PDA

View Full Version : No Americans

cenzo
02-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Unless I am mistaken, there are no Americans playing in the major draw at Marseille or Brazil but they all seemed to have played at the Siebel Open and Kroger St. Jude. Nor do I think any Americans played abroad since the AO. Do the Americans generally stay home until the clay court season? It would seem they would want to play more on clay since that is the surface they struggle with the most. I hope that one of the Americans can dig their heels in and commit to become a better clay court player. Or maybe the American guys just don't care about winning Roland Garros.

Ash Doyle
02-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Maybe they just know that clay isn't their best surface, and they are going for the practical by competing in tournaments they feel they can get farthest in.

However, it would probably also make sense to practice on the correct surface for the next grand slam; but then again since this is their source of income their going where they feel they can get the most money by getting further into the tournaments.

Phil
02-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Why shouldn't Americans prefer to play tournaments in their own country. Chileans play tournaments in Chile, Brazilians in Brazil, and French in France. Why would Americans be any different in that respect, regardless of the surface? Is this subtle America-bashing on your part?

chad shaver
02-24-2004, 05:35 PM
The Pacific Life Open is set to begin on March 8. It's a hard court event at Indian Wells, California. Seems to me that they're practicing for the first Masters Series event of the year.

sseemiller
02-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Chad is right. There are here getting ready for Indian Wells and Miami. And also Scottsdale. With all these tournaments in their neck of the woods, no reason to go abroad.

Susan

sseemiller
02-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Forgot to mention, too, that Marseille is not on clay.

Arguably, the players who play in Argentina and Brazil are going to have more difficulty acclimating themselves when they get to Indian Wells and Miami. But many of the players who play those tourneys, excepting players like Moya, Kuerten and Coria, aren't really looking to make a mark at the TMS events at IW and Miami; they are looking to make money on a surface that suits them best.

In contrast, many American players, especially those who are looking for wild cards or to improve their ranking, are hoping to do well in these American events. So staying home to prepare kind of makes sense. :mrgreen:

Susan

cenzo
02-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks Chad and Susan. That cleared things up for me. And no Phil. I was not American bashing. I was just thinking about Roland Garros and how Americans always say they want to do well and when they lose early, they say that they just don't play enough on clay. I want the Americans to do well at Roland Garros. I love the red clay myself. But what Chad and Susan said makes sense to me. They are probably just gearing up for the TMS events here in the U.S. It would be great to see Roddick, Blake or Ginepri do well in Monte Carlo or Rome. Agassi is the only one that has been able to break through. But it would seem a huge task if they don't go over there and practice. There are some tournaments before TMS Monte Carlo that the Americans don't play.

Fee
02-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Most of the Americans will play their first event on clay in Houston, after Miami. It's always easier to play closer to home, and I'm sure decent appearance fees don't hurt either.

Phil
02-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Cenzo - The American players have a better chance of doing well in the local tournaments (and hence, earning more money), then they do in Europe. Most are probably pragmatic enough to realize that they don't match up well against the Europeans on clay. IW and Miami, as mentioned by others, are big money tournaments-they are our equivalent "Monte Carlo", Rome, Hamburg, etc.

sseemiller
02-24-2004, 10:25 PM
See, Phil and I can agree on something, and this is proof. :mrgreen: But a little bit more emoticon usage wouldn't hurt, Phil. :lol: Okay, I'm just kidding there. *olive branch extended*

Susan

strife726
02-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Susan, you are back?

Phil
02-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Sue - Okay. But no emoticons for me-too "precious" IMHO. However, annimated ones, with blood spurting out or actually screaming-w/sound-might work for me, wink, wink.

gustavo33
02-25-2004, 05:45 AM
i know guga is not playing next week in acapulco to practice to indian wells...

@wright
02-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Phil, you like the devil emoticon don't you?

Phil
02-25-2004, 04:38 PM
@wright - The devil is awright, but still a bit too cutesy. Anyway, if we're going biblical here, I'd prefer an avenging angel emoticon.

sseemiller
02-25-2004, 06:52 PM
I agree. The basic emoticons or okay, but not very original. Still, better than nothing. And they are easy to use. My go-to emoticon is always :mrgreen: , so I'm :).

SonicSpeed
02-26-2004, 03:08 PM
My fave emoticon has always been 8) .