PDA

View Full Version : Library lost my library book AGAIN!

Roy125
12-15-2011, 07:21 PM
My public library, who has lost a dvd that I know I returned, now wants to charge me for the lost item, full price. I know that I turned it in because I had to walk a lot to get to the library. This is the second time the same library has lost one their items and blamed it on me. With my sister and I, this is the fourth time the same library has charged us for something we did not do.

I've already asked two librarians in that library to try to find the dvd, but they haven't succeeded yet. The library will start adding to the price of the dvd after saturday.

Two people have already tried searching for the book and have failed. I have no money to pay the $70 fine because I'm preparing to go to college. What are some ways to avoid the fine?

Mick
12-15-2011, 07:41 PM
that's tough. where i live, the libraries have check in terminals for the people to check in their stuff and i would always use them because i fear of getting into the situation you are in.

scotus
12-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Do not put your books/discs in the return bin.

Hand it over to the clerk and insist on a receipt. If clerk says no, explains what has happened in the past.

angharad
12-16-2011, 05:02 AM
Do not put your books/discs in the return bin.

Hand it over to the clerk and insist on a receipt. If clerk says no, explains what has happened in the past.

Doesn't always work. The check-in clerk at my library only checks in about half my books when I return them, and my library doesn't offer receipts. I have to check a day or two later that all my books were actually checked in.

OP: Try talking to the library and seeing if you can figure something out about the fine/replacement fee. It might be a lot cheaper for you to purchase a copy of the DVD and hand it to them. Also make sure they know that this has been a consistent problem.

ollinger
12-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Four times now for you and your sister? Hmmm. Unless you're aware of other people in the community who've had this problem alot, the odds very strongly suggest it's something the two of you are doing wrong. Pay the fine or go to small claims court.

Fearsome Forehand
12-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Only a matter of time before Bookman (the Library Cop) comes knocking at your door. :)

ollinger
12-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Could be alot worse. The only notable computer glitch I read about 12 years ago when the "Y2K bug" panic was on concerned a Buffalo library that sent a guy an overdue book fine of about $100,000, as the computer decided the book was a century overdue.

adamX012
12-16-2011, 09:52 AM
OP, try to get your place organized. Well, might be too late to argument with those librarians about your fines. Borrowing the money from parents or friends to pay it off soon. Feel good about yourself as a college freshmen with debt free. Best wishes...

r2473
12-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Only a matter of time before Bookman (the Library Cop) comes knocking at your door. :)

"Can't stand ya"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRXTFH061M

dennis10is
12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
The Hermaphrodite Illegal Mexican Muslims (HIMM) stole your books.

sureshs
12-16-2011, 02:02 PM
You will be caught 25 years later like Seinfeld was