PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the machine

Jerry Seinfeld
04-29-2004, 10:06 AM
What do you use to clean your stringing machine? Just curious. Please include brand names. I am interested to read about anyone using an odor-free nail polish remover. Tired of that meadow breeze smell in my shop.

RacquetDoctor
04-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Ethyl Alcohol 90% or higher ONLY.

drop shot
04-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Yes I would like to know what you guys use to clean your diamond dusted clamps. I read where one guy suggested using an emery board but I thought that might damage the surface of the clamps. Also what about the disk brake? how do you guys clean it?

RacquetDoctor
04-29-2004, 10:08 PM
To clean the clamps, open them up all the way, dip a soft toothbrush in ethyl alcohol, and go to town on it...Nothing special, but it works wonders...

Hawaii 5.0
04-30-2004, 01:37 AM
I use compressed air to blast smaller particles away from tension head and clamps becuase I remove and clean with ethyl alcohol and a toothbrush.I clean the rest of the machine by first dusting,compressed air,then I clean painted surfaces with alcohol.The only other thing I really clean is the turntable on the sensor.Just general upkeep.Plus you can also lubricate moving parts or joints and readjust turntable locks.

Gaines Hillix
04-30-2004, 05:41 AM
I also use alcohol and a soft tooth brush. I use cloth covered "tongue depressors" to dry the clamps and remove any residue that the alcohol breaks loose. Seems to work very well. Alcohol on a rag seems to work well on other parts of the machine too. I use a silicon based spray lube on the moving parts. This seems to do a good job of lubrication, but it's not oily or sticky and doesn't gum up over time.

Jerry Seinfeld
04-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Does the alcohol you use do a good job of disolving the polyurethane? I have had build up problems when using alcohol and just switched to a non-acetone nail polish remover. The flowery scent makes the shop smell like a salon. I much prefer manly alcohol scents.

Gaines Hillix
04-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Jerry, it seems to work...I string up a lot of multis with PU in them and the clamps always hold better after a good cleaning. I use isopropyl alcohol....denatured, whatever the right term is. The kind they sell on the shelf at the drug stores(CVS, Eckards, Wallgreen's, etc.).

rich s
04-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Jerry-

I've used a toothbrush sized brush that has brass bristles (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) along with isopropyl alcohol and have had great results.

The brass is so much softer than the metal in the clamps so it doesn't seem to damage the clamps yet it is harder than the polyeurethane so it cleans it off quite effectively.

I have been chastised for using a brass brush and I am sure someone will chime in and tell me I'm wrong for using it but I am yet to see any detrimental results or damage to my clamps.

DO NOT use a brass brush on Polymer/Plastic clamps that don't have diamond dusted metal inserts.

Ken Sachar
05-01-2004, 04:41 AM
I use a shoe lace dipped in iso-propyl alcohol to clean the inside of the clamps. A dry shoe lace will then absorb any residue that does not evaporate.