PDA

View Full Version : Sony to stop sponsorship of WTA Tour

West Coast Ace
12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
(searched on Sony; didn't see this):

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-wtatour-sponsorship

The world economy and the women's game aren't in great shape - going to be interesting to see who they can find as a replacement

sureshs
12-23-2011, 11:38 AM
More likely, Sony Ericsson is not in great shape. Their cell phone business is not taking off and the days of Playstation-like gaming devices are coming to an end due to smartphones.

Women's tennis is taking off big time in emerging markets, where the excitement is about local players and opportunities and glamor, not comparison between Kvitova and oldies like Steffi which is the preoccupation of fans in traditional tennis countries.

Homeboy Hotel
12-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years every tournament looks like Wimbledon.

LameTennisPlayer
12-23-2011, 11:47 AM
More likely, Sony Ericsson is not in great shape. Their cell phone business is not taking off and the days of Playstation-like gaming devices are coming to an end due to smartphones.

since when?!!

Leelord337
12-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I wonder if Victoria's Secret is going to step it up and become the new sponsor.

gramdacious
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM

I agree that Sony Ericsson is in bad shape and barely anyone uses their cell phones, but Sony as a whole is doing fine and no one I know is replacing their Playstation or Xbox with a smartphone. Not sure where you would tie that into the equation.

sureshs
12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
since when?!!

That is what I am reading. The Vista is being watched carefully now and being called perhaps the last of its kind. Lots of business analyses on this.

sureshs
12-23-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree that Sony Ericsson is in bad shape and barely anyone uses their cell phones, but Sony as a whole is doing fine and no one I know is replacing their Playstation or Xbox with a smartphone. Not sure where you would tie that into the equation.

I was referring to their handhelds

sureshs
12-23-2011, 12:23 PM
I wonder if Victoria's Secret is going to step it up and become the new sponsor.

That is a great idea

sureshs
12-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Sony as a whole is doing fine

Not relevant. The Sony-Ericsson ads always focused only on their phones, never on TVs or other stuff. Those are branded as Sony, not Sony Ericsson. The SE venture was specifically for phones to combine Sony's consumer electronics expertise with wireless expertise from Ericsson. The ads showed the women running around the world with the phones. Since the phones are almost non-existent now, it does not make sense to waste more money marketing the SE brand.

West Coast Ace
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM
The Sony-Ericsson ads always focused only on their phones, never on TVs or other stuff.Huh? Peyton Manning and the Sony TVs, just to name one. For years. Just not this year because he's injured. And on the internet Sony has tons of ads on tech sites for laptops, cameras, etc.

gramdacious
12-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Not relevant. The Sony-Ericsson ads always focused only on their phones, never on TVs or other stuff. Those are branded as Sony, not Sony Ericsson. The SE venture was specifically for phones to combine Sony's consumer electronics expertise with wireless expertise from Ericsson. The ads showed the women running around the world with the phones. Since the phones are almost non-existent now, it does not make sense to waste more money marketing the SE brand.

I got it. You were referring to products like PSP and I agree those products are dwindling away.

CCNM
12-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Ha ha ha ha! Imagine what they would dress the players in! :lol:

jackson vile
12-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Time for womens tennis to clean their act up.

jman
12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years every tournament looks like Wimbledon.

Love this idea! Get all those coporate logos off, make it simple and clean.

pound cat
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Love this idea! Get all those coporate logos off, make it simple and clean.

And everyone wears the same tennis outfits and no logos. I like that idea.

The downside is that there will be no tennis on TV or streamed. Like the old days...everyone will be watching the scoreboard and will be lucky to go to a tournament.

Sponsors are the reason we presently don't have to watch scoreboards.

DRII
12-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Many Japanese companies aren't doing well right now, including Sony.

Their immediate neighbors to the west are taking them to the woodshed!

Perhaps a Korean firm like Samsung could sponsor the tour.

Homeboy Hotel
12-23-2011, 04:35 PM
And everyone wears the same tennis outfits and no logos. I like that idea.

The downside is that there will be no tennis on TV or streamed. Like the old days...everyone will be watching the scoreboard and will be lucky to go to a tournament.

Sponsors are the reason we presently don't have to watch scoreboards.

For the Women's tour? Ah, I can live with that.

cc0509
12-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Time for womens tennis to clean their act up.

It has nothing to do with the WTA, it has to do with Sony. Sony has been having financial troubles for a while. I guess you don't read the business section of the news. :roll:

Another sponsor or sponsors will jump in.

Achilles82
12-24-2011, 12:43 AM
I have no idea how is sony making money of wta.

I honestly have no idea who the hell is watching WTA. I have never heard anyone talking about WTA tournaments, matches... I mean... Jesus

sureshs
12-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Ha ha ha ha! Imagine what they would dress the players in! :lol:

Yeah imagine Schiavone vs Serena

hcb0804
12-24-2011, 06:40 AM

hey, you are on to something there!!!
there's the Lingerie Football League....why not Lingerie tennis??
Male attendance would quadruple!
I would love to see a Goerges vs. Kirilenko in teddies match......

fadi edwan
12-24-2011, 07:43 AM

NO WONDER AT AAAAALL :) The best sponsor that fit the new generation of WTA players!

Where are U Steffi :cry:

Cup8489
12-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Huh? Peyton Manning and the Sony TVs, just to name one. For years. Just not this year because he's injured. And on the internet Sony has tons of ads on tech sites for laptops, cameras, etc.

Yes... SONY. Not Sony-Ericsson. There is a difference....

mctennis
12-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I think it is getting harder and harder to find companies willing to be long term sponsors. We've seen some pull out that have been very long sponsors - Volvo, Pilot Pen , as example. With the economy being what it is I'm not sure to many companies will put money into something they can't measure getting something back in return. Did any of these sponsors really get their money back they spent in sponsorships? How many more pens did Pilot sell because they were a tennis sponsor?
As a side note of sponsors. How does a non profit company justify being a sponsor? Or a local/ area utility company- since usually you have no choice as to where you get your electricity from. Does it make you want to use more electricity since they sponsor an event?

Bobby Jr
12-24-2011, 03:01 PM
This really has been on the cards for a couple of years now. The cost to Sony Ericsson and the payback would have been diminishing the past few years as female tennis, outside of slams, has been in a real slump. The target market for SE products probably isn't a particularly good crossover with the audience of the WTA either.

They'd also been there for a fair few years so these sort of relationships always get given a close rethink after five or so years.