PDA

View Full Version : A little driving question

rufusbgood
12-27-2011, 07:04 PM
I came within a couple feet of hitting someone broadside as I was driving home from work today. Here's the scenario: I'm in the right hand lane approaching an intersection that is about 1-1/2 blocks away. It is raining and it is dark. The light up ahead is red. The left lane is backed up with cars who have a choice between continuing straight or getting into a left hand turning lane. The right lane is relatively clear. Most of the cars coming down this road are going to be making a left at this light. I am not. I have what I figure is a pretty clear path ahead of me in the right lane. Then suddenly, a woman in a sport utility vehicle decides she's had enough of the left lane, pulls out in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes. I come to a skidding stop missing her by about 3 ft. She, BTW, has a phone to her ear. Collision averted though.

Here are my questions: If my sudden stop had caused the car behind me to crash into me and the woman in the SUV had been oblivious enough and absorbed enough in her phone call to blithely continue on her way when the light turned green, is she guilty of a crime, like leaving the scene of an accident? And would the cops be interested in her license plate number? Would you consider getting out of the car in a situation like this and insist she stay even though her vehicle is undamaged? And for the folks who are old enough to remember W.C. Fields, would you smack into her just to keep her from leaving?

Maui19
12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I believe the only person at fault here would be the person behind you (and who had crashed into you), who would be cited for following too closely.

El Diablo
12-27-2011, 07:30 PM
The woman in the SUV made no contact with another car; she is free to go and has no legal obligation here. A driver who hits someone from behind is virtually always considered responsible for an accident (which matters less and less in no-fault jurisdictions, but he can still be sued.)

SoBad
12-27-2011, 07:48 PM
would you smack into her just to keep her from leaving?

Driving into a car to prevent it from leaving the scene of an accident sounds like a great idea, but you need to think out of the box in these tough situations. Maybe keep a handgun handy, so you can shoot her tires instead - that way you could also shoot the tires of any other cars nearby whose occupants might be of potential value as witnesses to you. Not to mention the people that you wouldn't want to be witnesses. Sounds like you are not a savvy driver yet, but are taking steps in the right direction. Happy holidays.

zapvor
12-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Driving into a car to prevent it from leaving the scene of an accident sounds like a great idea, but you need to think out of the box in these tough situations. Maybe keep a handgun handy, so you can shoot her tires instead - that way you could also shoot the tires of any other cars nearby whose occupants might be of potential value as witnesses to you. Not to mention the people that you wouldn't want to be witnesses. Sounds like you are not a savvy driver yet, but are taking steps in the right direction. Happy holidays.

classic sobad

ttbrowne
12-27-2011, 08:09 PM
... A driver who hits someone from behind is virtually always considered responsible for an accident (which matters less and less in no-fault jurisdictions, but he can still be sued.)

The truth. I was following a vehicle and she was making a turn the wrong way on a one-way street, slammed on her brakes right in the middle of the road. I hit her from behind. My fault.

r2473
12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Cell phones always have the right of way.

Cindysphinx
12-27-2011, 09:32 PM
When passing a long line of cars that are waiting for anything, someone will pull out in front of you about 48% of the time.

Next time, slow down, keep one hand on your horn, watch for cars with blinkers on, watch for cars leaving space in front of them so they can make a lane change, watch for jerks on cell phones.

rufusbgood
12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
The truth. I was following a vehicle and she was making a turn the wrong way on a one-way street, slammed on her brakes right in the middle of the road. I hit her from behind. My fault.

OMG

xxxxxxx

r2473
12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
watch for cars with blinkers on

Nice one. I thought this was a serious post at first :)

Bartelby
12-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Does anyone have any tips about fuel-economical driving?

Big_Dangerous
12-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Shoot the tires out? Who are you, Mel Gibson?

Big_Dangerous
12-28-2011, 12:53 AM

Keep your tires inflated properly, maintain your car as in get the oil changed regularly. Keep the overdrive engaged at all times, especially on the freeway.

Biggest one is to not drive like a maniac, no jack rabbit starts and stops. Also, I hear driving slower on the freeway like 55 or 60 compared to 70 helps as well. I chose to drive faster so I get home faster, though.

Fearsome Forehand
12-28-2011, 03:25 PM
She made an illegal lane change that caused an accident. She should have stayed. If she did that to a cop, she would be ticketed for failure to signal, etc. The person behind you is guilty of failure to maintain a safe distance. He/she will likely be ticketed for same. (The clear exception might be if the driver in front of another slammed on his brakes/suddenly stopped for no reason. In that case, an officer would have the discretion not to write a ticket. I have seen that happen.)

If you file an accident report, you should explain that the idiot woman on the phone caused the accident by making an illegal lane change. Depending on the PD involved, they may or may not cite her.

Since you have her license number, you can always hunt her down and kill her for spite. :) Or, just key the hell out of her car as a thank you. She is the type that probably causes accidents all day long.

If you are in a situation like that, you almost have to assume some a-hole is going to bolt the line so drive with all due caution.

gregor.b
12-28-2011, 03:28 PM
I came within a couple feet of hitting someone broadside as I was driving home from work today. Here's the scenario: I'm in the right hand lane approaching an intersection that is about 1-1/2 blocks away. It is raining and it is dark. The light up ahead is red. The left lane is backed up with cars who have a choice between continuing straight or getting into a left hand turning lane. The right lane is relatively clear. Most of the cars coming down this road are going to be making a left at this light. I am not. I have what I figure is a pretty clear path ahead of me in the right lane. Then suddenly, a woman in a sport utility vehicle decides she's had enough of the left lane, pulls out in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes. I come to a skidding stop missing her by about 3 ft. She, BTW, has a phone to her ear. Collision averted though.

Here are my questions: If my sudden stop had caused the car behind me to crash into me and the woman in the SUV had been oblivious enough and absorbed enough in her phone call to blithely continue on her way when the light turned green, is she guilty of a crime, like leaving the scene of an accident? And would the cops be interested in her license plate number? Would you consider getting out of the car in a situation like this and insist she stay even though her vehicle is undamaged? And for the folks who are old enough to remember W.C. Fields, would you smack into her just to keep her from leaving?

Mate, you are on the wrong side of the road. There's your problem.

Dave M
12-28-2011, 04:13 PM

dont use any type of SUV or American pickup, if you don't need one, I was recently shown by a chevrolet sales person in the Orlando area the "amazing fuel economy of a car" (forgot which one) that can achieve in her own words "an impressive 24 MPG".
Smooth gear changes, don't accelerate hard and only brake when you need to use the gearbox to help slow you down naturally will all save you money.

Dedans Penthouse
12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
^^^^
Inflate your tires with pure nitrogen. Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, CO2 and water vapor (and trace amounts of other gases, e.g. argon--let's forget about those 'traces' for now).

Nitrogen (unlike oxygen) is less likely to migrate through tire rubber resulting in greater tire pressure stability. Also, water (water vapor) is not a good thing inside tires. Water has a greater effect on tire pressure during temperature swings and can also contribute to internal corrosion of steel or aluminum rims. Further, most service stations do not do a spotless job of keeping "humidity" out of their 'air' systems.

Nitrogen, by keeping tire pressure more constant results in slightly better gas mileage.

jswinf
12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
When passing a long line of cars that are waiting for anything, someone will pull out in front of you about 48% of the time.

Next time, slow down, keep one hand on your horn, watch for cars with blinkers on, watch for cars leaving space in front of them so they can make a lane change, watch for jerks on cell phones.

Good advice by the Sphinxer. The lane-changing lady is at fault but unlikely to be called on it legally. Whenever you're zipping by a lane of unmoving cars thinking "sucks to be you guys"...well, less zip, more caution.

adamX012
12-30-2011, 09:01 PM
I am using Nitrogen tires for three years. so far so good..

Sentinel
12-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Nitrogen tires ??

I use halogen tires, are they any good