PDA

View Full Version : Problems of A-Rod

hondas2k
07-16-2005, 08:56 PM
when A-Rod came out with big serve, i thought he will be next one. Later on he seems became the one. Unfortunately, he didnt make it until now. he won us open thou.

1. one of worst net player (simply his volley sucks)
2. get easily down when opponent return A-Rod's first serve
3. lack of return ( A-Rod isnt great serve returner. however, his serve is still alright)
4. lack of speed (he seems pretty fast guy, but not that fast enough)
5. still too many unforced error (he always hit the ball so hard, 1/3 is out of line)

here is what i summarize about Problems of A-Rod
i talk about this my tennis buddies, they have sort of same opinions

wat u think guys?

divito
07-16-2005, 09:04 PM
I honestly never thought very much of him and still am confused why people like him or think he is a good tennis player. He is one dimensional, arrogant and his tennis isn't very entertaining.

hyperwarrior
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I honestly never thought very much of him and still am confused why people like him or think he is a good tennis player.

In 2003, he won back-to-back the Tennis Masters Series Montreal and Cincinnati and then, won the US Open. He finished the year at #1. I think when you achieve those goals, you're definitely a good tennis player no matter what styles of play.

Why are you confuse when people think of him as a good tennis player?

A-rodd
07-16-2005, 09:41 PM
I love to watch pure power and I'm not a big fan of finess. A-rodd is pure power and I feel he will become more of a complete player as time goes on. He's very young and willing to learn in order to win. GO A-RODD!!!

x Southpaw x
07-16-2005, 09:48 PM
I think what Roddick really needs is to get his volleys up there. Which I'm sure he's trying to do right now, you saw how many times he went up to the net recently. It's really no use if he punishes from the baseline and the opponent can just return a safe weak floater without him coming to the net to finish off the point.

TEAMRAFA
07-16-2005, 09:59 PM
i hate when people claim roddick to be arrogant. he is always gracious in defeat and knows when he has been out played.

joesixtoe
07-16-2005, 10:17 PM
i think his vollieys are getting a lot better, but what he lacks is his backhand, and serve placement i think,, i mean his serve speed makes up for that, but his backhand i think is what eventually kills him.. maybe when agassi retires he can be his coach, and agassi can teach him how to hit a good backhand..

x Southpaw x
07-17-2005, 12:35 AM
i think his vollieys are getting a lot better, but what he lacks is his backhand, and serve placement i think,, i mean his serve speed makes up for that, but his backhand i think is what eventually kills him.. maybe when agassi retires he can be his coach, and agassi can teach him how to hit a good backhand..
Come to think of it, you're right. His backhand does bring him down somewhat in comparison to the rest of his game. But Roddick is a power tennis player... he's better at power than at coordination. And 2BH requires coordination to become lethal. Maybe he should consider following power-player Sampras' footsteps and switch to 1BH which requires power over coordination.

devila
07-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Why do you think he really takes tennis seriously? He just laughed his way to the bank. He lost all the matches he should've won. He even joked around and lost a World Team Tennis match.
He lacks much power compared to Federer. When the body is too muscular and tall, it's impossible to be a confident player. If he doesn't care about technique and agility training, there's no point in taking him seriously.

These posts are more boring than the fanatic posts about Overrated Federer.

verdasco67
07-17-2005, 01:44 AM
he's improved a lot.....he's become a more complete player now...and to be top ten you must be pretty darn good to make it there...so please dont talk about how roddick isnt good etc etc...

TheGreatBernie
07-17-2005, 02:24 AM
He even joked around and lost a World Team Tennis match.

Are you aware of what the WTT is? It's purely for entertainment purposes for the pros. It's understandable why he would joke about it.

Rodzilla
07-17-2005, 07:22 AM
1. I think through much more practice and experience of coming in, Roddick's volleys will get much better, how much, I don't know?

2. I completely agree that even if most can't return that monster serve, that he has to know an increasing number of guys know how to read it better nowadays

3. I agree on this one also. He needs someone to focus on making that return to the point of his serve

4. I disagree. His speed is highly underrated by many. What many don't know is that Andy was a "speed guy", up until he was 15, Roddick was only abou 5-foot-2. I wouldn't call his speed like the gliding of Federer's, but I think the huge amount of athleticism Roddick has gives him that speed.

5. I disagree. I think he's being more conscious of getting it consistent. I want him to keep drilling like the old times, but with thinking of what to hit at what times.

Free_Martha
07-17-2005, 11:06 AM
1. one of worst net player (simply his volley sucks)
2. get easily down when opponent return A-Rod's first serve
3. lack of return ( A-Rod isnt great serve returner. however, his serve is still alright)
4. lack of speed (he seems pretty fast guy, but not that fast enough)
5. still too many unforced error (he always hit the ball so hard, 1/3 is out of line)

He has improved in all of these but he is inconsistent with the results. For instance, his volleying during his semifinal at wimbledon was very good but in the final it was terrible. He was also rather sluggish in the final too which may have to do with the fact that he just finished the semifinal and was not as well rested as Federer.

His serve is his best weapon but he needs to mix it up more, take the pace off a bit sometimes, and be more like Sampras in hitting the lines.

The backhand will never be a weapon but it's vastly improved from a year or two years ago. As long as he manages to keep the ball in play that's all that counts.

Mentally he is not as confident as he was a year ago and his opponents know it. This is part of what is killing him in matches.