PDA

View Full Version : Let USTA go after Sharapova, not after poor Bogomolov!

Marius_Hancu
12-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Pat Mac/USTA aren't finished:

--
I spoke with Patrick McEnroe who is in charge of player development for the USTA at the Australian Open Wildcard Playoff held last week in Atlanta, and a couple weeks after Bogomolov made his decision, McEnroe had much to say.

"He has received quite a bit of support, it's an ITF decision and at the USTA we are exploring our options," he stated. I'll leave it at that."

After saying that, he kept going.

"I certainly believe… I have no issue with Alex personally. From the USTA standpoint, he was born in Russia, he has family there, he should repay the USTA. He's actually signed something saying that and we'll see what happens."

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ycn-10742013
---

Idiots. Go after Sharapova, if you want. She's used as much, if not more, US tennis facilities. Do that, you cowards. That's where the money is. But you don't have the cojones to confront her and turn the slop onto your table.

Sharapova: $16,643,327 in 11 years, not to speak about endorsements, many from US companies.
Bogomolov: $1,257,874 in 10 years on the circuit.

The guy barely makes some money (long-term) and they are after him.

Both actions would be stupid, IMHO, but if you go for a stupid move, make the one that is more financially profitable. :-[

Ico
12-25-2011, 06:09 AM
Your Sharapova argument makes no sense.

Sanavan
12-25-2011, 06:56 AM
This thread makes no sense

Gimmick
12-25-2011, 07:57 AM
This thread is excellent and makes perfect sense.

forthegame
12-25-2011, 08:19 AM
TBH, not sure how different Bogo's case is from Sharapova's in that she received massive investment. Not sure if she ever relinquished her Russian citizenship though, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

However, the USTA should ask the Russian Federation to repay any monies they feel are due to them.

dirtballer
12-25-2011, 12:59 PM
The American money and assistance Sharapova received wasn't from the USTA. That's the difference.

klu375
12-25-2011, 01:32 PM
TBH, not sure how different Bogo's case is from Sharapova's in that she received massive investment. Not sure if she ever relinquished her Russian citizenship though, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

However, the USTA should ask the Russian Federation to repay any monies they feel are due to them.

Let's try to make this thread really excellent.
Russian top-50 player Ksenya Pervak just defected to play for Kazakhstan. Russian tennis federation is screaming about this even louder than PMAC as they supposedly also provided some support to her. If they recover some money from Kazakh then these money should go to the USA.

boredone3456
12-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I can sort of see this argument. Sharapova has been living in the US since she was 7, and received the majority of her formal tennis training here. She never renounced her Russian citizenship, which makes her eligible to play for Russia...but other than that she doesn't seem to have many ties to Russia. She trained in the US, received her tuition to the Bollettieri Tennis Academy from American company IMG, and currently has sponsorships from several other American based corporations. Even fellow Russian players have made comments insinuating she is more American then Russian. Now maybe technically the USTA didn't invest any money in her, but various American companies, academies, and different centers have. I however do not fault her for choosing to play for Russia, just as I never faulted Mary Pierce for eventually playing for France. But still, if they want to go after Bogo, why not just go after everyone who trains here and received $$ from American based companies but doesn't represent America. Yes, the idea of going after Sharapova is silly, but so is the idea of going after Bogo just because he wants to play Davis Cup and Russia offered him the chance that he was never going to get from the United States. I don't see the USTA screaming at Sharapova for all the money, training and whatever she received from the United States in general...they shouldn't be after Bogomolov either.

sportsfan1
12-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah, like the tennis writer Jon Wertheim of SI said, it wasn't like he was one of the top tier guys and was going to be selected to play DC for USA. So it shouldn't be a big deal :-?

tennis_balla
12-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Except Sharapova was never under the USTA and never received funding from them so not sure what you guys are on about? Sharapova trained at Bollettieri's, just like other foreign players do and receive funding either through their family, sponsors or IMG directly. If Sharapova was funded by USTA (which NEVER happened and why should it she's Russian) she wouldn't of grown up under Nick's guidance.

End of story.

forthegame
12-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys, I guess the USTA never "invested" in SHarapova so the comparison is moot.

Bobby Jr
12-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Your Sharapova argument makes no sense.
This ^.

Her parents and/or Bollettieri/IMG funded her coaching, not the USTA.

Likewise, suggesting there could be a clam to any of her sponsorship (whether or not they're American companies) makes no sense at all.

If she had some agreement with the USTA for some help they'd given her over the years (like Bogomolov) then yeah. Otherwise, no.

West Coast Ace
12-25-2011, 09:35 PM
The American money and assistance Sharapova received wasn't from the USTA. That's the difference.Thank you.

And couldn't she just buy the USTA? :)

MariaRafael
12-25-2011, 11:33 PM
USTA will be entitled to something, if there is a clause like "I shall not play for Russia under any circumstances" in its contract with Bogomolov. If there's no such clause, then Bogomolov is entitled to suing USTA's ***** in a court of law and get nice punitive damages from it.

joeri888
12-26-2011, 01:21 AM
America is so liberal, capitalistic and stuff.. so why go after anybody? If Russia offers Bogomolov more playing time and money? Than America should offer more

equinox
12-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Imho players owe nothing to national federations once they stop receiving coaching and support, that includes wildcards and team selections.

He represented usa for years and was treated like poor trash by pmac.

Imho ff they try and stop him from competing per signed contract, that's restraint earning an income from his job, which isn't legal.

In the end the lawyers will win and usta comes out looking even more petty and control freaky than music companies.

Kids get those contracts throughly looked over by sports lawyers, cost few hundred but could save you fortune in money and servitude.

boredone3456
12-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Except Sharapova was never under the USTA and never received funding from them so not sure what you guys are on about? Sharapova trained at Bollettieri's, just like other foreign players do and receive funding either through their family, sponsors or IMG directly. If Sharapova was funded by USTA (which NEVER happened and why should it she's Russian) she wouldn't of grown up under Nick's guidance.

End of story.

Well Bogo is Russian as well and yet he received funds from the USTA because he came here and chose to play for America. Sharapova could have come here and ended up taking the same route and chosen to play for America, she just didn't. She did benefit from a lot of American $$ though, just as Bogo did, it just didn't come from the USTA. However it is stupid to be going after either of these players. Going after Sharapova would be dumb as countries can invest in whatever and who-ever they want. The USTA chose to invest in Bogo, however he didn't benefit that much from it in comparison to other players. Now he is nearing 30, and wants a shot to play Davis Cup. The USA was never going to give him that chance, Russia offered it to him. I do not blame him for taking it. The USTA is just being stupid. Maybe they think he will be a threat, or he'll give US coaching secrets to Russia or something...but really...financially punishing him for increasing his opportunities to play by going to another country...thats stupid. If the roles were reversed and Bogo was playing for Russia and wanted to switch, the USA would raise a huge stink if russia tried to do what the USA is now doing. Its plain immature.

li0scc0
12-26-2011, 12:26 PM

End of story.

This should have ended this thread. Exactly, end of story.