PDA

View Full Version : The Andy Roddick Forehand

gunnd5000
12-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Does roddick chose to hit loopy spinney shots or is that all hes got left to give? Does that weapon still exist or is he now truly passed it and not just tactically weak?

Also whjat about the 150+mph serve gone?

ben123
12-24-2011, 05:30 PM
you know what i help you!

he got frustrated from getting beaten by roger. he then saw the nadal beating roger again and again. so now he tries to copy the nadals game!

Crazy man
12-24-2011, 05:34 PM
This is probably the most talked about topic in tennis over the years. Roddick if he reverted back to his original forehand can still unleash moster forehands, but would rather step up into the court and hit with more spin. Roddick's big forehand relied on him being quite far behind the baseline so he could take a ridiculous cut (off fast paces balls from opponents), now with a quicker motion he is able to step up into the court to improve his positioning but lacks pace from that motion. Stupid move that prevented him from winning slams. I think the change was tactical, but tactically stupid!

gunnd5000
12-24-2011, 05:46 PM
This is probably the most talked about topic in tennis over the years. Roddick if he reverted back to his original forehand can still unleash moster forehands, but would rather step up into the court and hit with more spin. Roddick's big forehand relied on him being quite far behind the baseline so he could take a ridiculous cut (off fast paces balls from opponents), now with a quicker motion he is able to step up into the court to improve his positioning but lacks pace from that motion. Stupid move that prevented him from winning slams. I think the change was tactical, but tactically stupid!

It has obviously been discussed as to the affect it has, which evidently is ehh.. not the most impacting one. However not much has been said about whether he is actually in a position to do anything about it.

If its something he can change and is choosing to play like a rubber wall, then I fully believe that if he chose to revert back to the original forehand in the off season he could contest slam and be ranked inside the top 5.

If he can't do anything and its the side effect of a long career and age, then I'm afraid to say it but he should probably just hang up his racket and call it a day.

The other possibility is it's a confidence issue and he lacks the belief in his forehand, I've had this experience with my own game, and if it wouldn't shock me if this was the case for Roddick, all in all I think if Roddick doesn't finish top 15 next year or make it to the QF of a slam he should say that's it.

I do feel people have been very quick to write him off however. How many guys after having played a slam final 2 years prior have the tennis community discussing their retirement or how many people who make the QF of the last slam are put on the chopping block. People are saying he's done, the QF at the US open was promising when their was no expectation with him having barely played a match in the run up to it. I think the lack of pressure allowed him to hit the big shots in the early rounds and then once he came up against Nadal he froze when he realised he was back in the lime light. Confidence gone back to the good old moon ball?

OddJack
12-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Rod is history.

Surprised people still talk about hius forehand.

sportsfan1
12-24-2011, 06:23 PM

I do feel people have been very quick to write him off however. How many guys after having played a slam final 2 years prior have the tennis community discussing their retirement or how many people who make the QF of the last slam are put on the chopping block. People are saying he's done, the QF at the US open was promising when their was no expectation with him having barely played a match in the run up to it....

It depends on what the context is and what the expectations are for the player in this discussion. Roddick was a top player who is now approaching 30 and his recent results have been dismal. IIRC, Sampras had been fending off retirement questions for quite a while until he won his last USO. Fed's been in the same boat recently. For these top tier guys, it's win slams or fend off talk of fading, diminishing, retiring etc.

OTOH, someone like Ferrer is a top 10 player, but is not the favorite to win entering Slams, and if he makes quarters/semi's it's a good performance from him. If he starts losing early rounds, then he will face the same questions.
Roddick's somewhere in between these two categories, but having won a slam and reached finals in the past, its a valid question whether he will be motivated to continue with his current results and form.

Crazy man
12-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Rod is history.

Sorry, you are a forum user. You have pretty much no say in which player is done or finished, let alone a former slam champion with deep runs in other slams. But what do I know? A forum user proclaims Roddick is done, he must be done:roll:.

Surprised people still talk about hius forehand.

Surprised people still talk like ******s............

BobFL
12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Sorry, you are a forum user. You have pretty much no say in which player is done or finished, let alone a former slam champion with deep runs in other slams. But what do I know? A forum user proclaims Roddick is done, he must be done:roll:.

Are you Asian?

Crazy man
12-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Are you Asian?

No. What a strange question. Why ask it?

BobFL
12-25-2011, 01:12 PM
No. What a strange question. Why ask it?

I have my reasons. Certainly nothing sinister.

mattennis
12-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Roddick show that huge forehand sometimes. In Dubai'08 he defeated Nadal and Djokovic showing that powerful forehand.

In Miami'10 he beat Nadal in the SF blasting forehands in the last two sets.

He does it sometimes, but not always work. He has to feel confident to do it, because when not, he misses a lot.

I think he realized that playing safer (with so much top-spin) was better to beat lower ranking players almost always (given his huge serve), whereas blasting forehands was more a gambling game with good days and bad days.

OddJack
12-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Hey what up crazy boy? No cartoon on tv today?

oooh did I say bad bad things about your guy? Love him much boy?
Honestly I didnt know it would **** you off like that or I wouldnt have said that. Nope, I wouldnt. I am a nice guy crazy boy. Even at forum user level :)

JeMar
12-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I didn't watch a ton of Roderick matches this last year. Can someone point me toward a Roderick match from 2011 that I can see that has big Roderick forehands?

Cup8489
12-25-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5-0yWwGdo&feature=related

too bad for Ferrero, he used to have great groundies too :(

Crazy man
12-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I have my reasons. Certainly nothing sinister.

Nah, it's cool. The Anime character in my avatar could suggest that, but unfortunately I live in England.

Hey what up crazy boy? No cartoon on tv today?

I don't watch cartoons. You could have said Manga or Anime instead because I do enjoy watching a little from time to time.

oooh did I say bad bad things about your guy? Love him much boy?
Honestly I didnt know it would **** you off like that or I wouldnt have said that. Nope, I wouldnt. I am a nice guy crazy boy. Even at forum user level :)

I'm sure you are a lovely person. I just called you out for being wrong, that's all.

adamX012
12-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Nah, it's cool. The Anime character in my avatar could suggest that, but unfortunately I live in England.

I don't watch cartoons. You could have said Manga or Anime instead because I do enjoy watching a little from time to time.

I'm sure you are a lovely person. I just called you out for being wrong, that's all.

I love Anime especially Japanese one...

Sentinel
12-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Are you Asian?
Crazy doesn't seem bright enough to be one :)

Chyeaah
12-26-2011, 01:45 AM

Just cause your jealous that his still smarter than you?

Sorry to add to the flame war. Stop.

LameTennisPlayer
12-26-2011, 02:33 AM
I love Anime especially Japanese one...

Anime is japanese Lol. It's like saying u like mitsubishi cars eps. the japanese ones hehe.

Chyeaah
12-26-2011, 02:38 AM
No im sorry your wrong. Anime is not strictly japanese, its originated in japan but the new Deltora Quest series and other english animes aren't from japan. }

I still wonder how Toyota is more reliable than Mitsubishi.

LameTennisPlayer
12-26-2011, 02:59 AM
No im sorry your wrong. Anime is not strictly japanese, its originated in japan but the new Deltora Quest series and other english animes aren't from japan. }

I still wonder how Toyota is more reliable than Mitsubishi.

?? The word Anime is a japanese word アニメ even though it's written in katakana it's roots are Japanese.

Chyeaah
12-26-2011, 03:02 AM
No i think he meant the actual japanese ones like FMA and Naruto, One Piece. The ******** american/european ones are really bad.

Edit - Sorry. Misunderstood. Im talking about the anime's and your talking about Anime the word.

Crazy man
12-26-2011, 05:31 AM

Wow, this is a low blow comming from someone with 17k posts. Get a life, at least my job requires intelligence, your job involves a forum, a few trolls and a few peripherals to post 24/7. Idiot.