PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Tennis Championships move intown

widmerpool
12-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Pretty big news as I think they were about to fold if they didn't make a major move. They kept hosting it out in the exurbs nearly an hour away from the center of Atlanta.

Now it will be right on the I-75/85 connector in Midtown Atlanta. This should bring in the casual fan who just wants to see Roddick and have a night out.

Atlanta Tennis Championships Finally Moves to Atlanta (http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ycn-10716005)

Atlantic Station will be transformed for the event. Three competition courts will be constructed along with practice courts. The stadium court will be like no other main court. Stands will be constructed around the Central Park area of Atlantic Station around escalators and stairways. A Christmas tree currently sits where the court will be; picture putting a tennis court and stands in a shopping mall.

pessimistic observer
12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
i wonder if this will resolve the shade issue i've heard some people complain about.
also will this be the only atp event held at an outdoor temporary venue

Soianka
12-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Pretty big news as I think they were about to fold if they didn't make a major move. They kept hosting it out in the exurbs nearly an hour away from the center of Atlanta.

Now it will be right on the I-75/85 connector in Midtown Atlanta. This should bring in the casual fan who just wants to see Roddick and have a night out.

Atlanta Tennis Championships Finally Moves to Atlanta (http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ycn-10716005)

Atlantic Station will be transformed for the event. Three competition courts will be constructed along with practice courts. The stadium court will be like no other main court. Stands will be constructed around the Central Park area of Atlantic Station around escalators and stairways. A Christmas tree currently sits where the court will be; picture putting a tennis court and stands in a shopping mall.

Wow, that's amazing.

RCS does suck. It will be amazing to actually have the tournament in the city of Atlanta and a lot more exciting.

This is really cool, but they'd probably save a lot of money if they built a new tennis center in Piedmont Park and hosted it there. Then it wouldn't be a temporary structure.

This is awesome though. I think I'll volunteer this summer at the tournie.

Soianka
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
i wonder if this will resolve the shade issue i've heard some people complain about.
also will this be the only atp event held at an outdoor temporary venue

Hopefully, I got totally burned up last year.

gsharma
12-20-2011, 06:12 PM

Interesting. There was nothing on 17th street 8-9 years ago and now a tennis championship.