PDA

View Full Version : Federer : 3 Generations

jman
12-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Just realised that Roger Federer has played through 3 Generations of tennis, and remains in the top 3. Sometimes I feel, he doesn't get enough recognition, and people just write him off, myself included.

Anything is possible next year...Golden Slam =)

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Golden Slam?

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/738/thatda.png

helloworld
12-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Just realised that Roger Federer has played through 3 Generations of tennis, and remains in the top 3. Sometimes I feel, he doesn't get enough recognition, and people just write him off, myself included.

You failed. Federer wasn't a factor in the 90s. And the new generation hasn't even begin yet. So it's 1 generation, not 3.

jman
12-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I said 'played through'
You have to stop and read mate lol.
Anyway he played with Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, and had some pretty good wins over them, followed by the Hewitt-Roddick generation which he performed extremely well, and now the Nadal-Djokovic generation. All i'm saying is, ppl write him off to quickly, and shouldn't.

Andres
12-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Define 'generation'. Sampras, Agassi, Rafter were 10 years older than him. Nadal is only 5 younger. I think Tomic, Harrison, Dimitrov to be the next generation, not Nadal's.

And most player who stay on tour for 8 to 10 years play against 3 "generations"

tennis_pro
12-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Define 'generation'. Sampras, Agassi, Rafter were 10 years older than him. Nadal is only 5 younger. I think Tomic, Harrison, Dimitrov to be the next generation, not Nadal's.

Ehhhmm? You forgot about the most obvious ones? Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Safin, Ferrero, Coria maybe?

Federer has played the 1970-1974 generation - Sampras, Agassi, Henman, Rafter, Corretja (it was a long time ago of course).

Then the ones I mentioned before (Safin, Hewitt etc.)

Djokovic, Nadal, Del Potro, Murray, Tsonga in the most recent times.

Tomic, Harrison, Nishikori and some new lads in the future.

Andres
12-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Ehhhmm? You forgot about the most obvious ones? Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Safin, Ferrero, Coria maybe?

Federer has played the 1970-1974 generation - Sampras, Agassi, Henman, Rafter, Corretja (it was a long time ago of course).

Then the ones I mentioned before (Safin, Hewitt etc.)

Djokovic, Nadal, Del Potro, Murray, Tsonga in the most recent times.

Tomic, Harrison, Nishikori and some new lads in the future.
I wasn't disagreeing. I was saying that IMO, Federer, Hewitt, Nalbandian and then Murray and Nadal are all the same generation. 5 years doesnt seem like a leap. 10 years does.

The next generation should be Tomic, Dimitrov, Harrison. And then I said: most people who play for almost a decade will play against three different generations.

jman
12-23-2011, 03:35 AM
I wasn't disagreeing. I was saying that IMO, Federer, Hewitt, Nalbandian and then Murray and Nadal are all the same generation. 5 years doesnt seem like a leap. 10 years does.

The next generation should be Tomic, Dimitrov, Harrison. And then I said: most people who play for almost a decade will play against three different generations.

But Nadal-Murray-Djokovic raised tennis to a higher level. I guess, my personal opinion of generation is the level of tennis, not the age gaps. But that's just my personal opinion.

helloworld
12-23-2011, 04:33 AM
But Nadal-Murray-Djokovic raised tennis to a higher level. I guess, my personal opinion of generation is the level of tennis, not the age gaps. But that's just my personal opinion.

No, they don't. :oops:

joeri888
12-23-2011, 04:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKETvVqxTmk

Now tell me they raised tennis to a higher level. They might be physically stronger and more consistent on the backhand side, but that is totally eclipsed by the sheer talent, movement, technique of that Federer. No way they raised tennis a level above that.

Sentinel
12-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Fred played 3 generations of Nadal alone, baby, peak and now old and worn out.

jackson vile
12-23-2011, 06:39 AM
You failed. Federer wasn't a factor in the 90s. And the new generation hasn't even begin yet. So it's 1 generation, not 3.

It is part of the Federer mythologies that the ****s spew out all the time.

Cup8489
12-23-2011, 07:25 AM

I wasn't aware that it wasn't yet 2011. OH, wait a minute.

You don't know much, I forgot. He said 'played', not 'dominated', so you fail again. He played in 99, so it counts.

Cup8489
12-23-2011, 07:26 AM
It is part of the Federer mythologies that the ****s spew out all the time.

And here's the bitter ******* turned ********* who never says anything worth reading :rolleyes:

Cup8489
12-23-2011, 07:28 AM
No, they don't. :oops:

good counter argument. he says one thing, and you disagree. Therefore, you're right.

learn to make an argument.. because you have failed twice in the same thread already. :oops:

merlinpinpin
12-23-2011, 07:41 AM

Can't agree with that. The tennis level is much lower than what Federer produced in 2004-2006 (heck, even today, he's close to the best Djokovic), the level of grinding/physicality/intensity is higher, though.

helloworld
12-23-2011, 07:51 AM
good counter argument. he says one thing, and you disagree. Therefore, you're right.

learn to make an argument.. because you have failed twice in the same thread already. :oops:

Wow, a typical ******* getting hurt.

So you agreed that Nadal-Djokovic-Murray raised tennis to a higher level? :shock:

You're dumber than I thought. :oops:

sureshs
12-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Agassi says he played four generations. He said every 5 years a new generation emerges.

And Agassi also won the O Gold.

Povl Carstensen
12-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes, I would say that 5 years is in a way a generation, but of course that is a generalization.

Cup8489
12-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Wow, a typical ******* getting hurt.

So you agreed that Nadal-Djokovic-Murray raised tennis to a higher level? :shock:

You're dumber than I thought. :oops:

Odd how you can form MY opinion on the matter when I haven't weighed in one way or another...and then call ME stupid. LOL. Classic helloidiot for ya!

Please tell me how they DIDN'T raise the level of tennis? I bet you don't actually have a decent answer ready. LOL.

And my actual opinion is that they raised the bar on physical preparation and a well rounded game. You can't beat any of them without both a strong offense AND defense. But, djokovic has raised the bar, or rather matched the bar federer set during his peak.

jman
12-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Hahaha thanks Cup8489, Haterz are always gonna hate lol.

kiki
12-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Very true, I fully agree

Cup8489
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Of course a dumb poster should get a nod of approval from another dumb poster such as jacksonfail.

agree. I guess to be in their club you must know jack **** about tennis, and regularly shove your own head up your arse. I'll pass.

anantak2k
12-23-2011, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKETvVqxTmk

Now tell me they raised tennis to a higher level. They might be physically stronger and more consistent on the backhand side, but that is totally eclipsed by the sheer talent, movement, technique of that Federer. No way they raised tennis a level above that.

I remember that match. That has to be one of the greatest matches that Federer has ever played. He made poor Hewitt look so helpless on court that day. It was an unbelievable level that day.
On a side note: those green USO courts were so much faster than the current blue version. The current blue courts are not only a bit slower but a lot bouncier.

droliver
12-24-2011, 04:11 PM
What's a tennis generation exactly? Can we agree on some kind of definition chronologically.

I kind of think players within 4-5 years in either direction of a player is kind of in their peer group. So for Federer, Rafa & Murray kind of fall in this window (while Novak is a little too far out age wise.) with players like Grosjean, Haas, Kiefer, Moya, & Kuerten towards the other end.

beast of mallorca
12-24-2011, 04:23 PM

You my friend, are deluded. This board alone is full of Fed is GOAT thread and that he is their God, and will be back to number 1 soon etc, etc.
If anything, the shower of praises poured on him is extreme. Fanatics at their worse/best, depending where you are in the spectrum.

ledwix
12-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Basically what this thread is saying is that Federer is an all-time great. Any all-time great, like Sampras, Nadal, etc. will be playing through times when they are younger than their rivals, the same age as their rivals, and older than their rivals, because the average age of the top 10 tends to stay around 25, but everyone individually just gets older.

Hmm that sentence was kinda long.

rcglider
12-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Fred played 3 generations of Nadal alone, baby, peak and now old and worn out.

This is gold. Can I use it as my signature?