PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Pioneer DC

Simbah2004
04-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Opinions are appreciated, since this seems to be the cheapest higher quality drop weight around. Thanks.

10isbum
05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
The Alpha Pioneer is a well built machine and would recommend if you are not planning to do high volumn, more or less for personal use and friends. I break a clutch spring about every 35 to 100 string jobs. The spring is replaced free of charge during warantee period but a pain to replace right in the middle of a string job. Also, need to replace the rachester drum but not available from Alpha so not sure what kind of inventory they carry if machine breaks down. I've strung about 1500 racket and the machine has paid for itself but the wear and tear is starting to show. Easy to use. All you have to do is line up the two marks each time you pull the strings and this would probably result in the same amount of force each time. Six point mounting system and fix clamps work well. My first machine was a two point mounting and at time, had some side movement when pulling cross strings and was uncomfortable using so much force to hold down racket. If you have any specific questions in mind, I would be glad to answer them.

Simbah2004
05-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Thank you very much. First of all, why did you choose this machine? I will be stringing for myself with Prince Synthetic Gut 17 with Duraflex... Are they easy to install? Can I reach consistent results on a drop weight every time?

10isbum
05-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Having strung on an archaic drop weight, I knew some feature which I would like and those would be the six point mounting system, ratchet drum, and fix clamps. Also wanted reputable firm. That left me two manufactures which would be Alpha and Gamma. The Gamma had plastic clamps and thought the metal clamps would give me longer service. Prices were about the same and the Alpha seem to come with a better string package.

String jobs are consistent as long as you check to see if the clamps are not slipping. Prince Syn gut with DF is very easy to string since it doesn't stretch that much and difficult to inadvertently break. With experience, your string jobs will be more consistent especially when your dwell time is about the same on each pull.

However, my original intention were to string for myself and family and once fellow players find you can string, you will be asked and then the string inventory goes up along with the type of strings such as poly, kevlar, multi, single core, and natural gut. Also keep in mind, once you begin to string, you may be more incline to try new strings, cut them out sooner, try more expensive strings, etc.

Simbah2004
05-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Thank you very much, really appreciated it (: