PDA

View Full Version : Do you want the Rally for Relief to become a yearly AO tradition?

Standstill
12-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Because I sure do! It's one of my favorite tennis events of the year :)

Even when there's not a huge tragedy to support!

Golden
12-18-2011, 08:11 PM
It would be nice, but I think the whole point of those events was to fund a relief foundation. Seeing as there isn't one currently, it probably won't happen. But who knows?

Biscuitmcgriddleson
12-18-2011, 08:38 PM
I would like them to adopt it..... sort of like US Open has kid's day. I think it would be a great way to get free publicity and help debunk the belief that tennis is a snob sport. The key to that is showing the players as normal, affable people. Granted most tennis players are anything but normal.

1970CRBase
12-19-2011, 12:03 AM
a once in a while spontaneous let their hair down thing is fine. every year putting on the same act seems too forced and will look kinda awkward

westside
12-19-2011, 12:10 AM
To be honest, no. Doing so would mean a disaster has occured somewhere in the world, and we don't want that.

Though it was great fun to see the players having a lot of fun before the tournament started.

monfed
12-19-2011, 12:23 AM
With all due respect, who cares?

nadalwon2012
12-19-2011, 01:10 AM
To be honest, no. Doing so would mean a disaster has occured somewhere in the world, and we don't want that.

Though it was great fun to see the players having a lot of fun before the tournament started.

The disaster could have happened many months before the Rally for Relief, and the money could go toward that disaster. Or the money could be focused on a particular charity or divided among player's charities etc.

Hood_Man
12-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Kinda. It's for a good cause so money wise it would be great, but in terms of entertainment I think these things are a lot more fun when it's a last minute spontaneous thing. Hit for Haiti 2010 for instance was hilarious, with everyone basically standing on court going "wait, what are we doing?" and being silly.

Rally for Relief 2011 though felt really forced. It was a shame Fed for instance didn't come on until later on and un-mic'd, his goofy banter the year before was hilarious.

It's a bit like trying to recreate the magic of that wonderful first date, our that perfect christmas. It hardly ever works.

As long as it's not forced or too planned I think it's ok.

nadalwon2012
12-19-2011, 05:22 AM
To make it entertaining I think they just have to choose the right players to take part, the players with unique personalities. Agassi should always be a part of it, he made the Hit for Haiti work. Also they should include some other retired fan favorites that we haven't seen or a long time. And to find the right personalities the event would need plenty of preparation in order to contact them and get their support. Include the top 2 women and top 2 men, and the rest should be great entertainers like Agassi and Goran etc.