PDA

View Full Version : Kicking Verizon To The Curb

Cindysphinx
12-28-2011, 06:24 AM
OK, it's time to switch, and I need your help.

I've been with Verizon for TV/Internet/Phone for years. It's been OK. But the bill is too high ($165/month!) for one phone line, slowest internet speed, four TV boxes including whole house DVR. Then Verizon dropped the Tennis Channel smack dab in the middle of the US Open, which is unforgivable, and they still don't have Tennis Channel.

I can go to Direct TV or Comcast.

If I went with Direct TV, my phone and internet would remain with Verizon, which is nice because then I can keep my email addresses. But Direct TV requires a two-year contract, and I am not a fan of those things.

The big problem is Direct TV will come to my house and put a pole in my back yard with a dish on it -- which I really don't think I will like. If I can see it, I will be unhappy. If the neighbors can see it, they will be unhappy. This is not a neighborhood where folks put satellite dishes in their yards -- I cannot even think of when I last saw a satellite dish. If I install a dish with a 2-year contract and the neighbors complain, then what?

Or I can go with Comcast. They enraged me a few years back, so I yanked my business vowing never to return. I do not like the idea of crawling back to them now. They have no 2-year contract, but they do have an installation charge of $70, which is annoying.

Can anyone opine? How bad is the dish-in-the-back-yard thing?

djokovicgonzalez2010
12-28-2011, 06:26 AM
DirecTV. Incredible service, great tennis coverage (Of course, the real #1 reason to get DirecTV is this (http://sportsvideo.org/main/usopen2011/files/2011/09/DirecTXscreenshot.jpg))
Comcast is awful

Cindysphinx
12-28-2011, 06:32 AM
How's the dish?

djokovicgonzalez2010
12-28-2011, 06:36 AM
It's on the roof where it's not really visible. The biggest problem is it'll go out in a big storm. Which invariably happen on big points in Grand Slams. From what I can tell, there are more outages than cable, but signal returns as soon as storm clears out, so much shorter

Kevin T
12-28-2011, 06:41 AM
I have DirecTV and probably live in a similar neighborhood with similar neighbors and similar concerns about a dish/appearances. Almost everyone has a DirecTV dish but all are discreet. Mine is connected to the side of the house, just under the roof line. It can only be seen from the back yard (unless you're really looking for it), as a tree hides it in the front and on the side.

DirecTV service is top notch. We've been through some pretty tough weather and in two years, service has never gone out. The multi-court coverage during tennis events (also golf, rugby, etc., if interested) is fantastic. Like you, I've had issues with Comcast and would never go back. The only cable system I've ever been satisfied with is Cox (Time Warner was dreadful, even worse than Comcast). No land line, so no worries there. I have no choice but to go through Comcast for Inet, but oh well. :) I'm out of the whole rebate/new customer deals. I have an all-inclusive package with a sports pack (includes regional stations), two HD DVRs and HBO and my monthly bill is ~$103. During the first year, my bill as <$75 with rebates.

Cindysphinx
12-28-2011, 06:51 AM
It's maddening, it really is.

I called Verizon to see what their charges are if I drop TV but keep internet and landline. They want $90 for the slowest internet speed and their cheapest phone package.

If I drop the landline completely, then they want $70 for just slow internet.

It's infuriating when they advertise "TRIPLE PLAY FOR $99 A MONTH!!" and then they won't give me anything like that deal.

I'll call Direct TV again. I think they said they have third-party suppliers who can do the internet and phone portions of it.

mikeler
12-28-2011, 06:57 AM
It's on the roof where it's not really visible. The biggest problem is it'll go out in a big storm. Which invariably happen on big points in Grand Slams. From what I can tell, there are more outages than cable, but signal returns as soon as storm clears out, so much shorter

Living in the thunderstorm capital of the world, I was leery about getting DirecTV. In the heaviest storms, I lose the HD channels but the SD channels still come through which is good enough for me. Can't beat the Grand Slam coverage on DirecTV. I had a new born 3 years ago during the Australian Open and I didn't mind being woken up in the middle of the night with 5 matches to watch. :)

esgee48
12-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Do you get ATT U-Verse? Their package deal includes all 3 services you currently have.

BTW, telephone numbers are portable, so changing telecom vendors should not be based on keeping the old phone numbers. You can also change all your email addresses to gmail, hotmail or ymail once, then not have to worry about people losing your new email address. Gmail and hotmail support email clients, so I know a lot of people use them.

thug the bunny
12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
IMO Comcast may actually be the Worst Company in the World. You know a company sucks when they launch an ad campaign declaring their new-found dedication to customer service to try and mitigate the rage that people have with them.

I have my dish on my roof, but as others said, I have seen dishes mounted on the sides of condos and townhouses, as long as you have line of sight to the southern sky. I recently upgraded to their premium package so I could get TC for only about $5/month more than basic.

One cool thing about them is once in a while I forget to pay my bill and my service gets suspended and I just go online, pay (no late fees), and service turns on again instantly. This really beats having to call Comcast to have some surly rep telling you 'aw, that's too bad, now leave me alone and go pound sand'.

hollywood9826
12-28-2011, 08:07 AM
You really wont see the dish in the backyard thing anymore. They usually get installed on the roof in an fairly inconspicuous place. Or under the roof. They are pretty small now so shouldnt really present an issue.

I actually would recommend the location like Kevin is talking about. I dont like the idea of holes in the roof. It doesnt take much for water to get there and if you decide you dont want it anymore it would be easier to remove. Thats why installing it on the eave is the way to go IMO.

http://www.cpssystems.net/images/satelite.jpg

As far as the internet and phone through Direct-TV go, they partner with companies to provide that service in thier bundle. The first thing they will try to do is probably get you to use Verizon for Internet and Phone as Verizon is a large partner of Direct-Tv and you are in Verizons area. So your slow internet will remain your slow internet I'm assuming your not in Fios area yet.

I think they go through WildBlue now if a dish needs to be used for Internet. At which point becasue WildBlue is using a different band they probably have to install another dish. But, I'm not sure if thats still the case. Speed is probably slower than DSL for the base plan which gets you 512DL speed and 128UL speed with a 7.5GB DL and 2.3GB UL monthly limit before they nerf your speed even more at 128DL and 28UL.

Not sure how Direct TV would do phone if you dont want to use verizon. You would probably not get phone through them and go with Vonage or something.

Up here in Havre de Grace my only option right now are Dish (directTV and Dish network) or Comcast. Ive never had any problems with Comcast besides having to call them once a year to get them to hook me up with another package deal.

When I check verizon I cant even get DSL though them, but they will let me package phone with Direct TV.

Dream_On
12-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I would get AT&T U-verse, I got it in america and even though the internet speed was **** for a while it was fine before Christmas. I cant imagine there being too much of a problem with storms cutting it out using a dish though, in the uk I use sky digital and it very rarely fails me.

Cindysphinx
12-28-2011, 09:20 AM
I guess I will try Direct TV. They can get me TC and Golf Channel. All four TVs will be HD. Whole house DVR. All for less than I am currently paying.

They swear they can put the dish in the bushes or someplace inconspicuous. When they show up, I will demand that they show me the location before they start unhooking stuff.

The internet is Clear-something mobile 4G. Mr. Sphinx said that should be OK.

hollywood9826
12-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I guess I will try Direct TV. They can get me TC and Golf Channel. All four TVs will be HD. Whole house DVR. All for less than I am currently paying.

They swear they can put the dish in the bushes or someplace inconspicuous. When they show up, I will demand that they show me the location before they start unhooking stuff.

The internet is Clear-something mobile 4G. Mr. Sphinx said that should be OK.

Be careful of putting it in the bushes. If they grow and the wind blows they could interrupt your connection. But if you keep those bushes trimmed it shouldnt present a problem.

Do you currently have sprint coverage for you wireless phone with 4G or do any of your neighbors or someone you know? Sprints 4G coverage actually runs on Clearwire's network so that would be a way to know if ther service is good or not. Still will not be as fast as cable but should beat DSL.

Seth
12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
DirecTV is the real deal. Grand Slam Mix channels are incredible. I've had cable, Dish Network, and DirecTV over the years, and DirecTV is by far the best.

I would also recommend sending a letter to your neighbors reminding them that there are far more important things to worry about than a damn two-foot satellite.

Just (sort of) kidding.

mikeler
12-28-2011, 10:59 AM
My dish is on the roof but you can't see it from the street due to a few large trees. In hindsight, I would have had them install it as Hollywood suggested. No need to be deliberately putting holes in a roof but so far it has not caused any problems.

Fifth Set
12-28-2011, 12:18 PM
DirecTV is by far the best option.

A couple tips on the dish business:

1. Do not listen to the moron who wants to put the dish on a pole in the yard. If the dish can find the southern sky from the yard, it can find it from an inconspicuous spot on the eaves of the back or side roof. If he insists, call corporate and ask for another installer. Do not relent on this.

2. Pay the extra $ for the heavy duty dish installation brackets. They charged me me about $80. Keep a close eye on the installer to make sure each piece of the bracket is securely attached to the eaves. Without this, there is greater risk of outages in windy weather. These outages can be a pain in the butt. Wind used to knock my disk out of alignment to a point of requiring a service visit. This cost more $ unless you buy the warranty. And, of course, it will happen during the Australian Open (2nd week, probably!). Avoid the whole mess with the heavy duty brackets - I haven't had ANY problems since I got them.

Maui19
12-28-2011, 01:30 PM
CS, I just went through what you are doing. I am incredibly happy with DTV service--I wish I had switched years ago. I got MUCH more and cut my bill by about $90/month. Here's my advice, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it:

1) Don't bundle services, because you lose all three when you have a service interruption.

2) My Comcast service where I used to live was awesome. Down here in SC, Time Warner is indescribably bad. The people are very nice, but worthless. I switched to DirecTV and it is just plain awesome. The picture is better. The guide is better. The apps are better. The customer service is better. The documentation is better. And the price is WAY better.

3) Your DTV installer could be great or worthless. If you get an installer that thinks the best place to put the dish is in the middle of the front yard, then get another installer. Many will want to put it in a visible location in the yard. I don't think you'll have any problem saying no to a bad location, but make sure you get what you want.

4) Make sure you are getting the current best deals, which usually involve rebates and other promos. Your price will go up in year two, but your average price over the two years will be a bargain compared to cable.

5) Use the online guide. It is a very helpful way to select programs to watch and record--moreso than the guid on TV.

6) The smartphone apps are awesome. I have the NFL package, and have watched games while riding in the car, etc. The package was free for me this year.

Bottom line: do it.

P.S. "Rain fade" is an issue. I haven't seen it yet, but my friends have.

Fearsome Forehand
12-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Look at Dish Network, too.

The dishes aren't that big. Not like the huge ones they use to have 20 years ago. They might be 2 feet across. Usually beige or gray in color, not that bad and are commonplace now.

The wind brackets sound like a good idea. If you draw a good installer, it is a fairly painless process.

Would think your best price is whatever bundle deal you can get from Verizon. You might have to cancel your existing service to get the best price.

zapvor
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM

I've been with Verizon for TV/Internet/Phone for years. It's been OK. But the bill is too high ($165/month!) for one phone line, slowest internet speed, four TV boxes including whole house DVR. Then Verizon dropped the Tennis Channel smack dab in the middle of the US Open, which is unforgivable, and they still don't have Tennis Channel.

If I went with Direct TV, my phone and internet would remain with Verizon, which is nice because then I can keep my email addresses. But Direct TV requires a two-year contract, and I am not a fan of those things.

The big problem is Direct TV will come to my house and put a pole in my back yard with a dish on it -- which I really don't think I will like. If I can see it, I will be unhappy. If the neighbors can see it, they will be unhappy. This is not a neighborhood where folks put satellite dishes in their yards -- I cannot even think of when I last saw a satellite dish. If I install a dish with a 2-year contract and the neighbors complain, then what?

Or I can go with Comcast. They enraged me a few years back, so I yanked my business vowing never to return. I do not like the idea of crawling back to them now. They have no 2-year contract, but they do have an installation charge of $70, which is annoying.

i just switched to verizon! i was hoping we can get unlimited mobile to mobile calls;)

hollywood9826
12-29-2011, 07:59 AM
i just switched to verizon! i was hoping we can get unlimited mobile to mobile calls;)

Did you read what you quoted? Or you too busy remebering that Ping pong whooppin I gave you.

West Coast Ace
12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
DirecTV is the real deal. Grand Slam Mix channels are incredible.+1,000. Hard to put a value on being able to watch the better early round matches.

The iPhone app for programming the DVR when away from the house is great too.

Cindysphinx
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
OK, I did it. I think.

DirectTv is is about $70/month. Then I'm getting Internet/phone from Comcast for an additional $45/month.

So I think I am saving about $40 over Verizon Fios and I get TC and HD on all of my TVs. I think they waived all of the installation charges, but Comcast would only come down on the activation fee by 50% (so $14). No long-term Comcast contract, so that's OK.

The DirectTV vendor who tried to sell me internet and phone was a jerk. I told him from the outset that I had limited time to discuss things with him. When it was time for me to jump in the car, I told him time was up. He wouldn't take "I'm backing out of my driveway, so this conversation has to end" for an answer. So I had to hang up on him. He called me back, can you believe it? I ignored the call.

The DirectTV guy comes on Monday. I hope this goes well. I declined their offers to buy insurance and other attempts to up-sell me. If anything goes wrong, I will not need the insurance because I will instead scream my head off.

That usually works.

j00dypoo
12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
I've had directv, dish network, charter, and comcast. Comcast was BY FAR AND LARGE the only tolerable of the group.

Dish services were absolutely horrendous. Slight wind, slight cloud coverage, rain, any storm... any slightest thing and our picture went out. We had heavy duty brackets and 2 dishes installed on our roof for both dish services and that still do not help out. Plus the picture quality was crappy compared to digital cable.

Now with Comcast we have flawless service. Never goes out. Customer service is actually really good too. Only problem is it's way overpriced. I'm probably going to cancel all TV service and never have it again. I don't need TV anymore.

Good luck with your dish. Hope you don't have any of the problems I do.

Cindysphinx
12-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Verizon Fios was awesome. Never had a problem, ever.

Then they dropped TC. I will go to my grave not understanding why that problem couldn't be resolved.

West Coast Ace
12-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Comcast was BY FAR AND LARGE the only tolerable of the group.You must work for Comcast. They are almost as hated as AT&T. And when did you have a dish? I've had DirecTV for over 10 yrs and only had 3 weather related outages - and we do get big winds/rains near the coast.

Then they dropped TC. I will go to my grave not understanding why that problem couldn't be resolved.Big egos. The providers want to package channels as they see fit. The owners of the channel want to get to the biggest audience, thus they want to be part of the basic package. Thank goodness Steve is no longer head of TC - it would be out of business by now.

j00dypoo
12-29-2011, 06:51 PM
No. I do not work for comcast.

I'm talking out of personal experience with all the other providers, bar AT&T. AT&T Uverse for some reason is still not available in my neighborhood, but it's available a few houses down in an adjacent neighborhood. Their regular packages are crap so I never bothered to use them.

Let's see... I had dish network back around 2004-5. DirecTV after that for a year. Been with comcast ever since and while I do not like the higher prices, their internet and tv have been stellar. Any time I call their center they are always nice and patient with any problems that incur.

Nellie
12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Verizon lowered my rate to the intro price when I called and threatened to quit.

hollywood9826
12-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Where I live its comcast or dish. Since there is no other option worth anything for internet I just get the package.

I persoanlly have never had a problem with Comcast either.

And I did work for them for 90 days. Most of the trouble calls were due to contracted installers leaving the job unfinished or a cut cable in the yard or something. If the cable is ran underground be careful when working around the house on flower beds. A shovel will pretty much destroy the cable.

My sister has direct TV because the price is better, and so far she has not had anycomplaints either.

Cindysphinx
12-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Verizon lowered my rate to the intro price when I called and threatened to quit.

Go figure. I called several times. The best I did was a $10 price reduction on the price of internet/phone when I told them I was thinking of moving to DirectTV. $10? Not good enough.

zapvor
01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
HW i did read her post.....

Nostradamus
01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
DirecTV. Incredible service, great tennis coverage (Of course, the real #1 reason to get DirecTV is this (http://sportsvideo.org/main/usopen2011/files/2011/09/DirecTXscreenshot.jpg))
Comcast is awful

yes, direct TV is very high quality, all HD all the time. i also really like their salesrep girl

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Good grief.

The Direct TV guy came, surveyed my elaborate estate, and declared that he couldn't do the installation. My back yard is dominated by a 100-foot silver maple tree. He said that the service might be OK when there were no leaves on it, but when it leafs out the signal would be poor.

Unless I want to put a giant pole in the front yard tall enough to clear the tree, it was a no go.

Back to the drawing board . . .

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Good grief.

The Direct TV guy came, surveyed my elaborate estate, and declared that he couldn't do the installation. My back yard is dominated by a 100-foot silver maple tree. He said that the service might be OK when there were no leaves on it, but when it leafs out the signal would be poor.

Unless I want to put a giant pole in the front yard tall enough to clear the tree, it was a no go.

Back to the drawing board . . .

Probably a lazy installer who is not compensated the right way.

Call DirecTV's 1-800 line and explain the situation. Ask if they can send out another installer.

I realize this looks like a pain in the butt. It's only hard work on the front end. Once the dish is in, with the right locations, installation brackets, etc., you will love it.

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 09:08 AM
I can't risk entering into a two-year contract if an installer is telling me I won't be happy.

Just called Comcast. Gawd, those people are awful. Just awful. The first guy promises me a $100 gift card as a new customer and transfers me to the installation department. Then the installation department tells me they want over $100 in installation fees.

hollywood9826
01-02-2012, 09:27 AM
I can't risk entering into a two-year contract if an installer is telling me I won't be happy.

Just called Comcast. Gawd, those people are awful. Just awful. The first guy promises me a $100 gift card as a new customer and transfers me to the installation department. Then the installation department tells me they want over $100 in installation fees.

Did you have comcast at some time before? If you have the lines already in the house you should just be able to get the equipment. Plug everything in and call the service number to get it activated.

If not stick with what you got.

tenn23
01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Forget TV service and get a nice high speed internet connection. You can get local news and streaming anyway from the internet so I don't see the point of having television anymore.

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, I'm done. These people are ridiculous.

Called Fios again to see what they would do for me. The guy offered me a shiny new bundle with everything I need for "$110-$120." When I asked what the actual cost would be, he said he could not give me an exact price because I might hold him to that and expect to get it for that price. Then the line went dead. I swear, I am not making this up.

Called FIOS back, talked to another rep for an eternity, got a $12 discount off of my current price, still no TC.

Ridiculous.

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Did you have comcast at some time before? If you have the lines already in the house you should just be able to get the equipment. Plug everything in and call the service number to get it activated.

If not stick with what you got.

Yes. I told them I already had the wiring from a couple of years ago. It should be a simple matter to get the equipment and screw it into the wall.

There's something seriously wrong with Comcast. Here they have a returning customer ordering a bunch of stuff with good credit and existing wiring, and they can't figure out how to reel the fish into the boat.

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Forget TV service and get a nice high speed internet connection. You can get local news and streaming anyway from the internet so I don't see the point of having television anymore.

The point of TV is I don't want to watch the Wimbledon final on a 15 inch monitor.

I streamed one tennis match, and I decided never again. I had to sit there, suffering through ads, watching the match and doing nothing else. With my DVR, I can move around the house, pause the action, skip commercials. Worth the money. If I could get TC . . .

Maui19
01-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Maybe you can't get the sat signal, but it is definitely worth having a second guy out to make sure. As someone else said, some of the installers are dumb n lazy.

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I dunno, Maui. If the second guy says it will work just fine, what then? If they had a money-back guarantee, it would be worth a shot.

I went jogging around the neighborhood today, and I found exactly one dish on a house. This neighborhood was built in the 1950s, and the trees are pretty big. Oh well.

tenn23
01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
The point of TV is I don't want to watch the Wimbledon final on a 15 inch monitor.

I streamed one tennis match, and I decided never again. I had to sit there, suffering through ads, watching the match and doing nothing else. With my DVR, I can move around the house, pause the action, skip commercials. Worth the money. If I could get TC . . .

A dedicated service seems like a waste if all you want to do is watch tennis matches. Notice I said service not TV itself (you can easily hookup your laptop to your TV through HDMI or similar, or use a gaming system for streaming services; there are many options to use a TV without subscribing to cable, basically). I don't know what streaming service you used but I got excellent streaming from espn360 (now espn.go.com) and that was on the second slowest cable internet speed my ISP (comcast xfinity) offers.

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
I have three 100+ foot redwoods (expensive to remove) in my backyard between the dish and the southern sky. No problems, although I have been warned that problems could arise as the trees continue to grow (and they will, like weeds). I will need to trim soon.

Have you considered trimming the tree, which is probably a good thing to do anyway?

What can I do to get you into a new DirecTV system today? (Seriously, I'm not affiliated with the company, but just can't imagine watching television, especially tennis, ANY OTHER WAY.)

Kevin T
01-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Agree with Fifth. Sounds like you need to move. :)

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Trim the tree? Goodness. We cabled the tree when we moved in, and that cost $1000. Redwoods don't have a lot of foliage, IIRC.

Here's a pic of a silver maple. Mine is much bigger than this one:

http://www.yvts.com/images/maple,%20silver%201.jpg

I think if two adults and a child joined hands, they could encircle the trunk of my tree.

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh. Wow.

Note to self: never plant silver maple. It's like a freakin' godzilla stuck in your lawn.

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh. Wow.

Note to self: never plant silver maple. It's like a freakin' godzilla stuck in your lawn.

Fun fact.

Who has raked the leaves from that tree for the last 18 years?

Me, that's who.

Redwoods are evergreen, aren't they? Feel my pain, man. Feel my pain.

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Fun fact.

Who has raked the leaves from that tree for the last 18 years?

Me, that's who.

Redwoods are evergreen, aren't they? Feel my pain, man. Feel my pain.

Oh I feel it alright - every time I look at the trees destroying our lawn. Yes, redwoods are evergreen. And they are beautiful to look at.

But, they grow ridiculously fast and have aggressive root systems. At the end of the day, our lot is too small for the number of trees we have had. It has actually been quite a nuisance.

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Trees are great, but they can drive you nuts. The prior owners of our house had what I will charitably call "a lack of vision." They planted everything too close to the house and too close to each other. The worst was the dogwood tree they planted about two feet from the foundation.

We also had to take out a mature beech. This required a team of guys with chain saws swinging from ropes. Taking down a mature tree is quite an operation. I can only imagine the horror of trying to take down a redwood!

zapvor
01-02-2012, 06:46 PM
cindy what about just streaming from your phone as a mobile hotspot? with network speeds on 4G it's fast enough. you can stream it to you tv

Bad Dog
01-03-2012, 04:17 AM
down a mature tree is quite an operation. I can only imagine the horror of trying to take down a redwood!

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. -- Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now.

mikeler
01-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Trees are great, but they can drive you nuts. The prior owners of our house had what I will charitably call "a lack of vision." They planted everything too close to the house and too close to each other. The worst was the dogwood tree they planted about two feet from the foundation.

We also had to take out a mature beech. This required a team of guys with chain saws swinging from ropes. Taking down a mature tree is quite an operation. I can only imagine the horror of trying to take down a redwood!

The prior owners of my house did the same thing. When our house was built, sanitary sewer was still a few years away so we are stuck with a septic tank. The roots finally destroyed it so I had to spend almost $1,000 to get rid of one of the trees.

Cindysphinx
01-03-2012, 05:09 AM
cindy what about just streaming from your phone as a mobile hotspot? with network speeds on 4G it's fast enough. you can stream it to you tv

I'm 3g. Really, if I have to pick just one TV to watch a day's worth of tennis without a DVD to cut through commercials, I might as well pass.

I guess I have to keep calling Comcast until they will waive installation. Maybe it is time to talk to a supervisor . . .

hollywood9826
01-03-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm 3g. Really, if I have to pick just one TV to watch a day's worth of tennis without a DVD to cut through commercials, I might as well pass.

I guess I have to keep calling Comcast until they will waive installation. Maybe it is time to talk to a supervisor . . .

Is your neighbor hood serviced by poles or is all the cable running underground. I'm kinda assuming since you said it was around in the fifties then its probably an aerial drop to the house. I never like dealing with those was alwas easier dealing witht he underground so I didnt have to carry the extension ladder across the yars and lean it against the house or anything.

Either way the cable guy will have to come out and connect your house back to tap. From either the pole or from a little green igloo lokking thing by the road. If all else is good inside the house wiring that should be all that needs to be done.

I think if you talk to the right person in the right tone you will get that fee waived, and probably get free HBO or somethign for 6 months out of it.

I worked for comcast back in 2009 installing at homes in Chester county PA. Fios was just up and running and Chester county is where all the Comcast Execs live and id say 50 percent of the installs were no fee. Its usally as simple as talking to the right person on the phone.

j00dypoo
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Out of nowhere, Comcast just gave us a new sports package that includes the tennis channel. I must be lucky - b/c where I live, I've had nothing but good experiences with comcast.

Comcast really should have the installation fees waived and free hbo or something for 6 months. I have free starz for 6 months just by calling and asking if they had any new deals. I've been an existing members for years,too.

Nostradamus
01-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Is Verizon Cellphone service that much better than the rest ? They charge much more for their cellphone service. I wonder if the extra cost is justified ?

Limpinhitter
01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh. Wow.

I wouldn't worry about it. By the time any kind of maple gets big enough to block the Southern sky, your grandchildren will be grandparents.

Limpinhitter
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM

We used to have a banyan tree (a variety of ficus with multiple trunks), in the back yard. When we bought the house it was about 80 feet across and 60 feet high. It was a magificent beast. Within 3 years it was about 120 feet across and 90 feet high. The above ground root system was about 60 feet across and the largest roots were 2 feet thick. From satalite images it was twice the size of my house. When I noticed roots getting close to my pool, and my foundation, I called my local arborist. Two weeks and $3,000 later, it was gone.

Here's a pic of a typical banyan: http://v22.lscache2.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/48020548.jpg

decades
01-04-2012, 06:25 PM
ditch the land line. tell verizon you are switching to comcast for tv and internet but you will stay with them if they lower their price. if they don't call comcast and tell them you are thinking of switching what can you offer me. tell them you have a deal if you drop the installation fee.

decades
01-04-2012, 06:26 PM

that's for geeks not regular people.

zapvor
01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
that's for geeks not regular people.

haha. its not that difficult to figure out...

zapvor
01-04-2012, 11:42 PM

ok.......what about just download matches.

zapvor
01-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Is Verizon Cellphone service that much better than the rest ? They charge much more for their cellphone service. I wonder if the extra cost is justified ?

i just switched from att to verizon, and so far its 100% more awesome. however the price definitely sucks. i am paying like 100% more. so i guess you get what you pay for

West Coast Ace
01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Cindy, you did the right thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zG5U0v3gU

Cindysphinx
01-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Cindy, you did the right thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zG5U0v3gU

Ha!! Very funny!

I called Comcast daily, and finally I came up with a deal that works. I pay some installation fees, and I get a Visa gift card for $100. It was an internet only deal.

Now we have to see what happens when they come to install. In my experience, they are what you might call liars. They give you one price, and then they try to switch you. I will watch them like a hawk.

LuckyR
01-06-2012, 09:26 AM

A couple of things: dropping the Tennis Channel is a deal breaker. DishTV has it and their overall service is fine. As far as the placement of the dish itself, I assume your house has a roof... We have our dish on the side of a second floor deck (so it can be reached with a broom to brush off snow, which needs to be done about twice a year) from the first floor deck.

As far as cell coverage, where I live if you don't have Verizon, you don't have good coverage at home. Of course some have land lines for that, but we like to have cell coverage at home too.

Verizon is known for poor phones, somewhat expensive plans and the best coverage. My guess is their 4G (I don't have a data plan phone) speeds will vary depending on volume, compared to other plans.

Polaris
01-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I have three 100+ foot redwoods (expensive to remove) in my backyard between the dish and the southern sky.

Here's a pic of a silver maple. Mine is much bigger than this one: [...]
I think if two adults and a child joined hands, they could encircle the trunk of my tree.

Fifth Set, I hate you. Three redwoods? Seriously !? Some people have everything. Cindy, I hate you too, for your godzilla maple. OK, that's enough tree envy for one day!

On topic: Cindy, is there a possibility of kicking your TV to the curb, along with Verizon :) .

We used to have a banyan tree (a variety of ficus with multiple trunks), in the back yard. When we bought the house it was about 80 feet across and 60 feet high. It was a magificent beast. Within 3 years it was about 120 feet across and 90 feet high. The above ground root system was about 60 feet across and the largest roots were 2 feet thick. From satalite images it was twice the size of my house. When I noticed roots getting close to my pool, and my foundation, I called my local arborist. Two weeks and $3,000 later, it was gone.

Hmmm. Sad. I used to swing from banyan branches when I was a kid. Wasn't there any way to save the tree (trim it somehow) and to simultaneously save your property?

LuckyR
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
There is a reason it is known as the strangler fig, good riddance...

Cindysphinx
02-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Bump!

The saga continues, and I still do not have TC.

OK, I signed on with Comcast on-line, which saved on installation costs and came with a rebate also. I was supposed to get a whole house DVR that worked on three TVs, and another basic box.

I received a confirmation email that did not specify the price or details of my order. Hmmmm.

The guy showed up and said he had four boxes. He starts taking out the Verizon stuff and installing Comcast, which takes about an hour. When he finished the kitchen TV, I noticed not a standard size box but a tiny little adapter. I asked him about that and he said the price I was paying did not include the whole house DVR.

I got on the phone, and the rep tried to convince me to let the installer finish and then they would fix everything to include the whole house DVR -- at a cost of about $40 more. I told them no and told them to take their equipment and return my Verizon set-up to the way it was. So they did.

Then Verizon announced that they were going to have TC after all.

I called them and learned that the sports package is now double the price it used to be, at $15/month. I like tennis, but that price really grates on me. I don't even have time to watch all of the early round stuff, and ESPN2 carries the majors.

Is it really worth $15/month to see a few more matches, like Miami and IW? Meh. I guess not. My bill is sky high, and I'm tired of being ripped off. So I will pass.

Cindysphinx
02-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Oh, and the rocket scientists at Comcast sent me a new phone modem for no apparent reason. It arrived weeks after the aborted installation.

I called yesterday and told them of their error and asked how to get this modem back to them. I was transferred to their "Equipment Recovery Unit." The lady said she didn't have any method for me to return the modem and I would need to call the 800 number again. I said if she didn't send me a mailing label or send a truck to pick it up, I was going to do nothing further.

I plan to move it to the basement and, if they don't come get it in a month or two, I will put it in the trash.

Fun fact: Last week, Comcast sent me a check for $15 out of the blue, even though I had paid them nothing for the installation. Despite how much I hate them, I called and asked them why they had sent me the check so I could return it if it were the result of (yet another) error.

They said that I had service with them in 2009, and I had a $15 credit on my account. Had I not gotten their attention by trying to get service in 2012 (or if I had moved), they never would have issued a refund.

Gee, I wonder how many other people have refunds coming to them that Comcast conveniently forgot to process? Might make a good class action lawsuit . . . .

Did I mention that I hate Comcast?

ollinger
02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Ahh, the quotidian details of your life, painstakingly presented!

Fifth Set
02-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Cindy, start listening to the overwhelming voice inside your head.

"DirecTV, DirecTV, DirecTV..."

Magic of tennis
02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Worst internet I ever used was AT&T. Their service was aweful and raised fee without notice. they were very snicky. I was furious. I cancelled my home phone service and internet from AT&T. I was so happy. I changed to cable and it was almost 10 times faster. Their fee was about $10 more than at&t but it was worth. I don't subscribe tv. I watch tennis through internet so fast internet was crucial for me. I still don't like to hear anything about AT&T.

jswinf
02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Maybe we should bring back Bell Telephone (& Telegraph)? :confused: