PDA

View Full Version : Rainer Schuettler to Retire in 2012

hoosierbr
12-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Gotta give Rainer props - he's hung around a lot longer than most people thought he would and when everyone had written him off he made the SF at Wimbledon!

Nice guy too, met him at the US Open a few years back.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20111226/Schuettler_prepares_to_end_his_career_in_2012

Rock Strongo
12-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Sad to see him go, but I hated his guts after witnessing him beat Roddick after his awesome match with Younes (that match turned me into a Roddick fan) and then get completely destroyed by Agassi in the final.

Mustard
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Rainer has been battling on the tour since the mid-1990s. I remember him most for those wins over Nalbandian and Roddick as he reached the 2003 Australian Open final, another win over Roddick at the 2003 Masters Cup in Houston as he finished the year at world number 6. In 2004, he reached the final in Monte Carlo, losing to a peak Coria.

Later on, he had that famous run to the semi finals of 2008 Wimbledon, where he had an epic win over Clement, and gave Nadal a good match.

hoosierbr
12-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Later on, he had that famous run to the semi finals of 2008 Wimbledon, where he had an epic win over Clement, and gave Nadal a good match.

If I remember correctly b/c of the rain that week he had to play four days in a row going into the SF against Nadal. Even still he played pretty well.

Crazy man
12-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Rainer has been battling on the tour since the mid-1990s. I remember him most for those wins over Nalbandian and Roddick as he reached the 2003 Australian Open final, another win over Roddick at the 2003 Masters Cup in Houston as he finished the year at world number 6. In 2004, he reached the final in Monte Carlo, losing to a peak Coria.

In which Roddick was exhausted in both matches, I might add.

hoosierbr
12-27-2011, 03:37 PM
In which Roddick was exhausted in both matches, I might add.

Schuettler was a bad matchup for Roddick. He beat him 3 of the 4 times they played, all in 2003, the year Roddick became number 1. I think in large part it was because Schuettler had a good return of serve and had a handle on it before the other players caught up to it. Though not to compare them it's the same reason why Roddick was a bad matchup against Agassi or Federer, who had no trouble w/his serve.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=S636&oId=R485

Crazy man
12-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Schuettler was a bad matchup for Roddick. He beat him 3 of the 4 times they played, all in 2003, the year Roddick became number 1. I think in large part it was because Schuettler had a good return of serve and had a handle on it before the other players caught up to it. Though not to compare them it's the same reason why Roddick was a bad matchup against Agassi or Federer, who had no trouble w/his serve.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=S636&oId=R485

Disagree. Agassi managed to beat teen-Roddick a number of times. The other matches where both players were good (Queens and Cincinatti) were very tight affairs. No trouble? Yeah all right. I would like to point out that Federer actually didn't return Roddick's serve 24/7. Where Federer beat Roddick was Roddick's dumb-*** play when Federer did return the serve, Agassi didn't read Roddick's serve all that well.

Healthy Roddick without fatigue and a wrist injury would have beaten Schuettler, fair play for taking a set.

Other players caught up with it? Lol. Conversation terminated.