PDA

View Full Version : what it takes to hit a shot

topspin64
12-26-2011, 01:27 PM
After hitting one day, my friend and I were discussing all the information our brain uses just to make a single, simple forehand shot during a rally. So I thought I'd see how many different responses I'd get. For example, your brain has to consider the speed of the ball coming at you. Another might be how close your body is to the ball. Please add.

GoSurfBoy
12-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Tennis psych' Allen Fox says we make "between 1500 and 2500 decisions per match".

Talk about 'overload'....

LameTennisPlayer
12-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Two words- Muscle Memory. After repeating a specific action over time your brain doesn't have to consciously think of how to replicate that action. Consider table tennis, your brain doesn't have time to make a conscious decision and alot of shots are made re-actively but the execution on how to perform that shot is due to muscle memory like tennis.

thug the bunny
12-27-2011, 05:47 AM
I have often tought about this question in relation to 'seeing' the ball well. I almost feel like my brain is a central command post, like a war room with monitors and computers all over the place. Here is a play by play of a frame shot:

- Ball incoming sir.

- Roger that. Keep tracking.

- Medium trajectory and pace, looks like healthy topspin sir.

- Roger. Legs, get in position for forehand. Arm and shoulders, pull racket back.

- Ball just bounced sir. Looks like it will be about waist high.

- Excellent. Get ready for a hard topspin hit into the ad corner. Track the ball.

- Here it comes sir....wait, we lost it!

- What happened?

- It seems the eyes moved sir! We are receiving fuzzy images of the opponent.

- What?! Who told them to do that?! Where is the ball??? Damn it, where is it?!?!?!

- Last known location was 3 feet in front of the body sir..

- *****...arrrgh.....alright, swing NOW!!!!!!

- Sir! The hands and arms are reporting jolting data of a frame hit!

slice bh compliment
12-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Hhaha, nice little conversational flow chart there^

There's:
spin, speed, direction, height, location of bounce, location of contact point, location of opponent, direction opponent is moving, tendencies...
where to hit this particular ball, with which spin, how much spin, which direction, height, speed, location, etc.

Read next shot, rinse and repeat.

I'm sure there's more, but that was just me visualizing a shot. Way more thinking than it seems! I just like to go play.

Cindysphinx
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Please add in some stray thoughts about how my [fill in the blank] hurts.

Thank you.

gregor.b
12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I have often tought about this question in relation to 'seeing' the ball well. I almost feel like my brain is a central command post, like a war room with monitors and computers all over the place. Here is a play by play of a frame shot:

- Ball incoming sir.

- Roger that. Keep tracking.

- Medium trajectory and pace, looks like healthy topspin sir.

- Roger. Legs, get in position for forehand. Arm and shoulders, pull racket back.

- Ball just bounced sir. Looks like it will be about waist high.

- Excellent. Get ready for a hard topspin hit into the ad corner. Track the ball.

- Here it comes sir....wait, we lost it!

- What happened?

- It seems the eyes moved sir! We are receiving fuzzy images of the opponent.

- What?! Who told them to do that?! Where is the ball??? Damn it, where is it?!?!?!

- Last known location was 3 feet in front of the body sir..

- *****...arrrgh.....alright, swing NOW!!!!!!

- Sir! The hands and arms are reporting jolting data of a frame hit!
Roger that! That being said,apparently, the more often you do it the less you have to consciously think about it.

LameTennisPlayer
12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Roger that! That being said,apparently, the more often you do it the less you have to consciously think about it.

hehehe oh yea?! well the more I do it, the more I consciously still think about it lol....:):lol::D