PDA

View Full Version : A match that has made cry?

ark_28
12-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Before I get shot down here! We are all passionate tennis fans and with passion comes strong emotion especially if you support a particular player.

My question to other poster is has there been a match that has made you cry either with happiness or despair??and if so which match

I generally do not cry very often but I have no problem in admitting that I did when Andy lost the Wimbledon final in 2009 as a fan I know how much winning Wimbledon meant to him and I also know how well he played! That frustration coupled with the realisation that the chance had come amd gone was very emotional.

Even though I'm a fan I can usually detach myself after the match after all I'm not the one sweating my guts off and giving it my all! But that was one match where I genuinely felt the pain of the player that I support.

What matches stand out for you in this respect??

TopFH
12-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Paris-Bercy final this year.

tennis_pro
12-11-2011, 02:04 PM
No match has made me cry, yet. Maybe you should ask some of the ladies here.

niff
12-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Every match Tim lost.

Fed beating Haas at the FO 09. Fed beating Delpo at the FO 09. Fed winning the FO 09 :p

rossi46
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Before I get shot down here! We are all passionate tennis fans and with passion comes strong emotion especially if you support a particular player.

My question to other poster is has there been a match that has made you cry either with happiness or despair??and if so which match

I generally do not cry very often but I have no problem in admitting that I did when Andy lost the Wimbledon final in 2009 as a fan I know how much winning Wimbledon meant to him and I also know how well he played! That frustration coupled with the realisation that the chance had come amd gone was very emotional.

Even though I'm a fan I can usually detach myself after the match after all I'm not the one sweating my guts off and giving it my all! But that was one match where I genuinely felt the pain of the player that I support.

No matches, it just doesn't make sense. Andy Roddick couldn't care less about you, he still got a healthy pay check for that loss, grow up.

Homeboy Hotel
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Wimbledon semifinal, op**

Most emotional, for me is:
- Murray loosing the Australian Open 2010 final (more so when he broke down so badly in the ceremony afterwards)
- Murray loosing to Djokovic in Rome 2011. Two points away from pulling off the upset, two double faults at deuce. Murray then disappeared in the final set TB.
- Murray loosing the Wimbledon 2011 semifinal vs Nadal, was on fire till 2-1 15-30 second set, but just crumbled when a shot was challenged to be out, could've had two break points to lead again in the second. The man was on a mission for the British crowd.

But also, equally but not as much:
- Federer winning the French Open 2009
- Federer loosing the US Open 2011 match
- Nadal winning the US Open 2010 (judging him by that tournament alone, he deserved it most - he was the only guy playing up to scratch)

Edit: Before I seem like a right softy. I did not cry to any of these matches, apart from shedding a tear with Murray at AO - merely they were all 'emotional' matches generally to me.

ark_28
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM
No matches, it just doesn't make sense. Andy Roddick couldn't care less about you, he still got a healthy pay check for that loss, grow up.

Did I say Andy Rodick could care about me? No if you learned the art of reading you will see that I said usually even as a fan I detach myself but that was an exception.

Sure he is a millionaire many times over with a gorgeous wife but immediately after losing all he cared about was the losing the elusive WImbledon title ad at that moment I felt his pain.

Once you learn to read properly maybe then you can give better informed posts!

Polaris
12-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Dude, that was harsh. :confused:

As to which match made me cry, I can't point to any. I'm very intensely involved in some matches, to the extent that I used to switch the match off if I couldn't bear the suspense. But, I haven't cried. I find that, if my favorite player loses a match, I get over it pretty quickly, but if he/she wins it, then I take the time to savor the victory, reading articles and such-like.

rossi46
12-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Did I say Andy Rodick could care about me? No if you learned the art of reading you will see that I said usually even as a fan I detach myself but that was an exception.

Sure he is a millionaire many times over with a gorgeous wife but immediately after losing all he cared about was the losing the elusive WImbledon title ad at that moment I felt his pain.

You still cried for a millionaire, something not right about that.

The Bawss
12-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Ever heard of King Midas? I would have cried for him had it been a true story.

No reason that people shouldn't empathise with people who have money, that just reeks of pure jealousy.

niff
12-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Edit: Before I seem like a right softy. I did not cry to any of these matches, apart from shedding a tear with Murray at AO - merely they were all 'emotional' matches generally to me.
This makes me appreciate being a girl, being soft is awesome :)

Hood_Man
12-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I haven't cried over a match yet, but I suspect the day Federer plays his final ATP match will break that particular barrier.

Joe Pike
12-11-2011, 02:22 PM

My question to other poster is has there been a match that has made you cry either with happiness or despair??and if so which match ...

When Graf beat Hingis in the FO 99 final.
Tears of joy.

Crisstti
12-11-2011, 02:30 PM

He/she is lacking empathy. Ignore it...

Dude, that was harsh. :confused:

As to which match made me cry, I can't point to any. I'm very intensely involved in some matches, to the extent that I used to switch the match off if I couldn't bear the suspense. But, I haven't cried. I find that, if my favorite player loses a match, I get over it pretty quickly, but if he/she wins it, then I take the time to savor the victory, reading articles and such-like.

Same with me, pretty much. I haven't cried with any tennis match - I have cried over a couple of football matches, but I was very young then - and I do get very involved and often turn off the TV or switch the channel if I can't bear it. I actually haven't ever watched the fifth set of the Wimbledon final of 2008, as I just couldn't bear to watch Rafa lose again in 5 sets...

N23
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Novotna losing Wimbledon 93. Novotna winning Wimbledon 98.

Agassi winning Wimbledon 92. Agassi winning US Open 94.

G Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon 01.

AM95
12-11-2011, 02:37 PM

im pretty sure you just cried because rog broke petes record. im also pretty sure that those tears were not of joy ;)

Sid_Vicious
12-11-2011, 02:39 PM

No, The OP is just not as hideously narrow-minded like you.

Hood_Man
12-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Same with me, pretty much. I haven't cried with any tennis match - I have cried over a couple of football matches, but I was very young then - and I do get very involved and often turn off the TV or switch the channel if I can't bear it. I actually haven't ever watched the fifth set of the Wimbledon final of 2008, as I just couldn't bear to watch Rafa lose again in 5 sets...

I find that I can't watch sets 1, 2 and 5 of the 2008 Final. It's pretty lame of me I know, but that was such a long and emotionally draining afternoon, I genuinely don't like revisiting it.

Sets 3 and 4 are different though :twisted:

Sid_Vicious
12-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I find that I can't watch sets 1, 2 and 5 of the 2008 Final. It's pretty lame of me I know, but that was such a long and emotionally draining afternoon, I genuinely don't like revisiting it.

I will one up you guys on being a softy. I never watch highlights of matches Federer has lost. :)

OddJack
12-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I remember Bartolli said she cried after 2008 W final.

beast of mallorca
12-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I cried laughing during the AO 2009 finals !!!

pound cat
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
When ivanisevic won beat Pat Rafter to finally win Wimbledon after losing in 4 previoua Wimby finals. And to add to the emotion he beat Pat Rafter who also was a loved player...

Goran cried, Pat was near tears, and anyone watching those last 2 1/2 rain-delayed (v. henman) and the final match cried with relief when the match was finally done. Goran fans cried with joy, Rafter fans no doubt cried with disappointment.

Rafter retored soon after this as did Goran. One had a Wimbledon dream fulfilled, the other one empty handed.

!00, 000 Croats turned out for the Wimbledon celebration. Amazing outcome for a small country which had just been at war.

youtube has this match...watch the last game if nothing else.

Crazy man
12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I think I cried of laughter when I watched a past prime Safin beat Djokovic at Wimbledon. OP: I've never cried of sadness over a tennis result. I've been guted and angry a few times. Angry at AO 2002 and quite gutted at W09. Also Safin's chokes in 2009 and a few of Roddick's beatdowns have made me sad, knowing that your favourites respectively are not what they were.

merwy
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
i can't imagine myself crying over a match for some reason. But i was completely shattered after wimbledon 2009 final because i wanted roddick to win, and after US Open 2011 semi final because i wanted federer to win. I might as well have cried but i guess i kept myself busy with other stuff.. it still hurts though when i think back about it, especially that damn us open match:(

kishnabe
12-11-2011, 04:42 PM
2008 Wimbledon.....Cried for three days in despair and anger....never cried since for a tennis match!

Kaz00
12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
2009 Wimbledon final saw Roddick lose his last chance, cried for a few hrs

bullfan
12-11-2011, 05:02 PM

I didn't cry, but I felt horrible as I thought that Roddick had finally outplayed Fed only to lose it at the end.

tennisenthusiast
12-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I am a Federer fan and I almost broke down after this year's US Open semi-final loss.

RF20Lennon
12-11-2011, 05:49 PM
4 matches come to mind
wimbledon 2008 (wanted to break my TV0
Australian open 2009 ( was really sad but broke down after fed did lol)
when fed won french and wimby 2009!!!!!!(tears of joy)

us open 2011 felt REALLY REALLY REALLY SAD but didnt cry.

beast of mallorca
12-11-2011, 05:57 PM

I was actually happy that Fed won that one. Never like that arrogant Dic'ead
tho' he's the best we had.

evanjj
12-11-2011, 06:01 PM
when Edberg lost 1989 French Open Final! One, because it was such a great opportunity for him to win that Championship, and two, because it means Chang is a Grand Slam winner!

Mike Sams
12-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I haven't cried over a match yet, but I suspect the day Federer plays his final ATP match will break that particular barrier.

In 5 or so years time I'm guessing, and then he'll take a 9-10 months off and come back after he realizes his worthlessness in life outside of tennis and then ultimately retire when he turns 42 or so because of a major injury. :lol:
What exactly would Federer do after tennis anyway? He's not into the whole clubbing thing nor messing around on beaches, etc. He'll be around tennis forever in some form. I think his goal is to win more titles than Connors.

Mike Sams
12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I am a Federer fan and I almost broke down after this year's US Open semi-final loss.

:lol: why? He would've lost to Nadal in the next match anyway which would've been even harder for his fans to digest. It would've marked the official ownage of Federer getting thumped at all major finals against Nadal.

RF20Lennon
12-11-2011, 06:21 PM
:lol: why? He would've lost to Nadal in the next match anyway which would've been even harder for his fans to digest. It would've marked the official ownage of Federer getting thumped at all major finals against Nadal.

highly doubt he wouldve lost against rafa. Nadal got broken so many times in that tourny it wasnt even funny. Im pretty sure Fed wouldve won (maybe not in straights) but he wouldve won that match

stringertom
12-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Three come to mind: Pete's final major, Agassi's farewell speech after B Becker loss and Fed's FO win (when even God cried in salute with a postmatch rainstorm.)

Mustard
12-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I didn't cry but the 1998 Wimbledon and 2004 French Open finals were tough. Absolutely gutted for Goran Ivanisevic and Guillermo Coria at the end of those matches. They acted like the soul had been kicked out of them.

Mike Sams
12-11-2011, 07:20 PM
highly doubt he wouldve lost against rafa. Nadal got broken so many times in that tourny it wasnt even funny. Im pretty sure Fed wouldve won (maybe not in straights) but he wouldve won that match

Nadal got broken by the best returner in the game. Federer on the other hand...1/12 and 1/17 in BPs against Nadal in past major finals...nuff said! :lol:
He'd find a way to lose as usual.

SirGounder
12-11-2011, 07:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I actually might feel that way about Nadal too.

westside
12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Have never cried due to a tennis match. Have shed a tear a few times due to Aussie Rules Football though.

I guess the match that would've got me fairly close, due to me being an Aussie and a huge Hewitt fan, was the 2005 Australian Open final.

rdis10093
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
fed vs novak 2011 uso

and vs safin at AUS

also hewitt vs a rod. at 2009 wim.

rdis10093
12-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Have never cried due to a tennis match. Have shed a tear a few times due to Aussie Rules Football though.

I guess the match that would've got me fairly close, due to me being an Aussie and a huge Hewitt fan, was the 2005 Australian Open final.

that one just made me sick to my stomach, everyone knew that hewitt would have it tough after safin beat federer.

slice bh compliment
12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
It's funny, you'd think the emotion of tennis gets lost on TV, but it really doesn't. never cried at a loss (well, once, in the final of my first ever tournament). I've never cried at an actual slam. But...Off the top of my head...
I definitely tear up a little at times watching this stirring sport on tv.

You'd have to be a robot to not feel it when Cash won '87 Wimbledon and climbed up the stands to hug his dad.

Noah started that after the '84 RG final. Tears welled up in my eyes for that one, too.

When Goran beat Rafter on that Monday final. Just awesome.

When Rog won the Oz Open and Laver presented...and Rog felt tears of joy (and respect). So good. Come on, have a heart.

Federer's first Wimbledon title. What a triumph of great tennis over crap. It was like Nirvana replacing schlock rock, corporate/pop crap music. Better yet, it was a good kid making good on his excellent potential and stylish game. Good kid with a sense of history, too. Very cool.

When Vilas beat Connors in the 77 Forest Hills final, 6-0 in the 4th set. Just a great win. The crowd loved it. I did not actually cry, but all the Latin people went nuts. That was awesome.

Whenever Dick Enberg does his 'moments' with the sappy schmaltzy music. Gets me every single time. Kidding. But I don't think I've ever missed one of those damn montages.

The first time I stepped on the grounds at Roland Garros, I got a little verklempt. Same with Wimbledon. But no actual crying. I think it's the music they play. Damn you Dick Enberg, LOL.

Crisstti
12-11-2011, 08:20 PM

It was emotionally draining...

I will one up you guys on being a softy. I never watch highlights of matches Federer has lost. :)

:) well, I don't have a rule about it, but I have hardly watched highlights of matches Rafa has lost.

aphex
12-11-2011, 09:00 PM

You must be poor.

MrFlip
12-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Federer vs Nadal WTF 2011 RR - Fed didn't use a condom....

Fugazi
12-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I used to cry like a baby every time Tim Mayotte's second serve was a bit off.

MichaelNadal
12-11-2011, 09:27 PM
I've never cried but I was ****ed at the world after Nadal lost the USO final this year. I was gutted, each of the 6 was harder to take.

Mike Sams
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I've never cried but I was ****ed at the world after Nadal lost the USO final this year. I was gutted, each of the 6 was harder to take.

I'd love to have seen your reaction to Nadal breaking for a 2-0 lead in the first set and then losing the next 6 consecutive games!!! :lol: You must've been ready to break your tv right there I'd imagine.:razz:

Mike Sams
12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm sure a lot of fans cried WITH Federer during the post-match trophy presentation after he lost to Nadal at the Australian Open.

Nathaniel_Near
12-11-2011, 10:39 PM
For anyone who wants their memories kickstarted, check out this vid which shows every Slam winner of the 2000's, most of the important matches and also a couple of davis cup triumphs and other memorable tennis moments from the last 12 years. I'm sure a fair few of these matches in this video were very emotional for many people and for different reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnUPKYKsxwc&feature=youtu.be

Nathaniel_Near
12-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm sure a lot of fans cried WITH Federer during the post-match trophy presentation after he lost to Nadal at the Australian Open.

Yep.

10tearsofanguish

Towser83
12-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Never cried cos the guy I like lost, but I shed a few tears of joy for Goran in 2001 Wimbledon. That was just brilliant.

Seth
12-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Growing up with Roddick as my idol (he's a few years my senior), Wimbledon 2009 did it for me. No weeping, just a "must have something in my eye" moment.

TopFH
12-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Federer vs Nadal WTF 2011 RR - Fed didn't use a condom....

That kind of **** must be illegal!

MichaelNadal
12-12-2011, 12:38 AM
I'd love to have seen your reaction to Nadal breaking for a 2-0 lead in the first set and then losing the next 6 consecutive games!!! :lol: You must've been ready to break your tv right there I'd imagine.:razz:

You have no idea. What was even WORSE is when he broke for 2-0 in the second set and lost the lead AGAIN. I about had it at that point.

Nathaniel_Near
12-12-2011, 12:44 AM
You have no idea. What was even WORSE is when he broke for 2-0 in the second set and lost the lead AGAIN. I about had it at that point.

EEEEeeeexactly.

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Let me see ... i cried when Soderling won the QF at RG in 2009.
That was out of joy, of course.

Then i cried in dismay, when Isner failed to make a big upset in the opening round of one RG. Also, wept when Petchzner failed to take out one person (can't remember the name) at WO. Maybe a couple times more.

vernonbc
12-12-2011, 02:13 AM
The 2010 US Open. I am pretty sanguine about Rafa's wins and I'm actually quite calm during his matches but after he got his career slam, the tears came quite unexpectedly and wouldn't stop. I guess I hadn't realized how much I wanted him to win that and how thrilled I was for him when he did.

Must admit I got a little misty after this latest Davis Cup win too - didn't cry but after a tough year and with the incredible pressure Rafa was under, watching the whole team celebrate was pretty emotional.

MG1
12-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Let me see ... i cried when Soderling won the QF at RG in 2009.
That was out of joy, of course.

Then i cried in dismay, when Isner failed to make a big upset in the opening round of one RG. Also, wept when Petchzner failed to take out one person (can't remember the name) at WO. Maybe a couple times more.

and may be when delpo beat some journeyman in 2009 US open Sf and must be out of joy ..lol!!:)

rossi46
12-12-2011, 04:12 AM
You must be poor.

No actually I am not poor, just a very logical person. Professional tennis is only a sport where the participants make lots of money. Think of all those people that are killed by natural disasters, innocent people being killed in wars etc. Now quite possibly that should bring a tear to our eyes. Common sense really.

Telepatic
12-12-2011, 04:47 AM
I never cried for a match but I do get ****ed off a lot of times.

Biggest headache I had was after Novak's 2009 Madrid SF loss, that was one long slugfest and after those MP's and everything, I just went to bed to get some sleep. :lol:

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 05:23 AM
and may be when delpo beat some journeyman in 2009 US open Sf and must be out of joy ..lol!!:)
Hey, stop reading my mind. I'll have to report you to the mods ! :):)

mandy01
12-12-2011, 05:40 AM
No actually I am not poor, just a very logical person. Professional tennis is only a sport where the participants make lots of money. Think of all those people that are killed by natural disasters, innocent people being killed in wars etc. Now quite possibly that should bring a tear to our eyes. Common sense really.
But that's a poor way of approaching the sport. If we only take money into account, we as fans should stop watching tennis altogether since players make money because of fans. Our time and money would be better invested if it went to all the needy people in the world. But that's not how it works. Tennis is as much an expression of effort and perseverance as any other profession and where there is effort, there is emotion.

nadalwon2012
12-12-2011, 05:56 AM
At Madrid 2010 when Federer took a fresh air swing on Nadal's matchpoint, was so funny it brought tears to my eyes :lol:

the green god
12-12-2011, 06:06 AM
It's a freaking tennis match, "CRYING, THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!!"

maxpotapov
12-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Goran Ivanisevic, winning his only Grand Slam title, on a wild card, 2 years into retirement

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 06:34 AM
But that's a poor way of approaching the sport. If we only take money into account, we as fans should stop watching tennis altogether since players make money because of fans. Our time and money would be better invested if it went to all the needy people in the world. But that's not how it works. Tennis is as much an expression of effort and perseverance as any other profession and where there is effort, there is emotion.
And then there's all the hungry, cold cats and kittehs in teh werld.

passive_aggressive
12-12-2011, 06:44 AM

This is genuinely weird.

Maybe see a psychologist?

I feel happy every time Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray lose, but I'm also happy to see every other player on the ATP and WTA lose as well.

The only thing that sucks about tennis is that someone has to win.

All in all I'm a happy hater!!

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 06:55 AM
This is genuinely weird.

Maybe see a psychologist?

I feel happy every time Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray lose, but I'm also happy to see every other player on the ATP and WTA lose as well.

The only thing that sucks about tennis is that someone has to win.

All in all I'm a happy hater!!
Yup, you should.

Pronto.

We'll pool in if you need funds.

Andres
12-12-2011, 07:00 AM
I did cry once: Verdasco def. Acasuso, Davis Cup final, 4th rubber , 2008.

These are pics from the Del Potro - Lopez match.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1590/203/76/613645523/n613645523_5215444_1596.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1590/203/76/613645523/n613645523_5215467_7587.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1590/203/76/613645523/n613645523_5215429_6342.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1590/203/76/613645523/n613645523_5215431_7047.jpg

onyxrose81
12-12-2011, 07:42 AM
I didn't cry, but I felt horrible as I thought that Roddick had finally outplayed Fed only to lose it at the end.

I teared up a bit in frustration simply because Roddick wanted it so much, and it would have meant way more to him.

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
How could you forget the time at AO, when Bernard Tomic was outplaying one journeyman and was up 4-0. The other chap was looking helplessly at his box. But then Tomic got distracted and threw the match.

I wept.

First joy, then grief.

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I did cry once: Verdasco def. Acasuso, Davis Cup final, 4th rubber , 2008.

What about WO 2001, Goran ????

Towser83
12-12-2011, 10:25 AM
At Madrid 2010 when Federer took a fresh air swing on Nadal's matchpoint, was so funny it brought tears to my eyes :lol:

I laughed too, I must admit. Was hilarious that Nadal in one of his supposedly best years, needed a bad bounce to beat Federer on clay who had lost 2-6 6-7 to Montanes at Estoril the week before :lol:

MG1
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM

I also cried when one journey man assaulted by Ivan Dodig in montreal this year :???:

Wonder that journeyman had got a bye in 1st round ..wonder that howcome such a journeyman can get byee ..cried at this point too ..lol!!

but i cried like roger ..in GOAT style :)

MG1
12-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Murray said in AO 2010

"I can cry like roger but i can't play like him "

how can murray behave in such a arrogant brat way!!

He should learn..

"I can NOT play like roger and i can NOT even cry like him "

rossi46
12-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Valid point but the emotion should be left to the players, why should I cry if Federer or Nadal or whoever loses, that is bizarre. And no matter which way anybody wants to put it the link between players emotion and prizemoney is extremely high. Could you imagine if the prizemoney for a major was reduced by 75% ??

kiki
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I didnīt cry for a match but that cannot be said about Mr Federer.

Fugazi
12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Valid point but the emotion should be left to the players, why should I cry if Federer or Nadal or whoever loses, that is bizarre. And no matter which way anybody wants to put it the link between players emotion and prizemoney is extremely high. Could you imagine if the prizemoney for a major was reduced by 75% ??
That's totally false. I recently lost in the final of a B squash tournament (pretty high level but far from pro or open, maybe the equivalent of NTRP 4.5-5.0 in tennis) after cramping for the last two games and eventually having three match balls in the fifth game, and believe me, I was devastated for a little while after that.

Mainad
12-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Murray said in AO 2010

He should learn..

Maybe that where he's been going wrong? If he learned to blub like Roger, he'd play better in Slam finals! :)

mattennis
12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
I've never cried for a tennis match and I don't get emotionally involved with tennis players.

Usually I am very analytical with respect to tennis, and I simply enjoy the battle of wills and technical skills displayed on the court.

But I remember that I felt some kind of joy when Muster finally won RolandGarros in 1995 and when Goran finally won Wimbledon in 2001.

I just felt these two guys deserved a Grand Slam title, and when I saw the joy in their faces...I smiled and felt fine.

mattennis
12-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Agassi's first GS title, Wimbledon'92, and Federer's first GS title, Wimbledon'03, were special as well. These two had shown amazing tennis skills before that and it was about time that they would win a Slam title.

Crazy man
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM

I would have cried if Safin were to lose against Hewitt that day. Safin being the only guy capable of beating Federer in a slam outside clay from years 2004-2007 and losing Hewitt (who tried his best to screw Safin up mentally that day) would have made me stop watching tennis.

Dilettante
12-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I would have cried if Safin were to lose against Hewitt that day. Safin being the only guy capable of beating Federer in a slam outside clay from years 2004-2007 and losing Hewitt (who tried his best to screw Safin up mentally that day) would have made me stop watching tennis.

I'll make no comment about this, I just wanted to quote it to see if it is actually a true post and not a trick of my mind.

pc1
12-12-2011, 05:15 PM
One of the matches that moved me the most was Goran winning Wimbledon.

pc1
12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
It's funny, you'd think the emotion of tennis gets lost on TV, but it really doesn't. never cried at a loss (well, once, in the final of my first ever tournament). I've never cried at an actual slam. But...Off the top of my head...
I definitely tear up a little at times watching this stirring sport on tv.

You'd have to be a robot to not feel it when Cash won '87 Wimbledon and climbed up the stands to hug his dad.

Noah started that after the '84 RG final. Tears welled up in my eyes for that one, too.

When Goran beat Rafter on that Monday final. Just awesome.

When Rog won the Oz Open and Laver presented...and Rog felt tears of joy (and respect). So good. Come on, have a heart.

Federer's first Wimbledon title. What a triumph of great tennis over crap. It was like Nirvana replacing schlock rock, corporate/pop crap music. Better yet, it was a good kid making good on his excellent potential and stylish game. Good kid with a sense of history, too. Very cool.

When Vilas beat Connors in the 77 Forest Hills final, 6-0 in the 4th set. Just a great win. The crowd loved it. I did not actually cry, but all the Latin people went nuts. That was awesome.

Whenever Dick Enberg does his 'moments' with the sappy schmaltzy music. Gets me every single time. Kidding. But I don't think I've ever missed one of those damn montages.

The first time I stepped on the grounds at Roland Garros, I got a little verklempt. Same with Wimbledon. But no actual crying. I think it's the music they play. Damn you Dick Enberg, LOL.

Forgot about Noah's win in 1983 at the French Open which was so emotional. My wife's favorite all time player.

Mustard
12-12-2011, 05:27 PM
But I remember that I felt some kind of joy when Muster finally won RolandGarros in 1995 and when Goran finally won Wimbledon in 2001.

My happiest tennis memories :D

JoelDali
12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/JoeDali/Connors-In-5.jpg

Crazy man
12-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I'll make no comment about this, I just wanted to quote it to see if it is actually a true post and not a trick of my mind.

Ill make no comment about this, I just wanted to quote it to see if it is actually a true post and not a trick of my mind because I am too stupid to recognise a post when it has been posted.

You're as thick and as useless as the person in your avatar. Think of that!

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Murray said in AO 2010

He should learn..

No no, let's be generous and allow Murray to imagine he can be equal to Fred in at least crying :D

beast of mallorca
12-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Ill make no comment about this, I just wanted to quote it to see if it is actually a true post and not a trick of my mind because I am too stupid to recognise a post when it has been posted.

You're as thick and as useless as the person in your avatar. Think of that!

lol, you're too sensitive dude. Lighthen up

tusharlovesrafa
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
No no, let's be generous and allow Murray to imagine he can be equal to Fred in at least crying :D

Murray is the future goat...u cannot take him lightly..:)

Andres
12-13-2011, 01:03 AM
One can't cry over a win. Dont get me wrong, I was extremely HAPPY, but no tears were shed.

But losing a Davis Cup final, in your own city (instead of Buenos Aires for like the first time in history), in a stadium three blocks away from home, in front of your own eyes (and you know how specially meaningful is Davis Cup for us Argies) was devastating

beast of mallorca
12-13-2011, 01:17 AM
One can't cry over a win. Dont get me wrong, I was extremely HAPPY, but no tears were shed.

But losing a Davis Cup final, in your own city (instead of Buenos Aires for like the first time in history), in a stadium three blocks away from home, in front of your own eyes (and you know how specially meaningful is Davis Cup for us Argies) was devastating

How come Goran is your avatar and not an Argy, just curious.

Andres
12-13-2011, 01:25 AM
How come Goran is your avatar and not an Argy, just curious.
Because Goran is my favourite player.

Hitman
12-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Because Goran is my favourite player.

he is also my favorite player of all time too.

I remember people were congratulating me! LOL! When he won, because they know how much I wanted him to win Wimbledon ever since 92. I have to admit, it was bittersweet, because I really liked rafter also. They should have given them both a W title.

Rock Strongo
12-13-2011, 07:27 AM
I just felt absolutely terrible after Roddick lost the 2009 Wimbledon final. I still find it hard to watch without it messing me up in a horrible way, and yes, I did shed tears.

Magnetite
12-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Lol @ crying over a tennis match, especially one you aren't playing in!

I've got angry and thrown things before, but never cried.

TJfederer16
12-13-2011, 10:10 AM
ive never really full on cried over a match, i normally go into like a day of depression after some of Fed's big losses but have shed some tears after the Wimbledon 08 final, i think just about every Fed fan was in tears after that one, was close to tears after AO09' final and FO 09' final, was also close to tears in the match against Murray at the TMC 08' when Fed was really injured but refused to give in and was having medical timeouts for like the first time ive ever seen and seemed in real bother and could barely serve but put up an unbelievable fight, saved 7 match points at the game at 5-4 in the final set before finally succumbing, that match showed what an unbelievable fighter Fed is, which you don't normally see because it just looks so easy for him and is normally so relaxed. Felt very depressed after USO 2010 and 2011 semis, and also after Wimbledon 2011 QF but didn't cry.

Homeboy Hotel
12-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Murray said in AO 2010

He should learn..

Are you just an absolute idiot?

MichaelNadal
12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Lol @ crying over a tennis match, especially one you aren't playing in!

I've got angry and thrown things before, but never cried.

http://michaeljacksonanimatedgifs.com/images/others/mjgif303.gif

dlk
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I understand people are passionate about their sports, but I 've never came close to going that far in caring about sports, even when my own team lost in the championship game (back to back loses in 5th & 6th grade football title games) I found myself in awe at my teammates who cried. And I gave evrything I had into winning (was quarterback/running back & monsterman).

norbac
12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Never cried over anything sports related, just don't see the point in it. Been gutted and sad a few times (W09 final was probably the biggest one), but never actually cried.

pound cat
12-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Common sense has absolutely nothing to do with emotion. Different people cry over different things, some over animals, some over people, some over what they see as a beautiful things.

slice bh compliment
12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
I've been sad to lose an actual match. BUt I have never really been gutted over a pro's loss. Davis Cup team or college team, sure, but never an individual (even Rog, Becker, Goran, Noah, Mac, Pete, Guga, et al).

I've been moved to tears by exception play and a well-deserved title for sure.

In addition to the aforementioned, Guga drawing that heart on the court (both times) was moving. So was the time Andre retired and gave the speech (and I don't even like him that much). So was the time Courier was a Davis Cup hero against GBR.

rossi46
12-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Common sense has absolutely nothing to do with emotion. Different people cry over different things, some over animals, some over people, some over what they see as a beautiful things.

If someone cries because Federer or Nadal or whoever loses a grand slam final then they aren't living in the real world, are delusional and should seek urgent medical help.

Ico
12-13-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm not old enough to have seen most of the matches in this thread and I'm a fairly jaded person, but I was genuinely gutted after Federer blew his chances in the USO semi this year. I think I may have shed a single tear of joy after the Fedal WTF match.

OddJack
12-13-2011, 05:41 PM
If someone cries because Federer or Nadal or whoever loses a grand slam final then they aren't living in the real world, are delusional and should seek urgent medical help.

Emotion is humane. Even animals have emotions.

You like to simplify or ridicule it by saying " if Federer or Nadal loses", but it can be a movie, or reading a story in a book, or even you remembering a memory.
Like person you responded to said, different people feel differently for different things they care about. It is not a disease that needs medical help. It's normal.

And, you are being normal too, in a different way.

aphex
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Poor AND bitter...that's never a good combination.
Your apparent failure in life has made you very cynical. You should seek urgent medical help.

Roddick33
12-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Idk if anyone posted this, but definitely Roddick losing to Federer is Wimbledon 2009.

:'(

Roddick33
12-13-2011, 08:58 PM
^ loljk, I just saw the OP

Djoker_69
12-14-2011, 01:56 AM
I Know its not a match per say, but i get a little teary every time I see Agassi's retirement speech :)

tusharlovesrafa
12-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I cried at closing ceremony of AO2009..I cried when federer cried..

egn
12-16-2011, 12:51 AM

I felt for Andy as well, so close, a few mistakes here and there but even then you almost could see a part of him that day kind of die in that 5th set when Federer won.

zcarzach
12-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Not a crier, but I didn't like to see Fed lose the 2011 French final. I really didn't like to see Lleyton Hewitt lose the 2005 Australian final. Even though I respect Safin as a player, I was really hoping Lleyton would pull that one off.

There have been others, but those are two that stick out.