PDA

View Full Version : When did you know that Nadal was going to lose the Wimbledon 2011 Final?

Mike Sams
12-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry, another Nadal/Djokovic thread but this is the last one I promise.:)

When were you convinced that Nadal was in over his head in the Wimbledon final? I thought at 4-4 in the first set, Nadal was looking solid, confident and comfortable on his serve and Djokovic looked alright but not deadly. After all, Nadal was the 2 time Wimbledon Champion and 2 time finalist prior. How can you bet against him with that resume against a guy who had never even made a Wimbledon Final? :)
So anyway, I kinda felt Djokovic managing to get the break and winning the first set 6-4 MIGHT have been a fluke and perhaps Nadal got a bit tight and lost focus. So hence I looked forward to the second set and felt Nadal would surely come out like a house on fire and get the early break and take the set.

But I knew after watching THIS (http://youtu.be/2Adg1-O3NE0?hd=1&t=2m28s) point that Nadal was in very serious trouble!:(

But I still felt Nadal would come back and gain the momentum and start smashing the balls even harder and stake his claim that he was the man on this surface!

But then after I saw THIS (http://youtu.be/2Adg1-O3NE0?hd=1&t=3m24s) point, I knew the set was over! There was little hope for Nadal on this day...:cry:

tusharlovesrafa
12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I thought he would be straight setted after seeing 1st two sets,but In the third set was I a bit surprised to see him win 6-1..I was praying "PLS GOD PLS" just somehow,but it was not to be.

I was feeling so "HOLLOW" from inside after watching 1st two sets that I felt something was going to explode in me.
Then in the 4rth set my cable went off so I had the follow the rest on my computer with sluggish stream..I looked and knew his time has come and my uncle told me that You better start following some one else as he is not good anymore,But "NO WAY" I Recoiled.!!

flyinghippos101
12-19-2011, 08:29 PM
What about when Nadal hit that fail tweener? That was easily the WTF shot of the match. Whatever happened to "all-business" Nadal during slam finals? If he's screwing around and hitting fail trick shots, then you know the end is coming and he's lost confidence... and concentration

Sentinel
12-19-2011, 08:32 PM
The moment I knew that it was gonna be a Joker Nadal final, I and most NAdal fans knew Nadal was gonna lose. Just go back to the threads of that time if you don't believe me.

My memory is not great, but i suspect the moment Fred lost to Jo, we knew Nole was winning the WO.

ps. was this a Tushy baiting thread :D

Clarky21
12-19-2011, 08:40 PM
As soon as he made the final I knew he would be lucky to even take a set,and had zero chance of winning.

kishnabe
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
When he lost his serve in the first set....he was dominating Djokovic till then!

tusharlovesrafa
12-19-2011, 08:46 PM
The moment I knew that it was gonna be a Joker Nadal final, I and most NAdal fans knew Nadal was gonna lose. Just go back to the threads of that time if you don't believe me.

My memory is not great, but i suspect the moment Fred lost to Jo, we knew Nole was winning the WO.

ps. was this a Tushy baiting thread :D

Damn,Senti..17,000 posts and still going strong.You are in your absolute peak.Baggeling And Breadsticking every posters posting rate..Mighty impressive!!
By the way, How;s the weather at your place?? it's very cold down in Lucknow..:)

drakulie
12-19-2011, 08:48 PM
The moment he started picking his back side less intensely, I knew it was over.

MichaelNadal
12-19-2011, 10:29 PM
When he got broken at the end of the first. For some reason, when he went to bat to start serving, I just KNEW he'd get broken like he had all the other times this year, sure enough, he got broken like clockwork and I knew that was it.

nadalwon2012
12-19-2011, 11:39 PM
When Nadal misses a tweener badly it is because he turns his head too early because he wants to see where the ball goes. Never even begin to turn your head until you complete the tweener stroke fully. I was pretty confident Nadal was going to win that final, until the 4th set. Nadal breadsticked Djokovic in the 3rd set and the 4th set was close for a while.

TheMusicLover
12-19-2011, 11:51 PM
As soon as became clear that Djokovic would be his opponent.
As sad as it is.

Sentinel
12-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Damn,Senti..17,000 posts and still going strong.You are in your absolute peak.Baggeling And Breadsticking every posters posting rate..Mighty impressive!!
By the way, How;s the weather at your place?? it's very cold down in Lucknow..:)
Fuhreezing here.
I have a light elegant style that keeps me fit throughout the year, thanks.

Sentinel
12-20-2011, 01:06 AM
When Nadal misses a tweener badly it is because he turns his head too early because he wants to see where the ball goes. Never even begin to turn your head until you complete the tweener stroke fully. I was pretty confident Nadal was going to win that final, until the 4th set. Nadal breadsticked Djokovic in the 3rd set and the 4th set was close for a while.
LOL, you don't lose a match due to a missed tweener, especially when you've almost never won a point on one before, or even got one in court before.

I admit I rarely watch a Nadal match, unless he's playing a decent player, or its a semi or final, but on the few occasions that he's attempted a tweener its either gone into the net, or into the parking lot.

Now that's even more surprising since acco to some Nadal fans, a tweener is the easiest shot and everyone in their club hits tweeners all day long, and yet Seņor Nadal can't, even if his life depended on it.

Anyway, from the tone of your post, you sound like a tennis expert, so I'll take your word that that was when Nadal lost the final.

ledwix
12-20-2011, 01:18 AM
The 30-15 service point after breaking in the beginning of the 2nd set, where he lets out that roar, is where I knew Nadal was going to lose. Rather than turning momentum into nerves like Murray did in the semi, Djoke turned it into even more energy. So at that point, you knew he wasn't going away and was going to be a vicious opponent until the end.

celoft
12-20-2011, 04:00 AM
When Tsonga beat Federer. Duh.

Sentinel
12-20-2011, 04:45 AM
When Tsonga beat Federer. Duh.
I knew it when he pulled out the injury card at AO that he would lose WO and USO.

You guys are sooo late.:twisted:

tusharlovesrafa
12-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Fuhreezing here.
I have a light elegant style that keeps me fit throughout the year, thanks.

Apparently your style isn't hard on your body but my Style wants me to rest and more importantly after september I go in Hibernation...

ark_28
12-20-2011, 05:37 AM
I feared straights sets after 1st 2 sets but after 3rd set had some hope of a comeback and then with the break points start of the 4th set, Once Rafa was broken in the 4th set I knew Novak was going to win.

Nathaniel_Near
12-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Was only pretty sure after Nole broke in set 4.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
12-20-2011, 06:38 AM
July 4th 2010. He never defends a non clay title :)

purge
12-20-2011, 06:44 AM
4-5 games into the first set

Crazy man
12-20-2011, 06:47 AM
When Nadal couldn't give Djokovic a match on clay, I knew Nadal had no chance against Djokovic on any other surface.

helloworld
12-20-2011, 07:29 AM
It's all over for Nadal once Tsonga defeated Federer. I knew Tsonga would play like crap against Djokovic. Federer would have smashed Djokovic easily if they met on grass, and he'd go on to lose to Nadal in the finals, but Tsonga just have to ruin everything by playing the best tennis of his life to beat Federer at Wimbledon.

dudeski
12-20-2011, 07:38 AM
It's all over for Nadal once Tsonga defeated Federer. I knew Tsonga would play like crap against Djokovic. Federer would have smashed Djokovic easily if they met on grass, and he'd go on to lose to Nadal in the finals, but Tsonga just have to ruin everything by playing the best tennis of his life to beat Federer at Wimbledon.

I am sure you meant "save the day" by preventing Federer from gifting another slam to Nadal.

Sentinel
12-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I am sure you meant "save the day" by preventing Federer from gifting another slam to Nadal.
Thanks for helping @hello articulate his thoughts.:)

GOAT BAAH!!!
12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
When Djokovic had won the match then tasted the grass I knew Nadal had lost.

woodrow1029
12-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Sorry, another Nadal/Djokovic thread but this is the last one I promise.:)

I don't believe you.

CDestroyer
12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
When he and Djokovic won the semifinals.

nadalwon2012
12-20-2011, 09:07 AM
LOL, you don't lose a match due to a missed tweener, especially when you've almost never won a point on one before, or even got one in court before.

I admit I rarely watch a Nadal match, unless he's playing a decent player, or its a semi or final, but on the few occasions that he's attempted a tweener its either gone into the net, or into the parking lot.

Now that's even more surprising since acco to some Nadal fans, a tweener is the easiest shot and everyone in their club hits tweeners all day long, and yet Seņor Nadal can't, even if his life depended on it.

Anyway, from the tone of your post, you sound like a tennis expert, so I'll take your word that that was when Nadal lost the final.

How on earth do you come up with this rubbish? When did I say the tweener had something to do with the outcome? :lol: I was just explaining why Nadal missed the tweener so poorly. He turns his head because he wants to see where it goes, and that is why he misses so many tweeners.

Mike Sams
12-20-2011, 09:18 AM
How on earth do you come up with this rubbish? When did I say the tweener had something to do with the outcome? :lol: I was just explaining why Nadal missed the tweener so poorly. He turns his head because he wants to see where it goes, and that is why he misses so many tweeners.

Also remember Nadal's Sampras impression against Tsonga at AO 2008? He went for the jump smash and dumped it into the net? :lol: He was trying to be cocky. He can't do a jump smash or do a tweener. He shouldn't try silly things like that anyway.

nadalwon2012
12-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Mike Sams, Nadal hit the best tweener of 2011.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEzgysQEmyg
You should follow tennis sometime, seeing as you post here and all...