumpmaster was to inspect parachutes after jumpers had donned them, to make sure they had no rigging deficincies.

OTMPut
12-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Part of my responsibility as a Jumpmaster was to inspect parachutes after jumpers had donned them, to make sure they had no rigging deficincies.

You were THE man.

LeeD
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Plenty of accidents involving USER ERROR, rather than equipment failure.
When you get into your car, do you think it can be your LAST ride?
When you go to sleep, do you ever think you might not wake up?j
When you get into an elevator, do you ever consider it can fail?
When you drive through the "hood", what are your chances of sustaining a gunshot wound?
When you paddle out into the Pacific, is a shark lurking around with your sense on his mind?
How many people WALK into hospitals, and leave in a box?.

Agent Orynge
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Oh, that wasn't even my favorite part. Jumpmasters have multiple responsibilities, including the execution of airborne operations from the bird. When I was a safety, I had to cram all the paratroopers (64 on a C-130) into their seats, combat equipment and all. It's like trying to restuff an emptied sardine can. Then, to get to the front of the plane (since everyone is facing the back of the bird when they stand up, where the doors are), I actually had to step on everyone's laps, since there was no room for my legs to get to the floor. And, after everyone else jumped out, it was my duty to stand in the open door, lean out, and make sure that nobody was being towed by their static lines.

LeeD
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Good stuff, and I salute your work. 3 jumps while in the Army, and the chute opened every time.
Love the stories by rangemasters, aircraft carrier airplane arrest operators, mine sweepers, and armorers.

OTMPut
12-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Plenty of accidents involving USER ERROR, rather than equipment failure.
When you get into your car, do you think it can be your LAST ride?
When you go to sleep, do you ever think you might not wake up?j
When you get into an elevator, do you ever consider it can fail?
When you drive through the "hood", what are your chances of sustaining a gunshot wound?
When you paddle out into the Pacific, is a shark lurking around with your sense on his mind?
How many people WALK into hospitals, and leave in a box?.

A Car out of control for a brief moment can be "managed" in a good % of instances. An aircraft is whole different ball game, sir.

You need to look at payout as well as probability. Looking at just one of these in isolation can produce a lot of analogies, like you have digged out.

Agent Orynge
Yeah, good times. At least, it feels like they were now that I'm out. Everytime I heard the commands "Stand up! Hook up!" my heart about shot out of my chest. By the time they finally gave the command "Greenlight, go!" I would have jumped out of the bird without a 'chute, just to stop being sick (and so I could finally pee).

r2473
First thing I do when I board is look for snakes.

Legend of Borg
12-08-2011, 06:23 PM

Every time.

I try to push this thought out of my mind and control my rising anxiety.

I do not enjoy flying but it is a necessity.

adamX012
12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
LOL...

I LOVE THIS THREAD....

Yesterday... I was angry because my flight was delayed for 3 hours.....

This morning.... I told myself -DO NOT VISIT this site for tennis talk...

Now... I break up my promise....

TTW is so amazing to me... YOU, get all attentions from a traveler like me....

Oh, I forget my racket at home.....

Never mind, I could buy a new racket from this site within 2 days free shipping ....

SoBad
12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I do. Every single time. I do an imaginary fighter pilot salute to my airmen standing on the tarmac, imagine my son's beautiful smile and then flip through the movie directory.

The statistics will tell you that flying is safe, but the feeling of helplessness and lack of control can certainly cause discomfort. Avoid those unnecessary short flights take the good old Acela between NY and DC, get onto the good old KCR when you head to Guangzhou: take advantage of the comfort and convenience of the modern rail services.

For a long flight, drink a bottle of nice wine before boarding. A little bit of relaxation beforehand will go a long way to ensure that your takeoff is a pleasant experience.

Fearsome Forehand
12-08-2011, 08:13 PM
You paratrooper guys are nuts. Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane? :)

Fortunately, airline safety has a remarkable record of late. Not always that way. The de Havilland Comet comes to mind.

It seems the crashes that do occur are pretty random events. When I was a kid, there was a crash maybe 5 miles from where I lived. A small plane clipped the tail of a passenger jet as it approached for landing. The jet was out of Cincy landing in Indy, the small plane was a guy flying out of South Bend on his way to Columbus. Everyone on board was killed. A millisecond either way and the crash never happens. Randomness defined.

Another crash I recall was a NW flight out of Detroit Metro to PHX. The pilots blew off the pre-flight check list. The pilot had about 30 years experience but he had the flaps up during takeoff and the plane stalled, inverted, skipped off the roof off a rental car place and crashed into the overpass at Middlebelt and I-94 maybe 1/2 mile from the runway. About 300 people were killed save one little girl who lived.

The Concorde crash in Paris was a spectacular one. Plane hit a piece of debris on the runway, tire exploded, shrapnel from the tire ruptured the fuel tank and from then on it was a flying bomb.

There was an Alaska Air flight that crashed into the Pacific off the CA coast about 15 years ago. The rudder went bad and locked up forcing the plane into a dive from about 30K feet up.

I have been on some rough flights but never had any really bad experiences. I knew someone who was on a passenger jet that 360'd in heavy turbulence. That must have been fun.

All in all, jet travel is about as safe a form of transport as there is. It is a hassle now. The planes are almost always full, the TSA nonsense, etc. But it sure beats driving across country.

adamX012
12-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Fortunately, airline safety has a remarkable record of late. Not always that way. The dehavilland Comet comes to mind.

It seems the crashes the do occur are pretty random events. When I was a kid, there was a crash maybe 5 miles from where I lived. A small plane clipped the tail of a passenger jet as it approached for landing. The jet was out of Cincy landing in Indy, the small plane was a guy flying out of South Bend on his way to Columbus. Everyone on board was killed. A milisecond either way and the crash never happens. Randomness defined.

Another crash I recall was a NW flight out of Detroit Metro to PHX. The pilots blew off the pre-flight check list. The head pilot had about 30 years experience but he had the flaps up during takeoff and the plane stalled, skipped off the roof off a rental car place and crashed into the overpass at Middlebelt and I-94 maybe 1/2 mile off the runway. About 300 people were killed save one little girl who lived.

The Concorde crash in Paris was a spectacular one. Plane hit a piece of debris on the runway, tire exploded, shrapnel from the tire ruptured the fuel tank and then it was a flying bomb.

There was an Alaska Air flight that crashed into the Pacific about 15 years ago. The rudder went bad and locked up forcing the plane into a dive from about 30K feet up.

I have been on some rough flights but never had any really bad experiences. I knew someone who was on a passenger jet that 360'd in heavy turbulence. That must have been fun.

All in all, jet travel is about as safe a form of transport as there is. It is a hassle now. The planes are almost alway full, the TSA nonsense, etc. But it beat driving across country.

Talking about TSA I met last night at airport... I was pretty surprised he complained his boss to me while checking my luggage. He said he got master degree and his boss does not......

It's a job, he doesn't get it... why complained to the traveler, whom was tried and waiting for the delayed flight...

Then question is, how many people are actually being employed in this country? well, the answer is 92%.

Sentinel
12-08-2011, 08:30 PM
You go to the Cargo area ?

:D

Seth
12-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Oh, that wasn't even my favorite part. Jumpmasters have multiple responsibilities, including the execution of airborne operations from the bird. When I was a safety, I had to cram all the paratroopers (64 on a C-130) into their seats, combat equipment and all. It's like trying to restuff an emptied sardine can. Then, to get to the front of the plane (since everyone is facing the back of the bird when they stand up, where the doors are), I actually had to step on everyone's laps, since there was no room for my legs to get to the floor. And, after everyone else jumped out, it was my duty to stand in the open door, lean out, and make sure that nobody was being towed by their static lines.

You have a lot more gumption than me, brother.

dParis
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I knew someone who was on a passenger jet that 360'd in heavy turbulence.
No, you didn't.

Fifth Set
12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
All in all, jet travel is about as safe a form of transport as there is. It is a hassle now. The planes are almost always full, the TSA nonsense, etc. But it sure beats driving across country.

+1.

It has gone from being safe and fun (see the show Pan Am for a dramatic interpretation if you're at all nostalgic for what flying used to be like) to being safe and annoying.

Thank not just Al Qaeda for that but also the fact that WE have turned it into the bus by making price the #1 consideration in much of our ticket shopping. Too many people are flying. As the Southwest ad says, "You're free to move about the country." Are we really when everyone else is piling into the same airplane?!

Agent Orynge
12-08-2011, 10:31 PM
You paratrooper guys are nuts. Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane? :)

Fortunately, airline safety has a remarkable record of late. Not always that way. The de Havilland Comet comes to mind.

It seems the crashes that do occur are pretty random events. When I was a kid, there was a crash maybe 5 miles from where I lived. A small plane clipped the tail of a passenger jet as it approached for landing. The jet was out of Cincy landing in Indy, the small plane was a guy flying out of South Bend on his way to Columbus. Everyone on board was killed. A millisecond either way and the crash never happens. Randomness defined.

Another crash I recall was a NW flight out of Detroit Metro to PHX. The pilots blew off the pre-flight check list. The pilot had about 30 years experience but he had the flaps up during takeoff and the plane stalled, skipped off the roof off a rental car place and crashed into the overpass at Middlebelt and I-94 maybe 1/2 mile off the runway. About 300 people were killed save one little girl who lived.

The Concorde crash in Paris was a spectacular one. Plane hit a piece of debris on the runway, tire exploded, shrapnel from the tire ruptured the fuel tank and from then on it was a flying bomb.

There was an Alaska Air flight that crashed into the Pacific off the CA coast about 15 years ago. The rudder went bad and locked up forcing the plane into a dive from about 30K feet up.

We often wondered the same thing.

Agent Orynge
12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
+1.

It has gone from being safe and fun (see the show Pan Am for a dramatic interpretation if you're at all nostalgic for what flying used to be like) to being safe and annoying.

Thank not just Al Qaeda for that but also the fact that WE have turned it into the bus by making price the #1 consideration in much of our ticket shopping. Too many people are flying. As the Southwest ad says, "You're free to move about the country." Are we really when everyone else is piling into the same airplane?!

No thoughts on airborne operations? I figured if anybody knew more than me, it would be you.

dr325i
12-09-2011, 03:14 AM
A Car out of control for a brief moment can be "managed" in a good % of instances. An aircraft is whole different ball game, sir.

You need to look at payout as well as probability. Looking at just one of these in isolation can produce a lot of analogies, like you have digged out.

I assume you never flown an airplane...

A plane out of control can be Managed as well with much more space around and with a much greater percentage of recovery. Many things like that happen daily in the world. That is why we get trained to recover from those situations and prevent them in the first place.

If you go out of control in the car at 100 mph, you will not Manage it ever again...

OTMPut
12-09-2011, 05:30 AM
I assume you never flown an airplane...

A plane out of control can be Managed as well with much more space around and with a much greater percentage of recovery. Many things like that happen daily in the world. That is why we get trained to recover from those situations and prevent them in the first place.

If you go out of control in the car at 100 mph, you will not Manage it ever again...

I think i have to disagree. Pilots add little value in terms of crisis recovery or management compared to lets say cab drivers. In the Navy we used to call the pilots, high altitude cabbies.

Fifth Set
12-09-2011, 07:47 AM
No thoughts on airborne operations? I figured if anybody knew more than me, it would be you.

LOL, is this going to be one of those threads where you will require a pilot's license before people comment?!

Too bad they haven't developed a flight jacket tight enough to solve for your insecurity.

pabletion
12-09-2011, 07:57 AM
yeah.... every time I step in an airplane I think that. Then again, I might think about the same thing every time I step out of the house, I ask myself if its going to be my last time I leave the house.... I dont do it because Im hysterical or an alarmist, its just reality, you never know when your time comes up (specially living in one of the most violent cities in the world :( ), so yeah, it is worth thinking from time to time, 'what would happen if I die right now?'

jswinf
12-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I try not to worry about things that are out of my control and have good odds of survival, the alternative being never leaving the house and worrying about earthquakes and meteor strikes.

It's easier to not worry if others don't bring disastrous but rare possibilities up. Maybe some of ya'll could just chill and worry in silent solitude? :)

I remember a bit from a long-ago Bill Cosby routine about him being unpopular on flights because he'd always sit down and say, loudly, "Hope the plane don't crash!"

LuckyR
12-09-2011, 09:11 AM

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/crashes/what-really-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877

What do you when you get into your car?

Dedans Penthouse
12-09-2011, 09:44 AM
No.

But if Alec Baldwin were sitting next to me, I say a silent prayer that it was.

Kevin T
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
My first thought is, "Please God, don't sit me next to another obese and/or non-deodorant wearing foreigner". My second thought is, "Please God, don't sit me next to someone with diarrhea of the mouth". My third thought is The Lord's Prayer. My fourth thought is, "I wonder if they have Jack Daniels or Jim Beam?". That pretty much covers all bases.

r2473
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM
My first thought is, "Please God, don't sit me next to another obese and/or non-deodorant wearing foreigner". My second thought is, "Please God, don't sit me next to someone with diarrhea of the mouth". My third thought is The Lord's Prayer. My fourth thought is, "I wonder if they have Jack Daniels or Jim Beam?". That pretty much covers all bases.

Not me. I always run a little "mental lottery" for which lucky stewardess will soon be (once again?) joining the "mile high club".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqQrD9em3sI

Kevin T
12-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Not me. I always run a little "mental lottery" for which lucky stewardess will soon be (once again?) joining the "mile high club".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqQrD9em3sI

That's funny stuff. I had a hairy friend like that guy back in high school. We called him spider monkey. :)

LeeD
12-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I"m flying in a week to PuertoRico with g/f.
Why is it I've always ended up with the fox of the flight next to me? Almost every trip to Hawaii (maybe 14), couple to Vegas (well, DUH), and several to Corpus and Orlando, I end up sitting next to some unreal (and of course unattainable) beauty, which every guy is checking out.
I'm short, really ugly, normally have zits and bad breath, and anemically skinny. Worse, I"m ridiculously shy and sometimes stutter to think of clever conversational ideas. Even worst, I don't care about money, have low paying jobs, and dress like a slob.
I look over to the next aisle, and the guys are like models wearing Prada. They are giving me stinkeyes.
Sometimes, life is not fair.

ollinger
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I try to keep the odds in mind when I fly. There's something on the order of 100,000 commercial flights every day in the world, works out to over 30 million flights a year, and how many of them end poorly?

Andreas1965
12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I hate to fly. Not because I'm anxious. If god wants me to kick the bucket, he'll do it anyway. Each day I have to drive to my work by car, 20 miles, statistically this is much more dangerous than flying.
I hate it because it's so inconvenient. Airlines seem to cut down your space more and more. 10 hours is the average time from Dusseldorf to NY or Miami. It's like hell. After 4 or 5 hours I just wanna leave the plane. IPods work for about 2 hours. Watching movies on your IPad... ok, another 2 hours. After that your legs and back are killing you. And I always seem to be sitting behind that guy that pushes his seat back as far as possible. Makes me aggressive. Flying is horrible.

Did I mention that only thinking about the 1% chance of maybe needing to take a dump in one of those tiny restrooms makes me... man, I hate flying.

If I'll ever win big time in the lottery I will never ever fly. I'll take a ship. When you're not working, and money ain't an issue, you can afford to travel slow but comfortable.

Fifth Set
12-09-2011, 11:23 AM
If I'll ever win big time in the lottery I will never ever fly. I'll take a ship. When you're not working, and money ain't an issue, you can afford to travel slow but comfortable.

Good plan, except for the pirates. Granted, Somalia is not on the normal ocean route between the US and Europe, but this form of terrorism could spread (recall that skyjacking was not historically an American problem either).

I'm gonna vote for some form of AI/virtual vacationing. Then, only computer viruses and Microsoft's latest buggy OS will be in our way.

Ronaldo
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I"m flying in a week to PuertoRico with g/f.
Why is it I've always ended up with the fox of the flight next to me? Almost every trip to Hawaii (maybe 14), couple to Vegas (well, DUH), and several to Corpus and Orlando, I end up sitting next to some unreal (and of course unattainable) beauty, which every guy is checking out.
I'm short, really ugly, normally have zits and bad breath, and anemically skinny. Worse, I"m ridiculously shy and sometimes stutter to think of clever conversational ideas. Even worst, I don't care about money, have low paying jobs, and dress like a slob.
I look over to the next aisle, and the guys are like models wearing Prada. They are giving me stinkeyes.
Sometimes, life is not fair.

Could not believe hot the women are in San Juan, especially after dark.

Kevin T
12-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Good plan, except for the pirates. Granted, Somalia is not on the normal ocean route between the US and Europe, but this form of terrorism could spread (recall that skyjacking was not historically an American problem either).

I'm gonna vote for some form of AI/virtual vacationing. Then, only computer viruses and Microsoft's latest buggy OS will be in our way.

The Star Trek transporter is coming soon. Just hold out a little bit longer.

Giggs The Red Devil
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
My first and only thought: why did they ban smoking on flights.

thug the bunny
12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Guess I'm the only one here who likes to fly? And I used to fly A LOT for work. When I get a window seat I'm like a little kid, looking at the mountains, rivers, cities...what a beautiful country. I used to love coming into SFO or SEA from the east - up over the mountains and then steep descent, like a roller coaster. And I still love the sensation of take-off. I even love falling asleep to some moderate turbulence..it's kind of soothing.

I remember one time coming into MIA through strong Tsorms, bouncing all over the place. All of a sudden the plane just drops. The cigarettes in my shirt pocket dislodged and hung in the air in front of me in the zero G environment for a couple seconds. Eveyone around me was screaming, and I was like, 'Cool! Let's do that again!'.

Only thing I don't like are delays and the middle seat. I also hate when you're sitting in your seat watching the people board, and then you see him...that human trainwreck approaching. From afar, you can tell that he smells and loves to talk to strangers. And you know with an eery certainty he is going to be sitting right next to you.

jswinf
12-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Why is it I've always ended up with the fox of the flight next to me?

No doubt these women are paying big bucks to switch seats so they can bask in your nearness.

sureshs
12-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Wasn't there a movie like that?

sureshs
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
The first thing I do is to check if I am going to be squeezed between two fat people. Or have a window seat and will have to climb over their fat thighs to go to the bathroom. It is always aisle seat for me. But t have to worry about getting hit by a heavy cart when I doze off and lean over into the aisle.

Traveling coach is such a beatch.

I do it just to be in touch with the unwashed masses.

r2473
12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
When I board a plane these days, I make sure I have some nice stinky Burger King or Panda Express.

Is it still acceptable to take off your shoes and socks?

mikeler
12-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Beat me to it.

mikeler
12-09-2011, 02:09 PM
When I board a plane these days, I make sure I have some nice stinky Burger King or Panda Express.

Thai or Indian food works well too.

Kevin T
12-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Yes. Yes it is.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? :)

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-11-04/news/30357122_1_deadspin-defamation-suit-erin-andrews

Agent Orynge
12-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Guess I'm the only one here who likes to fly? And I used to fly A LOT for work. When I get a window seat I'm like a little kid, looking at the mountains, rivers, cities...what a beautiful country. I used to love coming into SFO or SEA from the east - up over the mountains and then steep descent, like a roller coaster. And I still love the sensation of take-off. I even love falling asleep to some moderate turbulence..it's kind of soothing.

I remember one time coming into MIA through strong Tsorms, bouncing all over the place. All of a sudden the plane just drops. The cigarettes in my shirt pocket dislodged and hung in the air in front of me in the zero G environment for a couple seconds. Eveyone around me was screaming, and I was like, 'Cool! Let's do that again!'.

Only thing I don't like are delays and the middle seat. I also hate when you're sitting in your seat watching the people board, and then you see him...that human trainwreck approaching. From afar, you can tell that he smells and loves to talk to strangers. And you know with an eery certainty he is going to be sitting right next to you.

A couple years ago I was about to fly home on leave, waiting to board. They always board in a particular order, and since I usually buy the pauper seats, I'm generally one of the last ones on the plane. So, they board individual parents with kids first, and I see this lady with a stroller and two noisy kids head on board, and I think to myself "Sucks to be whoever has to sit next to them." Twenty minutes later I finally make it onto the plane myself, and I'm looking back and forth between my ticket and where I think my seat should be, and it finally dawns on me that it's right by where that lady is sitting. The whole time I'm shuffling down the aisle I'm thinking to myself "Oh god no. No no no no no." Yes. I was RIGHT between her two kids.

One of the very last times I flew, almost the entire crew from some Denzel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477080/) movie was on board, flying with me from Pitt to Los Angeles. I knew this because one of them was talking very loudly about it to another passenger. At any rate, it took me a while but I finally realized the cute lady talking to some old dude (presumably the director or a producer) was actually Rosario Dawson. True story.

adamX012
12-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I just had a vietnamese pho, a pork chop, and a spring roll one hour ago (what a big meal). I am drinking a bottle of Mike's hard canberry lemonadae. I am heading to the airport again.

jmverdugo
12-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I jump on plain around 6 times a year ( I just arrived to Panama today), depending on the final destination (I visit plants that are in very remote places) I usually start on an big one and finish on a really small one. In my case that feeling of lack of control actually helps me, I just think: well, there is nothing you can do to prevent something going wrong, and not only that but if something does go wrong it will be the end for sure! - so there is really no point on worry about it. When things get scary on a plane I tend to smile - same thing happens to me in a roller coaster, I really do not know why, it is not like I am not scared, it is actually involuntary.

jmverdugo
12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
A couple years ago I was about to fly home on leave, waiting to board. They always board in a particular order, and since I usually buy the pauper seats, I'm generally one of the last ones on the plane. So, they board individual parents with kids first, and I see this lady with a stroller and two noisy kids head on board, and I think to myself "Sucks to be whoever has to sit next to them." Twenty minutes later I finally make it onto the plane myself, and I'm looking back and forth between my ticket and where I think my seat should be, and it finally dawns on me that it's right by where that lady is sitting. The whole time I'm shuffling down the aisle I'm thinking to myself "Oh god no. No no no no no." Yes. I was RIGHT between her two kids.

One of the very last times I flew, almost the entire crew from some Denzel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477080/) movie was on board, flying with me from Pitt to Los Angeles. I knew this because one of them was talking very loudly about it to another passenger. At any rate, it took me a while but I finally realized the cute lady talking to some old dude (presumably the director or a producer) was actually Rosario Dawson. True story.

I usually do not need to know my seat number, I just jump to the airplane and look for the biggest fat person on the plane and sure thing my seat will be the one next to him, it is fail proof.

Agent Orynge
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I usually do not need to know my seat number, I just jump to the airplane and look for the biggest fat person on the plane and sure thing my seat will be the one next to him, it is fail proof.

Ah, so you're familiar with the amended version of Murphy's Law as well: if there's a way I can be screwed, it will happen.

coolblue123
12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
great.. why am I checking this thread while I am about to take off?

someone should call this thread, "pls don't click here if u are about to take off..."

Agent Orynge
12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
great.. why am I checking this thread while I am about to take off?

someone should call this thread, "pls don't click here if u are about to take off..."

On Ft. Bragg, they play music every weekday from 6:30 - 7:45 (from reveille until the end of PT), all up and down Ardennes Street, which is the main thoroughfare for morning PT. Some of it is inspirational, some of it is running cadence, and one of the songs is called Blood Upon the Risers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2c3iKzVfv8). I ran to that music for years. Suffice it to say, I could not get the chorus out of my head everytime I was sitting on a C-130, waiting to jump out.

Gory gory, what a hell of way to die...

Agent Orynge
12-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Thai or Indian food works well too.

Just don't eat the fish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGR65CXaNA).

chollyred
12-12-2011, 05:15 AM
I used to fly alot for business. The worst flight I ever had was from O'Hare to ATL in a little bitty ****er. 21 rows with only 2 seats on each side of the aisle. I swear they mispelled the name of the plane. Sure enough, an absolutely gorgeous blond sits next to me (a short fat guy). Turns out that this is her first time on a plane. Due to severe turbulence, we bounced like a ping-pong ball all the way to Atlanta. Everyone, including the stewardesses, had to stay strapped in the whole flight. I'm white knuckling the arm rests and trying to put on a brave face for the blonde, who is scared to death. There were several moments when the thought crossed my mind that we were going down. I never could figure out how the wings stayed on that thing. When we finally touched down in Atlanta, you could see the visible relief on the stewardess' faces.

Every flight after that has been a breeze, but there's always the thought in back of my mind.

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 05:17 AM
When I board a plane, everyone else gets edgy.

dParis
12-12-2011, 06:24 AM
When I board a plane, everyone else gets edgy.
Can you blame them..?

:)

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Can you blame them..?

:)
Seriously, people say I look Palestinian. I am tall and gaunt like Delpo, wheatish (that's our word for brown), sharp eyes ...
Being ugly doesn't make matters better.

Yeah, I've never blamed them.

I try to put passengers at ease by carrying a teddy bear with me to airports. And talking with it constantly.

thug the bunny
12-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Seriously, people say I look Palestinian. I am tall and gaunt like Delpo, wheatish (that's our word for brown), sharp eyes ...

I try to put passengers at ease by carrying a teddy bear with me to airports. And talking with it constantly.

A teddy bear bomb. Now that's really scary.

dParis
12-12-2011, 06:53 AM

I was going to suggest carring a baby with you but the teddy bear could be effective too and keeps Interpol off your *** for child abduction.

Ronaldo
12-12-2011, 08:36 AM
I was going to suggest carring a baby with you but the teddy bear could be effective too and keeps Interpol off your *** for child abduction.

Get a Talking Teddy

NLBwell
12-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Every day I look at the mountains and thank God for being alive and living in such a beautiful place and being lucky enough to be born in such a great country. (Remember, if all the world's weath were divided equally we would all be fighting hunger - anyone not hungry is lucky.)

I've survived a blown ulcer where I almost bled out and died - spent 10 days in ICU, acute pancreatitis from a gallstone that essentially caused my pancreas to eat itself - surgeon said I was 50/50 on living (some long-term effects, but I'm surviving and playing tennis), and having my brakes go out going down Vail pass where I somehow navigated through the trees, around the stopped cars, flew 50 feet through the air according to the police (no tire marks in the snow) and landed in the snow just short of the accident that caused the stopped traffic in the first place.

I figure God wants me alive right now. I don't stress about getting on a plane.

ttbrowne
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Got a buddy who writes his name in magic marker on his torso before flying. I said "What you do that for??" He said, "In case of plane crash and my head and limbs get torn off." Crazy!

r2473
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
(Remember, if all the world's weath were divided equally we would all be fighting hunger - anyone not hungry is lucky.)

http://www.gapminder.org/data-blog/food-supply-per-capita-added/

TourTenor
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
having my brakes go out going down Vail pass where I somehow navigated through the trees, around the stopped cars, flew 50 feet through the air according to the police (no tire marks in the snow) and landed in the snow just short of the accident that caused the stopped traffic in the first place.

Hey Chevy, is that you?

r2473
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Hey Chevy, is that you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfmKwgrQzdE&feature=related

adamX012
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Before my plane touched down in NJ/NYC area last night, I looked out the darkness aside the left wing. What I saw is the reflection of million stars in the dark sea. It was amazing beautiful and so peaceful. There was a moment I questioned myself, am I seriously in L***?

Next month, I would bring myself a light woody blanket when I am heading back home... where my job is....

thug the bunny
12-14-2011, 05:56 AM
am I seriously in L***?

No idea. Where?

a light woody blanket

Made of bark, I'm guessing?

dParis
12-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Before my plane touched down in NJ/NYC area last night, I looked out the darkness aside the left wing. What I saw is the reflection of million stars in the dark sea. It was amazing beautiful and so peaceful. There was a moment I questioned myself, am I seriously in L***?

Next month, I would bring myself a light woody blanket when I am heading back home... where my job is....
Please find Tina and bring her back to the TT boards!

Agent Orynge
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
No idea. Where?

Well, he's not pulling up roots and moving to NY permanently, but the prolonged trip is making him pine for home.

albino smurf
12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
L****?????

Agent Orynge
12-14-2011, 03:39 PM
L****?????

I think it's near F***ville

jswinf
12-14-2011, 06:47 PM
I would bring myself a light woody blanket

I think this is something to conceal a state of male sexual excitement...

I think it's near F***ville

If I had been drinking something when I read that it would have been coming out my nose.

adamX012
12-15-2011, 07:39 AM
No idea. Where?

Thank you for the meaningful questions! I am guessing you are currently employed (as a full time worker) and you are a scientist in your late 30. Bravo, love to be friend with you.

1) It's just a place that I won for the jackpots a few times.
2) Have you noticed airlines do not provide customers a nice/the warmest blanket nowadays? Made from Sheep hair is my favorite-Wool product.

Happy Holidays!