PDA

View Full Version : Tomic, a fast car and a policeman

Bartelby
12-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Tomic claims harrassment over his 150k BMW:Tomic, Australia's top-ranked male tennis player, says he is being victimised by a 'jealous' Coast traffic cop who has pulled him up several times while out and about in his distinctive bright orange BMW M3.

The 19-year-old P-plater has a special Department of Transport exemption allowing him to drive the V8-powered vehicle.

Tomic alleged he was being targeted by the officer, who he refused to name, and said he was 'scared'.

"He doesn't like me for some reason ... he's always on my tail,'' the teenager said.

"I think it's really bad. I haven't done a thing wrong - I just go about my business as a tennis player.''

Tomic said he was pulled up on Sunday night in Surfers Paradise after he was allegedly seen hooning on the Southport Spit.

He said he was pulled up at traffic lights and denied he had broken the law.

"I didn't speed, I didn't do any of that stuff,'' he said.

"The car's very loud but I don't know what he (the police officer) defines as hooning.

"It (being pulled over) scared me a bit, to be honest. He's pulled me over a few times but now it's starting to get a little bit more aggressive.''

Police said the special licence exemption allowed Tomic to drive the BMW to and from training at Southport's Queens Park tennis centre.

But Tomic, who this year became the youngest man to make the Wimbledon quarter-finals, said he understood he was entitled to drive at any time in the course of his professional duties.

"I've got training, gym, massages and meetings I have to go to ... my days are very busy getting ready for the summer (tennis season),'' he said.

"I don't know what it is - jealousy or whatever - but this policeman seems to have it in for me. If I did the wrong thing, he would charge me, but he hasn't.

"I know he has a job to do but so do I.''

However, Tomic said he did not plan to lodge an official complaint about the officer.

"If he wants to keep pulling me over, there's nothing I can do about it,'' he said.

"I just hope it stops.''

equinox
12-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Tomics probably right, we live in such a nanny state in Australia today.

He should just move to a tax haven overseas.

USERNAME
12-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Lol I hate him for saying he has an M3... Id pull him over :twisted:

jokinla
12-12-2011, 10:09 PM
150k for an M3?? Are you sure it's not an M6. And if it is an M3 why?

Kaz00
12-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I like Tomic more and more haha

accidental
12-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Thats about right for an M3 in Australia. Cars are expensive here

Bartelby
12-12-2011, 10:23 PM
BMW M3 Pure Edition: review

By Paul PottingerThe Daily Telegraph11 May 2011EmailPrint+-

Paul Pottinger describes the BMW M3 Coupe Pure Edition as 'blazingly quick for a road car'...

Paul Pottinger road tests and reviews the BMW M3 Pure Edition.

You could want for a little more ride comfort. You might find it just a bit much to live with. Then you should be looking for another car. A V8, a manual transmission, rear-wheel-drive and something approaching 50:50 fore and aft weight distribution is of itself a formula for perfection, yet BMW's M3 somehow transcends that to be something altogether more.

VALUE

Recently we asked, rhetorically it seemed at the time, if an M3 was worth the premium over the rather splendid 335i Coupe with its twin scroll turbo charged inline six (which makes 225kW but shares the M3's 400Nm).

Well, as it turns out, yes it is, especially the 100 examples of the Australia-only Pure Edition coupes and sedans (priced at $145,000 and $131,700) that we drove in two door form. The first V8 M3 is very likely to be the last with a naturally aspirated engine. Auction an organ on **** for you will never want or need another car. You will keep this forever. Amen.

Specifics? Well, there's the multi-media system with proximity sensors and stuff but none of the myriad ride or steering setting that come with the top priced models. Frankly you'd pay to be without these.

TECHNOLOGY

As stated: a glorious, tuneful, 4.0-litre V8 good for 309kW and 400Nm, a six speed manual and the M Differential on the rear to abet your haste in leaving a corner. "Pure" is no empty marketing catchphrase.

DESIGN

The E92 shape has been with us since '06 and remains the most becoming 3 Series though this is no boast next to an outgoing a sedan that appears to have been sculpted in Lego. The M3 is distinguished partly by its badging but mostly by that tumescent bonnet bulge.

The Pure Edition is further marked by smoky 19-inch alloys and black accents. Design signatures double kidney grille, Hoffmeister kink in the rear side windows and slight front overhang are present and correct.

SAFETY

Of the top drawer. Five NCAP stars and all the active acronyms. Love the way in which the front seatbelts are extended by robotic arms. Less enamoured by the absence of a spare tyre.

DRIVING

Even on Australian mule tracks, among the Western World's worst drivers and a venal "road safety" regime, the M3 is life enhancing.

Like the least B***, it can be driven in a leisurely, even lazy, fashion and yet reward with its fulsomely weighted steering and near exact balance. At 4.8 seconds from standing to 100km/h it's blazingly quick for a road car but that would be meaningless if it didn't translate to such sublimely intuitive handling. Cornering seems an act of osmosis; you observe the road's curvature negotiate it without conscious input at a rate of knots that would elude you in almost anything else.

Yet the ride, while leaving you in not the least doubt as to the road's precise topography, is better than tolerable. The only caveat is the slightly long throw nature of the shift action. Something bespoke, short and sharp is surely warranted. Even this is more characteristic than outright fault and in any case cannot persuade us not to award our first perfect score.

VERDICT

Count the stars. This a great car.

RATING

Five Stars

BMW M3 COUPE PURE EDITION

Price: $145,000
Warranty: 3 year/unlimited
Resale: 15,000km/12 months
Safety equipment: Six airbags; ABS, EDBA, EBA, TC
Crash rating: five stars
Engine: 4.0-litre V8 petrol; 309kW/400Nm
Body: 2 doors, 4-seats
Dimensions: 4615mm (L); 1540mm (W); 1424mm (H); 2761mm (WB)
Weight: 1600kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Economy: 12.4L/100km; 290g/km Co2

USERNAME
12-12-2011, 10:26 PM

Paul Pottinger describes the BMW M3 Coupe Pure Edition as 'blazingly quick for a road car'...

You could want for a little more ride comfort. You might find it just a bit much to live with. Then you should be looking for another car. A V8, a manual transmission, rear-wheel-drive and something approaching 50:50 fore and aft weight distribution is of itself a formula for perfection, yet BMW's M3 somehow transcends that to be something altogether more.

VALUE

Recently we asked, rhetorically it seemed at the time, if an M3 was worth the premium over the rather splendid 335i Coupe with its twin scroll turbo charged inline six (which makes 225kW but shares the M3's 400Nm).

Well, as it turns out, yes it is, especially the 100 examples of the Australia-only Pure Edition coupes and sedans (priced at $145,000 and $131,700) that we drove in two door form. The first V8 M3 is very likely to be the last with a naturally aspirated engine. Auction an organ on **** for you will never want or need another car. You will keep this forever. Amen.

Specifics? Well, there's the multi-media system with proximity sensors and stuff but none of the myriad ride or steering setting that come with the top priced models. Frankly you'd pay to be without these.

TECHNOLOGY

As stated: a glorious, tuneful, 4.0-litre V8 good for 309kW and 400Nm, a six speed manual and the M Differential on the rear to abet your haste in leaving a corner. "Pure" is no empty marketing catchphrase.

DESIGN

The E92 shape has been with us since '06 and remains the most becoming 3 Series though this is no boast next to an outgoing a sedan that appears to have been sculpted in Lego. The M3 is distinguished partly by its badging but mostly by that tumescent bonnet bulge.

The Pure Edition is further marked by smoky 19-inch alloys and black accents. Design signatures double kidney grille, Hoffmeister kink in the rear side windows and slight front overhang are present and correct.

SAFETY

Of the top drawer. Five NCAP stars and all the active acronyms. Love the way in which the front seatbelts are extended by robotic arms. Less enamoured by the absence of a spare tyre.

DRIVING

Even on Australian mule tracks, among the Western World's worst drivers and a venal "road safety" regime, the M3 is life enhancing.

Like the least B***, it can be driven in a leisurely, even lazy, fashion and yet reward with its fulsomely weighted steering and near exact balance. At 4.8 seconds from standing to 100km/h it's blazingly quick for a road car but that would be meaningless if it didn't translate to such sublimely intuitive handling. Cornering seems an act of osmosis; you observe the road's curvature negotiate it without conscious input at a rate of knots that would elude you in almost anything else.

Yet the ride, while leaving you in not the least doubt as to the road's precise topography, is better than tolerable. The only caveat is the slightly long throw nature of the shift action. Something bespoke, short and sharp is surely warranted. Even this is more characteristic than outright fault and in any case cannot persuade us not to award our first perfect score.

VERDICT

RATING

Five Stars

Im hating Tomic more and more as this thread goes on :cry:

MonfilsMadness
12-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Good to see the police doing their job.
Hoons are a blight on society - unfortunately we have plenty in this country.
Looks like Tomic is just another one.

Paul Murphy
12-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Update from AAP:

Tennis player Bernard Tomic says a Gold Coast police officer who accused him of hooning told the rising Australian star he wanted to put him in the newspapers.
The 19-year-old, who rose to prominence when he made the quarter-finals of this year's Wimbledon Championships, was pulled over in the centre of Surfers Paradise on Sunday night, the Gold Coast Bulletin reported, but was not issued with a ticket.
The tennis star is still on his P-plates but has a special exemption to drive a high-performance BMW M3 sports car.
In a statement, Queensland police said they were investigating ``a number of alleged traffic offences and breaches of the exemption'' by Tomic.
However, the tennis player told the Nine Network he wasn't hooning and the police officer had taken exception to him.
''(He) asked me to take the keys out of the car and took me aside and said, 'You shouldn't be driving this car again','' Tomic told the network.
'' ... He just wanted to bust me at the scene and he even told me himself he wanted to put me in the papers.
``It's a bad feeling if you have someone doing that, I think.''

Tomic said he was driving to training and was not breaking the law.
The Department of Transport and Main Roads exemption allows the Gold Coast player to drive the bright orange V8 to and from training and other activities directly related to his tennis.
The car's speed is electronically limited, although its top speed still exceeds 250km/h.
Tomic denies the hooning claims, arguing he is the victim of a vendetta by a Gold Coast police officer.
The statement said any member of the public who had concerns about the conduct of an officer can contact their nearest police station, the police ethical standards command or the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC).

joeri888
12-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Tomic is an idiot. He views the world this way:

William & Kate, Justin Bieber, Roger Federer, Nelson Mandela, Lionel Messi, Bernard Tomic, Barack Obama

The rest of the world

rossi46
12-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Good to see the police doing their job.
Hoons are a blight on society - unfortunately we have plenty in this country.
Looks like Tomic is just another one.

Too right mate, I live in Sydney and it is pretty bad. Sounds like Bernard has **** between his ears, a P plater driving around in a bright orange high performance BMW ???

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 02:03 AM
Too right mate, I live in Sydney and it is pretty bad. Sounds like Bernard has **** between his ears, a P plater driving around in a bright orange high performance BMW ???

Agreed. I actually live in Queensland (and travel to the Gold Coast regularly) and the number of hoons on the road is appalling (and highly dangerous).
Poor little Bernie.
Doesn't that bad policeman know who he is?

batz
12-13-2011, 02:32 AM
What's a Hoon?

batz
12-13-2011, 02:38 AM
I had an E46 SMG II M3 in estoril blue. God, I loved that car.

DanaKz
12-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Those annual Tomic-dramas becoming boooring. :roll:

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 02:39 AM
What's a Hoon?

A driver, generally a young/younger person (though by no means always) who owns (or steals) a hotted-up car and proceeds to drive it at high speeds in a dangerous fashion around the streets.
They also have a highly irritating habit of installing incredibly loud stereos in their cars which they proceed to play with the windows down and at the highest level possible.
Unfortunately their lack of good taste is only equalled by their determination to share their vile "music" with anyone within a radius of several kilometres.
They're nothing an RPG couldn't fix.

batz
12-13-2011, 02:41 AM
A driver, generally a young/younger person (though by no means always) who owns (or steals) a hotted-up car and proceeds to drive it at high speeds in a dangerous fashion around the streets.
They also have a highly irritating habit of installing incredibly loud stereos in their cars which they proceed to play with the windows down and at the highest level possible.
Unfortunately their lack of good taste is only equalled by their determination to share their vile "music" with anyone within a radius of several kilometres.

Thanks - in the UK we call them 'Boy Racers'.

westside
12-13-2011, 03:10 AM
In Vic, P platers are not allowed to drive V8's. Is this the same in other states?

And bright orange? Surely not...

Bartelby
12-13-2011, 04:09 AM
He has an exemption to drive one so its usually forbidden.

I had a mild mannered friend who bought a cheap car that habitually attracted the attention of the police, so its possible the situation is as he describes it.

Cars have their own version of racial profiling.

Darko
12-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Tomic is an idiot. He views the world this way:

William & Kate, Justin Bieber, Roger Federer, Nelson Mandela, Lionel Messi, Bernard Tomic, Barack Obama

The rest of the world

Chat to him often, do you?

j00dypoo
12-13-2011, 05:24 AM
hah @ hooning - that word has a nice sound to it.

The whole street racing scene here was much larger in the early 00's and has since died off a bit. That was back when NFS Underground was a big game and The Fast and the Furious series was just getting started.

Now there are public autocross time trials and races (at random parking lots and official race circuits) all the time that has helped tremendously to diffuse the masses of illegal racing. Maybe the Gold Coast region should follow suit.

I can't tell if Tomic or the cop are at fault here, but I never liked Tomic anyways. He looks like an idiot. :/

timmeh
12-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Sounds like Tomic ****ed off a cop.

That's basically illegal here - they will find a way to get you. The cops are a bunch of power trippers.

jokinla
12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Thats about right for an M3 in Australia. Cars are expensive here

Wow, that is double the price we pay.

Spin Doctor
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
This is the first I have heard of "hooning". I had to google it.

Why does he need a special license? Is it because of the car or because of his age?

If the car is built for racing then it just makes sense that the person driving it is going to drive it fast. That is what its made for.

Anyway, wouldn't surprise me if Tomic was a d1ck to the cop and so now they're harassing him. Don't **** off the po-po.

adamX012
12-13-2011, 05:58 PM
At least, he was not speeding.......

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Well, given he has not as yet been charged with anything, it looks like typical trial by media tall poppy syndrome.

Welcome to Australia. (QLD is pretty backward, after all :))

A lot of the Tomic haters in this country (of whom there are less and less) seem to find it very difficult to separate Bernard from his father John and often attribute comments from the latter to the former...

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Well, given he has not as yet been charged with anything, it looks like typical trial by media tall poppy syndrome.

Welcome to Australia. (QLD is pretty backward, after all :))

A lot of the Tomic haters in this country (of whom there are less and less) seem to find it very difficult to separate Bernard from his father John and often attribute comments from the latter to the former...

Looks like the Queensland police are certainly up to doing their job which is good to see.

I take it you're either a Victorian or Tasmanian - either way, you have my sympathies.

Shaolin
12-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Ah. So hoon just means d0uchebag.

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Ah. So hoon just means d0uchebag.

Yep, you got it.

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Seems to me that if Bernie was in the right he'd want to lodge a complaint and put this overbearing cop in his place.

I wonder why he won't....

GOLD Coast police have dismissed a claim by rising tennis star Bernard Tomic that a local officer is running a vendetta against him.

Police say Tomic's accusations that a police officer wanted to give him bad press about hooning have been overseen by a senior officer and no disciplinary action will be taken.

"No evidence of any breach of discipline or misconduct has been identified in the review," police said in a statement.

Tomic, 19, is being investigated for a number of complaints of hooning in his high-performance BMW M3 sports car.

In turn, Tomic has accused a local officer of threatening to put his name in the newspapers.

The young star, who rose to prominence when he made the quarter-finals at Wimbledon this year, was pulled over in the centre of Surfers Paradise on Sunday night but was not issued with a ticket.

Tomic claims the officer took him aside and told him he shouldn't be driving the vehicle, even though he was driving to training and was not breaking the law.

He is still on his P-plates but has a special exemption to drive his bright orange V8 to and from training and other activities directly related to his tennis.

Police said despite being invited to do so, they have not received any official complaint from Tomic.

Bartelby
12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Police investigating police is pretty useless as you'll lose no matter what, but who knows what the truth of the matter is.

The complaint of hooning though is a very subjective one, as it is a question of judgement. Here is the law:

Any person who drives a motor vehicle on a road or elsewhere without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place is guilty of an offence.

Bartelby
12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
As you can see from the statute, it doesn't just cover racing it covers anything and everything so if someone wanted to give you a hard time it's very easy.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Is that really the definition? Gosh, you could apply that to grey nomads who never look in the mirror!

Bartelby
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, there seems to be a trend that governments sieze on real social problems and then invent a law that is so wide that it infringes upon citizens rights and then they just tell you - 'so you support hooning?'

gsharma
12-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Reminds me of Mad Max.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Looks like the Queensland police are certainly up to doing their job which is good to see.

I take it you're either a Victorian or Tasmanian - either way, you have my sympathies.

I sense an LNP voter in their 50s...

15_ounce
12-13-2011, 07:24 PM
So many Gold Coast car drivers are violating the law. Driving while talking on a mobile phone (even texting!!!), changing lane without signalling, speeding, hooning, tooting, yelling, doing a burn-out in the suburb, and even on a grass at the park nearby where I live.... etc etc. It's just horrible. Today I was walking on the footpath and these stupid GC teenagers screamed their lung out at me from their car.

QLD police shouldn't give any exemption to any P plater to drive v8 cars. It's just ridiculous. It's clearly stated on the rule that P plater is not allowed to drive high-powered cars.

I myself hate cars and never drive all my life and prefer to walk, catch the bus/train or cycle.

Tomic should cycle to the training centre more often, that will improve his footwork :mrgreen:

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
How do you enjoy living there? My sister and her family have lived in Benowa for 20 years and every time I vist the GC seems to have less appeal. More like Miami every day in all the not so good ways.
But you don't get much of a picture as a visitor. Your thoughts?

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I sense an LNP voter in their 50s...

Come now, don't be bashful, be proud of where you're from.

Which is it? Victoria or Tasmania?

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh, I am very proud, thanks.

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 07:34 PM
So many Gold Coast car drivers are violating the law. Driving while talking on a mobile phone (even texting!!!), changing lane without signalling, speeding, hooning, tooting, yelling, doing a burn-out in the suburb, and even on a grass at the park nearby where I live.... etc etc. It's just horrible. Today I was walking on the footpath and these stupid GC teenagers screamed their lung out at me from their car.

QLD police shouldn't give any exemption to any P plater to drive v8 cars. It's just ridiculous. It's clearly stated on the rule that P plater is not allowed to drive high-powered cars.

I myself hate cars and never drive all my life and prefer to walk, catch the bus/train or cycle.

Tomic should cycle to the training centre more often, that will improve his footwork :mrgreen:

Standards of behaviour are simply getting worse and worse.
Kids have no respect for the law and the courts are much too lenient.
Anything goes these days.
I try to limit my coast visits to once a fortnight but Brisbane is no better.

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh, I am very proud, thanks.

You must be a little embarrassed. Sorry if i hit a raw nerve.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Not at all, as I mentioned in another post, my sister lives in your fair region, I visit her often, and have a bit of a giggle at the local media while I am there. (althought it isn't a patch on Darwin in that regard)

I am in Melbourne, actually...

15_ounce
12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
How do you enjoy living there? My sister and her family have lived in Benowa for 20 years and every time I vist the GC seems to have less appeal. More like Miami every day in all the not so good ways.
But you don't get much of a picture as a visitor. Your thoughts?

I spend most of my time away from the traffic, so I enjoy my life. I live well away from the centre (the concrete jungle & traffic). I love exploring the hinterland, bushwalking, and do my stuff at home (tennis, swimming and computer work) away from the busy suburbs... One thing I like here is it's not too hot like up north and not too cold like down south.

Bartelby
12-13-2011, 07:46 PM
The problem is that part of the Gold Coast and, to a lesser extent, Brisbane have become devoted to drunken Baccchanalian revelry encouraged immensely by the alcohol industry that also is kind enough to bring you problem gambling.

Most of these people who go overboard wake up on a Monday morning and go off to work, so there's no real generational issue.

It's a cultural issue brought on by the sheer boredom of mundane existence, which young people feel more acutely.

Standards of behaviour are simply getting worse and worse.
Kids have no respect for the law and the courts are much too lenient.
Anything goes these days.
I try to limit my coast visits to once a fortnight but Brisbane is no better.

Sentinel
12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Poor kid. First they schedule him to play Cilic way past his bedtime, and now hound him on the road.

Shaolin
12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Yep, you got it.

Ok thanks :)

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I spend most of my time away from the traffic, so I enjoy my life. I live well away from the centre (the concrete jungle & traffic). I love exploring the hinterland, bushwalking, and do my stuff at home (tennis, swimming and computer work) away from the busy suburbs... One thing I like here is it's not too hot like up north and not too cold like down south.

yes, the climate is nice, I agree.

I guess I prefer teh GC to Brisbane, at least GC knows what it is, Brisbane just tries SOOO hard to be something it isn't and misses by so far...

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Not at all, as I mentioned in another post, my sister lives in your fair region, I visit her often, and have a bit of a giggle at the local media while I am there. (althought it isn't a patch on Darwin in that regard)

I am in Melbourne, actually...

That's strange - you posted this on December 1:

"plenty of Jazz bands in Melbourne...

plenty of tennis courts, too, you could do worse!!!

I am worried I won't come back from th efirst week of the AO!

(I only live a 45 minute flight away, though, so..lol)"

Funny that.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-13-2011, 08:37 PM
That's where I am right now, at a tennis club in North Kew.

I live in Tas and I'm from Sydney, so, is that complete enough for you?

I think it might have been the part about the LNP that touched a nerve....:)

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
That's where I am right now, at a tennis club in North Kew.

I live in Tas and I'm from Sydney, so, is that complete enough for you?

I think it might have been the part about the LNP that touched a nerve....:)

No it was the cracks about Queensland.

Let's face it - anyone who lives in Tasmania isn't in a position to have a go at Queensland or Queenslanders.

I've seen the place - too many eyes that aren't synchronised and we all know why.

Cue the banjo scene from Deliverance.....

15_ounce
12-13-2011, 11:01 PM
A comment from someone who has witnessed Tomic's hooning, at foxsportnews website:

Justin Lim of Sovereign Island says… Today at 12:25 PM

I'm a big Tomic fan, but i've witnessed at least a few times where he has driven around Broadbeach/Surfers in a way that would draw attention to himself. Driving down the esplanade with the engine hitting the limiter and allowing the tyres to squeal whilst turning at an intersection would be an example of this. I know this as I work in Surfers and his bright orange M3 is easy to spot. I own an Audi RS4 and don't attract any police attention. I'm under 25 as well.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/bernard-tomic-claiming-police-harassment-after-being-pulled-over-while-driving-his-luxury-sports-car/story-e6frf4mu-1226221451347

MonfilsMadness
12-13-2011, 11:10 PM
A comment from someone who has witnessed Tomic's hooning, at foxsportnews website:

I'm a big Tomic fan, but i've witnessed at least a few times where he has driven around Broadbeach/Surfers in a way that would draw attention to himself. Driving down the esplanade with the engine hitting the limiter and allowing the tyres to squeal whilst turning at an intersection would be an example of this. I know this as I work in Surfers and his bright orange M3 is easy to spot. I own an Audi RS4 and don't attract any police attention. I'm under 25 as well.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/bernard-tomic-claiming-police-harassment-after-being-pulled-over-while-driving-his-luxury-sports-car/story-e6frf4mu-1226221451347

Thanks for posting that.
Maybe poor Bernard isn't a police victim after all.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-14-2011, 02:03 AM

Let's face it - anyone who lives in Tasmania isn't in a position to have a go at Queensland or Queenslanders.

I've seen the place - too many eyes that aren't synchronised and we all know why.

lol, two words: Queensland Health

rossi46
12-14-2011, 02:37 AM

Good one mate

nadalwon2012
12-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Most Australian cops (and cops of many other countries too) behave like idiots, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tomic is right.

slice bh compliment
12-14-2011, 03:26 AM
My favorite part is how Tomic's agent has used this very small story to make Tomic look good. But also kind of bad. As long as they spell his name right, it's good to be in the papers.

TennisLovaLova
12-14-2011, 03:30 AM

Must be a M3 CSL Cabriolet with a custom interior then

15_ounce
12-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks for posting that.
Maybe poor Bernard isn't a police victim after all.

Most Australian cops (and cops of many other countries too) behave like idiots, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tomic is right.

He can't be trusted 100%. He already lied several times. At the end of last year he said he was sick so he couldn't play in AO play off. It turned out he practiced tennis at home despite of this sickness he had. He refused to practice with Hewitt at Wimbledon because his camp said Hewitt is not good enough... he told the media that wasn't true and the truth was that he was sick with flu... which was not true because he tried to practice with Juan Carlos Ferrero instead.

Now he's saying he didn't speed with his car. The police asked him to lodge a complaint. If he feels he's so innocent, he should lodge a complaint.. yet he didn't lodge a complaint (which mean he feels he's guilty after all). We have a witness here, Justin Lim who had seen him several times speeding over the limit, with tyres screeching at intersection... So Tomic's defense was pathetic. Furthermore, there are already several complaints made by the public about a bright orange BMW M3 hooning.

He is allowed to drive the V8 powered car as long as it's related directly to his tennis activity. What the hell he was doing at The Spit??? Playing tennis? It's a hoon paradise for God's sake.

QLD police is just corrupt to allow a 19 y.o. P plater to drive a V8 car. It's lunatic. They're as corrupt as the QLD Health department too whose one of his staff has stolen 16 million bucks.

MonfilsMadness
12-14-2011, 07:54 AM
lol, two words: Queensland Health

Tasmanian health, lol.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=deliverance&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ASUT_enAU393AU393&biw=1366&bih=641&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=h7RaYSO24akeyM:&imgrefurl=http://www.themoviegourmet.com/%3Fpage_id%3D4926&docid=kyGqTBQeHzkzSM&imgurl=http://www.themoviegourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/teeth-deliverance1.jpg&w=500&h=261&ei=cNPoTpuRLouRiQeSgaXjCw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=394&sig=102207346663840032229&page=3&tbnh=80&tbnw=153&start=43&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:43&tx=126&ty=44

Shall I call you boy?

MonfilsMadness
12-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Good one mate

Thanks mate.
Can you imagine, a Tasmanian, who initially pretended to live in Melbourne, having a crack at Queenslanders for being backward.
The irony is just so delicious.

Sentinel
12-14-2011, 08:59 AM
What Tomic needs more than a fast car is fast women.

tusharlovesrafa
12-14-2011, 09:21 AM
what tomic needs is 50 rupees..just bribe the policemen and get away easily..tomic is just to dumb and childish i guess..He needs to learn this from me..

NJ1
12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I had an E46 SMG II M3 in estoril blue. God, I loved that car.

Special order Individual paint? I loved that color on E36s. I recently sold my Sapphire Black E60 M5 and I've basically regretted it every day since. Just wasn't using it enough and my wife hated the SMGIII trans. The upcoming F10 looks great though, the DCT as from the E90/92 M3 seems like the answer though I haven't tried it. Not sure I want to deal with the depreciation again though so I'll guess I'll see how business goes over the next year.

To answer another poster, CSL was available only in E46-form and as a hard top, for what it's worth. Cars come behind only family and friends in the fun stakes for me.

slice bh compliment
12-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, the trick is to get your BMW 3 series in silver. And make it a wagon. Oh, and drive safely at or fairly close to the speed limit.
Oh, and to not act like a complete and utter hoon while driving and in life.

Then, and only then, Bernie, will you have peace.

batz
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Special order Individual paint? I loved that color on E36s. I recently sold my Sapphire Black E60 M5 and I've basically regretted it every day since. Just wasn't using it enough and my wife hated the SMGIII trans. The upcoming F10 looks great though, the DCT as from the E90/92 M3 seems like the answer though I haven't tried it. Not sure I want to deal with the depreciation again though so I'll guess I'll see how business goes over the next year.

To answer another poster, CSL was available only in E46-form and as a hard top, for what it's worth. Cars come behind only family and friends in the fun stakes for me.

Yep - that's the fella. An amazing car. The last 2 winters forced me to buy a 4x4 this year - an F25 X3 3.0d M Sport.

E60 M5 is a beast of a car mate - that V10 must've been an absolute blast.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks mate.
Can you imagine, a Tasmanian, who initially pretended to live in Melbourne, having a crack at Queenslanders for being backward.
The irony is just so delicious.

:)

and you wonder why nobody takes you seriously..

nadalwon2012
12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I hope Nadal gets to play Tomic many times next year to build up a big head2head lead before Tomic eventually takes over the mantle in a few years time. Although I think prime Tomic will trouble Djokovic a lot more than Nadal, based on what I saw in Tomic's match at Wimbledon.

NJ1
12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Yep - that's the fella. An amazing car. The last 2 winters forced me to buy a 4x4 this year - an F25 X3 3.0d M Sport.

E60 M5 is a beast of a car mate - that V10 must've been an absolute blast.

Nice. One of the nicest and most unique paint colors on a production vehicle. X5s with that straight six diesel are really nice cars, and about the best handling SUVs on the market.

Thanks, yeah as I say I still question my decision to sell. Went like there was no tomorrow and handled well for 4,000lbs, though obviously not quite as sharp in the latter dept as your E46.

Funny, we're in basically the same boat bud. Except a new dog rather than the weather. Land Cruiser 200-series for me, solid and easier to punt around the city in but not the same as 8k redlines as you well know. :)

Boricua
12-14-2011, 11:59 AM

VALUE

TECHNOLOGY

DESIGN

SAFETY

DRIVING

VERDICT

RATING

Five Stars

photo of Tomics orange ME?

batz
12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Nice. One of the nicest and most unique paint colors on a production vehicle. X5s with that straight six diesel are really nice cars, and about the best handling SUVs on the market.

Thanks, yeah as I say I still question my decision to sell. Went like there was no tomorrow and handled well for 4,000lbs, though obviously not quite as sharp in that dept as your E46.

Funny, we're in basically the same boat bud. Except a new dog rather than the weather. Land Cruiser 200-series for me, solid and easier to punt around the city in but not the same as 8k redlines as you well know. :)

The big Toyota will go forever and never let you down - but that noise as it reached 8000 rpm; and changeups with your foot flat to the floor. Man, it was like holding on the to outside of the space shuttle.

CitationJet
12-14-2011, 02:36 PM
A mate of mine lives in the GC told me that Bernie was stopped just after he had dropped off his good mate Brydan Klein at the airport after a fair dinkum night of bogan hooning and chunder in Logan City; too right mate!

:p

MonfilsMadness
12-14-2011, 04:25 PM
:)

and you wonder why nobody takes you seriously..

That's it? That's all you've got? A claim based on extensive polling I expect.
You'll have to try harder than that.
While you're trying to come up with something better, you enjoy it down there in the deep south, ya hear.
I spent about four weeks in Tasmania in 2007 and you and I know that that Deliverance picture is representative of what can be found down there.
Enjoy. :)

MonfilsMadness
12-14-2011, 04:46 PM
A mate of mine lives in the GC told me that Bernie was stopped just after he had dropped off his good mate Brydan Klein at the airport after a fair dinkum night of bogan hooning and chunder in Logan City; too right mate!

:p

In a relatively short time as a public figure Bernie and the clan have shown that they really don't believe the rules apply to them, that they're somehow deserving of special treatment - this latest incident is just another example.
I'll never forget him (and not just his father) complaining about playing Cilic at the AO on Rod Laver Arena.
Any aspiring tennis player would kill for such a venue and exposure - all he did was complain that it was all too late for him.
It set the tone for what followed.
As someone else pointed out, knowing he'd get an AO wildcard, he feigned injury to miss the play-offs but was then spotted practising on the Gold Coast.
Again, it was a matter of the rules not applying to him - it's a pattern.
Didn't that cop know who Bernard is?
Don't those AO schedulers know who Bernard is?
Don't those wildcard playoff organisers know who Bernard is?

Bernard ran into trouble when he ran into Lleyton Hewitt - Lleyton knew what was Bernard is.
We're going to hear a lot more of Bernard and I doubt it'll just be about tennis either.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
That's it? That's all you've got? A claim based on extensive polling I expect.
You'll have to try harder than that.
While you're trying to come up with something better, you enjoy it down there in the deep south, ya hear.
I spent about four weeks in Tasmania in 2007 and you and I know that that Deliverance picture is representative of what can be found down there.
Enjoy. :)

That's ok, I lived in QLD for four years, lectured in English down at St Lucia, actually, and you and I both know exactly what I mean about Queensland. I don't need to spell it out, go for a walk in the valley on a friday night...

Kaz00
12-14-2011, 05:24 PM

After reading the article and many comments.... whats wrong with a V8?

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-14-2011, 05:35 PM

The policeman can't afford one?

adamX012
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Wonder if Tomic gets any speeding tickets before...

I had two!!!

MonfilsMadness
12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
That's ok, I lived in QLD for four years, lectured in English down at St Lucia, actually, and you and I both know exactly what I mean about Queensland. I don't need to spell it out, go for a walk in the valley on a friday night...

I bet your students learnt a lot.
Got my doubts about anything you say after the "I'm in Melbourne" line when pressed where you lived.
I notice you only admitted it was Tasmania after I trawled through your previous posts.
Don't be embarrassed about living in Tasmania, it's probably not your fault.
But while I'm on Tasmania you're no doubt aware that you leave Queensland for dead when it comes to the proportion of the state on welfare and the proportion of unmarried mothers.
It's a state chock full of welfare recipients, a tiny private sector and an equally large bunch of public servants to dole out the money from the Feds to the welfare recipients.
Tasmania lives off Australia, while WA and Qld subsidise your inadequacies to the tune of billions.
Check out the GST distribution.
Dear oh dear.
No wonder I can't get that banjo pickin' out of my head every time I think of you and Tassie, Australia's home of the Centrelink cheque.

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
how is the flood levy working out for you? All good?

You are really most amusing, I love how you never respond to a specific reference but happily fall back on schoolboy cliche and right wing rhetoric.. I bet you think the mining industry contributes the bulk of the national GDP and global warming is a leftist conspiracy...

But I don't need to respond to you, anymore, I know exactly what you are. :)

Kaz00
12-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Neither can I :( Would love to have a Ford GT...

MonfilsMadness
12-14-2011, 07:01 PM

You are really most amusing, I love how you never respond to a specific reference but happily fall back on schoolboy cliche and right wing rhetoric.. I bet you think the mining industry contributes the bulk of the national GDP and global warming is a leftist conspiracy...

This has been such fun. Thanks. :)

slice bh compliment
12-14-2011, 10:51 PM
We have this north-south argument over here in the States, too. Maybe even a middle vs coasts argument, a FL vs the other 49 argument ... and I'm sure they do a Quebec or BC vs the rest of the country one up in Canada.

15_ounce
12-15-2011, 12:36 AM

There is nothing wrong with a V8 car. What wrong is, Bernard Tomic only has a P (Provisional) driver licence, not yet an open licence... and he is well under 25 years of age. So Bernard would have a 'P' sticker on his car, and a P licence holders under 25 are actually not allowed to drive high-powered vehicles in Queensland Australia.

The Queensland transport driver's manual says:

Research shows that drivers take more risks such as speeding deliberately and driving recklessly when they are behind the wheel of a high-powered or 'performance' cars. That's why provisional licence holders under the age of 25, whether holding P1 or P2 licences, are not allowed to drive high-powered vehicles, such as those with:

- an engine with a power output of more than 200 kW
- eight or more cylinders
- a turbo-charged or super-charged engine (except a diesel-powered engine)
- a modified engine requiring approval under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999
- a rotary engine that has a capacity of more than 1146 cc.

So, it's not about the car, it's about the driver. Younger drivers tend to have more accidents. I'm appalled by the huge number of deaths caused by car crashes here in Queensland... a lot of them are young people. Often they are drunk-drivers as well. There was once an accident in other state that drunken teenagers were travelling in a car, and all of them were dead after the car crashed onto a tree. If I remember correctly, the driver didn't even have a driver licence.

nereis
12-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Natural selection. Let the stupid ******s wrap themselves around a pole at 90km/hr. Less stupid ******s able to pass their genes onto the next generation. More smart kids who won't kill themselves as time goes by. :twisted:

Paul Murphy
12-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Natural selection. Let the stupid ******s wrap themselves around a pole at 90km/hr. Less stupid ******s able to pass their genes onto the next generation. More smart kids who won't kill themselves as time goes by. :twisted:

Couldn't agree more. Well said. As long as they (bogans/hoons) only kill each other then I have no problem with it in the least.
It's when they take other law-abiding people with them that's when it's an issue.

gregor.b
12-15-2011, 01:14 AM
There is nothing wrong with a V8 car. What wrong is, Bernard Tomic only has a P (Provisional) driver licence, not yet an open licence... and he is well under 25 years of age. So Bernard would have a 'P' sticker on his car, and a P licence holders under 25 are actually not allowed to drive high-powered vehicles in Queensland Australia.

Research shows that drivers take more risks such as speeding deliberately and driving recklessly when they are behind the wheel of a high-powered or 'performance' cars. That's why provisional licence holders under the age of 25, whether holding P1 or P2 licences, are not allowed to drive high-powered vehicles, such as those with:

- a modified engine requiring approval under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999

So, it's not about the car, it's about the driver. Younger drivers tend to have more accidents. I'm appalled by the huge number of deaths caused by car crashes here in Queensland... a lot of them are young people. Often they are drunk-drivers as well. There was once an accident in other state that drunken teenagers were travelling in a car, and all of them were dead after the car crashed onto a tree. If I remember correctly, the driver didn't even have a driver licence.
Clearly,Bernie has better hand,eye and motor skills(reflexes,etc) than a very large portion of the population in his age group. However, that does not mean he is a great or 'mature' driver. Maybe he needs to do an advanced driver ed course so he is being seen to be doing the right thing. And stop hooning.For heaven's sake he could hire a race track.

slice bh compliment
12-15-2011, 04:40 AM
Anyone remember the singer named Shannon Hoon. Really unfortunate name, I'm now learning. Unfortunate death, too, back in the mid 90s. Drug abuser with an overdose. Band was Blind Melon, kind of a poppy/alt sound.

Kaz00
12-15-2011, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the info! I question how some of the people in the States have their license and drive around a camaro, suv, or mustang. Texting and driving is the worse actually gotta give a speech over it today haha.

Noltae
12-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Becker was younger than the Hoon when he made the Wimbledon QF's

j00dypoo
12-15-2011, 07:42 AM

i would agree, except those people have totaled two of my cars and almost killed me twice. Neither of them were injured.

MonfilsMadness
12-16-2011, 01:06 AM

Can't resist reopening our fun exchange (even if only briefly) because I've just got to pick you up on your flood levy line.
The floods were a natural disaster and a temporary impost only.
Your "un-natural disasters" i.e most of your population which consists of the misshapen, the malformed, the disfigured, the indolent, the welfare champions, etc etc are a huge drain on the nation's finances year, after year, after year.
Now that's a fact.
All the best from sunny Queensland. :)

MonfilsMadness
12-16-2011, 01:07 AM
i would agree, except those people have totaled two of my cars and almost killed me twice. Neither of them were injured.

Sorry to hear that.
Glad you survived but it's a pity about them.

Fate Archer
12-16-2011, 06:06 AM
In a relatively short time as a public figure Bernie and the clan have shown that they really don't believe the rules apply to them, that they're somehow deserving of special treatment - this latest incident is just another example.
I'll never forget him (and not just his father) complaining about playing Cilic at the AO on Rod Laver Arena.
Any aspiring tennis player would kill for such a venue and exposure - all he did was complain that it was all too late for him.
It set the tone for what followed.
As someone else pointed out, knowing he'd get an AO wildcard, he feigned injury to miss the play-offs but was then spotted practising on the Gold Coast.
Again, it was a matter of the rules not applying to him - it's a pattern.
Didn't that cop know who Bernard is?
Don't those AO schedulers know who Bernard is?
Don't those wildcard playoff organisers know who Bernard is?

Bernard ran into trouble when he ran into Lleyton Hewitt - Lleyton knew what was Bernard is.
We're going to hear a lot more of Bernard and I doubt it'll just be about tennis either.

It's this kind of stuff that is making me avoid being a fan of him. He's got a different, cool and unorthodox game but outside the courts he's been behaving like a ******bag.

I really hope he gets to play Hewitt early at this year's Ozz (even if they are on good terms now). That would be a match I would like to see.

It would be quite the humbling experience for him to realize who is not "good enough" and who is the one most of the crowd will back up in the packed Rod Laver Arena.

MonfilsMadness
12-16-2011, 07:32 AM
It's this kind of stuff that is making me avoid being a fan of him. He's got a different, cool and unorthodox game but outside the courts he's been behaving like a ******bag.

I really hope he gets to play Hewitt early at this year's Ozz (even if they are on good terms now). That would be a match I would like to see.

It would be quite the humbling experience for him to realize who is not "good enough" and who is the one most of the crowd will back up in the packed Rod Laver Arena.

I can't stand him and I'm a patriotic Australian.
I'm with you. I'd love to see Lleyton take him down at the AO.
I'd pay big money to see that.

15_ounce
12-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I hope there will be more great Aussie players with a more genuine, down to earth and hard working atttitude such as Patrick Rafter, Lleyton Hewitt, Wayne Arthurs, The Woodies and the likes. I can't really support someone who is up to themselves, arrogant (outside of the court), self-centred and more importantly, a liar.

adamX012
12-16-2011, 07:15 PM
How's southbank lately? No flood invasion nowadays..

15_ounce
12-17-2011, 03:05 AM
How's southbank lately? No flood invasion nowadays..

I haven't been to Brisbane for ages, though it's only 1 hr by train. I saw on TV that Pat Rafter arena is all ready with some more minor fix need to be done. They've replaced all the damaged chairs and court and so on. I can't remember how much they spent for this repair work, I think it's about 7 million AUD or something like that. They also enhanced some of the facilities for the benefit of the players. I look forward to see Andy Murray practising though I'm not really a fan of him.

The dam management learned from the flood earlier this year that they should really let the dam's gate open before the dam gets too full. They knew that it would cause major flooding yet they didn't open the gate earlier. Now they let the water flow before the dam gets too full otherwise this year's tragedy will be repeated again.

MonfilsMadness
12-17-2011, 03:58 AM
I hope there will be more great Aussie players with a more genuine, down to earth and hard working atttitude such as Patrick Rafter, Lleyton Hewitt, Wayne Arthurs, The Woodies and the likes. I can't really support someone who is up to themselves, arrogant (outside of the court), self-centred and more importantly, a liar.

Nicely put.

adamX012
12-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I haven't been to Brisbane for ages, though it's only 1 hr by train. I saw on TV that Pat Rafter arena is all ready with some more minor fix need to be done. They've replaced all the damaged chairs and court and so on. I can't remember how much they spent for this repair work, I think it's about 7 million AUD or something like that. They also enhanced some of the facilities for the benefit of the players. I look forward to see Andy Murray practising though I'm not really a fan of him.

The dam management learned from the flood earlier this year that they should really let the dam's gate open before the dam gets too full. They knew that it would cause major flooding yet they didn't open the gate earlier. Now they let the water flow before the dam gets too full otherwise this year's tragedy will be repeated again.

Hopefully, the damage is repaired though for 2012 AO. Thinking of visiting there when I feel free. Talking about Andy Murray, what's your perception about this guy? I saw it in another thread, he married decker right?

SoBad
12-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Sounds like papa Tomic has found a decent publicist for Bern, good for them. Now we have a couple of weeks to recall who Tomic is before their home slam season.

Bartelby
12-17-2011, 09:17 PM
If Tomic wins, he's Australian; if he loses, he's just someone with a foreign name who hoons.

ninman
12-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Why not just buy a cheap VW Golf or something equivalent? If he doesn't want to draw attention to himself just a common, standard, every day car.

Bartelby
12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Why buy a car at all, if that is indeed not a loan, if youre a travelling pro?

15_ounce
12-18-2011, 02:19 AM
If Tomic wins, he's Australian; if he loses, he's just someone with a foreign name who hoons.

Tennis is an individual game. In Grand Slam and ATP tour you don't represent your country. It's your name written on the scoreboard, not your country.

Australian audience is very multi-cultural. They would cheer Dutch players, Estonian players, Russian players, Japanese players, Thai players, British players, etc etc.

15_ounce
12-20-2011, 12:33 AM
I've just watched ABC News QLD Australia. Tomic was being interviewed while playing a little bit of rugby with the Gold Coast Titan at the SKILLED stadium in Robina.

Tomic said in relation to his hooning case with the police:

"...you know I was just doing my job as a tennis player.. having fun.... "

:mrgreen: my instant reaction was: "at last.. he's confessed he was hooning"

================================================== ===============

NEWS UPDATE

Tomic investigation 'far from over'
Henry Tuttiett and Robyn Wuth | December 21st, 2011

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/gallery/remote/2011/12/20/1249191.jpg
Gold Coast tennis ace Bernard Tomic swaps his racquet for a footy for a day to train with the Gold Coast Titans. December 20, 2011.

RISING Gold Coast tennis star Bernard Tomic may be stripped of his driver's licence by police, despite the teenage ace insisting he is not the sport's newest bad boy.

The P-plater has been under investigation for a string of dangerous-driving complaints involving Tomic's distinctive, bright-orange BMW M3.

P-platers are banned from high-performance vehicles, but the tennis star was granted a special exemption by Queensland Transport to drive the luxury V8 to and from his tennis training.

Police sources said the investigation into Tomic was "far from over" and officers were poised to breach Tomic over dangerous-driving complaints.

Police said they had "more than enough evidence" to do so.

If police proceed -- given the number of complaints -- a source said the P-plater could lose his licence.

Yesterday, Tomic was in the media spotlight during a special appearance at Titans' training.

Tomic denied suggestions he was the sport's new "bad boy", shrugging off comparisons to troubled former tennis star Mark Philippoussis.

"Everyone gets misunderstood at times. The wrong things come out but it is always important to come out the right way and say the right things," he said.

Tomic said the driving complaints were behind him.

MonfilsMadness
12-20-2011, 01:46 AM
I've just watched ABC News QLD Australia. Tomic was being interviewed while playing a little bit of rugby with the Gold Coast Titan at the SKILLED stadium in Robina.

Tomic said in relation to his hooning case with the police:

"...you know I was just doing my job as a tennis player.. having fun.... "

:mrgreen: my instant reaction was: "at last.. he's confessed he was hooning"

No wonder Tomic didn't take up the offer by a senior police officer to lodge a formal complaint.
That would have been rather embarrassing and could also have landed him in trouble.
Poor Bernard, don't these people know how important he is?

15_ounce
12-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Anti-hoon Crichlow goes soft on Tomic
Robyn Wuth | December 24th, 2011

PASSIONATE anti-hoon campaigner Dawn Crichlow was the driving force behind the licence exemption for P-plate tennis ace Bernard Tomic that allows him to drive a V8.

The outspoken Southport councillor yesterday admitted she was listed as a referee in the tennis ace's application for the exemption -- and she would do it again.

"He's a good boy," Cr Crichlow said.

"I don't believe he's a hoon.

"Boys like fast cars and he has to have that killer instinct."

Tomic is being investigated for a string of dangerous-driving complaints involving his distinctive, bright-orange BMW M3.

Under Queensland law, P-platers are banned from high-performance vehicles but the tennis star was granted a special exemption by Queensland Transport to drive the luxury V8 to and from tennis training.

Police sources said the investigation into Tomic was `far from over' and they had `more than enough evidence' to continue the investigation.

The tennis ace could lose his licence and police would then be able to appeal against the exemptions that are in place.

Cr Crichlow admitted Tomic had `made a mistake'.

"But I think he's learned his lesson,'' she said.

"He is such a good boy. He gets up early to go running, then he goes to training and to the gym."

Cr Crichlow's defence has raised eyebrows given she has worked closely with police to crack down on hoons across the Gold Coast -- particularly in Southport.

The anti-hoon campaigner even sent out a blunt warning that she would mount her own night patrols to keep hoons out of the Broadwater carpark.

"My message to the hoons is that I will be at the carpark with a fold-down chair and I'll stay all night if I have to," she said.

"This is a residential area and they've had five years too long already, upsetting the residents.

She has also called for a greater police presence to patrol the Pacific Motorway on weekends.

"The hoons come down here in their blockades, racing each other, selling drugs, and it's got to stop," she said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/12/24/376621_gold-coast-news.html

================================================== ========================

Definitely stupid politician making stupid decision. She should be sacked.

That news article should've said :

"Cr Crichlow admitted Tomic and herself had `made a mistake'. "But I think we've learned our lesson,'' she said.