PDA

View Full Version : Toughest sport?

Kevin Patrick
04-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Thought this was interesting, tennis scored higher than I thought it would.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Redferrari350
04-29-2004, 10:00 AM
That's impressive. But, fishing? sports??

Kobble
04-29-2004, 10:03 AM
I completely disagree with boxing being the toughest sport. Gymnastics requires much more strength and endurance to get through those routines. The olympic committee has said for years that gymnasts are the best athletes at the games. I would bet my life that a gymnast could learn boxing in 1/20th the time it would take a boxer to learn gymnastics. It must be some boxing propaganda, because I have seen much better athletes in wrestling than boxing. However, tennis does take a lot of work to master, and it should rank high.

@wright
04-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Haha Golf, got ranked 51. Whether it's a sport at all is debatable.

Kevin Patrick
04-29-2004, 10:09 AM
There's an online chat right now with the writers at Page 2. I'm trying to steer the conversation towards tennis without much success.

http://msn.espn.go.com/

Click on the "The Show" if you're interested in participating.

Kevin T
04-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Of course boxing is the toughest. That's a no brainer. Grab a friend and go box 4 rounds and see how you feel. Pro bouts are usually scheduled for 10-15 rounds. Constant motion using every muscle in your body while taking a pounding from your opponent. I'd like to see an elite gymnast pick up boxing. I'll bet the house and the bank account on that match.

NoBadMojo
04-29-2004, 10:40 AM
i agree w. this ranking altho i think you could build a case for ice hockey as #1 and boxing as #2. i mean, you are on ice on top of big huge razor blades, wielding a very large stick and traveling at a high rate of speed..you trap a pass in a skate and it flattens out immediately as you smoke a huge slapshot all the while being mindful that some big fast strong dude is trying to take your head off..talk about multitsking? ;) ed

atatu
04-29-2004, 11:01 AM
What was the line in "Youngblood" ? something like hockey is the only sport where average sized white guys still rule ?

ProStaffTour90
04-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Haha Golf, got ranked 51. Whether it's a sport at all is debatable.

Oh come on, Billairds and Snooker is debatable but not Golf!

Jees, i feel like i've played about 5 sets after a round of golf!

Dedans Penthouse
04-29-2004, 11:34 AM
kobble, to echo kevin t's sentiments..... and to give you just a somewhat tip of the iceberg view of boxing: First, cue up a song that you LOVE that is apprx. 3 minutes long on your CD player ("psyche" music). Then get a hold of a pair of 1 pound weights in your hand, i.e. as if you were wearing a pair of 16 oz. gloves (no weights? a "food item" can weight that weighs that much will suffice). Now, start the music and "dance" around an imaginary ring of 21' x 21' (i.e. shuffle, circle to the left, shuffle--left-right-left-right--move! move! move! etc.) while holding AND KEEPING your hands up as a boxer would for the full 3 minutes. You don't have to throw a single punch---but at the same time, you have to play it straight---you can't "take a 1 second break" .... play out the round as if you have a person in front of you looking to take your head off ---hold those hands up for those 3 minutes!!

As soon as 3 minutes is up, have the music cued up again, and within 60 seconds of ending the 1st round, "get back on your horse" and repeat the same procedure--again, you don't have to throw a single punch, just hold those mitts up!

Seriously, try it--your guns will be screaming for mercy. And we haven't even gotten to the "good stuff" ...... throwing and receiving....

Mention hasn't even been made of the toll that throwing hundreds of punches takes on your body (and spirit) endurance-wise and strengthregarding your endurance, your strength, etc., OR the even more exhausing toll from throwing punches that miss your target. As Vince Lombardi said: "fatigue makes cowards of us all." And on the other side of the coin, you might want to also take into account, the countless number of times you get hammered in the ribs (half the time, the cumulative effect of those body shots aren't apparent to a TV viewer). Then there's that freight train that's still roaring through your head....your head.....your head from that bomb of a left hook 4 rounds ago that you didn't even see, or the fact that you're not sure whether or not you've broken your right hand---try surviving (and keeping your wits about you) while trying NOT to let the world know about your "little secret" ..... that you are injured.

Don't let some ESPN dog of a boxing match "featuring" a pair of fat (looking for a payday) over-the-hill ham & eggers plodding along at half-speed serve as a pure example of the mental and physical demands that come with boxing. A lot of times TOP RANK Productions ain't "top shelf." Gymnastics is outrageously demanding sport--granted. Who can hold an "Iron/Olympic Cross" on the rings? And further, the thought of Justin Gimmleslob on the balance beam puts a smile on my face as I type this. And to take it a step further, when I think of the hometown pressure that had Franz Klammer "pushing the envelope" in Kutzbuhel, Austria, I think alpine skiing at that level should've been ranked higher, and that the late Peter Revson's performances during the "Superstars" competition might've suggested that there was more athleticism involved when siting in that cockpit then nerve alone. (is that enough of a run-on sentence for ya?)

Check out a guy like Bernard Hopkins. Pretty complete package imho.

@wright
04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Anything you can do with a cigarette in your mouth, isn't a sport.

BreakPoint
04-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised that Water Polo didn't score even higher. That's one tough endurance sport! You need to tread water and sprint swim for hours! How about Auto Racing? I'd thought that would definitely score higher than #32. Talk about intense concentration 100% of the time and mental fatigue, not to mention that you could die or be crippled at any moment.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Cheerleading almost tied with Golf. I've always considered Golf to be more of a game, like Bowling, rather than a sport!

matchpoints
04-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Anything you can do with a cigarette in your mouth, isn't a sport. :mrgreen:

Ballmachine
04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Boxing is definitely number 1. Don't believe it? Just try shadow boxing for 1 minute. It's much harder than you ever imagined.

I do have a problem with the endurance category because the sports listed above tennis, excluding wrestling and martial arts, are team sports. Tennis is one on one. You don't get a break and then have a substitution. You are on your own, whether you are on your game or not, whether you are tired or not, or whether you are injured or not. I'm not sure the "experts" took those factors into account.

Also, we all know how important speed is in tennis. Just look at Coria, Hewitt, and Chang in his day. Those are the obvious choices. People often underestimate how fast Sampras, Graf, and every other great champion was in their day. That is the one thing that all great tennis players have had in common over the years, speed. Bottom line is, if you can't get to the ball in tennis, you can't do much. The same goes for boxing, where the man with the faster hands usually gets off first and controls the fight. Just ask Muhammad Ali's opponents before he was banned from the sport after not enlisting in the army. Ali was and is the quickest heavyweight the sport has ever known. That devastating speed, not his punching power, is what made him the "greatest of all time."

Feņa14
04-29-2004, 12:25 PM
It's not all about physical!

Golf is all about the mental game and how you handle yourself.

Also Snooker you have to have major mental strength, the World Championships that are on a the moment the semi-finals last 3 days!

I like lots of sports, it just happens that tennis is my favourite :wink:

Liam

perfmode
04-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Boxing takes a lot more endurance than you think. Boxers are ripped but still have to have amazing flexibility and agility.

MARK ANDERS
04-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Cmon, this poll has no credibility. MOTOCROSS wasn't even listed and it should be in the top five along with alpine ski racing. Athletes that compete in the top levels of these 2 sports are extremely skilled and posess incredible fitness and endurance. In the case of downhill ski racers, try holding a tuck going 70-80 mph for 3 min. or so while having to make tight turns to avoid becoming tree bark!

perfmode
04-29-2004, 12:52 PM
alpine skiing was on there. it came 1st in one of the categories.

Free_Martha
04-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I completely disagree with boxing being the toughest sport. Gymnastics requires much more strength and endurance to get through those routines. The olympic committee has said for years that gymnasts are the best athletes at the games. I would bet my life that a gymnast could learn boxing in 1/20th the time it would take a boxer to learn gymnastics. It must be some boxing propaganda, because I have seen much better athletes in wrestling than boxing. However, tennis does take a lot of work to master, and it should rank high.

I agree 100%.

Tennis is much tougher sport than most spectators realize. You try running a ball down in 90 degree heat on the hardcourts and see how long YOU last. ;)

And Golf? Biggest joke of a "sport" ever. Tiger Woods wouldn't last two seconds against Justine Henin-Hardenne on the court. :)

And I've always had the greatest admiration for gymnasts. They can do things with their bodies no mere human could ever dream of doing and it takes years and years of practice to perfect. Those girls on the balance beam? The guys on the pommel horse? HOW do they do it? I'm always awed by them.

irishbanger
04-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Anything you can do drunk isn't a sport. That knocks out golf and NASCAR.

AndyC
04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Another useless list that appears biased towards American sports.. I wonder why..

".. a group made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of journalists who spend their professional lives watching athletes succeed and fail."

No doubt those are AMERICAN journalists as well :).

nyu
04-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Somebody took a shot at cheerleading, and I figure I'll issue a response. Cheerleading should have been much higher on the list. I'm not talking about the media driven stereotype of high school girls waving poms and yelling, but rather the hardcore and competition driven upper echelons of college cheerleading.

First off, the girls are buff. They're required to not only tumble(think floor exercises for gymnasts), but they're also must posses the strength to at times hold up other girls on top of them in complex pyramids. Not to mention the balance neccesary to not fall. As for danger, balance yourself on top of two small, fairly unsteady hands while 8 feet in the air,knowing that if you fall, only your partner can keep you from possibly paralyzing yourself(thank god I've never witnessed this, but I have seen countless broken bones.) They also are thrown up to 20 feet high, proceed to do sommersaults(sp?) in mid air, and must trust that their bases will catch them. They must do all of this physical work while trying to look confident and aesthetically pleasing.

As for male college cheerleaders, they have their work cut out for them as well. They must be able to throw a girl up and catch them on their hands...we're talking 95-115 pounds. They must then extend the girl, so that they're basically doing a military press with a living being. This is the point when most guys say "but hey, they get to look up the girl's skirt. Truth is, if you lose focus for a few seconds, the girl is gonna fall. Also, the guy gets to catch the girl. This is once again 95-115 pounds of dead weight that if not caught correctly, will kick you, land on your head, elbow you, knee you, etc. The guys are often required to tumble as well.

I'm not suggesting that cheerleading is the toughest sport out there, but it is no cakewalk, and definitely deserves to be heads and tails above gold in athleticism.

MARK ANDERS
04-29-2004, 02:29 PM
perfmode, I know alpine skiing was listed, I meant that Motox wasn't listed and that alpine skiing should be top 5 overall not in one category.

pound cat
04-29-2004, 02:30 PM
OED definition of sport..
sport
n. & v. n. 1. a a game or competitive activity, esp. an outdoor one involving physical exertion, e.g. cricket, football, racing, hunting.

Tennis as a singular acrivity is, in calories burned and water lost the most physically exhauting sport played at a professional level.

Ronaldo
04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Cannot believe curling and lacrosse scored so low. Maybe if they played lacrosse on ice with skates, or kicked a ball on grass, nah. Lacrosse should be #1

David I.
04-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Many years ago I remember a study done on pro athletes to determine which sports had the fittest athletes. They measured cardio-vascular, body fat, endurance etc. Motocross racers came 1st and basketball 2nd. Tennis was up there. Motocross is very demanding because you have 45 minutes of continuous activity plus the danger factor.

Anonymous
04-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Curling is SUCH a tough sport! Wow, when I played once I felt like I had just played against Andre Agassi on rebound ace. (Sorry for the sacrcasim)

Kobble
04-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Kevin, it would be obvious that the boxer would beat the gymnast in boxing. What I am saying is that boxers would not be nearly as successful at gymnastics as a gymnast would be at boxing. Also, where do they get their numerical ranking for strength and other categories? How can someone give a numerical ranking to the decimal point for a category like nerve? Where do they get their measurements from? If they used bodyweight exercises as a guide for strength, then gymnasts would win hands down. It doesn't seem credible, in my opinion. By the way, I did try some boxing at a local recreation center when I was in high school, and it was a very physical activity. I have tried both boxing and gymnastics, and for me it was easier going toe to toe with my 200lbs. buddy than it was to try to hold an iron cross. I know a lot of strong people who are competitive in martial arts, and many other sports that require complete control of your body, but none of them can even get a routine started on a horizontal bar etc. I think boxing is one of the most difficult sports to compete in, but having seen the training of wrestlers, gymnasts, and martial artists I do not think it is at the very top.

perfmode
04-29-2004, 04:10 PM
It was a survey! They asked people on a scale of 1-10 what they thought.

Vanja Ljubibratic
04-29-2004, 04:25 PM
WHAT CRAP!!!!!!!!
Nordic skiing and rowing(skulls) are much harder at the professional level than stupid football!!! My dad was the Yugoslavian national champion for double skulls, and when I heard about his work out regime, it was totally mind-blowing. I doubt football players do such hard exercises.
How the hell does figure skating rank above these two sports?? This poll was obviously done just within the U.S. If this were an international survey, then things would be put in a little better perspective, i.e. not being total bull.
Although I do agree that tennis is one of the harder sports when given such a wide range of activities.

Audiodude
04-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Boxing is extremely tiring for one other reason. The constant flow of adrenaline that comes with trying to protect yourself is absolutely exhausting. I never boxed, but I did practice Tae Kwon Do for a decade, or so. I run 4 to 6 miles several times a week and play singles for 2 to 3 hours several times a week. Neither of those compares to sparring for 3 two minute rounds. It absolutely sucks the wind out of you. The only thing I can compare it to is doing squats. If you get a chance, watch the thriller in Manilla. Pete would've been puking in the flowerbox after one round.

jun
04-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Every sports requires different skill. It's like comparing apples and oranges and which tastes better and looks better. Golf probably demands least endurance, but it takes hell of a long time to master the stroke. Just learning the stroke wise alone will be more difficult than a lot of sports.

On the other hand, it would probablt take less time to learn to box than learn to golf, play tennis or etc. Also, some sports require tremendous independence and mental toughness, like in tennis or golf. In soccer or basketball, you are able to depend on your teammates....

But look at training, training in boxing is ridiculous. You constantly have to watch your weight, train like crazy. Forgo sex for several days before the match. I would think physical demand is the greatest and most difficult for boxing. 12~16 oz gloves on the hands (some of us have trouble swinging 12oz stick after 2 sets of play), contantly moving your feet (more than if not as much as in "PRO" tennis). You throw punches, and you get hammered as well.

Matt Riordan
04-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Did I miss it or is squash not on the list?

Now I've played squash and tennis for over 15 years and am good at both. 45 mins of competition squash is equivalent to three hours on a tennis court and that's even though squash is played indoors and not subject to the heat. It's an individual sport and therefore just as harsh as tennis with nowhere near the same prizemoney... And when you get hit by a squash ball - it HURTS!

:)

perfmode
04-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Sure, you can easily learn how to box. The hard part is getting in shape and training to be a boxer. You can't even compare golf to boxing. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. My grandfather plays golf well but if he tried to box he'd prolly get knocked the f*** out.

perfmode
04-29-2004, 07:02 PM
Listen, there is now way in hell you can compare golf and snooker to boxing. Look at the categories. You tell me which sports would score higher..

ENDURANCE

STRENGTH

POWER

SPEED

AGILITY

FLEXIBILITY

NERVES

DURABILITY

HAND-EYE COORDINATION

ANALYTIC APTITUDE

Golf only requires a little hand-eye, flexibility, power and strength. Snooker? Are you kidding? Have you heard about what boxers go through to maintain their strength when dropping weight? Roy Jones Jr. is probably the fittest athlete on the damn planet when he's training for a fight. Those guys train 16 hours a day, sleep on a hard-a** bed in the gym, wake up, box, lift weights, jump rope, run, train and all kinds of stuff. What do golfers know about running until you puke and then running some more?

jackcrawford
04-29-2004, 08:37 PM
If boxing is such a tough workout, how come a fat 45 year-old slob like George Foreman can win the heavyweight championship? It tests only two things, your ability to hit hard and your ability to resist being knocked out - clumsy clowns like George Chuvalo were effective boxers,

Deuce
04-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Any such ranking which doesn't include Ballroom Dancing is of no value whatsoever.

Aus Mosis
04-29-2004, 09:59 PM
OMG!!!!!
I can not believe you JOKERS who don't think that boxing is the toughest sport, HAVE U EVEN DONE IT? Yeh, everything looks easy on TV doesnt it! Ill give you an example, an extremley fit 23 years old national triathlon champion came to my local gym the about 6 months ago, as a promotional they asked him to do 4, one minute rounds of sparring. As the bell sounded in the fouth round, he could not get up, hadto get carried out by two spectators, and that was just 3 minutes of sparring! Imagine doing that for a good half hour, and having people hit you back at a tremendous rate. IMO the most physically and mentally tough sport in the world, BAR NONE! I am infuriated with people who don't rate boxing, it is incredible there ignorance and stupidity. Oh btw, i would have thought a sport like rugby would fair much higher than tennis, and i say this with no bias, because I play both sports at quite a high level, and also rugby to fair MUCH MUCH higher than Gridiron, I believe Gridiron is a rugby jr, and should only be played for little kids so they can have a nice rest after every play, and touch the ball once in a WHOLE SEASON!

jun
04-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Golf and boxing requires different things. You can easily compare those things. Golf probably takes a little more eye and hand coordination than boxing. Boxing is a lot more physically demanding.

Boxing is not just about throwing punches and resisting being knocked down. In fact, even those things require great effort, preprating. Heavyweight is a little different. Because just 1~3 punches can determine the outcomes. But in lower weights, they are constantly on their toe, shuffling, daning around. Throwing punches, and getting punches. You also have to be so focused and aware of what the other person is doing....

It's nowhere close to "EASY"

Matt Riordan
04-30-2004, 01:43 AM
I have never boxed but I have sparred - it is EXHAUSTING. There's just no let-up. It has to be to do with the amount of adrenalin pumping as you're survival instincts kick in. For those who haven't even tried sparring, you really should and you will have a whole new perspective.

I also used to think that racing drivers were wimps for appearing exhausted after F1 races. That was until I went go-karting on a pro track - piddly little go-kart maxing at 80MPH - two hourse of that non-stop and I tell you you're ready to roll into your grave... ceaseless vibration, the petrol fumes, the hayfever as all that country air rushes into your eyse, plus the absolute agony of your arms being constantly taut on the wheel and your back turning into one big bruise after being knocked side to side in the seat - PLUS all the other driving shunting and crashing into you!!!

ucd_ace
04-30-2004, 02:02 AM
Tennis really lost ground in the nerve category, but I'm not one to argue with it; boxers, football players, and hockey players take some hard knocks... but then again, who thinks that a football player could sit there while A-Rod blasts 140mph serves at him with out having nerves become a factor.

perfmode
04-30-2004, 02:38 AM
If boxing is such a tough workout, how come a fat 45 year-old slob like George Foreman can win the heavyweight championship? It tests only two things, your ability to hit hard and your ability to resist being knocked out - clumsy clowns like George Chuvalo were effective boxers,

It's because George Foreman still has forearms the size of your biceps and triceps.

Ronaldo
04-30-2004, 03:30 AM
Ma, not to brush you off but you must put the stone on the button to appreciate the curl.

topspin
04-30-2004, 03:50 AM
The toughest sports are swimming and cross country skiing. Badminton is the most tiring racquet sport. Soccer is also up there too.

Rabbit
04-30-2004, 04:17 AM
I would bet my life that a gymnast could learn boxing in 1/20th the time it would take a boxer to learn gymnastics.

You might want to hedge your bet.

The real question here is: Would you rather step into the ring with a boxer or a gymnast? Don't discount the knowledge that it takes to be a boxer. Boxing takes a great amount of skill, training, and learning. Just because boxers don't do splits and tumbling doesn't mean that the sport requires no skill. It does.

As someone who boxed regularly in high school, I can say that I completely agree with this assessment. Boxers have the stamina of a marathon runner, the strength of a weight lifter, take the punishment of a football, soccer, or hockey player, and need great quickness and hand eye coordination. (I should also note that I possessed none of these skills.) My dad boxed in the Navy (Welterweight Champ of Pearl Harbor) and he passed a few ehhh skills on to me; some through demonstration. :) For those of you who have boxed, think back to how just 3 rounds made you feel. The only advantage I had as a boxer was the main advantage I have as a tennis player, lefties are hard to figure out in the squared ring.

Tennis is an easy game to play, but a really hard game to play right or at a high level.

Kevin T
04-30-2004, 05:15 AM
I absolutely agree with you, Rabbit. I think boxing is on another plane. We can argue about 2-50 but for me, there is no argument concerning boxing. It is a difficult sport to master. Top pros train 10 hours per day, 6 days per week. They have the complete package. And they have to deal with Don King for goodness sake!!!! I also heartily agree with the comments regarding squash. 45 minutes of squash is equivalent to 3 hours of tennis. When I play for an hour or an hour and a half, I am pretty much useless the next day.

Jack Crawford mentioned "how can a 45 year old slob become champion?". I don't know. How can twenty-something, fat, out of shape women win Grand Slam titles?

Rocky Top
04-30-2004, 06:10 AM
WHAT CRAP!!!!!!!!
Nordic skiing and rowing(skulls) are much harder at the professional level than stupid football!!! My dad was the Yugoslavian national champion for double skulls, and when I heard about his work out regime, it was totally mind-blowing. I doubt football players do such hard exercises.

Sorry, but I have to call you on this one. I played Division I tennis for a team ranked around 40-45 in the mid 90s. We played against top5 teams on several occasions, and I had the pleasure of getting my rear handed to me by several guys who wound up in the ATP top 400. Fantastic athletes all, definitely several levels above me.

Then, I attended graduate school at the University of Tennessee. My first year there was Peyton Manning's last year, and the next year they won the national title with Tee Martin at the helm. I worked in the athletic department for a time and saw these guys train. I even played against some of them in the intermural 3-3 basketball tournament. People, the level of athleticism - speed, power, agility, conditionining - is not even close. These guys were far more impressive than any tennis player I ever encountered.

Yes, the top 50-100 guys on the ATP Tour are better athletes than anyone I ever played aginast. Seriously though, people, there are at least a thousand guys playing corner, safety, WR, or tailback in DI or professional football who equal or surpass any tennis payer on the planet in raw athletic ability.

I don't mean to dog tennis - I love this game. However, I do think sometimes tennis players need a little reality check. Lleyton Hewitt is fast, but line him up in the 40 against any cornerback drafted last weekend and I promise you he gets his doors blown off.

irishbanger
04-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Seems everyone has a personal axe to grind here . . . my grandad was the curling champion . . . I once ran in a marathon . . . etc., etc. Take it for what it is---a list involving several different criteria. Quit crying that your cheerleading squad isn't up to par with the football players.

Brian10s
04-30-2004, 07:07 AM
This is a fascinating discussion, and I have enjoyed reading all of the posts. At the end of the day, we are probably just going to have to agree to disagree. I think it is important to recognize that there are 10 different categories used to determine a sports' degree of difficulty. While it may appear that more athletically-gifted athletes play other sports, do not discount the amount of hand-eye coordination, fitness, speed, and power (in the legs especially) it takes to play championship-calibre level tennis. And then, factor in the mental side in that a tennis-player is an island out there in singles with no teammates to bail you out or coaches to snap you back in line when things go badly.

I submit that while those incredible football wide-receivers, cornerbacks, line-backers, etc. look impressive in all that they can do physically, I wonder if they could really harness that physical ability and execute tennis in a championship-calibre fashion. Anyway, I don't know where tennis stands when determining the most difficult sports, but I am glad it is at least in some discussions.

Dedans Penthouse
04-30-2004, 07:18 AM
kevin t: I've seen Rabbit in the ring. This guy makes Scott LeDoux and Andrew Golatta look like choirboys.....you'd even see more elbows coming at your face than if you were eating a platter of maccaroni and cheese (lame joke). Just remember (southpaw that he is), ya gotta stay "outside" his front foot (circle to the right).....

Rabbit: I asked Queen Larry what her favorite sport was and her Precious Majesty gushed and squealed that it was heavyweight boxing. I asked her why boxing, and she said because (in her words), it involves two big, grown men in satin shorts, fighting over a belt. And, it also involves a purse. They both do it in gloves---the Queen said: "It's the 'accessory' connection that I love!"

Question: Why'd Mike Tyson bite off Evander Holifield's ear??
A couple of answers:

1. Because Evander said "Bite Me!"
2. Like this doesn't happen every year at the Masters?
3. You never heard of a little thing called "stategy?"
4. Because "Disqualified" sounds better than "Got His *** Kicked
All Over the Ring!"

Question: Why'd Mike Tyson spit out Evander Holifield's ear??
Answer: It was too salty.

"In boxing, if you make a mistake it ain't fifteen-love......it's yer ***." ---- Tex Cobb

guernica1
04-30-2004, 08:29 AM
I know this is not a main stream sport but Muay Thai, similar to boxing could arguably be even more exhausting than Western Boxing.

I've read accounts of excellent athletes who have trained in Muay Thai, one even went to Thailand and the training just to get into the ring is unbelievably grueling not to mention painful.

Adding the various kicks and knee punches creates a whole different strategic emphasis and speed factor.

Psychologically in both boxing and muay thai, or other martial arts, intimidation and self confidence are huge factors maybe moreso than any other sport.

NoBadMojo
04-30-2004, 08:42 AM
agree w. guernica1 re the 'kick boxing'. it's all the elements of boxing plus the addition of having to be able to use your feet and you have to have better defense. so i would go kick boxing, then hockey, then reg boxing assuming difficulty means using the most motor skills simulataneously coupled w. strength, quickness, and stamina. i think the case you can build for hockey over boxing and football is that you play so many games in a season..your body gets abused day after day as it does w. tennis. football you gear up for a game a week in season and high level boxing you gear up for what? a match a year? ed

Verbal_Kint
04-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Sean, welcome back :D

Marnix

baselined
04-30-2004, 09:28 AM
That list is bogus.

In 2003, Motocross was ranked as the #1 most physically demanding sport. #2 was soccer. Motocross didn't even make this list so the list to me is null.

Kobble
04-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Good post on Muay Thai. I completely forgot about that, and the workouts are insane. I once read a book that said the fighters in some training arenas will punch an iron plate huindreds of times to make their fists tuffer. Shootfighting is another very difficult sport, but so are all fighting sports for that matter.

Rabbit
04-30-2004, 10:45 AM
O'Rourke - hold it just a minute. I never threw an elbow! That was too obvious. No, my boy, the thumb in the eye is a much better tactic and much easier to claim as an accident. :evil:

Outside my front foot? Circle to the right? You devil you. Don't be telling everyone how to whup a southpaw, we were born this way for a reason. I do remember one guy I engaged in the sweet science. I led with my right and he actually smiled at me as if to say "You're mine." Seems he'd never seen a left-handed boxer before. I hit him so hard that it actually hurt my left arm well into the next day. That memory will never leave me. I kinda felt sorry for him afterward, I'd never actually knocked someone out before. He bobbed when he should have weaved and bobbed right into a left hook.

Let me join Marnix in a chorus of "Welcome back....your dreams were your ticket out...."

borisboris
04-30-2004, 11:22 AM
:lol: I've fortunately - unfortunately have played-participated in almost all the top 10. Wrestling = 3 rounds of brute stregnth-quickness-ultra quick mental reaction. Boxing is obviously difficult. Tennis = 7 yeah I'd agree a long 3 setter on a 90 degree day would be up there. Water Polo is non - stop energy but not alot of mental because of how many participants. Water skiing=slalom is very demanding of your knees/thighs/bicepts, going 34 mph then pulling around a bouy excellorating to 70 +mph across a wake is pretty intense on the body.

Kevin T
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Rabbit, I thought for sure your sneaky shot would be the "rabbit" punch!! Da..Da..ching!! Get it!!?? Seriously, folks, I'll be here all week. 8) :D :lol:

Dedans Penthouse
04-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Dag Marnix, dank je! Howdy Rabbit and thank you as well. (so'r sheepishly creeping back/shufflin' with "hat in hand")

Actually, golf CAN be a tough sport:

For instance, there were these 2 guys trying to get in a quick 18 holes. Unfortunately, there were these 2 woman beginners playing so-o-o slowly in front of them. So the 1st golfer said to his partner "Do me a favor, go ahead and ask them if we can play through." His partner jogged halfway towards the woman then suddenly turned around and scampered back.

The first golfer said: "What's wrong?" His partner replied: "That's my wife and my mistress playing!! I can't be seen in the company of both of them together!" His friend replied: "Yeah, I can see where that would cause problems....no sweat, I'LL go ask 'em." So the 1st golfer went off, but halfway to reaching the woman, he too abruptly turned and walked back. His friend waiting for him said: "What's wrong?" ...... and the 1st friend shook his head and said: "Can you believe it? ..... Small world...."

Feņa14
05-01-2004, 03:55 AM
LMAO Sean,

Thats a Classic!

Rabbit
05-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Kevin - shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

O'Rourke - :lol:

kevhen
05-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Basketball should be above football. Football is about speed and strength while basketball requires more skills and stamina from every position and also requires alot of speed and strength and jumping ability as well.

Soccer should be higher than baseball. Most of a baseball game is spent standing around or sitting in the dugout. Soccer is non-stop running and requires alot of skills as well. Some baseball pitchers are fat and overweight. You never see overweight soccer players.

Martial Arts is in top 5. Motocross would be demanding too and should have been listed.

Hockey would be #1 if players weren't allowed line changes. Boxers are out there for 2 minutes with one minute breaks. Hockey players are out there for 1 minute with 2-3 minute breaks.

Chess and Cheerleading might be tougher than golf, but golf does take some skills and nerves. Now frisbee golf, where is that on the list? Also wallyball is tougher than volleyball. Volleyball should be lower since it isn't very aerobic.

Interesting list though as I have played quite a few of those sports on the list and think it's fairly accurate.