PDA

View Full Version : Could the Big 4 soon become the Big 6?

Mike Sams
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Del Potro looks like he's ready to make a big climb in 2012 based on ATP website reports. We know he's infinitely more talented and has a bigger game than the likes of Ferrer, Fish, etc who are ahead of him in the rankings. And Tsonga seems to be coming into the new year with a whole different level of game, confidence and maturity.
If the top 4 do soon see the addition of Tsonga and Del Potro to round out the top 6 (Soderling and Davydenko unlikely will come back anytime soon), could it be even more difficult for Federer and Nadal to win Slams from here forward? And also making it even more difficult for Murray than it already is just to win his maiden Slam?
I can't imagine Nadal being able to go through Del Potro, Federer and Djokovic in succession to win the Australian Open, Wimbledon or the U.S Open. Although he may still have a chance at the French.
Also can't see Federer going through Tsonga, Djokovic and Nadal to win anything. This is just hypothetical situations but with the way things are looking, these scenarios in the draws may be very likely to happen....

tennis_pro
12-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Anything more than a top 2 (or top 3/top 4) is starting to turn into a strong field. Don't think Del Potro is ready, yet, though, while Tsonga (or whoever you thought would be in the strong top 6) is just not consistent enough.

Mike Sams
12-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Anything more than a top 2 (or top 3/top 4) is starting to turn into a strong field. Don't think Del Potro is ready, yet, though, while Tsonga (or whoever you thought would be in the strong top 6) is just not consistent enough.

Tsonga's eliminations in the last 2 Slams have been against somebody in the top 3. So he's become good enough to go deep enough to meet the top players and he's again finished in the top 8 for a second time. We probably need to pay a good amount of attention to him for the next little while.
Also think Del Potro is ready to make his push from number 11 to top 6 at the least. Seems like he's almost ready. I don't think it's going to take an entire season for him to finally begin beating players in the top 10 which will ultimately boost his confidence.

passive_aggressive
12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Nah, I reckon the big 3 (Murray? Lol) will shrink to the big 2 pretty fast. Maybe even the big 1 if Nadal gets the upper hand mentally on Djokovic, or the other-way round.

If their name isn't Nadal or Djokovic - they're not gonna be in any grand slam final for the next few years.

Equally, y'all better be liking your Nadal/Djokovic final match-ups because I predict that it will be these 2 duking out for every GS final until 2016.

If you're not Nadal or Djokovic you simply don't matter (very much) in tennis. That's the truth of it.

MariaRafael
12-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Del Potro looks like he's ready to make a big climb in 2012 based on ATP website reports.

From what I saw in Sevilla I wouldn't say so. He choked playing against Ferrer (was 2 sets up and lost all his advantage), and was thrashed by erratically playing Nadal in the third set and fourth set tiebreak (zero points won).

MariaRafael
12-27-2011, 12:20 AM
I can't imagine Nadal being able to go through Del Potro, Federer and Djokovic in succession to win the Australian Open, Wimbledon or the U.S Open. Although he may still have a chance at the French.
Also can't see Federer going through Tsonga, Djokovic and Nadal to win anything. This is just hypothetical situations but with the way things are looking, these scenarios in the draws may be very likely to happen....

Nadal-Federer: 17-9
Nadal Djokovic: 16-13
Nadal-Del Potro: 7-3
Nadal-Tsonga: 6-3

Federer-Djokovic: 14-10
Federer-Del Potro: 7-2
Federer-Tsonga: 8-3

Who will have problems?

Also Tsonga was declared the best thing after sliced bread in 2008. What has he achieved since that time? Occasional showing in top 10. I don't think he should be plased to Nadal or Federer even for comparative survey purposes.

batz
12-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Nah, I reckon the big 3 (Murray? Lol) will shrink to the big 2 pretty fast. Maybe even the big 1 if Nadal gets the upper hand mentally on Djokovic, or the other-way round.

If their name isn't Nadal or Djokovic - they're not gonna be in any grand slam final for the next few years.

Equally, y'all better be liking your Nadal/Djokovic final match-ups because I predict that it will be these 2 duking out for every GS final until 2016.

If you're not Nadal or Djokovic you simply don't matter (very much) in tennis. That's the truth of it.

Mongoe like candy?

Sentinel
12-27-2011, 12:39 AM

Excellent post, Sir.

Once Nadal recovers his mental strength, he'll annihilate the entire field, dropping nary a set, and once again be in the 10000+ points range, while the others will be struggling for crumbs from Rafa's table.

So right, only Nadal matters, he sells the tickets, the seats are empty when Joker and Roger play (except for their teams).

Mainad
12-27-2011, 07:45 AM
If Del Potro can regain full fitness then he will be a shoo-in for the top 6 but I'm not yet convinced that he can do this.

Ditto for Tsonga only substitute the word 'consistency' for fitness.

I suspect the top 4 will be in business for a little while longer.

Cup8489
12-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Nadal-Federer: 17-9
Nadal Djokovic: 16-13
Nadal-Del Potro: 7-3
Nadal-Tsonga: 6-3

Federer-Djokovic: 14-10
Federer-Del Potro: 7-2
Federer-Tsonga: 8-3

Who will have problems?

Also Tsonga was declared the best thing after sliced bread in 2008. What has he achieved since that time? Occasional showing in top 10. I don't think he should be plased to Nadal or Federer even for comparative survey purposes.

lifetime results don't matter so much. Djokovic has Nadal's number, and Nadal has not looked good outside of clay for 4 months now. If he doesn't get his confidence back soon, he may become irrelevant.

And Tsonga is becoming a slam contender whether you like it or not. He's made it deep into his last 5 tournaments, and hasn't looked unhealthy at all.

Frankenstine
12-27-2011, 08:23 AM
It'll be the big 5 with Del Potro, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray. In that order, that will be the year end rankings for 2012 (if we survive the apocalypse). And Cilic will break into the top 10!

GOAT BAAH!!!
12-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Yes. But it will only be the transitional big 6.

Sentinel
12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Yes. But it will only be the transitional big 6.
LOL, again, Sir !

li0scc0
12-27-2011, 09:21 AM
It'll be the big 5 with Del Potro, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray. In that order, that will be the year end rankings for 2012 (if we survive the apocalypse). And Cilic will break into the top 10!

I don't see Del Potro in the Top 4 in 2012. If he makes a Major semifinal, that would be a huge victory for the DelPo camp.

jackson vile
01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Del Potro looks like he's ready to make a big climb in 2012 based on ATP website reports. We know he's infinitely more talented and has a bigger game than the likes of Ferrer, Fish, etc who are ahead of him in the rankings. And Tsonga seems to be coming into the new year with a whole different level of game, confidence and maturity.
If the top 4 do soon see the addition of Tsonga and Del Potro to round out the top 6 (Soderling and Davydenko unlikely will come back anytime soon), could it be even more difficult for Federer and Nadal to win Slams from here forward? And also making it even more difficult for Murray than it already is just to win his maiden Slam?

If he can get back healthy where he was then it is likely to happen, Delpo is just a beast on HC and is also amazing on clay.

Nathaniel_Near
01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Del Potro, Berdych, Dimitrov, Tomic, Tsonga, Ferrer and Nalbandian will rise as Roger, Rafa and Nole fall, thus creating the Massive Ten.

sdont
01-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Here's hoping it happens.

But I wouldn't bet anything on it.