PDA

View Full Version : Guga vs. Nadal

Grinder
07-16-2005, 06:22 PM
This match should almost certainly happen if Guga can play a half decent match at Stuttgart, check out the top quarter of the draw.

(1) NADAL, Rafael ESP v BYE
KUERTEN, Gustavo BRA v QUALIFIER
ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP v VERDASCO, Fernando ESP
BYE v (14) ANDREEV, Igor RUS

I hope Guga won't get beat too badly, as I don't think he's match-fit enought to keep it close against Nadal.

Boy Wonder
07-16-2005, 06:33 PM
This match should almost certainly happen if Guga can play a half decent match at Stuttgart, check out the top quarter of the draw.

(1) NADAL, Rafael ESP v BYE
KUERTEN, Gustavo BRA v QUALIFIER
ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP v VERDASCO, Fernando ESP
BYE v (14) ANDREEV, Igor RUS

I hope Guga won't get beat too badly, as I don't think he's match-fit enought to keep it close against Nadal.

I hope he will not get beat too badly. Sidenote: This is also the first time Nadal and Guga will play, if this plays out. I'm sure Nadal wouldn't want to win like that, and tennis fans would love to see a Guga who will show glimpses of what brought him FO glory against Nadal. No matter how match-fit he is or lack of match-fitness, I think the guy's still dangerous and is not someone you're looking forward to playing. Andreev's another guy who Nadal has to redeem himself against, and Andreev is as tough as nails on clay. Gaudio will also probably do all he can to win that car.

gugafanatic
07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Nadal and Guga are very close friends, as both have contribued to Unicef to encourage the use of sports to promote education and help in developing countries. Guga himself regards Nadal very highly and believes the Spanish prodigy will overthrow him from the throne of Roland Garos in the modern era. Guga is currently playing on indoor clay in the Davis Cup and victories against lesser ranked opponents is what he requires to regain confidence. Fitness is no longer a major issue for Guga, as he has already been sucessful in playing 5 set matches both in practice and in Davis cup and believes the second hip suregry has helped him regain mobility and play pain-free. What people must realise, is that he was away from the game for 7 months and during the first few weeks back he was strengthening muscle around the hip joint and limiting on-court practice. Kuerten belives he can redsicover his best form and believes next yr, he can set himself serious goals (contending for titles).

If Guga can find some rhytham on his groundies and serve then it is possible the match can go to 3 sets. When playing in the zone Guga can still create some amazing angles and overpower Nadal with his serve. It will certainly be intresting as both have been hitting with each other frequently during the clay court season. If Guga is stuggling with rhytham, I hope the Spanish prodigy gives the trichampion some respect and reserves the bagel. Lets hope its a classic encounter.

Boy Wonder
07-16-2005, 07:07 PM
EDIT: That proves that Guga is not match-fit enough. Playing Davis Cup and not yet having to play matches against big names will not have Guga prepared to take on the reigning RG champ. I don't think you can base how Guga will perform against Nadal on the work Guga has done, but on results against players of Nadal's/high caliber. Grosjean and Roddick were also a set of good friends that met at Wimbledon this year, and many thought Roddick would sweep that one, but it went to five sets. Hopefully Rafa's potential match against Guga provides entertainment, but not to the point of making it as tight as the Roddick/Grosjean match.

gugafanatic
07-16-2005, 07:11 PM
I think you may have misinterpreted my post, what I meant to say was that Guga belives Nadal can win 3 or more FO titles.

Boy Wonder
07-16-2005, 07:13 PM
I think you may have misinterpreted my post, what I meant to say was that Guga belives Nadal can win 3 or more FO titles.

I responded to your post before you edited it. Now I see the reasons you edited your post. EDIT: Maybe I'll change my reply to your post as you have changed it.

gugafanatic
07-16-2005, 07:17 PM
sorry dude I did not look at your reply, as I was in the process of editing my post. By the time I finished editing I assumed no one would post. Vamos Rafa and Guga fans.

Boy Wonder
07-16-2005, 07:22 PM
sorry dude I did not look at your reply, as I was in the process of editing my post. By the time I finished editing I assumed no one would post. Vamos Rafa and Guga fans.

No worries, dude. You bring a lot to the table on these boards, and much more so than some people. Keep posting like you do, it's refreshing to read posts in the pro player board as insightful as yours.

BTW, check my edited reply to your original post :)

akj27
07-16-2005, 07:54 PM
holy crap, this has gotta be my most anticipated match of the year

VamosRafa
07-19-2005, 07:26 PM
**SPOILER**

It's a moot point, as Rafa will be playing Hugo Armando (from the USA!!!), who defeated Guga in straights, 6-4, 6-1, I believe. Guga apparently was nursing an injury; hence, the scoreline.

If Rafa wins, it will be his 100th career ATP victory, and his 30th straight on clay.

gugafanatic
07-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Kuerten: “Serving was very difficult for me today, I couldn’t serve the way I wanted to. In the beginning I was playing well for a little while but then it got worse and worse. But I will maintain my routine and hopefully it gets better next week when I play in Umag.

There was no mention of injury from Guga. However he needs more time to recover from his second hip surgery which kept him out for 7 months. Guga needs alot more matches, its a shame we missed out on a Nadal vs Guga showdown.

go_nadal
07-20-2005, 02:02 AM
go nadal!!!

slice bh compliment
07-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Good one...and, way to beat the ten character limit, go nadal!
Go, go nadal!

gonadal?
GONAD AL?

Kevin Patrick
07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Susan, what's Nadal's schedule for the summer? There are 2 more clay events left, is he playing those as well? It seems absurd that a player of his calibur is still playing on clay when the US Open is so soon.