PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is this (Nadal vs Ancic)

wy2sl0
12-28-2011, 08:52 AM
I know the quality of the opponent wasn't that high, but damn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvJ2AhXLU6g&feature=related

Was he just trying to play different? I remember one of those forehands near 3/4 mark was like 110 mph. He really was at his best in '10.

GOAT BAAH!!!
12-28-2011, 08:55 AM
such a noticeable difference in the depth and pace of his groundstrokes in comparison to 2011.

Cup8489
12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
such a noticeable difference in the depth and pace of his groundstrokes in comparison to 2011.

IIRC, this was during the period when *******s were claiming he was losing due to a lack of confidence.

GOAT BAAH!!!
12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
IIRC, this was during the period when *******s were claiming he was losing due to a lack of confidence.

He was losing simply because it was the transitional period post his 09 let down and pre summer 2010 3 slam tear.

Mike Sams
12-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Meh! Nadal was just a transitional deep-groundstroker until he met Ljubicic 3 days later in this very same tournament. Ljubicic showed him how to hit real deep penetrating groundstrokes and blew Nadal off the court! :lol:

GOAT BAAH!!!
12-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Meh! Nadal was just a transitional deep-groundstroker until he met Ljubicic 3 days later in this very same tournament. Ljubicic showed him how to hit real deep penetrating groundstrokes and blew Nadal off the court! :lol:

Definitely. Ralph met his transitional match. I would trade Nadal's career for Ljubicic's in a heartbeat.

Mike Sams
12-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Definitely. Ralph met his transitional match. I would trade Nadal's career for Ljubicic's in a heartbeat.

Well the point of this thread is that the OP is suggesting that Nadal is playing amazingly offensive tennis and hitting brutal and deep groundstrokes. But then again, don't all top players play like that against a clown opponent who has no hope of winning?
This performance from Nadal looked nice but he got squashed a couple of days later.

egn
12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Well the point of this thread is that the OP is suggesting that Nadal is playing amazingly offensive tennis and hitting brutal and deep groundstrokes. But then again, don't all top players play like that against a clown opponent who has no hope of winning?
This performance from Nadal looked nice but he got squashed a couple of days later.

Please refrain from calling Ancic a clown. The guy had a lot of heart and after being sidelined and having his career ruined by mono it took a lot for him to attempt to make a comeback for a third time. Your point is valid though against lower level players that the top feel very comfortable against they will play aggressive tennis

GOAT BAAH!!!
12-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Absolutely. Nadal also swung freely and brutal in his match with GGL last year and his match with Dodig in Canada because all top players play like this against clown opponents who have no hope of winning.

tudwell
12-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Nadal hadn't won a title in over 9 months at this point and most Nadal fans were predicting his demise. Only highlights against a much lower-ranked player and revisionist history would lead people to believe he played better in the early hardcourt season of 2010 than he did for most of 2011.

Mike Sams
12-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Please refrain from calling Ancic a clown. The guy had a lot of heart and after being sidelined and having his career ruined by mono it took a lot for him to attempt to make a comeback for a third time. Your point is valid though against lower level players that the top feel very comfortable against they will play aggressive tennis

Ancic was in "clown form" is what I meant. We all know he was a shell of his potential after his mono sickness. He never fully recovered. This match was a joke.

Mike Sams
12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Nadal hadn't won a title in over 9 months at this point and most Nadal fans were predicting his demise. Only highlights against a much lower-ranked player and revisionist history would lead people to believe he played better in the early hardcourt season of 2010 than he did for most of 2011.

Most fans are stupid though who've never done anything active in their lives. So all they do is troll and call the demise of anybody who hasn't won a tournament in the past 6 months. :lol: Calling the demise of a 23 year old Nadal at the time was a joke in itself. Everybody knew when it got to Monte Carlo, he was going to turn the tables, especially considering that the top 3 guys (Djokovic, Murray, Federer) weren't playing close to their best.
Even now in his most recent interview, Nadal's hoping to do the same in April when clay comes around in 2012. Although I personally think it's going to be far more difficult than years prior as I believe the likes of Djokovic, Murray and even Federer to an extent are far more comfortable on clay nowadays and probably have to like their chances now more than prior seasons, especially Djokovic.
I also think Nadal 2011 would've wiped the court with Nadal 2010 in the spring hardcourt season (Indian Wells and Miami).