PDA

View Full Version : Newcombe: "Djokovic is really going to struggle the first six months of next year"

celoft
12-10-2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/federer-can-climb-the-mountain-again-newk-20111208-1olbq.html

Views on Djokovic, Nadal and Federer from John Newcombe (7 singles grand slam titles, 17 doubles grand slam titles):

“Djokovic is really going to struggle the first six months of next year - he’s really knocked himself out…He’s just won so many matches, and it’s been pretty obvious, even at the US Open, he was struggling. I even thought he was struggling at Wimbledon against Bernard [Tomic], but he was able to pull himself together…He was very lucky to win the US Open, because Roger should never have lost that match from where he was. And now since the US Open, there’s injuries, a sore shoulder, a sore back, and when you watch him playing, he’s running on three cylinders, so I’d say that his body, it’s given in. It’s not a lot of time to suddenly suck it up and start the year again and defend everything that he won last year, so I think it will be a superhuman effort for him to repeat the six months that he had. It was an amazing run, and that is very hard to defend.”

“It’s not going to surprise me if, by the end of July next year, Roger is very close to being No.1 again.”

“With Rafa, it’s like the heavyweight champion of the world that’s never been knocked out, and suddenly, gets knocked out six times within the space of six months by Djokovic. He doesn’t have the same self-belief any more. All of a sudden he’s having to face things, questions, that he’s never doubted. So it’s a question of can he get his head around this whole thing, and come back to where he was?”

Fate Archer
12-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Federer for the Golden CYGS. :)

kishnabe
12-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Djokovic defintly won't defend what he did last year but he will manage with some semis, finals and wins.

Hominator
12-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Even though I like both Djokovic and Nadal, I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I guess we'll see in a few weeks or so...

celoft
12-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Djokovic's only slam win next year turns out to be the USO. Like Federer only defended the USO in 2008 after winning the AO/Wimbledon/USO trio in 2007.

tennis_pro
12-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Djokovic's only slam win next year turns out to be the USO. Like Federer only defended the USO in 2008 after winning the AO/Wimbledon/USO trio in 2007.

but he also defended Wimbledon/US in 2005, 2006 and AO/Wimbledon/US in 2007

I actually see Djokovic defending the AO and US titles next year, not sure about Wimbledon, tho

Talker
12-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Djokovic should be good next year, he's young and those injuries were nothing that rest can't take care of.

Dream_On
12-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Djokovic will win the French and the US. Del Potro/Murray will win the AO sparking talk of a repeat of djokovic's this year, and then Federer will bag the Olympics and Wimbledon.

Sentinel
12-10-2011, 08:28 AM
We really need to bookmark all these predictions older players are making about Noel, Roger and Ralphie, and see as the year progresses.

Clarky21
12-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Nope. He will be back to sweeping the season again just like he did this year. I do not buy his injury claims or his claims of fatigue,either. He will be fine.

Mick
12-10-2011, 08:46 AM
newcome doubts djokovic and nadal could maintain/reclaim their positions but he believes federer could move up close to the no. 1 position despite being 5, 6 years older than his rivals ? :)

Cup8489
12-10-2011, 08:48 AM
newcome doubts djokovic and nadal could maintain/reclaim their positions but he believes federer could move up close to the no. 1 position despite being 5, 6 years older than his rivals ? :)

He's the only one of the three not in a total mess right now. Neither of the top two guys came CLOSE to making it out of the RR stage in London, and while Rafa contributed to the davis cup win, I am having doubts about his ability to recover mentally from the results this year.

If Fed starts the year well, with a possible W in AO, who knows what could happen?

ahuimanu
12-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Should be interesting to see how Djokovic does in 2012. Hope he comes out strong and has a repeat year.

Interestingly, my longtime hitting partner was courtside when Newcombe retired from competitive play after losing a very tight match to Bjorn Borg (late 70's WCT).

He was extremely impressed with Newcombe's "self-awarness" as he stepped up to the mike after, apologies to the fans, and openly stated that his time had come, that he no longer had what it took to stay at the top level of tennis...wondering if Newk is really onto something...certainly been there before...

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/federer-can-climb-the-mountain-again-newk-20111208-1olbq.html

Views on Djokovic, Nadal and Federer from John Newcombe (7 singles grand slam titles, 17 doubles grand slam titles):

“Djokovic is really going to struggle the first six months of next year - he’s really knocked himself out…He’s just won so many matches, and it’s been pretty obvious, even at the US Open, he was struggling. I even thought he was struggling at Wimbledon against Bernard [Tomic], but he was able to pull himself together…He was very lucky to win the US Open, because Roger should never have lost that match from where he was. And now since the US Open, there’s injuries, a sore shoulder, a sore back, and when you watch him playing, he’s running on three cylinders, so I’d say that his body, it’s given in. It’s not a lot of time to suddenly suck it up and start the year again and defend everything that he won last year, so I think it will be a superhuman effort for him to repeat the six months that he had. It was an amazing run, and that is very hard to defend.”

“It’s not going to surprise me if, by the end of July next year, Roger is very close to being No.1 again.”

“With Rafa, it’s like the heavyweight champion of the world that’s never been knocked out, and suddenly, gets knocked out six times within the space of six months by Djokovic. He doesn’t have the same self-belief any more. All of a sudden he’s having to face things, questions, that he’s never doubted. So it’s a question of can he get his head around this whole thing, and come back to where he was?”

Mick
12-10-2011, 08:56 AM
He's the only one of the three not in a total mess right now. Neither of the top two guys came CLOSE to making it out of the RR stage in London, and while Rafa contributed to the davis cup win, I am having doubts about his ability to recover mentally from the results this year.

If Fed starts the year well, with a possible W in AO, who knows what could happen?

I hope federer will do well in 2012 but tennis is a very physical sports and being older than your rivals doesn't help, that is for sure. to pull this off, federer would have to raise his level so that his matches against the top players next year won't become a battle of fitness.

Cup8489
12-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I hope federer will do well in 2012 but tennis is a very physical sports and being older than your rivals doesn't help, that is for sure. to pull this off, federer would have to raise his level so that his matches against the top players next year won't become a battle of fitness.

I agree. But, this would depend on if this major rivals are able to make it deep enough to face Federer... if he gets that far as well. And, who better equiped to make the matches more about shotmaking than Fitness? :)

BeHappy
12-10-2011, 09:37 AM
The thing about the calendar is: Apart from the Australian Open, all the majors are within 3 months of each other. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he didn't bomb the first 6 months to give himself time to recover and build up to the slam season.

Sampras did this to great effect throughout his career. It's all about the June-September.

merlinpinpin
12-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Well, Newcombe may be totally wrong in the end, but seeing the respective forms of the top 3 at the end of the season, it's hard to fault his logic right now. Sure, Djokovic's got a huge lead coming into the 2012 season, but he will need to be much more reliable than he'e ever been at defending his titles (at the moment, he's only marginally more succesfull than Nadal is outside clay, and that is saying something, considering that the Spaniard never managed to defend a non-clay event :shock:). Not saying that he will lose all 10 of them, but I would be surprised if he keeps, say, even half of them. Besides, history shows that it's mighty hard to win at least two slams in a year after managing a 'small slam'. Look how many players have managed to do it since the beginning of the open era...

So yes, Federer faces quite an uphill battle (a 5,460 pts deficit), but a win at the AO with Djokovic going out at the semi-final stage and he would close almost half this gap, so who knows? The AO sure looks crucial, though. We'll see.

zagor
12-10-2011, 10:25 AM
2012 is gonna be majestic.

ImAGrinch
12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
I think Nadal will regain #1, and Fed and Djoker will battle for #2. Nadal will again defend RG. One of the Big 3 will take Wimbledon.

As for USO and AO, I think there will be a new first-timer taking at least one of those.

Legend of Borg
12-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Last tennis season before the world ends.

Roger had better make this one good..........

Bjorn99
12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I think that is a very fair assessment.

slice bh compliment
12-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I do not entirely agree with it, but I mos def see Newk's perspective. He's Australian, so he mentioned the tough Tomic match. Naturally.
He's outspoken and honest about being a Federer fan. Gracious about Djokr's achievements, but you can tell he's not a fan. Nothing new there: a lot of purists and greats from the past have a strange dislike for the Djokr. I think it has something to do with his persona.

Like most of his ilk, Newk's rooting for Rog. Kind of helps that Rog was coached by Peter Carter and the great Tony Roche.

CocaCola
12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Djokovic was also mentally and physically drained at 2007 WTF where he ended with 0-6 set score and then he went on to win AO '08. Of course it's not the same now, but my point is that you can't make these kind of predictions and base them on something more serious than astrology.

cc0509
12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Nope, don't buy Newcombe's assessment of Djokovic at all. Djokovic just had his best season ever and a season that has landed him on tennis lists for best seasons in tennis history and he is just going to fade out in 2012? How stupid is that logic? The only thing wrong with Djokovic is that he is a bit of a wimp and he mentally checked out after the USO to save himself physically and mentally for the slams in 2012. Not exactly the thing for a number one in the world to do, but, he did it nonetheless. He may not win as much as he did in 2011 but I still see him winning at least 2 slams next year and having a strong season. Right now I think he will win the AO although I will have to wait and see the play from the top 4 at the start of the AO to know for sure.

Honestly I think Newcombe is in lala land on this one and I am a Federer fan.

bullfan
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I think it's too early to make any assessments.... Djokovic knows he can do it, but, at the same time, folks smell fish in the water, much the same as they may for Nadal after his 2011.

SirGounder
12-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised if he started the year off slowly but not the first 6 months. His form in Australia will really depend on how much training he was able to do beforehand. Hopefully his injuries healed quickly and he is able to train, otherwise it will be a tough start.

Nathaniel_Near
12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
2012 will be a tennis year to remember, book it!

cc0509
12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I think it's too early to make any assessments.... Djokovic knows he can do it, but, at the same time, folks smell fish in the water, much the same as they may for Nadal after his 2011.

What fish in the water? Djokovic was mentally out from the USO onward. He was not even trying, it is so obvious when you watch most of his post USO matches. He was just trying to conserve energy. He knew his year in 2011 was already outstanding and he basically bailed on the rest of the year. He will be primed and ready to go at the AO. If I am wrong, I will take it back at that time.

Nadal's situation at the end of 2011 is nothing like Djokovic's as Nadal has clearly been struggling for 2011(for him) while Djokovic is at his peak and had the best year he has ever had. No comparison between the two imo. Djokovic will definitely have the upper hand over Nadal in 2012 unless Nadal has made changes or Djokovic's form drops considerably.

Sentinel
12-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Last tennis season before the world ends.

Roger had better make this one good..........
LOL!
And yes, totally with you!
2012 is gonna be majestic.
Lol, DC majestic :D

2012 will be a tennis year to remember, book it!
Yes, as LoB was saying.

Bobby Jr
12-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Whenever people read something said by Pat Cash, they should go and see what John Newcombe says for a reality check.

I reckon Newcombe's call on Djokovic is a pretty good one. Djokovic's immense achievements felt to me like they came at a lot more physical and mental expense than when Federer had his similar years.

1970CRBase
12-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Whenever people read something said by Pat Cash, they should go and see what John Newcombe says for a reality check.

I reckon Newcombe's call on Djokovic is a pretty good one. Djokovic's immense achievements felt to me like they came at a lot more physical and mental expense than when Federer had his similar years.

in 2006, for example, Fed was still breezing at the end of the year and then at the start of 2007 he was fresh as a daisy destroying everybody at AO and then all thru the way to USO 2007 and we got used to it, it looked so easy for him. Of course, 2008 wasn't good because of mono, but that's a different story. Maybe other posters could be correct in their conjecture that Djok tanked the end of 2011 to conserve his energy for coming AO, if so, it proves just how far extended 2011 was for him and how much the year took out of him. Only 14 year olds talk about Djok "pwning" Nad, as if this were some vid game, I suspect these two guys have gutted each other after titanic contest after titanic contest in 2011. Each should win at least one slam a piece next year but I am skeptical now that 2012 will completely belong to either.

000KFACTOR90000
12-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Djokovic seems to make good use of the off season (egg:)).

I'm thinking he'll be fit and ready by the Aussie open.

nadalwon2012
12-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Djokovic should be good next year, he's young and those injuries were nothing that rest can't take care of.

No time for rest, not with this schedule. And young? Del Potro is young too....but....doesn't seem to help in tennis. Some guys are just not made for the grind. Djokovic has always had problems with the grind.

nadalwon2012
12-11-2011, 03:46 AM
I do not entirely agree with it, but I mos def see Newk's perspective. He's Australian, so he mentioned the tough Tomic match. Naturally.
He's outspoken and honest about being a Federer fan. Gracious about Djokr's achievements, but you can tell he's not a fan. Nothing new there: a lot of purists and greats from the past have a strange dislike for the Djokr. I think it has something to do with his persona.

Like most of his ilk, Newk's rooting for Rog. Kind of helps that Rog was coached by Peter Carter and the great Tony Roche.

The only thing that Newk is missing in terms of logic is the idea that Federer would take over from Djokovic, when Nadal continued to dominate Federer outdoors in 2011. Nadal has no mental problem with Federer. The 6 losses to Djokovic have no impact on Nadal's performance against other players. He's been more consistent than ever.

slice bh compliment
12-11-2011, 03:56 AM
I agree. I think Newk was just letting his inner Fedfan out for a moment.
As much as I root for Tsonga, Muzza, Rafa, and I'm completely in love with tennis...and I will never, ever buy that a player could ever be larger than the game.....
I do feel like Newk, hopelessly optimistic about RF. I have been around tennis since 1974 or so (not nearly as long as Newk), but, love RF and I can hardly imagine the men's game w/o him.

Somehow Rog has had that effect on people of all ages, including people in our 40s and older. I guess my dad's generation might have felt this way about Laver and Hoad.

Nathaniel_Near
12-11-2011, 04:10 AM
Newc is just implying that Nadal and Djokovic have knocked themselves out so there's a chance Fed could have a sniff next season of Nadal's fingers.

stringertom
12-11-2011, 07:53 AM
In a nutshell, our tennis troika is much like heavyweight boxing's 70's era...Ali (read Fed) battled Frazier (read Nadal) so ferociously into an abyss for both that it allowed Foreman (read Djok) to step into the void. Re-enter Ali (Rumble in the Jungle). Re-enter Fed...AO'12, no?

celoft
12-11-2011, 07:59 AM
In a nutshell, our tennis troika is much like heavyweight boxing's 70's era...Ali (read Fed) battled Frazier (read Nadal) so ferociously into an abyss for both that it allowed Foreman (read Djok) to step into the void. Re-enter Ali (Rumble in the Jungle). Re-enter Fed...AO'12, no?

Good analogy.

nadalwon2012
12-11-2011, 08:01 AM
The boxing analogy is pointless, because we don't know what happens in 2012. Nothing runs parallel by design. And if you try to predict the pattern... you lose at some point. In 2007, who thought Federer's stranglehold over the tour would end in 2008? In 2008 who thought Nadal would lose Roland Garros in 2009? In 2009, who thought Nadal would win 3 slams in 2010? In 2010, who thought Djokovic would win 3 slams in 2011? The tennis community/fans keep getting it wrong, over and over and over again.

tennis_pro
12-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Who's going to stop him in the first half of the season, then, Johny?

Wilander Fan
12-11-2011, 08:19 AM

2012 seems alot less cut and dried. In addition to Murray, who must be experiencing soul crushing anxiety for not breaking through and is far the most motivated in the top ten, you have Tsonga, Ferrer, Fish and Berdych. Gasquet is probably the second most motivated player and is slowly getting more and more dangerous. He is really just a small breakthrough away from joining the top 5.

tennis_pro
12-11-2011, 08:36 AM
2012 seems alot less cut and dried. In addition to Murray, who must be experiencing soul crushing anxiety for not breaking through and is far the most motivated in the top ten, you have Tsonga, Ferrer, Fish and Berdych. Gasquet is probably the second most motivated player and is slowly getting more and more dangerous. He is really just a small breakthrough away from joining the top 5.

Only agree about Tsonga, not only he's the most in-form player next to Federer, he's always caused Djokovic problems (5-3 h2h, should've been 6-3 if Djokovic didn't withdraw from the Paris QF).

The rest you mentioned, Fish, Berdych, Ferrer, Gasquet (come on..) even Murray are non factors against a fit Djokovic.

Sentinel
12-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Newc is just implying that Nadal and Djokovic have knocked themselves out so there's a chance Fed could have a sniff next season of Nadal's fingers.
I wish I knew enough English to understand what that line means. If Nadal is knocked out, how can Fed smell his fingers.

Anyway, let it be. es complicado.

stringertom
12-11-2011, 08:54 AM
The boxing analogy is pointless, because we don't know what happens in 2012. Nothing runs parallel by design. And if you try to predict the pattern... you lose at some point. In 2007, who thought Federer's stranglehold over the tour would end in 2008? In 2008 who thought Nadal would lose Roland Garros in 2009? In 2009, who thought Nadal would win 3 slams in 2010? In 2010, who thought Djokovic would win 3 slams in 2011? The tennis community/fans keep getting it wrong, over and over and over again.

Believe what you want (Bullz1lla)! After all, you're the one claiming Djok has knocked himself out with the 6-0 '11 marathon vs Ralph. I believe they are BOTH down for the count from their epic struggles. And, before you use the "indoor GOAT" card, Fed is primed to step into any void produced by the Djokdal '11 campaign. '12 is gonna be a joy to watch! So much can happen.

Mike Sams
12-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Only agree about Tsonga, not only he's the most in-form player next to Federer, he's always caused Djokovic problems (5-3 h2h, should've been 6-3 if Djokovic didn't withdraw from the Paris QF).

The rest you mentioned, Fish, Berdych, Ferrer, Gasquet (come on..) even Murray are non factors against a fit Djokovic.

Djokovic has won 3 of the last 4 meetings against Tsonga.

markwillplay
12-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I can see it. Joker has put in a ton of work and his style is VERY tough on the body. I think that he just out Nadaled Nadal last year but both of those guys play a similar style..I think Joker is just a slightly better over all athlete and though their game is similar, his physicality and new mental toughness got him over the hump. Having said that, Roger's game is much "easier on the body" and I don't think he hurts himself as much over an "entire season' as either of those other two....never has. I would not predict Roger becoming number 1 again but it would not blow me away to see it nor would it suprise me if Joker does indeed fail physically quicker. Just watching him play makes me exhausted.

rodrigoamaral
12-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't know about struggling but it all comes down to how he handles all of the pressure in 2012..

nadalwon2012
12-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Murray already beat Djokovic this year on hard. And Murray almost beat 100% peak Djokovic on clay earlier in the year. I see a shift coming in their rivalry.

cc0509
12-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Murray already beat Djokovic this year on hard. And Murray almost beat 100% peak Djokovic on clay earlier in the year. I see a shift coming in their rivalry.

An almost win does not count. Djokovic will continue to dominate. He's not going anywhere just yet IMO.

Fate Archer
12-12-2011, 12:19 AM
The tennis community/fans keep getting it wrong, over and over and over again.

And who could possibly say this any better than one of the all time FAIL posters on these boards, Mr. bullgira/Rafito_Slam_King??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PCXL-Fan
12-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Newcombes old rusty brain can't compute that these are different circumstances and a different player.
Djokovic should be able to maintain #1 and will again be in top form come AO12

vernonbc
12-12-2011, 01:26 AM
An almost win does not count. Djokovic will continue to dominate. He's not going anywhere just yet IMO.
The hypocrisy on this board is too funny for words. "An almost win does not count"???? Have you seen the gazillion posts that have talked about all of Fed's hypothetical 'almost wins'?

Bobby Jr
12-12-2011, 01:56 AM
It's basically only four weeks until these guys need to be playing at 100% - so that will be barely six weeks since Djokovic was seriously struggling with a shoulder niggle. It is entirely feasible, if that was related to the amount of playing he did that it will not be at 100% until October as it was this year - especially since the first few months of the year are gruelling in terms of court conditions. It would only take the slightest niggle - costing him a few % on his serve - for Djokovic to be struggling to defend many thousands of points over the course of the first half of the year.

If that happened then just who is primed to pick up those points or whether they will get split amongst a group is yet to be seen.

12-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Peter Bodo:
"Although Djokovic's level of mid-2011 may be impossible to sustain, his decline in the fall has not only given him plenty of time for rest and rehab, it's also apt to make him hungry and more eager to get rolling in 2012. And that has to make the other members of tennis' big four somewhat uneasy, especially when you factor in the degree in which those hard courts in Melbourne love Djokovic's game."
http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/name/bodo_peter/id/7335155/tennis-novak-djokovic-doldrums-best

Bobby Jr
12-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Peter Bodo:
"[I]Although Djokovic's level of mid-2011 may be impossible to sustain, his decline in the fall has not only given him plenty of time for rest and rehab, it's also apt to make him hungry and more eager to get rolling in 2012....
Bobo is a muppet.

Djokovic was last playing, with an injured shoulder, only a few days before Federer, Tsonga, Berdych etc's last competitive matches. His rest/recovery time is basically no different to any of those guys.

Nathaniel_Near
12-12-2011, 03:00 AM
I wish I knew enough English to understand what that line means. If Nadal is knocked out, how can Fed smell his fingers.

Anyway, let it be. es complicado.

I'll elaborate then. It means that Roger can have a chance to sniff the fingers of Nadal, with his nose, after they've been used on his arse crack/bum **** thing. By extension, that Federer might not be so far away from the top spot again, but currently his nose isn't close at all to Nadal's well used digits.

stringertom
12-12-2011, 03:27 AM
I'll elaborate then. It means that Roger can have a chance to sniff the fingers of Nadal, with his nose, after they've been used on his arse crack/bum **** thing. By extension, that Federer might not be so far away from the top spot again, but currently his nose isn't close at all to Nadal's well used digits.

I hope paramedics are deployed when said event occurs. That will not be a Lindt 90% Excellence aroma.

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Peter Bodo:
"Although Djokovic's level of mid-2011 may be impossible to sustain, his decline in the fall has not only given him plenty of time for rest and rehab, it's also apt to make him hungry and more eager to get rolling in 2012. And that has to make the other members of tennis' big four somewhat uneasy, especially when you factor in the degree in which those hard courts in Melbourne love Djokovic's game."
http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/name/bodo_peter/id/7335155/tennis-novak-djokovic-doldrums-best

When Bobo is on board, you know something bad is about to happen. Just ask Andy Murray...

SLD76
12-12-2011, 05:00 AM
When Bobo is on board, you know something bad is about to happen. Just ask Andy Murray...

anyone who doesnt have their head up their azz with ****ism can clearly see that 2012 will be a wide open season.

all of the big 4 have questions about them, not to mention guys like tsonga, berdych and delpo who could step up and if not snag a major, at least overturn the apple cart with upsets.

I dont believe at all that djoker 'tanked' everything post the US open( although I admit its possible). I think he does have legit physical concerns. I think rafa's game is questionable at the moment and who knows where his body is going physically. Who knows if Fed has enough to last at majors anymore, who knows where Murray will be mentally.

Lots of legit questions for 2012.

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I hope paramedics are deployed when said event occurs. That will not be a Lindt 90% Excellence aroma.
6-4 6-0.

Or was that 6-3 6-0 ? Why can't I recall.

p.s. Rafa fans talk about a different kind of "chocolate factory". That's another difference between the two.

Legend of Borg
12-12-2011, 06:15 AM
That will not be a Lindt 90% Excellence aroma.

I heard the Fed chocolate factory also makes Lindt chocolate covered bagels as well.

Senti already mentioned this, I think.

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 06:21 AM
anyone who doesnt have their head up their azz with ****ism can clearly see that 2012 will be a wide open season.

all of the big 4 have questions about them, not to mention guys like tsonga, berdych and delpo who could step up and if not snag a major, at least overturn the apple cart with upsets.

I dont believe at all that djoker 'tanked' everything post the US open( although I admit its possible). I think he does have legit physical concerns. I think rafa's game is questionable at the moment and who knows where his body is going physically. Who knows if Fed has enough to last at majors anymore, who knows where Murray will be mentally.

Lots of legit questions for 2012.

Nadal's game sure wasn't lacking vs Del Potro Davis Cup.

Clarky21
12-12-2011, 06:41 AM

Yes it was in every single aspect. He did not play that well,and was fortunate that Delpo was tired from playing a long match against Ferrer,otherwise he probably would have been straight setted.

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Yes it was in every single aspect. He did not play that well,and was fortunate that Delpo was tired from playing a long match against Ferrer,otherwise he probably would have been straight setted.

There goes your 'credibility'.

Crisstti
12-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Rafa played a fantastic match in sets 2 and 3.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-12-2011, 06:55 AM
If Nadal doesn't hit 30 winners and 0 UE then Clarky thinks he played badly. So one can kind of understands her perspective no matter how stupid it may be.

CDestroyer
12-12-2011, 07:01 AM

He is going to be vulnerable to many players in 2012. I would enjoy seeing Fed kick his *** on a grass, clay and any other surface.

Djokovic has exposed how to easily beat Nadal.

celoft
12-12-2011, 07:20 AM
I can see it. Joker has put in a ton of work and his style is VERY tough on the body. I think that he just out Nadaled Nadal last year but both of those guys play a similar style..I think Joker is just a slightly better over all athlete and though their game is similar, his physicality and new mental toughness got him over the hump. Having said that, Roger's game is much "easier on the body" and I don't think he hurts himself as much over an "entire season' as either of those other two....never has. I would not predict Roger becoming number 1 again but it would not blow me away to see it nor would it suprise me if Joker does indeed fail physically quicker. Just watching him play makes me exhausted.

Grinders like Nadal/Djokovic don't have longevity in the sport.

Crisstti
12-12-2011, 07:26 AM

They don't need to have it to do well next year. They're still only 24/25.

celoft
12-12-2011, 07:29 AM
They don't need to have it to do well next year. They're still only 24/25.

Grinders are usually done and dusted once they hit 27.

I don't see either of these players winning slams at 27+....

Crisstti
12-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Grinders are usually done and dusted once they hit 27.

I don't see either of these players winning slams at 27+....

I'm not so sure we can call them grinders (though admittedly I was unaware of the term until I read it in these forums). Is that supposed to mean simply that they're mainly defensive players?. Because it's not like they don't play aggressively too.

celoft
12-12-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm not so sure we can call them grinders (though admittedly I was unaware of the term until I read it in these forums). Is that supposed to mean simply that they're mainly defensive players?. Because it's not like they don't play aggressively too.

Djokovic used to play much more aggressively in 2007/2008.

CDestroyer
12-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Newcombe is really going to struggle with his depends under garments next year. Crapping himself at the drop of a hat.

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Interesting isn't it, how Nadal will end up dominating Roland Garros (the most physically demanding slam of all) longer than Federer dominated any of the 4 slams....

Cup8489
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Newcombe is really going to struggle with his depends under garments next year. Crapping himself at the drop of a hat.

speaking of butthurt...

so much hateful posts in this thread. is this guy not allowed to give his opinions? *******s certainly talk about pro-Nadal opinions as if theyre revelations from God..

beast of mallorca
12-12-2011, 09:05 AM
speaking of butthurt...

so much hateful posts in this thread. is this guy not allowed to give his opinions? *******s certainly talk about pro-Nadal opinions as if theyre revelations from God..

Dude, it's no different from pro-Fed talk and a sub-set of which are Rafa hate talk, so stop playing a holier than thou attitude. Bygones.

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 09:06 AM
If Nadal doesn't hit 30 winners and 0 UE then Clarky thinks he played badly. So one can kind of understands her perspective no matter how stupid it may be.
30 winners in each point, boy !! Clark's standards sure are high !!!

hoodjem
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Federer for the Golden CYGS. :)That's what I said in 2010.

Let's go Fed!

beast of mallorca
12-12-2011, 09:11 AM
30 winners in each point, boy !! Clark's standards sure are high !!!

She doesn't play the actual tennis, Senti. Maybe Wii.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-12-2011, 09:25 AM
She doesn't play the actual tennis, Senti. Maybe Wii.

Dream Match Pro is the best I think.

Clarky21
12-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Rafa played a fantastic match in sets 2 and 3.

Not really. He was still hitting short and defending as if his life depended on it. Not to mention how crappy his backhand was. The fourth set(and obviously the first set)was a disaster,and he was lucky to win it.

tusharlovesrafa
12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Not really. He was still hitting short and defending as if his life depended on it. Not to mention how crappy his backhand was. The fourth set(and obviously the first set)was a disaster,and he was lucky to win it.

you seem to be obsessed with rafa(i must admit every chick dreams of him so nothing new here)..hence such high rate of posting..u r his secret admirer..c'mon u gotta admit this publicly.

Mike Sams
12-12-2011, 10:51 AM

If Federer had any guts, Nadal would not have won Wimbledon in 2008 either. :lol:

Clarky21
12-12-2011, 12:01 PM
you seem to be obsessed with rafa(i must admit every chick dreams of him so nothing new here)..hence such high rate of posting..u r his secret admirer..c'mon u gotta admit this publicly.

Lol,you are really starting to fall off the deep end,dude. You better catch yourself before tumble completely off.

beast of mallorca
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Lol,you are really starting to fall off the deep end,dude. You better catch yourself before tumble completely off.

I guess you failed to catch yourself off or nobody bothered with you, huh mama, lol.

Clarky21
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I guess you failed to catch yourself off or nobody bothered with you, huh mama, lol.

While you may not like what I post,at least they don't look as if I have had one too many meetings with Jose Cuervo. Lol. Plus he has been replying to my posts all day with strange,barely decipherable stuff. What do expect me to say,"papa"? :lol:

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
There are subtler ways to imply that Nadal is doping, you know... :D

I'm implying that Federer has a bigger longevity problem than Nadal, considering Nadal is dominating RG for longer than Federer dominated any of the slams.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm implying that Federer has a bigger longevity problem than Nadal, considering Nadal is dominating RG for longer than Federer dominated any of the slams.

Doesn't Fed have 6 slams on grass and Nadal 6 on clay?

OddJack
12-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Just like

Djoker owns Nadal

DjokovicFortheWin owns nadalwon2012

cc0509
12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
The hypocrisy on this board is too funny for words. "An almost win does not count"???? Have you seen the gazillion posts that have talked about all of Fed's hypothetical 'almost wins'?

Yes, and they are stupid too for the most part. At the end of the day it is the win that matters.

cc0509
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Bobo is a muppet.

Djokovic was last playing, with an injured shoulder, only a few days before Federer, Tsonga, Berdych etc's last competitive matches. His rest/recovery time is basically no different to any of those guys.

I agree Bodo is a muppet but I think he is correct that the Djokovic injury post USO has been blown out of proportion and Djokovic has had plenty of rest time. Djokovic will be the favorite at the AO and I for one do not doubt that he will be in good form for the AO. If he is not, Nadal and Federer will obviously benefit.

cc0509
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM

You must be blind then. In any case, Nadal's form on clay at the DC means nothing for the 2012 season starting at the AO.

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Yes but do you seriously think Nadal is finished? 8-10 RGs is a given, and that shoots dead anyone's theory that Federer had greater longevity than Nadal.

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Just like

Djoker owns Nadal

DjokovicFortheWin owns nadalwon2012

What's so odd? Federer in decline is better than Nadal at peak

Nadal is the only man in history to win slams on clay, grass, hard in the same calendar year (2010). He also won 3 consecutive masters shields that year...

Nadals numbers are inflated cause of clay. In some ways djoker is already ahead

And Djokovic's stats are inflated because 2 of the 4 slams are on hard. Can you imagine how many slams Nadal would have now if 2 of the 4 slams were on clay? :lol:

Exactly, Nadal is clay court wonder, nothing more nothing less. Nadal fans should be happy with this speciality.

Don't forget the Career Grand Slam and duel Wimbledon titles :lol:

The guy just can't accept defeat and always has to qualify a loss with something or other.

How about Djokovic, unwilling to complete matches he's about to lose :lol:

New POLL addition:

NadalAgassi is the biggest idiot on the planet.

If you agree with this choice, type 'AYE'!

The irony...

^
All this and I only had to look at 2 pages of her post history :lol:

tennis_pro
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Yes but do you seriously think Nadal is finished? 8-10 RGs is a given, and that shoots dead anyone's theory that Federer had greater longevity than Nadal.

He will be lucky to win 1 more.

02-23-2012, 05:15 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6789318081_a514223f74_z.jpg

RAFA2005RG
02-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Newcombe is right, Djokovic will struggle to keep his number one ranking. It could be Rafa and Federer at 1 and 2 by the US Open. I thought it would only be Rafa. But now Federer is racking up the points hardcore, so he must be in the picture. A Federer vs Rafa Wimbledon final would help this.

celoft
02-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Nice bump.

I'm bumping some of my favorite threads now. :)

sbengte
02-23-2012, 06:16 AM
It could be Rafa and Federer at 1 and 2 by the US Open. I thought it would only be Rafa.

And that could mean we start getting Djokodal semifinals.

RAFA2005RG
02-23-2012, 06:19 AM
And that could mean we start getting Djokodal semifinals.

Rafa will benefit from that. He's seemed nervous in the finals vs Djokovic. Semis has a less tense atmosphere. And I hear the US Open is going to have a break between semis and finals now as a regular schedule.

Tony48
02-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Newcombe is right, Djokovic will struggle to keep his number one ranking. It could be Rafa and Federer at 1 and 2 by the US Open. I thought it would only be Rafa. But now Federer is racking up the points hardcore, so he must be in the picture. A Federer vs Rafa Wimbledon final would help this.

That's right, just keep denying reality. Maybe if you try hard enough, Djokovic will just fade away all together! Now wouldn't that be nice? :)

decades
02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
see that's the problem with predictions. especially ones about the future.

RAFA2005RG
02-23-2012, 08:33 AM
That's right, just keep denying reality. Maybe if you try hard enough, Djokovic will just fade away all together! Now wouldn't that be nice? :)

That's not up to me. We can't control how well or poorly Djokovic or Rafa play. I'm just saying that if Federer fulfills Newcombe's prediction it will be necessary for him to profit at Wimbledon where he's only defending a QF. And likewise for Rafa to get ahead of Djokovic he will need to win Wimbledon.

FlashFlare11
02-23-2012, 08:39 AM
That's not up to me. We can't control how well or poorly Djokovic or Rafa play. I'm just saying that if Federer fulfills Newcombe's prediction it will be necessary for him to profit at Wimbledon where he's only defending a QF. And likewise for Rafa to get ahead of Djokovic he will need to win Wimbledon.

Federer can profit from Wimbledon and the clay Masters the most. He suffered early exits in Monte-Carlo and Rome (I don't think he's even playing MC this year). He did the bare minimum of defending his SF at AO, but he needs to make up for a lot of lost ground. If he can get close, the fall events can push him over the top if he adds maybe one or two more.

RAFA2005RG
02-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Federer can profit from Wimbledon and the clay Masters the most. He suffered early exits in Monte-Carlo and Rome (I don't think he's even playing MC this year). He did the bare minimum of defending his SF at AO, but he needs to make up for a lot of lost ground. If he can get close, the fall events can push him over the top if he adds maybe one or two more.

Yeah, it wouldn't be a shock if Federer wins Indian Wells or Miami, the way he's playing on hardcourts since late last year.

CDestroyer
02-23-2012, 08:48 AM
If Federer had any guts, Nadal would not have won Wimbledon in 2008 either. :lol:

When Federer thinks of Nadal he wets his pants. Its beyond ownage.

Limpinhitter
02-23-2012, 09:08 AM
If Djoko wasn't struggling, he wouldn't have lost 2 sets to Ralph!

Tony48
02-23-2012, 09:35 AM

You've been pretty terrible at predicting it, too.

jackson vile
02-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Federer for the Golden CYGS. :)

Yea, how is that working out so far?

jackson vile
02-23-2012, 09:51 AM
If Djoko wasn't struggling, he wouldn't have lost 2 sets to Ralph!

He does not have to worry about Ralph, hell he might not even have to worry about Ronald either.

CocaCola
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Well, he did kind of struggled to lift that AO trophy.

Sentinel
02-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Yea, how is that working out so far?
Rafa sort of s(p)oiled it.

When Federer thinks of Nadal he wets his pants. Its beyond ownage.
When Ralph thinks of Noel worse things happen. On the other hemisphere.:)

Evan77
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm kinda tired of these old players making stupid predictions. Nole seems to be doing just fine :). yeah, he lost few sets to Rafa and Andy... it's the end of the world. blah, blah ...

slice bh compliment
02-24-2012, 04:49 AM
s(p)oiled it...

Hahha, before you make us laugh like that, please at least issue a s[p]oiler alert at the top of your post. That would help, sir.

FlamEnemY
02-24-2012, 05:10 AM
see that's the problem with predictions. especially ones about the future.

Predictions are, by definition, about the future.

I know I'm being a **** right now, but still.

merlinpinpin
07-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Methinks mister Newcombe deserves a nice bump. Don't you? ;)

Swissv2
07-09-2012, 11:20 AM

Methinks mister Newcombe deserves a nice bump. Don't you? ;)

goodness, the mining continues!