PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: LA acquires Pujols for 10-year/$254-million deal

sportsfan1
12-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Off topic for this board, but it's sit up and take notice kind of stuff... 10y/$254m for a guy who will be 32 years old in a month, and 42 at the end of the term?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1209-angels-pujols-wilson-20111209,0,3697614.story

Fearsome Forehand
12-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I doubt he will finish out the contract and there is probably a buy out clause.

Great player. Too bad he couldn't stay with the Cards but you can't blame him for taking the big payday.

TMF
12-08-2011, 11:20 PM
It was a huge win for the LA Angels...they also acquired all-star C. J. Wilson from the Rangers.

Feņa14
12-09-2011, 01:40 AM
It was a huge win for the LA Angels...they also acquired all-star C. J. Wilson from the Rangers.

Yup, Wilson flew under the radar a bit after the big story earlier in the day. As an Angels fan i'm delighted with both, obviously. We were short of fire power last year so Pujols on paper is ideal.

813wilson
12-09-2011, 05:03 AM
I doubt he will finish out the contract and there is probably a buy out clause.

Great player. Too bad he couldn't stay with the Cards but you can't blame him for taking the big payday.

I agree he may not finish the contract. I guess I don't understand when "enough money is enough". I can't blame him for taking the payday but.

10 years for 254 million - works out to 25.4 per versus
9 years for 198 million - works out to 22 per.

I wonder what he'll do with all the extra money?

sportsfan1
12-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Well, Pujols is obviously up there with the best hitters. But what if his production drops off in a few years, it would be interesting to lookup the buyout clause.
As for Pujols (and other players in similar situation), they are probably thinking, justifiably, make hay while the sun shines, cos they have no guarantees with all the injuries and stuff they gotta deal with.

jamesblakefan#1
12-09-2011, 08:31 AM
The Yankees are already regretting the contract they gave to A-Rod a few years back, though Pujols is a lot better than A-Rod at this stage. The Angels have to win a WS within 4 years or else this will be looked at in the same light.

813wilson
12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Well, Pujols is obviously up there with the best hitters. But what if his production drops off in a few years, it would be interesting to lookup the buyout clause.
As for Pujols (and other players in similar situation), they are probably thinking, justifiably, make hay while the sun shines, cos they have no guarantees with all the injuries and stuff they gotta deal with.

Someone will clarify it for me - but I believe, in baseball, if you've got a contract it is paid even if injured and don't play. Unlike football(American) where there are no guaranteed contracts - that is why so many receive huge "signing bonuses".

Fearsome Forehand
12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I agree he may not finish the contract. I guess I don't understand when "enough money is enough". I can't blame him for taking the payday but.

10 years for 254 million - works out to 25.4 per versus
9 years for 198 million - works out to 22 per.

I wonder what he'll do with all the extra money?

Pay a portion of his taxes? :)

The other thing in play is now he is in one of the biggest media markets so that is worth a lot in terms of endorsements, etc. He was a star in St Louis, but he would have been a much bigger star had he played in NY, LA or Chicago.

Regardless, a lot of money for hitting a ball with a stick. Good for him.

jamesblakefan#1
12-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Pay a portion of his taxes? :)

The other thing in play is now he is in one of the biggest media markets so that is worth a lot in terms of endorsements, etc. He was a star in St Louis, but he would have been a much bigger star had he played in NY, LA or Chicago.

Regardless, a lot of money for hitting a ball with a stick. Good for him.

I actually don't buy this argument anymore. Sure you get more exposure in those places, good and bad, but if you're good enough you'll get the shine anywhere. Look at the biggest star in the NFL arguably - Peyton Manning. Plenty of endorsements, and he plays in Indy. In the NBA, LeBron was a star even before he left Cleveland and would have kept being a star had he stayed there. Kevin Durant's become a big star playing in OKC of all places.

He'll probably get more $$$ from endorsements, but Pujols is already a well known star to most people. If you play well enough, you'll get exposure anywhere. It's not like St.Louis is a small town anyways, it's one of the most well known franchises in baseball outside of the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers...I'd argue St. Louis as a franchise is more well known than Anaheim. Though of course there's that farce of changing their name to the LAAoA a few years back.

sportsfan1
12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
And I wonder if STL with its comparatively lower profile suited Pujols better than LA - we will see.