PDA

View Full Version : Will Agassi Retire after the US OPEN?

raftermania
07-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Face the reality folks, he just withdrew from the RCA Championships because of his bum back. The A-Train is running out of fuel (Don't throw Jaden in the burner, Andre) and running low on results.

Will the Era of Agassi come to close after such a rollercoaster of a career?

Remember, all goods things must come to an end ;)

TEAMRAFA
07-16-2005, 09:57 PM
its sad to see him have to go out like this. im really hoping he gives it a go at cincinatti this year so i can root him on for probably the last time.

BaseLineBash
07-16-2005, 10:22 PM
My guess is he'll retire after he wins his 9th and makes Connors eat his words.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
07-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Agassi may not retire, but he SHOULD. He probably is real happy with his carrear, and his hip looks BAD. The French was just ugly. He's gotta know that he really can't win the Aussie. If he has to play Fed he has absolutely no chance, and I'd put money on Roddick, Safin, or Hewitt over him at the Aus too.

chazz
07-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Agassi probably wants one more shot at the Australian Open if he can get healthy, he's had the most success there out of all of the slams. He'd still have a hard time winning it even if he didn't have to play Federer. If anything he'd probably just want to play one last time at that event for sentimental reasons.

Rodzilla
07-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I think Agassi should not retire after the US Open. Will he? Who knows really? If he really feels that he's not in the right condition to be able to compete at such a high level, sadly, I think he'll leave the game. Obviously, some injuries that have probably come with how long he's been playing this game have been nagging him, but I hope he's rejuvenated enough to keep up with the young guys asap. I think the hard courts, whether it's Flushing Meadows or in Melbourne, if he gets fully rejuvenated, he'll have a legit shot at those slams. I would also like to see Andre, Roddick, and the Bryans, US Davis Cup Dream team, win it. That would be the best good bye, along with a slam or two that is for Andre :)

big ted
07-17-2005, 01:27 PM
agassi knows his days are numbered, having to regularly pull out of gs events like wimbledon and even when he's "healthy" its like he still cant play enough tournaments to get in top form so hes always at a disadvantage. i hope he can keep playing but i think this injury is even worse then is lead on to beleive.
his scheduling and actions show he might hang it up
1. he finished his french open match (didnt default) becuz he wasnt sure he'd come back again.
2. he played dubai this year instead of his usual scottsdale becuz he never played there before and was going to play the rca tournament
3. wanted to play davis cup again possibly one last time his final year
i dont think he moves as fast as he used to. his forte was being fitter then anybody on tour. now i cant picture him grinding out 5 set matches at tournaments the way safin or roddick does unless hes playing a serve and volleyer and doesnt have to expend much energy.
anyways, i hope he keeps playing , but the us open could be his closing curtain. and he has other things in his life with his family and foundation too so i dont think it will be the end of the world for him.

Grimjack
07-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I doubt he'll retire before it, so I guess I've got to go with yes.

barry
07-17-2005, 02:23 PM
He is getting 18 million in endorsements, why would he retire. He Plays 4 or 5 tournaments a year, could easily get wild cards. Big draw for the fans.

tricky nicky
07-17-2005, 02:50 PM
He is getting 18 million in endorsements, why would he retire. He Plays 4 or 5 tournaments a year, could easily get wild cards. Big draw for the fans.

Agassi is a brand name in whatever he chooses to do, the endorsements will continue regardless of his tennis career........the guys not going to risk his long term health and mobility.no way!

he has a great smile and is a family man, he's going to be rolling in endorsements for years to come.tennis or no tennis.

I would bet that the following scenario is likely..........

Andre Medical advisors saying "well you could play one more open but you might end up needing surgery which could leave you with one leg shorter than the other"

Steffi Graff saying "Andre I know your a great competitor, but if you love me you wont make a fool of yourself and will retire in an emotional press conference before your first match"

that gets more respect from the tennis community than getting beat in your first match and then calling it a day, in my book anyways.

anyone want a bet?

hummer23
07-17-2005, 03:20 PM
as long as he wants to play, i dont think he will quit. he will train and rebound from this ithink.

theace21
07-17-2005, 06:10 PM
I think Agassi enjoys training and competing more than most...He is still a huge draw, and he will continue for several more years just to prove to everyone he can!!!

Hewitt rulez
07-17-2005, 06:16 PM
If he wins another Master series tournament no, but if he doesn't I think he will. That would be awsome if he won a U.S. open though. Be cool too if he lost to Federer in the semi or finals and went out like that.

tricky nicky
07-17-2005, 06:19 PM
he has a very serious debilitating injury that he has been carrying for a long time............it's over...........shame great guy.

Junkball
07-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I was afraid this post was finally going to come up.
The day Agassi retires will be a very sad day in tennis history...

sinatra161
07-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Don't know if he will but he probably should.Don't get me wrong I'm a huge agassi fan but I don't want him to become one of those people who go out kicking and screaming.Hopefully he's healthy enough to play in the open!

ctbmar
07-18-2005, 12:24 AM
I dont think he will leave when his wife is starting to join the doubles/veteran tour

tennisgeek505
07-18-2005, 12:42 AM
yes i think he is to old for it now

Deuce
07-18-2005, 12:49 AM
He is getting 18 million in endorsements, why would he retire.

Perhaps because he is often injured and is worn down physically... and because he already has more than enough money to live several lifetimes in absolute and decadent luxury.

Indiantwist
07-18-2005, 06:51 AM
The retirement is due soon.

I dont think it will be a sad day or anything. It will sure be Emotional day (for many of his fans and some mad fans of him like me).

He doesnt need to prove anything. He is a successful Brand name and a world class athlete. He proved that Wimbledon can be won from Baseline !. He will remain as the greatest returner of Serve (that should keep a lot of generations of players busy analyzing his tapes in the future).

Federer is a sick natural talent. In all fairness to Agassi , he isnt gifted as much as Fed is. Yet winning 8 grandslams on all surfaces......that too against stiff competition from some of the most gifted athelets ...like ...Pistol pete (14 grandslams), Ivanisevic , Stefan edberg, Jim courier, Krajicek.....etc etc.

No matter what... Agassi is one of the great tennis players that Tennis has show cased.

gts072
07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Hopefully he'll retire with some goddamn diginity!

William Bedford
07-18-2005, 10:55 AM
He should retire NOW.

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 11:45 AM
hopefully the usta will send him out in style like they did pete. 6 night matches vs unknowns, then have a fellow american rollover for u.

now the juice is gone his body is breaking down fast, bring back balco so we can watch agassi for another 5 years :)

TheGreatBernie
07-18-2005, 12:42 PM
At the US Open Agassi's going to have to go through Federer regardless. Roddick would roll over for Agassi without question, but Federer is the big question mark.

kicker75
07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I thought Agassi would retire last year, but then the way he played against Federer in both the US Open and the Masters, I think it gave him confidence that he could still play the big boys... I think if he gets eliminated early, he might call it quits...but if he makes it far, he'll stay on. I don't think Agassi is a "go out when on top" guy... I think he's a "go out when I can't play anymore" guy.

raftermania
07-18-2005, 01:19 PM
At the US Open Agassi's going to have to go through Federer regardless. Roddick would roll over for Agassi without question, but Federer is the big question mark.

It depends as Chadwixx says, Agassi could be put in Federer's opposite draw. And somebody like Safin could take out Fed for Agassi. As for Roddick, Agassi has a very good record against him!

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 01:27 PM
ill put an early dollar that agassi will be in the roddick side, while hewitt fed and safin will all be in the other side.

no one took my bet last time with wimbledon before the the draw was made :)

as they have stated in the past, its all about the fans (which means the fans money), and we know who puts the most butts in the seats.

Grant Morgan
07-18-2005, 01:35 PM
He will go when he is ready. Not for us not of Steff. AND until he does I as a tennis fan can not look him in eye and say Sorry you can’t win so get out or how about stop looking for help in your rkts. What about this. What if Andre started playing with an LM 8 and actually won a masters or a slam. What are we as tennis fans going to say then?

What about Jimmy? Here is a great tennis player who was all but done. And made the unbelievable run to the semis of the open that year. He was one of the best grinders in your face players. And had one of the best returns of serve in the history of the game. And in one last day in the sun gave us the gift of 4 defensive lobs and one unbelievable passing shot down the line that defined his whole tennis life. “This is what they pay for. This is what they want” So let’ let or fading heroes end on there terms not ours. And maybe just maybe we all get to see a few more last days in the sun.

Noelle
07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Nicely put, Grant. :)

hoosierbr
07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I'm a longtime, HUGE Agassi fan and tennis, as both player and fan, is a big part of my life because of Andre.

That said, I think before any of us jump to conclusions we need to remember a couple of things. First, AA has been counted out so many times by fans and the media it's tiresome. Last year, if you'll recall, after being throttled by one-match wonder Jerome Haehnel, who after losing in Stuttgart today is 1-10 on the year, the questions started. They intensified after a disappointing loss to Jurgen Melzer in Montreal and Andre himself mused about his future. The very next week he won the Masters in Cincinnati and was a couple of points away from beating Federer at the Open, in a fifth set that could have gone either way because of the horrid, windy conditions they were forced to play in. After that effort he finished the year ranked 8.

Everytime Andre loses he gets the dreaded "r" question and that must annoy him to no end. But I find two things illuminating in what he has said on the subject. In answer to Bud Collins at the French about whether he had just played his last, Andre responded that contrary to what people were saying he's never had an intention not to keep playing. Second, if you go to rcatennis.com and read the interview he gave to reporters after withdrawing from Indy, he said in response to the "r" word that while he was disappointed his second cortisone injection hadn't worked as quickly as the first, he felt that if he could get a few months out of each one he thought that was good enough because he was looking at "a few years" of doing it, not a way of life. He did say, though, that he wouldn't make any decisions until the end of season.

My guess is he'll see how he performs this summer and at the Open. I would think if stays healthy and plays well he'll be back for another year, if only because I've never heard him utter that quitting was on his mind. But I tend to agree that if he goes out early it might be the final straw.

One last thing: Darren Cahill told Tennisweek recently that he expected Andre to play "at least" another year and maybe another after that.

Maybe because I feel overprotective, I was angry that the USTA decided to offer the Andre "Legend" calendar at the Open. How must that make Andre feel if the folks in his own backyard don't expect to see him back?

hoosierbr.tblog.com

Defcon
07-20-2005, 04:03 PM
as long as he wants to play, i dont think he will quit. he will train and rebound from this ithink.

Perhaps on the rebound ace :) His fav surface no less.

Agassi is one of the few players I like to watch. I can no longer say if its because of his tennis or the story behind the man. There will be no fairy tale ending like for Sampras, and I wish the media and us fans would shut up about his 'pending retirement', the endless interviews and specials, and just let things take their course and enjoy it while it lasts.

hoosierbr
07-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Amen to that!

He's the link to the RCA story I was alluding to:

http://www.rcatennis.com/DailyStories.section/pages/dailystories2f2a8fe1.html

raftermania
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Good insights there hoosier, let's hear most posts from you!

I know what you are saying about counting Agassi out but I think this situation is different because this time the debilitating factor is overuse/serious injury. As mentally tough Andre is, I don't think his hip/back can take another year on tour! I never lost hope in Andre in earlier times of question, but this time it doesn't look pretty/optimistic. When the cortisone (sp?) needles start coming out, that a *very* bad sign!

So far, the slim majority says he's going to call it quits after the open. But I also like the notion earlier in the thread of him calling it after the Aussie. Because retiring after the US Open would be nice but it's also what his career rival Sampras did three years earlier. Perhaps he will hang tight (if his body allows him to) and hang them up (no pun intended) at the Oz Open.

fist pump
07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
News: Andre Agassi is not retiring .After this year - he will still play -- on the seniors tour.

hoosierbr
07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Raftermania - thanks for the pat on the back! (No pun intended.)

As for the cortisone injections, I agree that they're never a good sign. However, Justin Gimelstob has been taking them for a couple of years now and says he'll go until he drops, or dives, as he did so many times at Wimby this year!

Luckily for Andre cortisone injections only take a matter of minutes. If they keep working and all goes well on the court, again my opinion, I still think Andre will keep plugging along until, alas, he can't. The fire is still there, anyone can see that. The only player who has his number is Federer, but going by their last few matches, all won by Federer, Andre has played him better and tighter than everyone else in the top ten. Safin, on one of his sane days, is the exception. At least when Andre and Federer play there's a slim chance Andre could actually win. You can't say that about Hewitt, Roddick, Moya, Coria, etc.

Obviously I want to see Andre play for another year or two. Hell, Jimmy Connors went to 40! On the same token, I want Andre to go out when he's ready, not stick around to appease his fans and certainly not to spite the sports writers, even though they deserve it! I just hope it's Andre, not an orthopedist, who tells him when it's time.

BaseLineBash
07-20-2005, 07:20 PM
The Punisher is just awesome! I can't wait to see him in action. By the way great link hoosierbr.

hoosierbr
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Andre gave a press conference today at the Mercedes-Benz Cup ahead of his first round match tomorrow against Jean-Rene Lisnard, a qualifier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050726/ap_on_sp_te_ne/ten_los_angeles_agassi/nc:1363;_ylt=AtWUhDx.0WzCDRy..lbaNMBNz7QF;_ylu=X3o DMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Here's the last couple of paragraphs which should give a lift to Agassi fans:

Agassi apparently doesn't plan to retire anytime soon.

"I want to play a lot, but I want to play only if I can be at my best," he said. "The longer and harder I work, the better off I feel, the better I am and the better off for my foundation (for youth)."

Agassi is going for his fourth championship in the Los Angeles tournament.

"Coming off eight weeks of not playing, I can't think of a better place," he said. "I have played so well here and used it as a springboard into my season.

"I hope to be good and healthy here."

raftermania
07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
That's pretty interesting.

I hope Agassi plays good and gets some decent results so he can get by all this retirement controversy. But if he starts to hobble around the court like the very hard to watch display at the French, don't expect him out there for much longer :(

The Legend
07-26-2005, 03:39 AM
Andre gave a press conference today at the Mercedes-Benz Cup ahead of his first round match tomorrow against Jean-Rene Lisnard, a qualifier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050726/ap_on_sp_te_ne/ten_los_angeles_agassi/nc:1363;_ylt=AtWUhDx.0WzCDRy..lbaNMBNz7QF;_ylu=X3o DMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Here's the last couple of paragraphs which should give a lift to Agassi fans:

Agassi apparently doesn't plan to retire anytime soon.

"I want to play a lot, but I want to play only if I can be at my best," he said. "The longer and harder I work, the better off I feel, the better I am and the better off for my foundation (for youth)."

Agassi is going for his fourth championship in the Los Angeles tournament.

"Coming off eight weeks of not playing, I can't think of a better place," he said. "I have played so well here and used it as a springboard into my season.

"I hope to be good and healthy here."

That's refreshing to hear. I'm all for him to continue playing as long as he's positive he can play at the level he wants. The draw and the field at LA is not that tough, so I hope he warms himself back up.

xanctus
07-26-2005, 06:22 AM
All I am hoping for Agassi is that he would be win another tournament (bigger ones) and then retired. After that, I would really hope that he will get ceremonial as big as Pete Sampras' farewell party. He is one of the biggest and flamboyant tennis player ever in the history of tennis.
I was quite disturbed to see how Pete's and Michael Chang's farewell was quite a huge different....I know the fact that Chang wasn't as big as Pete, but he did an amazing job on French open against Ivan Lendl.

raftermania
07-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Michael Chang's "farewell tour" was pretty bad, he'd just go to every tourny and lose in the first round. I think Agassi will learn from this.

William Bedford
07-26-2005, 06:53 AM
I think he should. He is obviously in it for the $$$ now. He cant seriously think he'll win another slam or masters tournament.

The Legend
07-26-2005, 06:57 AM
He cant seriously think he'll win another slam or masters tournament.

And why not? He is still probably the player in the best shape out there. I hope this back pain does not continue to hamper him, and he returns to pre-injury form. Agassi has not lost an ounce of juice in his shots or movement. I feel he can still contend at a high level, but does Agassi feel that way? Prior to the injury, he was still going far in events, including slams, so I see no reason to retire. I think money plays into a little also, like you mentioned William.

killer
08-05-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm a little surprised to see some posts here that allude to AA still playing for the money...do you really think he needs it? At the end of his Nike contract, he was reportedly given a $40 million 'bonus' from stock options. Granted he burned through a lot of endorsement and prize money much earlier in his career (do you remember that he had his own LearJet and a Vector W-8 supercar?) but I suspect he has more than enough for he and Steffi to never lift a finger again in their natural lives.

I sincerely doubt that he would continue to play out of contractual obligation with Adidas; from the articles i've read one of the major reasons for their new partnership is the opportunity for Adidas to contribute to AA's charitable foundations, a commitment i'm sure will extend well past his playing days.

One last reiteration:I'll agree with hoosierbr that AA has been one of the most consistent threats to Fed over the past two years. Though he may not be pulling through, those matches are always closely contested, entertaining affairs in which Fed and AA push one another to higher levels of play. Very similar to AA and Sampras through the years.

Phil_
08-05-2005, 09:17 AM
yes, please.

Aykhan Mammadov
08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Money is not sufficient ever. More money u have more plans u create and u again feel lack of money.

But what is more important and what I think is that with every year my chances against Agassi increase.

tennis4losers
08-05-2005, 09:32 PM
He is way past his prime. He should quit the tour and open a acadamy or something.

BaseLineBash
08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Agassi is past his prime when he decides to step off the tennis courts.