PDA

View Full Version : Can Roddick beat Federer?

A-rodd
07-15-2005, 10:13 PM
With Federer seeming to gain skill levels by leaps and bounds can Roddick ever beat him in a grandslam? If so which one? Or is Roddick doomed to be second for the next 10+ years?

Noelle
07-15-2005, 10:37 PM
All I can say is I have no answer for you, A-rodd. I'm a Roddick fan but nothing in Andy's game play these days suggests an upset over Federer any time soon.

And if he does win, it'll be just that. An upset. I don't think it's gonna turn into a trend. :(

SocalTennis
07-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Andy is a great player but Roger is always greater.

AJK1
07-15-2005, 10:44 PM
No........

efice32
07-15-2005, 10:46 PM
only on Andy's birthday

TheGreatBernie
07-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah I was about to say... only if the match lands on Roddick's birthday which happens to be a Semi-Final round of a Grand Slam. That seems to be the trend to beat Federer.

Otherwise I think he has a striker's chance, but it's slim.

Stuck
07-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Roddick could beat Fed if:
gets better volley
gets better placement on serve
gets better backhand
get mentally tough
wait I guess I could beat Fed if I improve these things, I'm going to the practice courts

armand
07-16-2005, 10:05 AM
When thinking of a future match between Fed and A-Rod, we should forget Wimbledon 2005 because Andy was playing like a clown that day (ie going to net on poor approach shots). And he lacked power on the serve and forehand(his fastest serve that day was only 135mph)

zAllianceBmx
07-16-2005, 10:06 AM
i doubt its gonna happen. the better andy gets, the better fed gets

sedwickdotcom
07-16-2005, 10:16 AM
i bet hell beat him once or twice but career record will suck

Nyl
07-16-2005, 10:38 AM
in fact i dun think roddick played a bad game in 2005 wimbledon final. roddick can beat federer only if roddick is at his best day and federer plays like he did in miami final against nadal.

Chadwixx
07-16-2005, 11:00 AM
roddick needs to get through hewitt before he can worry about federer.

the one time roddick did beat federer, roger played terrible, he double faulted 12 times in the 3rd set and it was still a close tiebreaker.

the wimbledon 2005 mens final was an embarassment to professional tennis, if they keep rigging the draws so andy makes it to finals i dont think ppl will tune in anymore if the quality is that low.

Steve Dykstra
07-16-2005, 11:50 AM
the wimbledon 2005 mens final was an embarassment to professional tennis, if they keep rigging the draws so andy makes it to finals i dont think ppl will tune in anymore if the quality is that low.

You are an embarrassment to these tennis boards when you say ridiculous things like that.

Chadwixx
07-16-2005, 12:23 PM
You are an embarrassment to these tennis boards when you say ridiculous things like that.

u obviously have alot of tennis insight. new jersey, lol, not exactly a haven for tennis players. maybe crackheads and illegal immigrants, but certainly not tennis players.

TwistServe
07-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Upsets happen unexpectedly.. Can Roddick beat federer? Yes.. Will he beat him? Who knows..

Steve Dykstra
07-16-2005, 12:38 PM
u obviously have alot of tennis insight. new jersey, lol, not exactly a haven for tennis players. maybe crackheads and illegal immigrants, but certainly not tennis players.

And what relevance does this have to anything? You should know by now that prejudging people based on stereotypes is not always accurate. You come to the conclusion that because I live in New Jersey, I do not have much tennis insight. Please refrain from further embarrassing yourself as I will not respond anyway because I am leaving for vacation for a week.

Cfidave
07-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Roddick is simply not a complete enough player to be Federer. Everything Roddick does, Federer is as good or in most cases better. If you look at players who give Federer trouble, they bring more to the table then Roddick. I don't see that changing. In fact, I think Roddick will continue to struggle with Hewitt, Safin & Nadal.

newnuse
07-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Can an asteroid hit the Earth and kill all life forms? Sure it can, but not in this lifetime

federerhoogenbandfan
07-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Andy is a great player, but I dont think he can ever have a better year than 2003, I really dont. I think that will always be his best year. I do think the best he could do is match some of the things he did that year, in a future year(s).

Things I dont think he could do, that he didnt do in 2003:

1)Win two slams in the same year
2)With 3 Masters Series titles in the same year
3)Win the year-end Masters
4)Beat Roger twice in the same year

Also I dont think he will do of the things he did in 2003 ever again:

1)End a year ranked #1
2)Go on a 20+ match win streak if it includes 3 straight Masters Series/Slam events
3)Reach 3 slam semis in the same year

These are some things I do believe he could do again:

1)Win 1 slam in a year
2)Reach 2 slam semis in a year
3)Reach 3 slam quarters in a year
4)Win 2 Masters Series titles in a year
5)Have a win over Federer in a year

As for things he might be able to do in a year for the first time at some point:

1)Reach 2 slam finals
2)Get past the 3rd round of a French Open
3)Win a Masters Series title indoors

krnboijunsung
07-16-2005, 03:53 PM
gets better volley
gets better backhand
get mentally tough
wait I guess I could beat Fed if I improve these things, I'm going to the practice courts

Actually, that isn't really true. Everyone has to face that Federer IS DOMINATING!!!!!! Even if Roddick did improve in those areas, do you guys not know that Federer is an All-Round player? Whatever Roddick improves on, Federer can do it better.

Federer can do anything in a game, which is why he's #1. Roddick can only stick to two components of his game which makes him the rank he is. Unless Federer gets in some freak accident and gets injured, I see no way anyone can beat him, with clay as an exception.

Docalex007
07-16-2005, 05:35 PM
gets better volley
gets better backhand
get mentally tough

Roddick can beat Federer. I am telling you, the chances are very slim. But as one knows, each match can bring a brand new opportunity to win. Its whoever plays best that day. Oh did I mention that this is only a likelihood if Roger's in a vegetative state and wearing flip flops.

drjam932
07-16-2005, 08:23 PM
No matter what Federer has done to win grand slam or matches. Andy is just nerve-wreck during the match. He should beat Federer but Anyone can beat Federer. See Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Nadal beat Federer. He will not be the same guy next year. There are many hotshot players that come up and ex players who lost to Federer. They better prepare for new stragerty or if not. Federer have to change the game everytime. Federer is not compare to Pete Sampras. I would say Pete Sampras is the best. Pete is too old to play against Federer and Federer is young. Who knows?

A-rodd
07-16-2005, 09:38 PM
You all have made a case for Federer and I must say that I disagree. I think Roddick will improve his game and be able to beat Federer, on a regular basis. I think that Federer is a great player in the zone right now, what happens when the zone ends? I think Roddicks' power will over take Federers' finess, in the near future. Can't wait to find out!

Tennis Ball Hitter
07-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I think Roddick has the weapons to beat Federer. In contrast, I don't think Hewitt will ever manage to give Fed a scare, IMO Hewitt needs to find a weapon to beat Federer.

But Andy needs to improve the weaknesses in his game first ... a long hard road for Andy it seems. But I agree with one of the other posters here, that he has to concentrate on beating Hewitt first.

Rodzilla
07-17-2005, 07:13 AM
You can never throw away the chances of Roddick making his record against Federer more interesting. Like people have mentioned, I think Hewitt is "owning" Roddick nowadays also, and I think if Roddick gets a win/s against Hewitt, it will help build his confidence.

Roddick got his volleys practiced during Wimbledon, but I think he needs to learn how to come in smarter. His "guns", the forehand and serve, were much more, I guess varied, during this year's Wimbledon run, and unlike past years those "guns" were not as intimidating because I think Andy was focused on improving his weaker backhand and volleys, that is what I think hurt him. It's nice to show off the improved parts by using them more, but I think he abandoned his "bread and butter" too much: power, and his serve was lacking in placement.

Was it not more effective when Roddick overpowered Federer as much as he could at last year's Wimbledon? Many will argue that Federer played near perfect tennis during this year's final, but I think the Roddick of last year could have made it more interesting. That power got him to #1, and he has to get that intimidation back, since a growing number of players are returning those stuff from Roddick that do come with power. I think he has to keep firing from all cylinders, but much more aggressively. It seems like he's got some mental problems. The luck of the birthday thing would be nice :)

Grimjack
07-17-2005, 07:24 AM
...Or is Roddick doomed to be second for the next 10+ years?

I don't think Roddick's game is nearly good enough to stay as high as second for the next decade.

Grimjack
07-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Can an asteroid hit the Earth and kill all life forms? Sure it can, but not in this lifetime

Way to jinx us, #######.

lagranwilly
07-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Roddick has no chance.not now,not in the future.The innate talent of Federer is far away from what Andy has....This year's wimbledon was an example.Andy played his best but Roger made the match seem like a transact....He seemed he was practicing with poor Andy,trying new shots,etc..
Hewitt,another one,has No chance....
Only Nadal or someone else on clay,and Safin, now and then,depending on how he woke up that morning and if his psichiatrist is on vacations or not....

edgy
07-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Roddick is my favorite player. And I will always go for him BUT...
He definitely does have a chance to beat Federer. Federer just has his moments where he truely is unbeatable. He has a response to everything. Andy needs to play more consistant then he has in the past. He needs to step up to the plate in big matches. He has to take advantage of the few opportunities he has when Roger DOES actually make a mistake. If he can do that and keep his composure, he can take Federer. When Federer is in his zone, he cannot be beaten. Period.

edgy
07-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Roddick has no chance.not now,not in the future.The innate talent of Federer is far away from what Andy has....This year's wimbledon was an example.Andy played his best but Roger made the match seem like a transact....He seemed he was practicing with poor Andy,trying new shots,etc..
Only Nadal or someone else on clay,and Safin, now and then,depending on how he woke up that morning and if his psichiatrist is on vacations or not....
and i disagree that Andy played his best in this year's wimbledon. Mentally, he wasn't where he should have been in my opinion.

A-rodd
07-17-2005, 03:02 PM

I would also disagree with this statement. Andy didn't play his best at Wimbelton, he was tired and not at the top of his game. I think we'll see a different Roddick in the US Open. I also think Roddick was for whatever reason very nervous at Wimbleton this year and just never came out of that dream state. I thought maybe the rain delay would acually help to wake him up but it just never happened.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-17-2005, 03:59 PM
I agree Roddick did not play his best in the Wimbledon final this year. I did not expect him too either, he is not at full confidence now, plus had played too much energy sapping tennis going into the final; things I said before the final, although nobody listened and ended up shocked at what happened somehow. Nonetheless it is not as if he was within range of winning enough to make a conclusion he would stand in good stead to win even if he were at his best. Roger played superbly, but never truly used his 5th gear, and still was not threatened for a second, except maybe when he played his only loose game to go down 3-1, but once he got to 3-3, you sensed even that set was over.

edgy
07-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Definitely. I also think Roddick played too many matches that lasted too long for him while federer just blew through everyone in his path. Roddick played how many 5 setters? I won't use him being tired as an excuse but I don't even think he thought he had a chance in that final knowing how he'd been playing.

Rabbit
07-17-2005, 06:21 PM
A close friend of mine just got back from the Babolat convention in Vegas. He talked to John Newcombe about this very thing. Newcombe said that Roddick could be #1 in the world. He's got one of the best serves in the world. Problem is, he doesn't move it around. Second, his forehand is a great weapon, but his backhand (at the pro level mind you) is as big a liability. Third, his net game is pretty bad. Newk said that if Roddick would take some time off the tour and address these problems, he could take it to Federer. He went on to say that none of this will ever happen because Roddick is submerged in $$$$. He's got people paying him plenty of money to be #2 in the world and #1 in America.

I don't disagree with any of this (Newk has forgotten more about tennis than most of us will ever know). I think Roddick's strengths are stronger than Federer's. Problem is for Roddick, Federer doesn't have any glaring (or otherwise) weaknesses. Consequently, Roddick's weaknesses can be exploited easier than Federer's.

IMO, if Roddick were to learn the approach game, it would help him immediately. I think he should really watch footage of Jimmy Connors. Connors was in a similar predicament to Roddick. Connors' strength on serve wasn't the serve, but the return. Connors' strength off the ground wasn't his forehand, but his backhand. Connors wasn't possessed of a great net game. What Connors did do to be successful at net was hit great approach shots. If you look back, 80 - 90% of his approaches were down the line. I think Roddick could learn from that. Hit a great approach down the line with that forehand and set the easy volley up. That, and learn to approach with slice off the backhand down the line. These crosscourt top approaches just sit too long and too high for a pro.

charles_boey
07-17-2005, 07:14 PM
roddick can beat federer if he played the way he did in the 1st set of the 2004 Wimbledon finals.
i just think that playing with power against federer is the way to go. but how long can one keep it up.. hehe

Max G.
07-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Roddick can beat Federer. One of these days he'll do it... and then Federer will win another dozen matches in a row against him. ;-)

sinatra161
07-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I am one of those people who cheers for roddick but against federer knows it probably won't end well.What happened with his serve in the final?135 was he sore from the match Saturday against Johannsen(spelling)?And he looked like a high school player at the net.Hopefully he will improve all of this in time for next year...

TOPSPIN23
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Roddicks my favorite player, but i can't honestly say i think he will beat Federer. He might do it but I dont think it's very likely the way things look now.

Aykhan Mammadov
07-18-2005, 01:12 PM
This year Wimby final shows that Roddick is much less talented than Safin Marat. If that last guy has no more chances against Fed anymore then the first has no chances at all. Unfortunately for Rodd's fans.

kicker75
07-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Andy has a great day...Federer has a horrid one...

If they both have their "A" games on, then Federer wins everytime at this point...

...but then again, no one in the world can beat Federer when he has his "A" game on... and I think that could be said for all time...

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
if safin brings his "a" game and his head we have a close match (like in austrialia).

i still think hewitt will get him, unlike roddick, hewitt can win the point if his serve is returned.

TheGreatBernie
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Federer was toying with Hewitt in Wimbledon 2005. Between their styles of play alone, Federer has a huge advantage. Hewitt is no threat to Federer.

devila
07-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Both pathetic Federer fans and Roddick fans still believe that he takes tennis seriously.
He is only interested in going to parties, charities and exhibitions. Last year, he was too busy eating junk food (pizza, beer, burgers). He did the same thing back in the year 2001. No one cared. He doesn't care. He kept calling himself a loser, so he enjoys being that. He didn't train much since he was a kid, as he already admitted. The past and current coaches are stupid and untalented.

For the millionth time, JUST BASHING THE BALL is STUPID & guarantees FAILURE.
If you can't understand that, you either think that a one-dimensional game is all he's capable of having or you don't have much knowledge of TECHNIQUE and the body's ENDURANCE/AGILITY.

Outside of tennis, he's very nice and smart.
Don't bother taking his so-called tennis future into consideration. He can't care less.

verdasco67
07-19-2005, 09:59 PM
anything is possible.