PDA

View Full Version : Missing Extra Something

OddJack
12-26-2011, 04:29 PM
El Pais interview. What he says make me feel bad for the guy.
I am beginning to think he will have a sad retirement when it happens.

MADRID: Rafael Nadal says his game this year has been too predictable and he has sometimes lacked drive on court — weaknesses he plans to overcome for Wimbledon and the 2012 Olympics.
“With the years, you lose a bit of intensity. Intensity in your self-belief, concentration, being positive, believing things will go well — those are in the mind. With the years you lose that a bit,” he told the Spanish daily El Pais in an interview published yesterday.
The 25-year-old world number two led Spain to a fifth Davis Cup title in December and won the French Open this year.
But he lost in the Wimbledon and US Open finals to Novak Djokovic and surrendered his number one spot to the Serb as a result.
“My mind was good in the first half of the year, not perfect because I needed a bit more in the games against Djokovic. But it was fine,” he told the paper. “I have started to work, fight again.. but clearly I lacked a bit in my level of tennis. When you have it, your mind responds better. I have needed to be less predictable playing. I have been too predictable many times during the season,” Nadal said.
“Those are things that I have to recover for 2012.”
Nadal said he had to play more inside the court to overwhelm his opponents and take control instead of letting them dictate matches.
“In 2011 there have been moments where I have lacked an extra something,” he said.”
The Spaniard said he had a good 2011 overall but felt he was “bad” towards the end of the year and “very bad” when he crashed out of the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. — AFP

Read more: http://www.theborneopost.com/2011/12/27/nadal-looks-to-recover-extra-spark-in-2012/#ixzz1hh5sYs8c

OddJack
12-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Don't let his sweet, humble exterior fool you. He is the worst human being since Hitler.

Thanks for the tip but I cant help it. My big heart is susceptible to any type of human or animal agony. Even Stepanek could bring tears to my eyes.
I would really like to see Hitler's mustache on Nadal though. That could lift my mood a little bit.

slice bh compliment
12-26-2011, 05:29 PM
I usually don't make light of Hilter, but since his name has become an inexorable part of this thread...

We've got to make the 'Hitler finds out Rafa is not really that humble' video.

"Every one of you who did not "like' him on Facebook and join the campaign to get Rafa to play an exo at my birthday party just get out of this room right now!"

stringertom
12-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Don't let his sweet, humble exterior fool you. He is the worst human being since Hitler.

I thought that title was reserved for Daniel Kholera.

TennisFan3
12-26-2011, 06:33 PM

MADRID: Rafael Nadal says his game this year has been too predictable and he has sometimes lacked drive on court — weaknesses he plans to overcome for Wimbledon and the 2012 Olympics.
“With the years, you lose a bit of intensity. Intensity in your self-belief, concentration, being positive, believing things will go well — those are in the mind. With the years you lose that a bit,” he told the Spanish daily El Pais in an interview published yesterday.
The 25-year-old world number two led Spain to a fifth Davis Cup title in December and won the French Open this year.
But he lost in the Wimbledon and US Open finals to Novak Djokovic and surrendered his number one spot to the Serb as a result.
“My mind was good in the first half of the year, not perfect because I needed a bit more in the games against Djokovic. But it was fine,” he told the paper. “I have started to work, fight again.. but clearly I lacked a bit in my level of tennis. When you have it, your mind responds better. I have needed to be less predictable playing. I have been too predictable many times during the season,” Nadal said.
Nadal said he had to play more inside the court to overwhelm his opponents and take control instead of letting them dictate matches.
“In 2011 there have been moments where I have lacked an extra something,” he said.”
The Spaniard said he had a good 2011 overall but felt he was “bad” towards the end of the year and “very bad” when he crashed out of the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. — AFP

Read more: http://www.theborneopost.com/2011/12/27/nadal-looks-to-recover-extra-spark-in-2012/#ixzz1hh5sYs8c

Good post. Thanks for sharing.

Again more talk for Nadal. Maybe he can let his racquet (as opposed to his mouth) do the talking in the near future.

He needs to work smart not hard. There needs to be a new strategy (with change in tactics, equipment and the like). Otherwise 2012 could be a lot worse than 2011.

The way the UsOpen final went, unless he changes something, Nadal might not get close to winning a set, next time he meets Djoko.

vernonbc
12-27-2011, 02:54 AM
There is far more to the interview than the little bit excerpted here. Rafa shows a great deal of self-awareness and intelligence and for you to say he'll have a sad retirement is so far off the mark it's crazy. He'll also have a good and successful 2012 if he's healthy. Count on it.

cc0509
12-27-2011, 03:08 AM
Implying your rival was beating you the whole year because your level of play/mental strength was "lacking" is humble and sweet?

LOL.....................

Sentinel
12-27-2011, 04:57 AM
I was saying this from the beginning of the year, that Rafa was missing that something, but even the Rafans laughed me out.

OddJack
12-27-2011, 05:01 AM
I was saying this from the beginning of the year, that Rafa was missing that something, but even the Rafans laughed me out.

But you were talking about two things.

Sentinel
12-27-2011, 05:11 AM
But you were talking about two things.
IIRC, I said either he's overtrained or mentally burned out. IF its overtraining, he can rest and get it back. (Overtraining used to be a pretty common thing in sporting circles and I presume it still is.)

If its a mental burnout, then I am not so sure.

DRII
12-27-2011, 05:43 AM

Given your own long, lamenting, and somewhat self-pitying posts; i am surprised you would dare take offense to what Nadal has said here or how he said it :confused:

Pot calling the kettle black, much?

BTW, he happens to be spot on!

DRII
12-27-2011, 05:52 AM

You are fast approaching a level of ridiculousness that you may never recover!

So, now you would like those of us who pay attention to believe that you felt Nadal was missing something this year; as in he was not playing quite as well.

But, then you jump on the 'data' dogs' bandwagon; claiming Nadal is playing the best tennis of his career and the results 'prove' it :confused:

When hypocrisy turns to out and out two-facedness, there is definitely a problem!

DRII
12-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by zagor
Implying your rival was beating you the whole year because your level of play/mental strength was "lacking" is humble and sweet?

Right, i guess it would be better to make condescending and aloof remarks towards your opponents when you lose.

Or better yet maybe one should pose in a picture with a gun pointed at your head with some crude remarks about an opponent in the caption and post it on twitter. That's much more appropriate!

joeri888
12-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Rafael Nadal doesn't love tennis, the way he should love it. It gave him everything

zagor
12-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Right, i guess it would be better to make condescending and aloof remarks towards your opponents when you lose.

I didn't say that now, did I ? I don't have a preference either way but I definitely don't consider Nadal to be "sweet" and "humble", he's a top athlete with a huge ego that blames the majority of his losses on various things other than the fact that his opponent played better.

And yes Federer(my favourite player of all time)is about the same with some differences.

Or better yet maybe one should pose in a picture with a gun pointed at your head with some crude remarks about an opponent in the caption and post it on twitter. That's much more appropriate!

Janko posted that picture on twitter not Novak.

aphex
12-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Rafael Nadal doesn't love tennis, the way he should love it. It gave him everything

Its not surprising. The nadal has been paraded around like a circus monkey his whole life by his demented Tio.

Imagine the humiliation he felt when Tio convinced him he knew the scores of tennis matches beforehand and everybody was laughing at the small, simple minded rafito...
Surely in some corner of his brain (not that there are many), he has connected his hate of Tio with the sport.

joeri888
12-29-2011, 02:04 AM
I didn't say that now, did I ? I don't have a preference either way but I definitely don't consider Nadal to be "sweet" and "humble", he's a top athlete with a huge ego that blames the majority of his losses on various things other than the fact that his opponent played better.

And yes Federer(my favourite player of all time)is about the same with some differences.

Janko posted that picture on twitter not Novak.

Federer and Nadal both are so good because of their confidence. They are quite likeable if you compare them to the Christiano Ronaldo's, Xavi's and Rooney's of this world, not even talking about the Schumacher's and Kobe Bryants.. Every great athlete as an ego and a huge selfconfidence. The point is that indeed a lot of Nadal fans are always talking about how Nadal is so sweet and humble etc. He has class, the same way Federer has class, but they are not humble by any means.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Given your own long, lamenting, and somewhat self-pitying posts; i am surprised you would dare take offense to what Nadal has said here or how he said it :confused:

Pot calling the kettle black, much?

BTW, he happens to be spot on!

My post are lamenting and somewhat self-pitying to someone with no sense of humor or who does not get right the first time.

And what is it that he is spot on? That he is predictable? I guess if Tushar from india knew last year that he goes to one side almost 100% of the time then yeah, you should congratulate him finally pointing that out.

Or maybe you refer to " missing extra something"? That's really spot on isnt it?

Let me help you a little bit here

I am missin extra.......

Fill the blank:

1-leg speed
2-mental strength
3-first serve
4-second serve
5-depth
6-knee health
7-hamstring
8-heat tolerance
9-choose your own
10-all of the above

See...that "something" is really spot on.

aphex
12-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Just want to add these to your excellent list:

11. Altitude tolerance
12. Efficient banana swallowing technique

SLD76
12-29-2011, 02:46 AM
13. hot plate avoidance

tusharlovesrafa
12-29-2011, 02:46 AM

11. Altitude tolerance
REPORTED...lemme login from my other accounts and troll you guys..

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 04:05 AM
You are fast approaching a level of ridiculousness that you may never recover!

So, now you would like those of us who pay attention to believe that you felt Nadal was missing something this year; as in he was not playing quite as well.

Thanks for providing some much needed comic relief to this forum.
I am honored that you deigned to respond to my prattle.

Vamos !

DRII
12-29-2011, 04:13 AM

11. Altitude tolerance

Yea,

I'm sure you've mastered #12.

Perhaps you should provide lessons...

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 04:13 AM
REPORTED...lemme login from my other accounts and troll you guys..
Come on, Tushy, stop this ... its holiday season. Chill.

----------
Let's look at it objectively. Rafa himself says he is "missing extra something". His words, not mine.

Extra means playing beyond 100%. His words clearly imply that he was only able to play at 100% and that 100% was not good enough to beat Nole. It was good enough for all the others, but not for Nole. For Nole, he needs that extra 110% or whatever. Sorry for repeating, but some people here are quite thick-skinned.

As far as "data dog" (whatever that means, lol) we have only data to go by, otherwise we could all be saying anything with nothing to back it but our hunches and premonitions and tea leaf readings.

Perhaps, you can create another category called "logic dogs" now :D

DRII
12-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Federer and Nadal both are so good because of their confidence. They are quite likeable if you compare them to the Christiano Ronaldo's, Xavi's and Rooney's of this world, not even talking about the Schumacher's and Kobe Bryants.. Every great athlete as an ego and a huge selfconfidence. The point is that indeed a lot of Nadal fans are always talking about how Nadal is so sweet and humble etc. He has class, the same way Federer has class, but they are not humble by any means.

I largely agree with what you're saying. Of course any world-class athlete that makes it to the top of their sport (especially an individual sport) must have a strong sense of self confidence bordering on arrogance.

But Nadal and Federer are not the same in how they express this, in other words they do not have the same sense of 'class'.

Nadal comes across more as one who did not expect to reach the pinnacle of his competitive enterprise yet is elated to have done so.

Federer acts as though he always expected to be the best and is only fulfilling his predetermined destiny.

One is more of diamond in the ruff emergence attitude vs. a crown jewel's birth rite-ascendant demeanor

passion vs pedigree

electricity vs elegance

Its a very good contrast of personality and style, and largely explains the affinity particular fans have for each...

DRII
12-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Come on, Tushy, stop this ... its holiday season. Chill.

----------
Let's look at it objectively. Rafa himself says he is "missing extra something". His words, not mine.

Extra means playing beyond 100%. His words clearly imply that he was only able to play at 100% and that 100% was not good enough to beat Nole. It was good enough for all the others, but not for Nole. For Nole, he needs that extra 110% or whatever. Sorry for repeating, but some people here are quite thick-skinned.

As far as "data dog" (whatever that means, lol) we have only data to go by, otherwise we could all be saying anything with nothing to back it but our hunches and premonitions and tea leaf readings.

Perhaps, you can create another category called "logic dogs" now :D

Nice avoidance of context to fit your argument! Definitely deserves a hand-clap...

First off, you know English is not Nadal's first language, so to take 3 of his words literally to bolster your argument is quite underhanded.

And most importantly, if you choose to avoid all qualitative analysis and only base your assessments on stats -- then that is your choice; a foolish choice but your prerogative none the less!

However, to support your specious 100% data position with a complete hypothetical (that Nadal would have won everything without Nole in 2011) is completely hypocritical! We have no idea what would have happened if Nole had not performed the way he did in 2011! To say otherwise is complete fiction or at best conjecture which you should totally disregard given your (and others') wayward 'data'-only presupposition.

aphex
12-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Yea,

I'm sure you've mastered #12.

Perhaps you should provide lessons...

You need lessons on how to swallow a banana?:oops:
Even Ralph has mastered this skill...
You must be a complete imbecile:oops::)

tusharlovesrafa
12-29-2011, 06:01 AM
You need lessons on how to swallow a banana?:oops:
Even Ralph has mastered this skill...
You must be a complete imbecile:oops::)

rEPORTED{{{{{

DRII
12-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I largely agree with what you're saying. Of course any world-class athlete that makes it to the top of their sport (especially an individual sport) must have a strong sense of self confidence bordering on arrogance.

But Nadal and Federer are not the same in how they express this, in other words they do not have the same sense of 'class'.

Nadal comes across more as one who did not expect to reach the pinnacle of his competitive enterprise yet is elated to have done so.

Federer acts as though he always expected to be the best and is only fulfilling his predetermined destiny.

One is more of diamond in the ruff emergence attitude vs. a crown jewel's birth rite-ascendant demeanor

passion vs pedigree

electricity vs elegance

Its a very good contrast of personality and style, and largely explains the affinity particular fans have for each...

double post?

OddJack
12-29-2011, 10:57 AM

passion vs pedigree

electricity vs elegance

double post?

Yeah ..I have heard these before.
I wonder where and when

nikdom
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
13. Parents' love life.

fed_rulz
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
My post are lamenting and somewhat self-pitying to someone with no sense of humor or who does not get right the first time.

And what is it that he is spot on? That he is predictable? I guess if Tushar from india knew last year that he goes to one side almost 100% of the time then yeah, you should congratulate him finally pointing that out.

Or maybe you refer to " missing extra something"? That's really spot on isnt it?

Let me help you a little bit here

I am missin extra.......

Fill the blank:

1-leg speed
2-mental strength
3-first serve
4-second serve
5-depth
6-knee health
7-hamstring
8-heat tolerance
9-choose your own
10-all of the above

See...that "something" is really spot on.

11. long underwear

OddJack
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
So diamond in the rough is supposed to get injured, or talk about it, or make announcements 2 months in advance while playing ATp events...

Got it. Thank you sir.

Have a good day.

DRII
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Truly odd, indeed...