PDA

View Full Version : Nadal taking all of February off to recuperate

Pages : [1] 2

batz
12-29-2011, 05:57 AM
On twitter, from various sports journos - must be from abudhabi press conference.

Says he nearly didn't go to abudhabi and plans to take all of February off to recuperate from shoulder injury that has troubled him for some weeks.

tusharlovesrafa
12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Will he play A.O????

batz
12-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Will he play A.O????

Yes, and Doha - but it sounds like he will be carrying an injury.

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Aah, makes sense.

tusharlovesrafa
12-29-2011, 06:04 AM
aNOTHER PRE season injury excuse..duh..

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 06:08 AM
On twitter, from various sports journos - must be from abudhabi press conference.

Says he nearly didn't go to abudhabi and plans to take all of February off to recuperate from shoulder injury that has troubled him for some weeks.
Which he picked up during the rest before WTF.

Homeboy Hotel
12-29-2011, 06:10 AM
Why are these journalists going ape sh\t saying how Nadal is talking ALL OF FEBRUARY off? An how he's WITHDRAWING from Dubai?

Nadal hasn't played Dubai since 2008 and scraped through Rotterdam in 2009 where Murray got him 6-0 3rd set. Nadal doesn't play any other sub-par tour 250/500 events in February and just like Murray/Federer have last couple of years, will not be playing much in the second month of 2012.

This simple notice is just being over publicised and exaggerated.

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Jokes apart, hope he recovers fast. And hope he is able to perform well at AO.

merlinpinpin
12-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Oh well, with Doha starting next week, I guess some PR was needed fast to carry on the myth of the Injured Warrior. :roll:

Now that Rafa "who doesn't want to talk about his injuries" has reassured us that his futures victories with a broken shoulder will be due to his recovered mental toughness (to say nothing of his passion and humour), I guess the real season can get underway... ;)

joeri888
12-29-2011, 06:42 AM
I don't know why, but Rafa seems to like these kind of excuses. So why not rest up two more weeks now, and play yourself into form in the AO?Seems to make more sense than this!
Also, doesn't rafa take of February kind of often? Seems to me that it's not that big a schedule move and there's not anything serious going on with him.

batz
12-29-2011, 06:43 AM
Now on the wires:

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=15505&zoneid=4

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP)—Rafael Nadal plans to take several weeks off after the Australian Open to recover from a nagging shoulder injury.

The second-ranked Nadal said Thursday the injury surfaced before the ATP World Tour Finals in November and that he was still “not 100 percent.” He only decided three days ago to defend his title at the World Tennis Championships, a two-day exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi.

“I had a problem before London with my shoulder and I had to stop for about 10 days before the (ATP) finals,” Nadal said Thursday in Abu Dhabi. “It felt better but again it resurfaced. In December, I did not have enough time to practice because of that.”

Nadal will play the winner of a match between Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and David Ferrer in the semifinals on Friday.

He is hopeful his shoulder will hold up in Abu Dhabi where he will attempt to win the tournament for the third year in a row and in Doha, where he plans to play at the Qatar Open next week. After competing at the Australian Open beginning Jan. 16, the 25-year-old Spaniard said he would take February off to rest and practice.

While praising the dominance of No. 1-ranked Novak Djokovic, who won three Grand Slams, Nadal blamed himself for allowing his play to become “too predictable” at times. But he insisted he wasn’t going to overhaul his game despite losing to Djokovic in six finals.

Nadal won the French Open, rallied Spain to victory in the Davis Cup final and finished 69-15 this season. He lost to Djokovic in the finals of Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

“This is not the time to change many things. This is the time to keep playing well, to keep improving my tennis,” Nadal said. “I will just try and be competitive in all the tournaments. I was competitive in all the tournaments and was in three Grand Slam finals.”

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 06:43 AM
reported........
LOL, are you trying to make me laugh !

Hitman
12-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Looks like Nadal is fighting an uphill battle from day one. And he's not making any changes for Djokovic? i thought he would know by now that his current is no issues for the world number one.

Clarky21
12-29-2011, 06:51 AM
As I have said before,if he is injured he should have skipped Abu Dhabi,and maybe even Doha instead of chasing the money. He wll never learn so hopefully Ferrer puts him out of his misery tomorrow because if he makes the final he will just get thrashed by **** again. The bottomline is Nadal is a dumba**. That is all.

Mustard
12-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Playing an Abu Dhabi exhibition tournament and Doha is a bit silly when you have a shoulder injury and the Australian Open in a few weeks.

Clarky21
12-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Playing an Abu Dhabi exhibition tournament and Doha is a bit silly when you have a shoulder injury and the Australian Open in a few weeks.

$$$$$$$$$ is all he cares about these days. The tennis is just secondary to him,and he could not care less about it.

decades
12-29-2011, 07:18 AM
lol he always takes off february. He is just looking for an edge. So he is planting the seed that he is not 100% to take the pressure off for OZ. New strategy this year. have your injury "before" you play. :)

decades
12-29-2011, 07:21 AM

lol. so instead of resting he plays EXOs for the money. that must be some injury!

MichaelNadal
12-29-2011, 07:22 AM

Seriously, he should let his shoulder heal for the AO if it's really bothering him that much. Nadal needs more than ever to be playing at 100%. This looks bad considering he's already starting off playing in pain, AND saying he doesn't need to change tactics now. I may as well start rooting for cockyvic so i'll be less disappointed in 2012.

decades
12-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Jokes apart, hope he recovers fast. And hope he is able to perform well at AO.

I hope rafa's "head" recovers because that's the "real" problem here.

Clarky21
12-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Seriously, he should let his shoulder heal for the AO if it's really bothering him that much. Nadal needs more than ever to be playing at 100%. This looks bad considering he's already starting off playing in pain, AND saying he doesn't need to change tactics now. I may as well start rooting for cockyvic so i'll be less disappointed in 2012.

Don't do that. There are lesser evils to cheer for out there,even if they don't win as much. Maybe I should convert to a Fed fan. At least he can beat **** unlike Nadal.

nikdom
12-29-2011, 07:26 AM
lol he always takes off february. He is just looking for an edge. So he is planting the seed that he is not 100% to take the pressure off for OZ. New strategy this year. have your injury "before" you play. :)

Don't be so harsh man! This is an improvement - at least he isn't bringing it up AFTER a loss.

MichaelNadal
12-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Don't do that. There are lesser evils to cheer for out there,even if they don't win as much. Maybe I should convert to a Fed fan. At least he can beat **** unlike Nadal.

I lol'd. U get the gif of the week award :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/Oprahs-Bees.gif

OddJack
12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Muhahahaahaaa

Are you kidding me?

How can you announce an injury, and that it existed before a tournament he already played, and that you will have it in an exo, and a 250 event, and that you will have it in a major event, and then that you will take 4 weeks off to recover????

It got to be a first in history of ATP

Any fan that tries to sugar coat this will be making a fool of themselves

OddJack
12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Don't be so harsh man! This is an improvement - at least he isn't bringing it up AFTER a loss.

WTF doesnt count? He mentions London.
oh, maybe he meant some place else in London

batz
12-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Muhahahaahaaa

Are you kidding me?

How can you announce an injury, and that it existed before a tournament he already played, and that you will have it in an exo, and a 250 event, and that you will have it in a major event, and then that you will take 4 weeks off to recover????

It got to be a first in history of ATP

Any fan that tries to sugar coat this will be making a fool of themselves

It's not great is it - more to the point, it's not something I ever thought I'd see Nadal doing. I thought it might be a wind up at first but it's real alright. I guess losing six big finals in a row to the same guy can take a lot out of a man.

nikdom
12-29-2011, 07:40 AM
WTF doesnt count? He mentions London.
oh, maybe he meant some place else in London

I meant he isn't waiting to lose in AO before announcing the 'continued' shoulder problems from before the WTF.

Really, I don't know what kind of kool aid his fans drink, but it hurts my brain to process Nadal's utterances. Two days ago he says he's not been as injured as folks make him out to be and that he couldn't have been top 2 if he was injured ( to show himself off as a heroic guy who's beaten physical niggles - something all players do). Now, his litany of physical issues continue with a shoulder issue.

Has there been a year he didn't complain of something or other? Abdominals strain, knees, shoulders. And when he has nothing else, he says he 'lacked passion' or something arcane like that.

I don't understand what purpose it serves unless he wants sympathy to announce something like this. When other players announce an injury its usually because they may have to skip an upcoming tournament. Nadal is the only guy who complains then plays exos, grand slams and then *****es and moans about the calendar!

niff
12-29-2011, 07:41 AM
I hope Nole feels guilty about driving a man insane before our eyes :(

Clarky21
12-29-2011, 07:44 AM
I lol'd. U get the gif of the week award :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/Oprahs-Bees.gif

I am honored to accept it. :lol:

nikdom
12-29-2011, 07:45 AM
“I had a problem before London with my shoulder and I had to stop for about 10 days before the (ATP) finals,” Nadal said Thursday in Abu Dhabi. “It felt better but again it resurfaced. In December, I did not have enough time to practice because of that.”

What? No mention of the Davis cup?

This proves it guys. Nadal only wants the glory - its the losses that he tries to explain away with injury issues.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 07:45 AM
It's not great is it - more to the point, it's not something I ever thought I'd see Nadal doing. I thought it might be a wind up at first but it's real alright. I guess losing six big finals in a row to the same guy can take a lot out of a man.

Takes a lot out of a man, but this is not the announcement of one.
If this is true he is losing his mind.
Not good news for his fans

Povl Carstensen
12-29-2011, 07:46 AM
$$$$$$$$$ is all he cares about these days. The tennis is just secondary to him,and he could not care less about it.Well you don't really know that, I'd say.

anantak2k
12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
I would not be worried about Nadal at all... its all BS anyway. I won't be surprised if he wins the AO with an injured shoulder. If he loses, its okay because he is injured. I have never seen a player who seems to always be injured year in, year out win so many titles and grandslams.

Since 2004, I don't remember a time when Nadal wasn't injured or tired. Its always an uphill battle for him, isn't it?

Hitman
12-29-2011, 07:58 AM
I would not be worried about Nadal at all... its all BS anyway. I won't be surprised if he wins the AO with an injured shoulder. If he loses, its okay because he is injured. I have never seen a player who seems to always be injured year in, year out win so many titles and grandslams.

Since 2004, I don't remember a time when Nadal wasn't injured or tired. Its always an uphill battle for him, isn't it?

It's what makes him the gladiator in everyone's mind. The man who climbs above all unassailable odds.

aphex
12-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Lol, Ralph's sanity is slipping little by little...
Hopefully, in December 2012, after Nole has battered him another 6 times, Tio will retire him to a mental institution.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Let me help you Nadalites, there is only one pathological explanation.

Masochism.

Masochism (MW Dictionary): enjoyment of pain : pleasure that someone gets from being abused or hurt ;

Any of the Nadalites please come forward and tell me what it means to have an injury, be in pain, and then go ahead and play 3 events one of them being a major?

Hitman
12-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Hopefully, in December 2012, after Nole has battered him another 6 times, Tio will retire him to a mental institution.

Considering how almost one sided the matches got as the season went on, it could get real ugly! And if Roger surplants Rafa as the world number two....

OddJack
12-29-2011, 08:04 AM
What? No mention of the Davis cup?

This proves it guys. Nadal only wants the glory - its the losses that he tries to explain away with injury issues.

hmmm...seems like his shoulder does not hurt on clay.
Isnt that the surface that would make it worse?

Mike Sams
12-29-2011, 08:04 AM
I thought Djokovic was the one with the shoulder injury. When did Nadal hurt his shoulder?

jamesblakefan#1
12-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Just add it to the not so short list of Rafa's other injuries when he loses.

2011 Finals vs Djokovic - brain injury, apparently :lol:
2011 Doha SF vs Davydenko (L 6-3, 6-2) - flu
2010 WTF F vs Fed (L 6-3, 3-6, 6-1) - 'tired' from Murray match
2010 Shanghai R16 vs Melzer (L 6-1, 3-6, 6-3) - 'tired' from winning Tokyo
2009 Madrid F vs Fed (L 6-4, 6-4) - 'tired' from Djokovic match
2009 Rotterdam F vs Murray (L 6-3, 4-6, 6-0) - knee injury
2008 Paris QF vs Davydenko (L 6-1 RET) - leg injury
2008 USO SF vs Murray (L 6-2, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4) - 'tired' from Olympics
2008 Rome R32 vs Ferrero (L 7-5, 6-1) - blisters
2008 Chennai F vs Youzhny (L 6-1, 6-0) - 'tired' from Moya match
2007 USO R16 vs Ferrer (L 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 6-2) - knee injury (one that BTW was made to sound life threatening before the tourney even started, I remember that mockery)
2007 Cincy R32 vs Monaco (L 7-6, 4-1 RET) - knee injury
2007 AO QF vs Gonzo (L 6-2, 6-4, 6-3) - leg injury
2007 Sydney R32 vs Guccione (L 6-5 RET)
2006 Queens QF vs Hewitt (L 3-6, 6-3 RET)
2005 Auckland R32 vs Hrbaty (L 6-3 RET)

http://i53.tinypic.com/34fbc6s.jpg

Hitman
12-29-2011, 08:07 AM
He should pull out of here and Doha if he is really hurting. If he gets worse here, and also ends up getting mauled by Novak despite it being an exhibition, 2012 will spiral ou of any control he still has.

jackson vile
12-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Hopefully all the players especially Nadal manage their schedules correctly this year.:shock:

niff
12-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Ew. Wimbledon, why.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Hopefully all the players especially Nadal manage their schedules correctly this year.:shock:

I agree 100%. The less injuries, and burnout the better. Although if Nadal is already strugling before even stepping onto court, and will play a heavy January - would you say that he is managing his schedule correctly?

I think Novak has it spot on. And Federer should be okay also, he was quite fresh end of last season.

Murray I am not sure of, since he had a heartbreaking end to last season, so we will see with him.

Sartorius
12-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Which tournaments was he going to play in February?

Clarky21
12-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Where he can keep you company,and considering he is your most favorite person in the whole wide world,you must be trembling with excitment.. Lol.

aphex
12-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Where he can keep you company,and considering he is your most favorite person in the whole wide world,you must be trembling with excitment.. Lol.

I doubt we'll be in the same one. I have taste.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Which tournaments was he going to play in February?

nada....

You should've asked:

Which excuse was he going to play in February?

And the answer would be: He played it in December 2011

CDestroyer
12-29-2011, 08:28 AM

You are correct but its not a new tactic. He mentions that he is injured before a tournament then he:

1. Has an excuse if he gets bageled, breadsticked, destroyed etc.

2. Can take pressure off himself. He always parades himself as the underdog.

CDestroyer
12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
nada....

You should've asked:

Which excuse was he going to play in February?

And the answer would be: He played it in December 2011

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/c1f44a010529bfdfe6962a0bf6b9a212.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4204)

nikdom
12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
You are correct but its not a new tactic. He mentions that he is injured before a tournament then he:

1. Has an excuse if he gets bageled, breadsticked, destroyed etc.

2. Can take pressure off himself. He always parades himself as the underdog.

You may be on to the biggest psychological insight about Nadal - I think the guy has to feel like he's fighting against the tide to be able to perform free of expectations - if he does well, he is a warrior, if he fails he always has an excuse.

The best thing one can probably say of this situation is that Nadal is not lying to us but that he believes his own excuses as a way to relieve pressure.

As someone pointed out before, he enjoys the pain and is a masochist. It would make sense then that the least comfortable position for him is the one where HE is the man to beat and not a challenger like he was most of his career.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 08:37 AM
You may be on to the biggest psychological insight about Nadal - I think the guy has to feel like he's fighting against the tide to be able to perform free of expectations - if he does well, he is a warrior, if he fails he always has an excuse.

The best thing one can probably say of this situation is that Nadal is not lying to us but that he believes his own excuses as a way to relieve pressure.

As someone pointed out before, he enjoys the pain and is a masochist. It would make sense then that the least comfortable position for him is the one where HE is the man to beat and not a challenger like he was most of his career.

I think you might be on the money with this one. Keep saying something long enough, and even you start to believe it.

TMF
I don't believe him either. He's making excuses again in case if he loses. So insecure.

Sartorius
nada....

Seriously? So he already was not going to play any tournaments in February?

Well then, unless he means he won't pick up a racquet in February, this is wonderfully lame.

celoft
12-29-2011, 08:38 AM
sounds like he will be carrying an injury.

What else is new?

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I hope rafa's "head" recovers because that's the "real" problem here.
Maybe Tio is over-training Rafa. Rafa could be citing pain just to get Tio to back off a bit.

TMF
12-29-2011, 09:20 AM
If I was a pro tennis player I would never want to play Nadal, especially at the slam final. Beating him will mean nothing because Nadal was injured all the time.

If Fed and Nole knew ahead of time that Nadal will make injury excuse when he loses at the AO, they wouldn't want to play him either.

nikdom
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
I want to make a point about the tour in general and not Nadal in specific - I just wish Tennis can be less about chatter and sound bites surrounding the real action. In other words, as much as we like to discuss these things around here, it would be good for the sport if players just showed up to play without umpteen pre-tournament news bits and accepted the results with grace. This applies as much to Roger or Novak or anyone else.

If you're not fit, don't play. Spare us this information overload dissecting past results and future prospects. What is wrong with it you say? I think its making real achievements meaningless if everything is subject to revision and appended with conditionals after the fact. Its taking the joy out of any anticipation for the future and sullying the spirit of the game - which is that once players take to the court, its a fair battle.

The Nadal fans will as usual take this as a thing against their guy, but I ask you, doesn't this take away some of the hopeful anticipation you had from the guy about how he is going to tackle the Djoko challenge in 2012? I mean, the year hasn't started yet and now there will be a cloud over everything Rafa for the foreseeable future.

What would have been an alternative? Nadal can keep mum about any niggling shoulder issues and let it heal the best it can until the Aussie. Then he has a choice - is it good enough to play his best? If yes, then no problem. If not, then again he has two choices- should he play or should he withdraw. If he withdraws, it is unfortunate but hopefully that's the best situation for his shoulder so it doesn't get worse. If he DOES decide to play, then its a risk he is taking and he should just accept the results with grace, knowing fully well that he may not have performed his best, but letting due credit go to his vanquisher who could have beaten Nadal even if Nadal was fully fit. Why sully the opponents achievement? If he manages to win despite the injury, all credit to him and in his own mind it should make him even more confident since he played without full fitness.

See how in any of these conditions there is no TALK of the injury, yet the REAL situation with his shoulder is no different than when there is talk about it? So why talk?

OddJack
12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Yeah that's a good point niky but the system doesnt work that way. The press conferences are a part of the show and they are required to participate ( not talking about Nadal's last release though). Fans demand info on their players all the time so nothing wrong with that either.
Actually, I think drama is good for the game and adds to its attraction.
Having that said, I totally agree with you that giving false info and using the press to gain a leg up is not cool and should be called on.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Seriously? So he already was not going to play any tournaments in February?

Well then, unless he means he won't pick up a racquet in February, this is wonderfully lame.

Yes, Nadal is the most wonderfully lame player there is.

Actually, everything about him is both worst and great.

Take, for example, his 2011 season.

It's the worst great season in history of the game.

stringertom
12-29-2011, 09:43 AM
QFT! (post #58) Imagine how bad it would get if the "off-season" were expanded the additional weeks some of the "warriors" are campaigning for. The journalists will dig even deeper in the search for some made-up inflammatory comment twisted out of context for their own benefit, TTers would chime in and the avalanche would grow bigger and faster. Yikes, let's just play some tennis! Real matches start in a week, thankfully.

nikdom
12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah that's a good point niky but the system doesnt work that way. The press conferences are a part of the show and they are required to participate ( not talking about Nadal's last release though). Fans demand info on their players all the time so nothing wrong with that either.
Actually, I think drama is good for the game and adds to its attraction.
Having that said, I totally agree with you that giving false info and using the press to gain a leg up is not cool and should be called on.

I don't think anyone outside us diehards and journos actually even pays attention to these sound bites. But it influences the larger discussion because journos take these things and run with it. That's how Nadal got his warrior image. Because even the folks who are supposed to judge the achievements in this sport are influenced by the shenanigans of players. The casual tennis fan who tunes in to hear some commentary by the time a slam rolls around then hears all these platitudes from the Ted Robinsons of this world who reinforce these stereotypes which are essentially an image that players project.

Look at the calendar issue. The guys complaining the loudest make it an issue about themselves when there so many other stakeholders in the game such as lower ranked players, tournament directors (who actually create opportunity in the sport for earning money) and sponsors.

Semi-Pro
12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Just add it to the not so short list of Rafa's other injuries when he loses.

2011 Finals vs Djokovic - brain injury, apparently :lol:
2011 Doha SF vs Davydenko (L 6-3, 6-2) - flu
2010 WTF F vs Fed (L 6-3, 3-6, 6-1) - 'tired' from Murray match
2010 Shanghai R16 vs Melzer (L 6-1, 3-6, 6-3) - 'tired' from winning Tokyo
2009 Madrid F vs Fed (L 6-4, 6-4) - 'tired' from Djokovic match
2009 Rotterdam F vs Murray (L 6-3, 4-6, 6-0) - knee injury
2008 Paris QF vs Davydenko (L 6-1 RET) - leg injury
2008 USO SF vs Murray (L 6-2, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4) - 'tired' from Olympics
2008 Rome R32 vs Ferrero (L 7-5, 6-1) - blisters
2008 Chennai F vs Youzhny (L 6-1, 6-0) - 'tired' from Moya match
2007 USO R16 vs Ferrer (L 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 6-2) - knee injury (one that BTW was made to sound life threatening before the tourney even started, I remember that mockery)
2007 Cincy R32 vs Monaco (L 7-6, 4-1 RET) - knee injury
2007 AO QF vs Gonzo (L 6-2, 6-4, 6-3) - leg injury
2007 Sydney R32 vs Guccione (L 6-5 RET)
2006 Queens QF vs Hewitt (L 3-6, 6-3 RET)
2005 Auckland R32 vs Hrbaty (L 6-3 RET)

Glad to see my picture still being in use, it shall forever live within these internets!!!

GJ JBF#1

OddJack
12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't think anyone outside us diehards and journos actually even pays attention to these sound bites. But it influences the larger discussion because journos take these things and run with it. That's how Nadal got his warrior image. Because even the folks who are supposed to judge the achievements in this sport are influenced by the shenanigans of players.

Look at the calendar issue. The guys complaining the loudest make it an issue about themselves when there so many other stakeholders in the game such as lower ranked players, tournament directors (who actually create opportunity in the sport for earning money) and sponsors.

What matters is that we do, and we like to talk about it and beat the *****e outta namelessness and tushar from india and have fun with it.:twisted:

Do you see any of them in this thread? Look they have dug up old threads to redirect traffic

MUHahashahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OddJack
12-29-2011, 09:53 AM
was it your picture semi pro?

I wouldnt call you a semi then, you are a full spankin new Pro from now on.

Semi-Pro
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
was it your picture semi pro?

I wouldnt call you a semi then, you are a full spankin new Pro from now on.

Indeed it is mine. lol'd so hard when I saw it. Had just enough time to take a quick snapshot with my blackberry, hence the quality!

TheMusicLover
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Wise decision, Rafa.

nikdom
12-29-2011, 09:58 AM
What matters is that we do, and we like to talk about it and beat the *****e outta namelessness and tushar from india and have fun with it.:twisted:

Do you see any of them in this thread? Look they have dug up old threads to redirect traffic

MUHahashahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You're right. :)

Mike Sams
12-29-2011, 10:08 AM
So again, what is the cause for Nadal's shoulder injury? :-? And how much of a hindrance is this on his serve?

_maxi
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Nadal will publish a book in five years, or maybe he'll cry and confess to the whole world all the lies and tactics he used to relieve preassure and pretend to be the underdog. He'll probably blame tio toni for his behaviour. Even then, his fans (female fans) will still defend him and say he is the most pure human being ever lived.

He is supossed to have a shoulder injury since four months ago. But somehow you see him training killing the ball, bagelling Monaco. Taking entire months of rest and come back talking about injury again.

Seems like the 2012 Nadal strategy will be to fool us telling us he'll be injured all the year. So if he keeps losing to Djokovic, it's ok because he was injured all the time. If he wins, injured Nadal beat all the tour. Best year ever.

batz
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
So again, what is the cause for Nadal's shoulder injury? :-? And how much of a hindrance is this on his serve?

I'm going to go out on a limb here mate - but do you think it might have something to do with playing tennis? ;-)

tudwell
12-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't mind Nadal bringing up an injury if he really has one, but to then play a completely unnecessary exhibition and a 250 event that he could no doubt skip is preposterous. I can see playing the Australian while injured - it's a major. Obviously one would want to do his best in it, even injured. But to play two pointless warm-up events before the Australian and still parade an injury excuse around makes absolutely no sense.

Homeboy Hotel
12-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Shoulder problems worsened from playing Davis Cup.
Was not able to hit a forehand a week ago, only practised serve for one day.
'Acromioclavicular' muscles have lost strength

tudwell
12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Nadal will publish a book in five years, or maybe he'll cry and confess to the whole world all the lies and tactics he used to relieve preassure and pretend to be the underdog. He'll probably blame tio toni for his behaviour. Even then, his fans (female fans) will still defend him and say he is the most pure human being ever lived.

I doubt he's lying. All tennis players have little niggling injuries. Most don't want to bring them up so their opponents won't know about them and possibly exploit them. But as pointed out in this thread, Nadal really loves (or needs) to be the underdog, and bringing up all the aches and pains in his body is one way he does that.

Nathaniel_Near
12-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't mind Nadal bringing up an injury if he really has one, but to then play a completely unnecessary exhibition and a 250 event that he could no doubt skip is preposterous. I can see playing the Australian while injured - it's a major. Obviously one would want to do his best in it, even injured. But to play two pointless warm-up events before the Australian and still parade an injury excuse around makes absolutely no sense.

True enough.

Anyway, I expect Nadal to have a great year next year with especially strong chances at RG and Wimbledon. I'm really looking forward to seeing how next year develops, I think a lot of the top players are gonna come to the party including Murray and Del Potro. I'm hoping Tsonga can get at least to another Slam final as well.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
I doubt he's lying. All tennis players have little niggling injuries. Most don't want to bring them up so their opponents won't know about them and possibly exploit them. But as pointed out in this thread, Nadal really loves (or needs) to be the underdog, and bringing up all the aches and pains in his body is one way he does that.

But that's called lying, right? That's using the press to get to where you want to be at. Didnt he do the same before Davis? He said the exact same thing...was he the underdog there too? NO.
So lets be honest. This is obviously a lie. Dont try to sugar coat it.

West Coast Ace
12-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Nadal will publish a book in five years, or maybe he'll cry and confess to the whole world all the lies and tactics he used to relieve preassure and pretend to be the underdog.I don't see that happening. Spain is very proud of it's recent sporting successes - no way one of them admits it was done in any kind of underhanded way. When he quits, he'll be fishing in Manacor - I don't see him sitting in the Champions' Box talking with Nastase and Vilas.

This is pathetic: can't come out and admit he has no shot of winning hardcourt tournaments against Djokovic, Roger (and Murray?). If his shoulder were really in bad shape no way he'd play in January - he'd rest/rehab until it was 100% - even if it too until Monte Carlo... :)

nikdom
12-29-2011, 10:52 AM

He is supossed to have a shoulder injury since four months ago. But somehow you see him training killing the ball, bagelling Monaco. Taking entire months of rest and come back talking about injury again.

Seems like the 2012 Nadal strategy will be to fool us telling us he'll be injured all the year. So if he keeps losing to Djokovic, it's ok because he was injured all the time. If he wins, injured Nadal beat all the tour. Best year ever.

Thats why even his best years haven't been the best years for the sport. Everyone senses and knows this guy is only gracious when he's winning and a whiny excuse maker when he's not.

Mustard
12-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Every single time I see your profile pic, I mistake Muster for a young Nalbandian. How I wish Nalbo would have won one GS!

Well, Nalbandian has had plenty of chances.

nikdom
12-29-2011, 11:31 AM

As has Murray so far. Let's see how history will come to view him.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM

You are from Wales aren't you?

I went to Swansea University, did my BSc in Zoology there.

Mustard
12-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Yes, although closer to Cardiff than Swansea ;)

Mustard
12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
As has Murray so far. Let's see how history will come to view him.

If Murray doesn't win a major, he'll have the unenviable tag of being the best player never to win a major, considering all those masters titles, Queen's Club titles etc.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 11:41 AM

I go to Wye Valley sometimes to do some canoeing, and mountain bike riding. I love it there, especially in the summer.

CDestroyer
12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Mustard is a female? CMM too?

hmmmm could've never told

MusTURD said he was a gay dude.

Hood_Man
12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Is this TalkTennis or TenisSiarad?

Hopefully it's not too bad, but if it is I'm wondering if it would really be a disaster if he had to pull out of Australia after a few rounds? He is only defending 360 points there, it's not a huge loss for someone who's defending far more points elsewhere for the next 9 months. Why exacerbate an injury and hinder a whole season right from the start?

Mustard
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Hopefully it's not too bad, but if it is I'm wondering if it would really be a disaster if he had to pull out of Australia after a few rounds? He is only defending 360 points there, it's not a huge loss for someone who's defending far more points elsewhere for the next 9 months. Why exacerbate an injury and hinder a whole season right from the start?

Nadal is defending a lot of points after the Australian Open. The Australian Open is his great chance to gain points in 2012.

MichaelNadal
12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
MusTURD said he was a gay dude.

This forum is a hot mess.

Outbeyond
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Now there's some thinking going on! Yes, it could be part of an overall strategy. Win the French and Wimbledon and get into the final at the US Open and win some of the key 1000 events...beating Djoker and Fed wherever possible. But I can't imagine he's totally given up on the AO. He could pick up points there, which is the flip side of not having to defend many points.

reversef
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I want to make a point about the tour in general and not Nadal in specific - I just wish Tennis can be less about chatter and sound bites surrounding the real action. In other words, as much as we like to discuss these things around here, it would be good for the sport if players just showed up to play without umpteen pre-tournament news bits and accepted the results with grace. This applies as much to Roger or Novak or anyone else.

If you're not fit, don't play. Spare us this information overload dissecting past results and future prospects. What is wrong with it you say? I think its making real achievements meaningless if everything is subject to revision and appended with conditionals after the fact. Its taking the joy out of any anticipation for the future and sullying the spirit of the game - which is that once players take to the court, its a fair battle.

In which world would it be possible? Not in the TW's world at least. Let's see it:
1) Nadal withdraws from a tournament because of an injury. Translation: it's fake. (ex: Wimbledon 2009)
2) He plays the tournament despite being in pain, doesn't even want to talk about it and finishes it. Translation: excuses (ex: USO 2007)
2) He plays the tournament and gets injured. He still finishes the match and gives full credit to his opponent. Translation: it's just an excuse (ex: AO 2011)
3) He gets injured and doesn't finish the match (ex: AO 2010). Translation: He found an excuse to not finish the match, he was not injured.

The Nadal fans will as usual take this as a thing against their guy, but I ask you, doesn't this take away some of the hopeful anticipation you had from the guy about how he is going to tackle the Djoko challenge in 2012? I mean, the year hasn't started yet and now there will be a cloud over everything Rafa for the foreseeable future.

What would have been an alternative? Nadal can keep mum about any niggling shoulder issues and let it heal the best it can until the Aussie. Then he has a choice - is it good enough to play his best? If yes, then no problem. If not, then again he has two choices- should he play or should he withdraw. If he withdraws, it is unfortunate but hopefully that's the best situation for his shoulder so it doesn't get worse. If he DOES decide to play, then its a risk he is taking and he should just accept the results with grace, knowing fully well that he may not have performed his best, but letting due credit go to his vanquisher who could have beaten Nadal even if Nadal was fully fit. Why sully the opponents achievement? If he manages to win despite the injury, all credit to him and in his own mind it should make him even more confident since he played without full fitness.

See how in any of these conditions there is no TALK of the injury, yet the REAL situation with his shoulder is no different than when there is talk about it? So why talk?

In which world would it be possible? Not in the TW's world at least. Let's see it:
1) Nadal withdraws from a tournament because of an injury. Translation: it's fake. (ex: Wimbledon 2009)
2) He plays the tournament despite being in pain, doesn't even want to talk about it and finishes it. Translation: excuses (ex: USO 2007)
2) He plays the tournament and gets injured. He still finishes the match and gives full credit to his opponent. Translation: it's just an excuse (ex: AO 2011)
3) He gets injured and doesn't finish the match. Translation: He found an excuse to not finish the match, he was not injured. (ex: AO 2010)

Whatever he does or says, you, haters, will never be satisfied. If he doesn't say anything before and then can't play, it's just an excuse. Proof: he didn't talk about it before. If he talks about it before, there is another problem.
Morality: Nadal can't have problems. Only the other players can.

decades
12-29-2011, 12:27 PM

maybe he should pull out of the EXOs and 250 that pay him $1m plus if he is "hurtiing".

decades
12-29-2011, 12:29 PM

he manages his schedule Exactly how he wants to every year. he plays the events that pay him the most. tennis players get way more time off than anybody who draws a real paycheck.

Mustard
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM

I don't even know why they care. If a player starts the match, it's their job to find a way to win, whatever condition they're in. Retiring is like submitting. If Rafa was injured and lost, the loss is just as legitimate as if he was 100% fit with no injury.

West Coast Ace
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
@reversef, you are your own worst enemy - your partial list more or less prices our point. If you throw in all the MTOs it becomes even more clear that Nadal can't accept losses and uses physical problems as the excuse. Sad.

Maybe he should just stand very wide and hit FHs with tons of topspin to start points *rollseyes*

All-rounder
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Wait February??? After he's done playing 3 tournaments including a slam?? Nadal would be silly to play a 250 or even an exho whilst carrying a shoulder injury. Only Nadal would think of taking time off to heal a injury a month after it happens :roll:.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 12:42 PM
namelessness could be gay.

We dont know that he is he. There is no such proof.

Love the classiness of Fed fans.

jones101
12-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Wow, didnt realise there are so many welsh people on TenisSiarad!
Its great to know being a Cardiff lad myself!

Ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg?

namelessone
12-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Thats why even his best years haven't been the best years for the sport. Everyone senses and knows this guy is only gracious when he's winning and a whiny excuse maker when he's not.

So nikdom and the resident group of haters = everyone.

Got it.

So many are blind to Nadal's true faking nature. So sad. :(

Mustard
12-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Alla i ddim siarad Cymraeg yn dda.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm not Welsh, I just studied my BSc there. I'm English, but my mother is from California.

And unfortantely, my Welsh is poor. :(

Hood_Man

Nope. I've lived here for 16 years and I've hardly picked up a word of it, or the accent.

jones101
Alla i ddim siarad Cymraeg yn dda.

Rwyn siarad tamaid bach o Gymraeg :)

Tony48
12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Doesn't he ALWAYS take February off?

EDIT:

January: Doha, Australian Open
February: DNP
March: Davis Cup, Indian Wells, Miami

March: Indian Wells, Miami

February: Rotterdam

January: Australian Open
March: Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami

So for the last 2 years, he didn't play any tournaments in February. Doesn't seem like a big deal, IMO

namelessone
12-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Why are these journalists going ape sh\t saying how Nadal is talking ALL OF FEBRUARY off? An how he's WITHDRAWING from Dubai?

Nadal hasn't played Dubai since 2008 and scraped through Rotterdam in 2009 where Murray got him 6-0 3rd set. Nadal doesn't play any other sub-par tour 250/500 events in February and just like Murray/Federer have last couple of years, will not be playing much in the second month of 2012.

This simple notice is just being over publicised and exaggerated.

Bingo.

Of course the haters will comment as usual but this is nothing out of the ordinary, February has always been pretty light schedule wise in Nadal's case.

Regarding injuries and such, I don't see what's so complicated. Reports from O2 arena said that Nadal had trouble practicing because of some shoulder problems and it's not that weird that it would occur again early in 2012.

Anyway, these things don't matter much since Nadal doesn't have high hopes for AO this year and has basically said, in so many words, that his main focus will be to play into form until April when clay season begins. The guy also said in a recent interview that he's motivated to beat Borg's six so we know what his main focus for this season is.

Mustard
12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Anyway, these things don't matter much since Nadal doesn't have high hopes for AO this year and has basically said, in so many words, that his main focus will be to play into form until April when clay season begins. The guy also said in a recent interview that he's motivated to beat Borg's six so we know what his main focus for this season is.

I really hope he does it. It would be great if he could win Monte Carlo for the 8th year in a row as well.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Bingo.

Of course the haters will comment as usual but this is nothing out of the ordinary, February has always been pretty light schedule wise in Nadal's case.

Regarding injuries and such, I don't see what's so complicated. Reports from O2 arena said that Nadal had trouble practicing because of some shoulder problems and it's not that weird that it would occur again early in 2012.

I agree with this.

Are you from Bucharest? I visited Romania last September.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I agree with this.

Are you from Bucharest? I visited Romania last September.

I've lived in Bucharest the last six years but I'm from Constanta, a city by the Black Sea.

What did you visit?

Mustard
12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Nadal's busiest February was in 2005, when he played the 3 clay-court tournaments in Buenos Aires, Costa Do Sauipe and Acapulco, winning the latter 2 tournaments.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I've lived in Bucharest the last six years but I'm from Constanta, a city by the Black Sea.

What did you visit?

Last year I visited Translyvania, whilst I was in Budapest. I made the journey across, since it was not so far from there.

This year, I was in Bucharest, spent three days there. It was a special Bucharest weekend, back in Mid September, so it was extra lively. The people's palace is just incredible, it is so huge!

Mike Sams
12-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I really hope he does it. It would be great if he could win Monte Carlo for the 8th year in a row as well.

Will be easy for him. Federer and Djokovic don't show up for Monte Carlo since it's an optional event. The tournament has lost its luster.

Mike Sams
12-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Last year I visited Translyvania, whilst I was in Budapest. I made the journey across, since it was not so far from there.

This year, I was in Bucharest, spent three days there. It was a special Bucharest weekend, back in Mid September, so it was extra lively. The people's palace is just incredible, it is so huge!

How was it? Does Dracula really live there?

Mustard
12-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Will be easy for him. Federer and Djokovic don't show up for Monte Carlo since it's an optional event. The tournament has lost its luster.

The tournament has NOT lost its luster.

Mustard
12-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Does Dracula really live there?

Of course. His human form is Ion Tiriac ;)

Hitman
12-29-2011, 01:46 PM
How was it? Does Dracula really live there?

Well that was the burning question that made me cross the border! LOL!

It was nice, the village area surrounding Dracula's castle was nice to walk through, I wasn't a fan of the food though, since everything was so rich in fat, but that is how the local authentic food is there.

The castle itself was also good. You get a guided tour through, and you see the myth that is Count Dracula.

Mike Sams
12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
The tournament has NOT lost its luster.

If Djokovic and Federer no longer play it, then how has it not lost its luster? If it was such a splendid tournament, then those guys would be participating.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Hope you enjoyed yourself, we have many beautiful places in Romania, though the infrastructure is lacking, mostly in rural areas(but not only I'm ashamed to say).

The peoples palace is incredible size wise(it has 1000 rooms, it's so big that they can't use it all) but it's also quite ugly(typical communist building), especially when you consider the beautiful architecture of interbelic Bucharest that you see around town in certain locations.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Well that was the burning question that made me cross the border! LOL!

It was nice, the village area surrounding Dracula's castle was nice to walk through, I wasn't a fan of the food though, since everything was so rich in fat, but that is how the local authentic food is there.

The castle itself was also good. You get a guided tour through, and you see the myth that is Count Dracula.

It's that way because that region has some pretty harsh winters and because the peasants use to work the fields all day long so they needed foods with high a high calory count.

The food is lighter in the plains region, though not by much :)

Let's just say that we love to eat.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
you from Romania nameless?

tudwell
12-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Nadal is defending a lot of points after the Australian Open. The Australian Open is his great chance to gain points in 2012.

He's actually defending fewer points than usual during the spring hard court and clay court seasons, but he still has his work cut out for him.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Hope you enjoyed yourself, we have many beautiful places in Romania, though the infrastructure is lacking, mostly in rural areas(but not only I'm ashamed to say).

The peoples palace is incredible size wise(it has 1000 rooms, it's so big that they can't use it all) but it's also quite ugly(typical communist building), especially when you consider the beautiful architecture of interbelic Bucharest that you see around town in certain locations.

I did, thanks. I would certainly want to go back again soon, and explore the Carpathians. I do have friends there, they moved there from Moldovia, and we kind of just spent time at a Violin concert that was just incredible.

I also did a tour of that palace, I had to book a day in advance. It is very impressive from the inside. And yes, parts of Bucharest reminded me of Paris.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
you from Romania nameless?

Born and raised.

Hitman
12-29-2011, 02:00 PM
It's that way because that region has some pretty harsh winters and because the peasants use to work the fields all day long so they needed foods with high a high calory count.

The food is lighter in the plains region, though not by much :)

Let's just say that we love to eat.

I am not putting it down in any way. LOL!

I am an ameteur physique competitor, so I do a lot of dieting. I went there after having come back from a show in Vegas, so my body was not used to heavy fat foods, so I struggled a bit.

Bobby Jr
12-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Which he picked up during the rest before WTF.
...but conveniently forgot to keep up the act during Davis Cup the week after.

Either that or he got cortisone or something to mask it... which in-itself points to more issues down the track imo.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Born and raised.

I had a gf from Romania, beautiful girls from that country. Would like to travel there someday. Any pros from Romania in top 500? how is tennis popularity there?

Hitman
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
I had a gf from Romania, beautiful girls from that country.

Oh yeah.... :)

Mike Sams
12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
I had a gf from Romania, beautiful girls from that country. Would like to travel there someday. Any pros from Romania in top 500? how is tennis popularity there?

There are beautiful girls in every country, OddJack. You should look harder. :lol:

Lsmkenpo
12-29-2011, 02:13 PM

I sometimes have to wonder where these reports originate, I have been onsite at many tournaments over the years and have watched many Nadal practice sessions, which are longer and more frequent than any other player on tour. Twelve hours later a report will come out that Nadal was barely able to practice today and is struggling with <insert injury here> .

If his team is releasing this information to the press I have to wonder why?

namelessone
12-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Tennis popularity is pretty big but it has no outlet, the federation is in shambles and the only worthwhile pro's are Hanescu and maybe Ungur(who seems to be rising a bit). Copil is also a prospect but I'm not putting too much stock in him.

The future looks pretty bleak since the federation has little money and has chosen to focus mainly on the girls game, with Sorana Carstea,Dulgheru,Begu,Gallovits,Niculescu being the main competitors. Most tennis fans here(that I've met) don't really like womens tennis and even though the girls are doing ok, they aren't getting a huge amount of attention and such.

We are a pretty poor country overall yet the tennis courts seem to be pretty full all times except winter(when the price basically doubles). If we ever get another solid player like Andrei Pavel, he will have huge support. The Bucharest Open seems to do pretty well each year as well.

So to conclude, we are f**ked in the tennis department until another Ilie Nastase comes along. :)

Hitman
12-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Tennis popularity is pretty big but it has no outlet, the federation is in shambles and the only worthwhile pro's are Hanescu and maybe Ungur(who seems to be rising a bit). Copil is also a prospect but I'm not putting too much stock in him.

The future looks pretty bleak since the federation has little money and has chosen to focus mainly on the girls game, with Sorana Carstea,Dulgheru,Begu,Gallovits,Niculescu being the main competitors. Most tennis fans here(that I've met) don't really like womens tennis and even though the girls are doing ok, they aren't getting a huge amount of attention and such.

We are a pretty poor country overall yet the tennis courts seem to be pretty full all times except winter(when the price basically doubles). If we ever get another solid player like Andrei Pavel, he will have huge support. The Bucharest Open seems to do pretty well each year as well.

So to conclude, we are f**ked in the tennis department until another Ilie Nastase comes along. :)

I remeber seeing huge posters of the ATP event taking place in Bucharest, and quite a few people were talking about it in September. Did you go? I left back for London the Sunday before it started.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I remeber seeing huge posters of the ATP event taking place in Bucharest, and quite a few people were talking about it in September. Did you go? I left back for London the Sunday before it started.

I missed it, I was on vacation at the time but I did go in previous years.

As I said, the potential is huge but we simply don't have any solid players to back.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
There are beautiful girls in every country, OddJack. You should look harder. :lol:

Sure there are...but there is a higher percentage on some countries. For example Russian women are famous for their looks. Over all East block Europe has some real pretty women. It's a matter of taste as well.

Lsmkenpo
12-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Whats wrong with supporting Hanescu, he is a pretty good player and seems to be a nice guy that keeps to himself?

What kind of support do they give him in Romania?

namelessone
12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Whats wrong with supporting Hanescu, he is a pretty good player and seems to be a nice guy that keeps to himself?

What kind of support do they give him in Romania?

People thought he was gonna be another Andrei Pavel and except a couple of decent DC ties and some good results a couple of years ago, he has pretty much dissappointed.

Victor also has a problem of being pretty reserved and even in his interviews, he doesn't exactly inspire confidence so people don't think he has it in him to do any good. When he won his first ATP title many people were surprised, since he hadn't done much since making the RG QF back in 2005.

Having many injuries didn't help either.

The conclusion is that most people see him as a underachiever that doesn't have much confidence in himself so support isn't that high as it used to be. By comparison, Pavel was very loved into his 30's, even when he was exiting tournaments in first rounds constantly. Why? Because Pavel, to some level, overachieved and always had a winning attitude, he wasn't as shy/reserved as Hanescu.

Basically, people see Victor as a guy that can hang around the top50-100 level but they want something more. This country has given tennis a Ilie Nastase and I'm sure you all appreciated Pavel and his amazing backhand. Hanescu pales when compared to them and what's worse, the guys coming after Victor look even worse.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Hanescue spat on fans during a match, where he lost.

Not such nice guy. Not that the crowd were acting ok, but still. Spit on the crowd?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PfGVF6CBFQ

Not such nice guy that keeps to himself ...

Lsmkenpo
12-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Not such nice guy. Not that the crowd were acting ok, but still. Spit on the crowd?

From what I heard those fans where calling him a gypsy and taunting him the entire match. The umpire shouldn't have let that occur.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Nah, this is an exception, he is VERY reserved normally but there was a group of hecklers that called him gypsy throughout the match(and it was a five setter if I remember it right), gypsy being a very grave insult in the whole Balkan area.

So in this case it's like if you have a shy kid and push him, push him some more, until he snaps and pushes back, with unfortunate consequences here.

Anybody that has watched Hanescu over the years will tell you that this was his only major act of misconduct, he is almost invinsible on the tour otherwise.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Nah, this is an exception, he is VERY reserved normally but there was a group of hecklers that called him gypsy throughout the match(and it was a five setter if I remember it right), gypsy being a very grave insult in the whole Balkan area.

So in this case it's like if you have a shy kid and push him, push him some more, until he snaps and pushes back, with unfortunate consequences here.

Anybody that has watched Hanescu over the years will tell you that this was his only major act of misconduct, he is almost invinsible on the tour otherwise.

Doesnt matter. Fans act like that pretty much in every match. Bottom line is a nice guy who keeps to himself doens let fury take him over and do such a thing in front of cameras. You cannot justify it with fans insulting him. Do you approve such an act or no? Dont make excuses, he is not Nadal

namelessone
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Doesnt matter. Fans act like that pretty much in every match. Bottom line is a nice guy who keeps to himself doens let fury take him over and do such a thing in front of cameras. You cannot justify it with fans insulting him. Do you approve such an act or no? Dont make excuses, he is not Nadal

No they don't.

Players don't have insults hurled at them throughout a match regularly, especially racially charged ones.

This was ONE INCIDENT in exceptional circumstances.

Victor would be a perfect candidate for the Edberg Award otherwise since the guy is very nice and is the very definition of keeping to yourself.

I don't approve of the act but I understand it perfectly in this context. If you were Romanian you would know why he reacted so badly. We are called gypsy abroad despite having nothing to do with them and their bad rep(which is highly justified) gets put on us. Worse they call themselves Roma just so would be easier to confuse with Romanian. Most everybody in the balkans hates gipsies for good reason and to be associated with them is highly offensive.

It's the equivalent of James Blake playing a match while being called ni**er(and James actually does have african roots whereas Victor has nothing to do with gipsies) all the time.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 02:53 PM
No they don't.

Players don't have insults hurled at them throughout a match regularly.

This was ONE INCIDENT in exceptional circumstances.

Victor would be a perfect candidate for the Edberg Award otherwise since the guy is very nice and is the very definition of keeping to yourself.

The nice guy would keep his cool in exceptional circumstances as well.

Spiting on fans is way over the top.

Let me ask you this. Do you think Nadal would do the same, or something similar, had he been insulted, the worst possible, during a match? Yes or No and why?

Mainad
12-29-2011, 03:03 PM

They usually do. Djokovic gave it a miss this year but Federer played it.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 03:04 PM
The nice guy would keep his cool in exceptional circumstances as well.

Everybody snaps, the players you picture as nice you were lucky enough to avoid such situations on a tennis court. Victor has played against DC crowds so he's used to hostility but he said after this incident he said that he never experienced something like this before, to be heckled(and racially I might add) from beginning to end with the ump doing nothing about it. Worse, this was at WB, where you expect civility from the crowd.

Let me ask you this. Do you think Nadal would do the same, or something similar, had he been insulted, the worst possible, during a match? Yes or No and why?

What would be a racially charged insult for a spaniard? :confused:

In what context would Nadal be insulted racially?

Players are justified to do whatever(within boundaries) they are being discriminated against. There have been many black football(soccer) players that have walked off the field when parts of the stadium started to chant like monkeys or throw bananas at them. Why? Because they felt that they are not respected and that no one is doing anything about it.

If I was Victor I would have jumped in the stands to beat those s**theads up(since the ump was apparently a dumbass) though in this case he would have received a big suspension.

decades
12-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Doesn't he ALWAYS take February off?

EDIT:

March: Indian Wells, Miami

January: Australian Open
March: Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami

So for the last 2 years, he didn't play any tournaments in February. Doesn't seem like a big deal, IMO

shhhh. don't tell the media. it's our little secret.

Mainad
12-29-2011, 03:14 PM

From what I heard about it, a certain bunch of 'fans' (I think they were German) were constantly insulting Hanescu and making obscene comments about his mother. He snapped and spat at them. He shouldn't have done it but sometimes the provocations from idiots like this can be just too much. IMO the umpire was also at fault for not getting security to have the offending fans removed.

As far as I'm aware there have never been any other such incidents concerning Hanescu so it's not like he has a reputation for it.

OddJack
12-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Everybody snaps, the players you picture as nice you were lucky enough to avoid such situations on a tennis court. Victor has played against DC crowds so he's used to hostility but he said after this incident he said that he never experienced something like this before, to be heckled(and racially I might add) from beginning to end with the ump doing nothing about it. Worse, this was at WB, where you expect civility from the crowd.

What would be a racially charged insult for a spaniard? :confused:

In what context would Nadal be insulted racially?

Players are justified to do whatever(within boundaries) they are being discriminated against. There have been many black football(soccer) players that have walked off the field when parts of the stadium started to chant like monkeys or throw bananas at them. Why? Because they felt that they are not respected and that no one is doing anything about it.

If I was Victor I would have jumped in the stands to beat those s**theads up(since the ump was apparently a dumbass) though in this case he would have received a big suspension.

You fail namelessness.

Doesnt matter what context, you could not imagine Nadal doing it, could you?
And then, you dont approve of the act, but if you were Victor you would beat them up?
You approve of the act under exceptional circumstances, but dont approve of the act?

You are full of it namelessness, like always. You come up with bunch of meaningless bubbles.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 03:33 PM
You fail namelessness.

Doesnt matter what context, you could not imagine Nadal doing it, could you?
And then, you dont approve of the act, but if you were Victor you would beat them up?
You approve of the act under exceptional circumstances, but dont approve of the act?

Yes, specifically because it's exceptional circumstances, that shouldn't exist on a tennis court in the modern age.

Stop judging people, mr perfect, unless you've been in their shoes. I know the kind of pressure you feel when being called a gypsy, especially when you have nothng to do with them. It's like people calling you a lowlife. Well, I can only take so many people calling me a lowlife to my face before I snap.

I've never spit at anybody in my life but I won't hesitate to take any offensive measures with people that get in my face and don't leave me alone. When that moment comes, the gloves are off. That moment came for Victor after being heckled for hours.

I'd like to see you in his place, how well you would keep your cool. We're not talking a couple minutes here, we're talking beginning to end basically.

You don't realize how serious this was for a otherwise reserved guy like Victor to do something like this. A guy like Connors or Nastase would have jumped in the stands long ago if they were heckled like this.

But what I am talking to you for, you obviously do no wrong so you can't relate.

pound cat
12-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Will he play A.O????

AO is in January, not February

West Coast Ace
12-29-2011, 03:37 PM
This is the 1st time Rafa announced it in a presser. And discussed a magical shoulder problem that hurt in London but amazingly was ok a week later so he could play Davis Cup on CLAY.

Whatever floats your boat - if you want to have a False Idol, knock yourself out.

pound cat
12-29-2011, 03:39 PM
He is entitled to do whatever he wants to do given all the success and recordbreaking he has done in tennis and the state of his body.

Saving his body for Davis Cup would be fine.

namelessone
12-29-2011, 03:46 PM
This is the 1st time Rafa announced it in a presser.

And? Why does announcing it make it so important? It was an announcement among many others. It's something Nadal has almost always done in February.

And discussed a magical shoulder problem that hurt in London but amazingly was ok a week later so he could play Davis Cup on CLAY.

ďI had a problem before London in my shoulder, I had to stop for ten days before the World Tour Finals in London. I got better, I was OK. After the first match against [Mardy] Fish I felt it a little bit another time, but next day I had an infiltration (injection) in the shoulder and it worked fantastic, I was able to play perfect the next two days in London and the Davis Cup.

ďBut after the last match in the Davis Cup against Del Potro I felt the shoulder. I didnít want to stop in December, because I understand that I donít have enough time to stop and to practice to prepare for the next season. So two days later on Wednesday I was on court practising and on Friday I had to stop, I had a problem on the shoulder."

Or if you want the short story, Nadal had problems with his shoulder before WTF, stopped for a while, felt pain in the Fish match and played against Fed and Jo in WTF plus DC with painkillers.. Now it appears that he has some shoulder issues again.

Whatever floats your boat - if you want to have a False Idol, knock yourself out.

Yes, yes, I know, false idol and all that. It always comes back to the "idol", a word much used by a certain camp, they love it almost as much as "excuse".
Luckily for you, you worship a "true" idol.

nikdom
12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Ah, the maestro of vacuous, argument-for-argument's-sake posts is here.

Good to see you namelessone. :)

namelessone
12-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Ah, the maestro of vacuous, argument-for-argument's-sake posts is here.

Good to see you namelessone. :)

Hey, I'd rather pointlessly argue than pointlessly troll.

Mainad
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Y

Tend to agree with this. Nadal loves to be seen as the underdog no matter who he is playing. I've lost count of the number of times he has said before a match that so-and-so is a good player and he (Nadal) will have to play really good tennis if he is to have a chance! (and we could easily be taking about the 1st round of a tournament! :)

nikdom
12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey, I'd rather pointlessly argue than pointlessly troll.

Don't flatter yourself. You're a troll too. Just a very verbose and pointless one. :)

namelessone
12-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Don't flatter yourself. You're a troll too. Just a very verbose and pointless one. :)

I guess there comes a point in everyone's online life where you troll without knowing it. :)

Lsmkenpo
12-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Now your talking my language :)

nikdom
12-29-2011, 04:14 PM
I guess there comes a point in everyone's online life where you troll without knowing it. :)

Kudos for admitting it. We are all trolls here at one point or other.

Crisstti
12-29-2011, 04:58 PM
3) He gets injured and doesn't finish the match. Translation: He found an excuse to not finish the match, he was not injured. (ex: AO 2010)

Whatever he does or says, you, haters, will never be satisfied. If he doesn't say anything before and then can't play, it's just an excuse. Proof: he didn't talk about it before. If he talks about it before, there is another problem.

Quite pathetic, really.

This is no news anyway. Rafa had already said in a TV interview after the DC that he would take all of February off. I guess the international press didn't pick it up then?. :confused:

But that's called lying, right? That's using the press to get to where you want to be at. Didnt he do the same before Davis? He said the exact same thing...was he the underdog there too? NO.
So lets be honest. This is obviously a lie. Dont try to sugar coat it.

No, that is certainly not what a lie is. A lie would be to say he has a problem in his shoulder while his shoulder is perfectly fine.

This is pathetic: can't come out and admit he has no shot of winning hardcourt tournaments against Djokovic, Roger (and Murray?). If his shoulder were really in bad shape no way he'd play in January - he'd rest/rehab until it was 100% - even if it too until Monte Carlo... :)

I guess it's not in really bad shape then?.

Crisstti
12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
If Murray doesn't win a major, he'll have the unenviable tag of being the best player never to win a major, considering all those masters titles, Queen's Club titles etc.

I really hope he does... wouldn't seem right that he wouldn't.

I don't even know why they care. If a player starts the match, it's their job to find a way to win, whatever condition they're in. Retiring is like submitting. If Rafa was injured and lost, the loss is just as legitimate as if he was 100% fit with no injury.

Bitterness. That's why they care.

“I had a problem before London in my shoulder, I had to stop for ten days before the World Tour Finals in London. I got better, I was OK. After the first match against [Mardy] Fish I felt it a little bit another time, but next day I had an infiltration (injection) in the shoulder and it worked fantastic, I was able to play perfect the next two days in London and the Davis Cup.

“But after the last match in the Davis Cup against Del Potro I felt the shoulder. I didn’t want to stop in December, because I understand that I don’t have enough time to stop and to practice to prepare for the next season. So two days later on Wednesday I was on court practising and on Friday I had to stop, I had a problem on the shoulder."

Or if you want the short story, Nadal had problems with his shoulder before WTF, stopped for a while, felt pain in the Fish match and played against Fed and Jo in WTF plus DC with painkillers.. Now it appears that he has some shoulder issues again.

Bringing facts into the argument? :)

tusharlovesrafa
12-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Were you really a "rafa fan" on first place??lol..:)

cc0509
12-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Which would lead an astute person to ask, "could Nadal really be that seriously injured if he is playing an exo and Doha before the AO?" Answer: NO.

cc0509
12-29-2011, 07:25 PM

I am sure that will continue as well. This is just a new twist.

cc0509
12-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Yeah right, I am sure Nole feels awful. He is going to beat Nadal to a pulp in AO if they meet with no mercy.

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Come on, Clakry, that was a fluke win. The real match was AO 11 where Nole straight-setted Rogi.

Nole was tired after winning all those clay masters, while "Rogi kept fresh by losing in early rounds throughout the year, so he could win WTF". You really should read the Nadal news thread. Full of wisdom. And Loservile's posts, too.

Nadal would have won USO if he faced Rogi, since Nadal too kept fresh throughout the year by losing to Nole, --- I am just going by the logic of Lolvile and other Nadal fans. Not my words.

babbette
12-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Lies. It's to get married

Sentinel
12-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Ah, you are back! We wuz wonderin'.

bluetrain4
12-30-2011, 07:31 AM
It's smart in the long term if he needs to recover from nagging injuries.

But, I don't like that he's announcing it before the tournaments he will play in January. IMO, he should have just played through the AO and then announced his month off thereafter - "to rest and recuperate and be in the best possible shape for the rest of the season," or some other general statement.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 07:59 AM

I never left you.You are in my heart.:)

OddJack
12-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Sentinel is in trouble,

Tushar loves him.

Whats gonna happen to your image sentinel??

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Sentinel is in trouble,

Tushar loves him.

He should be really concerned as he barely lives 500 kilo-metres away from my place.

Sentinel
12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Sentinel is in trouble,

Tushar loves him.

Shh. I was welcoming Babbette back from her long sabbatical. Don't let Toosh hear that.

Yeah, Aphex, Gorecki, Vive le, and I are always in JesusLovesFederer's heart.

aphex
12-30-2011, 08:37 AM
He should be really concerned as he barely lives 500 kilo-metres away from my place.

http://www.nefariousfilms.com/Images/Monsters/chucky.jpg

Sentinel
12-30-2011, 08:40 AM
OMG, sooo cuuuuute, is this also a Nadal fan ?
Was he caught cutting Nole's strings ?

SLD76
12-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes, specifically because it's exceptional circumstances, that shouldn't exist on a tennis court in the modern age.

Stop judging people, mr perfect, unless you've been in their shoes. I know the kind of pressure you feel when being called a gypsy, especially when you have nothng to do with them. It's like people calling you a lowlife. Well, I can only take so many people calling me a lowlife to my face before I snap.

I've never spit at anybody in my life but I won't hesitate to take any offensive measures with people that get in my face and don't leave me alone. When that moment comes, the gloves are off. That moment came for Victor after being heckled for hours.

I'd like to see you in his place, how well you would keep your cool. We're not talking a couple minutes here, we're talking beginning to end basically.

You don't realize how serious this was for a otherwise reserved guy like Victor to do something like this. A guy like Connors or Nastase would have jumped in the stands long ago if they were heckled like this.

But what I am talking to you for, you obviously do no wrong so you can't relate.

Oddjack is probably the same poster who criticizes the WS for not playing Indian Wells ....

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 08:46 AM

Is that you in this pic?

aphex
12-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Is that you in this pic?

You are so perceptive tushie, that's exactly what i meant.

babbette
12-30-2011, 08:52 AM

AW you missed me? :p

aphex
12-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Are you a gypsy?

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 08:54 AM
You are so perceptive tushie, that's exactly what i meant.

It is quite late in athens and you must go for a sleep or else you might see you own face as a nightmare..

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 08:55 AM
AW you missed me? :p

I don't know abt senti but I did miss you..:)

namelessone
12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Are you a gypsy?

No, but in my country gypsy is a term for criminals since almost the whole ethnicity is into crime of various sorts. It's so prevalent that a honest gypsy will surprise most Romanians since they are used to the "standard" variety. It's one of the worst insults you can call a Romanian and Hanescu was subjected to it for the majority of the match. I talk about Romania but I don't know any country in the Balkans that has a positive outlook on gypsies.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
No, but in my country gypsy is a term for criminals since almost the whole ethnicity is into crime of various sorts. It's so prevalent that a honest gypsy will surprise most Romanians since they are used to the "standard" variety. It's one of the worst insults you can call a Romanian and Hanescu was subjected to it for the majority of the match. I talk about Romania but I don't know any country in the Balkans that has a positive outlook on gypsies.

Hey I remeber watching a documentary on discovery channel in which they showed about "dracula blood sucking" tradition in romania..Where people form a community and drink each others blood..Is that true??:twisted:

namelessone
12-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Hey I remeber watching a documentary on discovery channel in which they showed about "dracula blood sucking" tradition in romania..Where people form a community and drink each others blood..Is that true??:twisted:

I honestly have no idea. I don't know what the whole country is up to but this sounds pretty false, even for the more backwards rural areas.

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:04 AM
No, but in my country gypsy is a term for criminals since almost the whole ethnicity is into crime of various sorts. It's so prevalent that a honest gypsy will surprise most Romanians since they are used to the "standard" variety. It's one of the worst insults you can call a Romanian and Hanescu was subjected to it for the majority of the match.

I'm kidding...I hate them too...the way those poor children are raised...

I smoked a bit of weed when I was younger, and one of the easiest ways to get some weed back then was to go to a gypsy settlement, so I did once...and I saw 7-8-9 year old kids smoking up, crawling in their disgusting tents...it really was subhuman...

raphMODE
12-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Fed will be #2 sooner than expected.... Hey!
Ė

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:06 AM

No, Tushie, you merely imagined that.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:08 AM

I smoked a bit of weed when I was younger, and one of the easiest ways to get some weed back then was to go to a gypsy settlement, so I did once...and I saw 7-8-9 year old kids smoking up, crawling in their disgusting tents...it really was subhuman...

And you call "Mr rafa" a doper??utter disgrace..

Cup8489
12-30-2011, 09:10 AM
And you call "Mr rafa" a doper??utter disgrace..

I wasn't aware weed counted as doping... that means a third of the world is doping!

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:13 AM
I wasn't aware weed counted as doping... that means a third of the world is doping!

I havn't heard any one here smoking weed so that was my guess.

namelessone
12-30-2011, 09:19 AM

You know how many kids the AVERAGE gypsy has(at least for Romania)?

Five. Five f**king kids. We are being colonized from the inside out. The gypsy population in Romania was maybe 2-3% 20 years ago, now I bet it's easily 7%.

There's a popular joke in Romania about this: Two gypsies, husband and wife, see that their kid is pretty dirty after playing in the mud. One says to the other: should we wash him up or do we make another one?

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Five. Five f**king kids. We are being colonized from the inside out. The gypsy population in Romania was maybe 2-3% 20 years ago, now I bet it's easily 7%.

There's a popular joke in Romania about this: Two gypsies, husband and wife, see that their kid is pretty dirty after playing in the mud. One says to the other: should we wash him up or do we make another one?

Thankfully there are very few here...my guess would be less than 0.5%...

Legend of Borg
12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a good year for a Rafa Slam(tm).

namelessone
12-30-2011, 09:24 AM

I hope you appreciate how lucky you are.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Damn,I thought that aphex is taking jibes at namelessone by refering to him as "gypsy"(rafa's and shakira music vdieos),but I never thought it would have such a dirty meaning.

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Damn,I thought that aphex is taking jibes at namelessone by refering to him as "gypsy"(rafa's and shakira music vdieos),but I never thought it would have such a dirty meaning.

The kid in your avatar looks like a gypsy...who is it?

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:47 AM
I hope you appreciate how lucky you are.

Yep, we only get the finest Romanian export here...winkwink :)

interjim
12-30-2011, 09:56 AM

That sounds suspiciously like something Adolf Hitler might have said.

Hitman
12-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Yep, we only get the finest Romanian export here...winkwink :)

One thing I noticed when I was visiting my friends in Athens was the amount of dogs wondering around, especially on that square opposite I think a parlament building. They had tags on them though, don't know what that meant. I remember climbing up to the Akropolis, which by the way is just incredible, and I nearly stepped on a sleep dog, hidden and lying between the rocks. Awesome views though!

I also remember that a news journalist was shooting a report, and a random guy walked past him, and puked up right near him! LOL! He was not very happy.

TMF
12-30-2011, 09:59 AM
If Nadal don't want to play in February, just say he's not interested in any events available in that month. Stop making up story about nursing an injury when he doesn't have one.

Notice he was PERFECTLY fine during DC and now is playing Mubadala.

aphex
12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
One thing I noticed when I was visiting my friends in Athens was the amount of dogs wondering around, especially on that square opposite I think a parlament building. They had tags on them though, don't know what that meant. I remember climbing up to the Akropolis, which by the way is just incredible, and I nearly stepped on a sleep dog, hidden and lying between the rocks. Awesome views though!

I also remember that a news journalist was shooting a report, and a random guy walked past him, and puked up right near him! LOL! He was not very happy.

Yeah...there are many strays in Athens unfortunately...

Do you remember where you stayed?

Mustard
12-30-2011, 10:10 AM

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18100000/Andy-andy-barclay-18121323-602-551.jpg

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah...there are many strays in Athens unfortunately...

Do you remember where you stayed?

Yes. I stayed in the business district area. There is a main road that you can walk that goes from there towards Akropolis, and the Akropolis museum. From my direction, the Temple of Zeus was on the right hand side.

aphex
12-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Yes. I stayed in the business district area. There is a main road that you can walk that goes from there towards Akropolis, and the Akropolis museum. From my direction, the Temple of Zeus was on the right hand side.

Kolonaki?

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Kolonaki?

Do you know the Athens Atrium Hotel? That was where I was. It is next to the main road.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 10:18 AM
The kid in your avatar looks like a gypsy...who is it?

That's me..but for me gypsy means sumthing else.

namelessone
12-30-2011, 10:19 AM
If Nadal don't want to play in February, just say he's not interested in any events available in that month. Stop making up story about nursing an injury when he doesn't have one.

Notice he was PERFECTLY fine during DC and now is playing Mubadala.

http://www.sport360.com/article/shoulder-injury-hampering-rafael-nadals-preparations-2012

ďI had a problem before London in my shoulder, I had to stop for ten days before the World Tour Finals in London. I got better, I was OK. After the first match against [Mardy] Fish I felt it a little bit another time, but next day I had an infiltration (injection) in the shoulder and it worked fantastic, I was able to play perfect the next two days in London and the Davis Cup.

But after the last match in the Davis Cup against Del Potro I felt the shoulder. I didnít want to stop in December, because I understand that I donít have enough time to stop and to practice to prepare for the next season. So two days later on Wednesday I was on court practising and on Friday I had to stop, I had a problem on the shoulder.

I really didnít know if I was able to come here until three days ago. I didnít know if I had enough practice. I practiced as much as I can, not as much as I would like, and hopefully the shoulder will work well, itís not 100 per cent perfect, itís better, thatís why Iím here.Ē

aphex
12-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Do you know the Athens Atrium Hotel? That was where I was. It is next to the main road.

Just googled it...was it ok? there are far better places/areas to stay at though...

aphex
12-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Doesn't matter gypsy baby.

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Do you know where the valley of flowers is? I went there back in 97, a long time ago when I was a young teenager.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Doesn't matter gypsy baby.

I am shakira's gypsy,nananannana

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Do you know where the valley of flowers is? I went there back in 97, a long time ago when I was a young teenager.

Valley of Flowers???lol..You remind me of one of William wordsworth poems that i red in my school...

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Just googled it...was it ok? there are far better places/areas to stay at though...

It was close to where my friends were. They could come see me after work much more easily. I would do the tourist thing during the day, and then spend time with them in the evening. So it was ideal in that sense.

The Hotel was nice, can't complain at all. Honestly I would only go back to sleep, most of the time I was out exploring, meeting locals, and hanging out with my friends.

Which part of Athens do you live in? If you were at the Akropolis, which way to your place?

OddJack
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.sport360.com/article/shoulder-injury-hampering-rafael-nadals-preparations-2012

But after the last match in the Davis Cup against Del Potro I felt the shoulder. I didnít want to stop in December, because I understand that I donít have enough time to stop and to practice to prepare for the next season. So two days later on Wednesday I was on court practising and on Friday I had to stop, I had a problem on the shoulder.

I really didnít know if I was able to come here until three days ago. I didnít know if I had enough practice. I practiced as much as I can, not as much as I would like, and hopefully the shoulder will work well, itís not 100 per cent perfect, itís better, thatís why Iím here.Ē

Isnt it a vary mysterious shoulder injury? It goes away and comes back, then goes away again.

How do you play 3 events with a shoulder injury? Are you nuts? Do you realize how meaningless " my shoulder not 100%" is? like its a fuel tank that still runs the engine if it only has 50%?

You may say, well its not serious injury...then whay mentioning it in the press?

If it's serious then why make it worse by playing?

Dont you have any common sense left??

aphex
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM

No, but Athens used to be very different and I lived in the suburbs back then...hope you have fond memories of us though...

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Valley of Flowers???lol..You remind me of one of William wordsworth poems that i red in my school...

It is in the foothills of the Himalayas. I went there with my family, when we were in India. Beautiful waterfalls along the way.

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:29 AM
No, but Athens used to be very different and I lived in the suburbs back then...hope you have fond memories of us though...

Yes, I have very fond memories of Athens, and I enjoyed meeting all the locals. There was this really cool fish restaurant just left of the Temple of Zeus, met some nice folk there. I went there a couple of times. Would certainly go back if I got the chance. :)

I also like Attiki (Hope I spelt it right).

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 10:29 AM
It is in the foothills of the Himalayas. I went there with my family, when we were in India. Beautiful waterfalls along the way.

Sorry,I just googled it came to know about it
now...thnx for telling me..It's in the state of uttarakhand..tHERE ARE lods of beautiful place here to visit..

namelessone
12-30-2011, 10:31 AM
You may say, well its not serious injury...then whay mentioning it in the press?

You do realize that he gets asked things about his health, right? It's not like he is inserting this sore shoulder into casual conversation with the journos. In fact he is downplaying it, saying at the end that it's a bit better now seeing as he entered Abu Dhabi when his appearance was doubtful.

If it's serious then why make it worse by playing?

It was serious enough for him to skip several days of practice but with painkillers it feels better now and seeing as it is better, why not enter?
If something should go wrong(as in the pain coming) back, he can always skip what he has from now till AO.

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Sorry,I just googled it came to know about it
now...thnx for telling me..It's in the state of uttarakhand..tHERE ARE lods of beautiful place here to visit..

Is that close to where you are? I spent a day in Delhi before we went that way. It took us three days by road, so I saw a lot of amazing sites. The Ganges was quite a sight!!! Then took a train down to Mumbai.

Mumbai was just a little too humid for my liking, I preferred the north. I really wanted to see Goa, but we ran out of time. I would like to go back and do some more travelling. Also want to see Taj Mahal.

OddJack
12-30-2011, 10:43 AM
You do realize that he gets asked things about his health, right? It's not like he is inserting this sore shoulder into casual conversation with the journos. In fact he is downplaying it, saying at the end that it's a bit better now seeing as he entered Abu Dhabi when his appearance was doubtful.

It was serious enough for him to skip several days of practice but with painkillers it feels better now and seeing as it is better, why not enter?
If something should go wrong(as in the pain coming) back, he can always skip what he has from now till AO.

Oh, so pain killer makes it better. And that's the solution to his injuries.

You know what, if he is honest about his injuries someday they will take him off the court on a stretcher.

And journos can ask anything they want and he is under no obligation to answer it. You know very well that in the past he he has refused to go into detail whenever he chose to.

I have never heard of such a thing namlessness, that a player announces time off for an injury and then at the same time says he will play 3 events till then.

LOL common. It is your chance to show you call on BS when you see it. Like I did when Rodge dismissed Novak's return FH on match point as something " you grew up like that"

You know what? if anything it shows his mental weakness. He is already sees himself as defeated or not doing well at AO. There is no other reason that makes sense.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Is that close to where you are? I spent a day in Delhi before we went that way. It took us three days by road, so I saw a lot of amazing sites. The Ganges was quite a sight!!! Then took a train down to Mumbai.

Mumbai was just a little too humid for my liking, I preferred the north. I really wanted to see Goa, but we ran out of time. I would like to go back and do some more travelling. Also want to see Taj Mahal.

It's around 550 miles or 850 kilometres away from lucknow(where i live)so you can judge by yourself.I live in north so weather here is extreme,It varies from 45 degree celcius to 2-3 degrees in winters..Taj Mahal is in agra.My mum is from agra and i will be visting agra on 13th of january for my uncle's marriage.
I have never been Goa,I hope i could visit it once.

Hitman
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
It's around 550 miles or 850 kilometres away from lucknow(where i live)so you can judge by yourself.I live in north so weather here is extreme,It varies from 45 degree celcius to 2-3 degrees in winters..Taj Mahal is in agra.My mum is from agra and i will be visting agra on 13th of january for my uncle's marriage.
I have never been Goa,I hope i could visit it once.

I can imagine you must have extreme weather patterns because of the Himalayas. You live in the plains? I remember talking to some people there, and they said that people living on the plains just don't mix well with those living in the mountains. Is this true?

So you have seen Taj Mahal then. Must be incredible. Is it true that the infrastructure of the Taj Mahal is breaking down. I was reading that the way the building was built, the local river was important, but because it is drying up, it is effecting the foundation, and it is starting to crack. Is this true?

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
I can imagine you must have extreme weather patterns because of the Himalayas. You live in the plains? I remember talking to some people there, and they said that people living on the plains just don't mix well with those living in the mountains. Is this true?

So you have seen Taj Mahal then. Must be incredible. Is it true that the infrastructure of the Taj Mahal is breaking down. I was reading that the way the building was built, the local river was important, but because it is drying up, it is effecting the foundation, and it is starting to crack. Is this true?

Yes,i live in plains.People living in plains have different facial features as compared to people in mountains plus language may also vary so few differences does exists,but I don't think it's effects us to much.

I have seen taj-mahal 10 years ago,allthough I visit agra but i don't visit taj-mahal that often.Yamuna river that flows at the backside of taj-mahal has become totally dry.I red in papers that water from river is very important to keep wooden planks situated beneath the taj-mahal wet,which is important for it's foundation(as far i remember) .I hope our government takes care of it and does something about it...Taj mahal was bulit 400 years ago,so years or wear and tear has effected it.

namelessone
12-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh, so pain killer makes it better. And that's the solution to his injuries.

You know what, if he is honest about his injuries someday they will take him off the court on a stretcher.

And journos can ask anything they want and he is under no obligation to answer it. You know very well that in the past he he has refused to go into detail whenever he chose to.

I have never heard of such a thing namlessness, that a player announces time off for an injury and then at the same time says he will play 3 events till then.

LOL common. It is your chance to show you call on BS when you see it. Like I did when Rodge dismissed Novak's return FH on match point as something " you grew up like that"

You know what? if anything it shows his mental weakness. He is already sees himself as defeated or not doing well at AO. There is no other reason that makes sense.

Nadal's main focus for 2012 is Roland Garros, he has said so in a interview a couple of days ago. He probably isn't placing a lot of stock in AO and a QF shouldn't be that hard to defend. Funny enough, AO is Rafa's worst slam so far.

So I have to call Nadal's BS when you tell me? Got it.

I already called Nadal's BS on the two year ranking thing.

Mustard
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Nadal's win-loss records at the majors is:

Australian Open (7 appearances): 29-6
French Open (7 appearances): 45-1
Wimbledon (7 appearances): 35-5
US Open (9 appearances): 34-8

Crisstti
12-30-2011, 11:52 AM

I'm not even sure that's what he said. I've seen no quote. And he had said already right after the DC that he was going to take all February off... and has done the same for the last two years.

Maybe this problem with his shoulder though is why he had said recently that he maybe wouldn't get the intensity (or something to that effect) until the clay season...

SLD76
12-30-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm not even sure that's what he said. I've seen no quote. And he had said already right after the DC that he was going to take all February off... and has done the same for the last two years.

Maybe this problem with his shoulder though is why he had said recently that he maybe wouldn't get the intensity (or something to that effect) until the clay season...

I was thinking the same thing. Or perhaps he knows that it will a rough go til the clay season. We see from DC that clay is where he is playing the best.

CCNM
12-30-2011, 12:34 PM
I know some Rafa fans who are not going to like this news...:(

namelessone
12-30-2011, 12:53 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Or perhaps he knows that it will a rough go til the clay season. We see from DC that clay is where he is playing the best.

Did you watch Nadal this clay season?

LAWL.

kishnabe
12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Did you watch Nadal this clay season?

LAWL.

2009,2010,2011 were his worst performances on clay! He is declining there for sure. Even though in 2010 he won 4 consecutive clay tournaments.....he played spanish flakes in most of them. 2012 will be a little more in the decline but still the favourite on clay!

nikdom
12-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Even Sean Randall, who doesn't waste an opportunity to belittle Fed and kiss Nadal butt had strong words for Humbalito -

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-12-29/8467.php

West Coast Ace
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Even Sean Randall, who doesn't waste an opportunity to belittle Fed and kiss Nadal butt had strong words for Humbalito -

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-12-29/8467.phpThanks for sharing. The comments are amazing. Some nutter called 'jamie' quoting a woman who is an Astrologist! LMAOROTF!

Sentinel
12-30-2011, 07:37 PM

There could be many angles to this, its too general a statement. While visiting the UP hills a few years back (a remote village), a friend of mine posted there told me that the locals are wary of the plains people.
What is a really sticky point with them is if a plains guy marries a girl from their community. Sometimes this has created a big fight.

As far as Taj, many years back i read that the sweat of people walking inside has had an impact on the walls, i believe for many years they've restricted the people going in. That has also happened due to terrorist reasons. Not sure what the current situation is. Had no idea of the water bed problem.

Sentinel
12-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, I've trekked there (Valley of Flowers). Its on the way to a Sikh temple, Hemkund Sahib. Stunning, although I was there a week before the flowers were to bloom, so the place was empty and I had it to myself.

I have wonderful pics of it, I too probably was there around the same year you went. Forget Goa, I am told now its full of drugs. (I went there ages ago).

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Yes, I've trekked there (Valley of Flowers). Its on the way to a Sikh temple, Hemkund Sahib. Stunning, although I was there a week before the flowers were to bloom, so the place was empty and I had it to myself.

I have wonderful pics of it, I too probably was there around the same year you went. Forget Goa, I am told now its full of drugs. (I went there ages ago).

I didn't even know about valley of flowers..Only think which I have done close to trekking is going to Jammu(Vaishno devi)and then in OOTy I had an opportunity but I didn't go as I was too little at that time.
I wish I could go to goa and roam on beaches and take few cocaine pills.

Sentinel
12-31-2011, 02:11 AM
I didn't even know about valley of flowers..Only think which I have done close to trekking is going to Jammu(Vaishno devi)and then in OOTy I had an opportunity but I didn't go as I was too little at that time.
I wish I could go to goa and roam on beaches and take few cocaine pills.
While you are still young (and not bitter, haha), you should (with a group of friends, perhaps) go and do as many treks as possible in the UP Himalayas (Garhwal). Gangotri and Tapovan is fantastic.
Once you become my age, you'll lose your passion, mental strength and humour *wink*.

tusharlovesrafa
12-31-2011, 02:53 AM
While you are still young (and not bitter, haha), you should (with a group of friends, perhaps) go and do as many treks as possible in the UP Himalayas (Garhwal). Gangotri and Tapovan is fantastic.
Once you become my age, you'll lose your passion, mental strength and humour *wink*.

Age is just a number I think.My grandma and grandpha went to kanya kumari in jammu when they were both in sixties and seventies respectively 10 years ago.
I told you that last 2 years have been very bad for me and all the problems I faced,It's tough for you to see but it does exist.I don't have many friends.I once used to have many of them but now i have become barren.lol..Sumtimes I feel like re-living a Hollywood movie..Leave this topic..
I am planning to have a quater bottle of rum or whisky tonight at new years's eve,what's your say??I must do it secretly..
Is there any GB ROAD IN DELHI?

Aneto
12-31-2011, 03:44 AM
Nadal defts Federer 6x1, 7/5

Sentinel
12-31-2011, 05:35 AM
Age is just a number I think.My grandma and grandpha went to kanya kumari in jammu when they were both in sixties and seventies respectively 10 years ago.
I told you that last 2 years have been very bad for me and all the problems I faced,It's tough for you to see but it does exist.I don't have many friends.I once used to have many of them but now i have become barren.lol..Sumtimes I feel like re-living a Hollywood movie..Leave this topic..
I am planning to have a quater bottle of rum or whisky tonight at new years's eve,what's your say??I must do it secretly..
Is there any GB ROAD IN DELHI?
I did all my treks alone. DIdn't want someone ruining the silence. Just take the night bus to Garwhal, and the earlier morning bus to the high mountains. But you can only do this between mid May and Mid september.

Don;t give me this stuff about tough to see. I see real problems, hunger, disease and death all around me. People who don't have money to treat their kids. I do get a little pi$$ed off by someone living a comfortable life, but upset or suicidal because some GF left him, or Daddy didn't buy him the hottest mobike or whatever.

Grow up, bro, nothing is the end of the world. You'll wake up tomorrow, or day after and be fine. Whatever you've lost, i guarantee you will forget it one day and find something much much better. It's happened plenty of times with me. Now I am no longer afraid of losing anything.

If you really still feel bad, I really suggest you visit some counselors, there must be some NGO in Lucknow that does counselling for free. I've taken people to them here, but people I took were not interested in getting better. You could be suffering from depression and need medication. Worth a check and nothing to be ashamed of. Stay of alcohol, tobacco and that kind of nonsense.

tusharlovesrafa
12-31-2011, 07:25 AM
I did all my treks alone. DIdn't want someone ruining the silence. Just take the night bus to Garwhal, and the earlier morning bus to the high mountains. But you can only do this between mid May and Mid september.

Don;t give me this stuff about tough to see. I see real problems, hunger, disease and death all around me. People who don't have money to treat their kids. I do get a little pi$$ed off by someone living a comfortable life, but upset or suicidal because some GF left him, or Daddy didn't buy him the hottest mobike or whatever.

Grow up, bro, nothing is the end of the world. You'll wake up tomorrow, or day after and be fine. Whatever you've lost, i guarantee you will forget it one day and find something much much better. It's happened plenty of times with me. Now I am no longer afraid of losing anything.

If you really still feel bad, I really suggest you visit some counselors, there must be some NGO in Lucknow that does counselling for free. I've taken people to them here, but people I took were not interested in getting better. You could be suffering from depression and need medication. Worth a check and nothing to be ashamed of. Stay of alcohol, tobacco and that kind of nonsense.

It seems you have quite a short memory.I have been visiting a pshycologist for last 1.75 years and he has helped me a lot and I told you this before.I don't understand why do you always keep reffering me to visit "NGO".

I have seen people fighting,my dad drinking and smoking a lot and having an affair and lots of stuff..I was never able to let my emotions and slowly slowly it ate me from inside.I never had any financial problems,oops according to you people having money cannot suffer from disease or shortcomings,only poor people having no money has the real problems..yOu are just coming down to hard on me,phewwwww..

I have never smoked nor drank any alcohol..I was just joking as I wanted to find out that wheather u drink or not.

Sentinel
12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
It seems you have quite a short memory.I have been visiting a pshycologist for last 1.75 years and he has helped me a lot and I told you this before.I don't understand why do you always keep reffering me to visit "NGO".

I have seen people fighting,my dad drinking and smoking a lot and having an affair and lots of stuff..I was never able to let my emotions and slowly slowly it ate me from inside.I never had any financial problems,oops according to you people having money cannot suffer from disease or shortcomings,only poor people having no money has the real problems..yOu are just coming down to hard on me,phewwwww..

I have never smoked nor drank any alcohol..I was just joking as I wanted to find out that wheather u drink or not.
I am only "coming down hard" to help you. I've seen a lot, a lot more than i want to talk about, and having come through it, I am trying to give you a push, so you don't waste your life running after or believing in mental miseries.

I will send you some links if your account permits, but need to decide which might help. Give me a few days.

tusharlovesrafa
12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
I am only "coming down hard" to help you. I've seen a lot, a lot more than i want to talk about, and having come through it, I am trying to give you a push, so you don't waste your life running after or believing in mental miseries.

I will send you some links if your account permits, but need to decide which might help. Give me a few days.

I know i gotta push myself up..i am in a stage wheather i am neither going forward nor backward.I need to whip myself with maximum spin so that i could explode thru the court and come back to life..Thnx for your concern..I am waiting for any of you links.

aphex
01-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Bump!!!!!!!

Sentinel
01-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks batz for keeping us updated on everything in Rafa's life.

^ what happened, has Rafa got a bump on his eyebrow now ?

Legend of Borg
01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Senti, I just noticed you've achieved GOAT status.

Someday I'll join the Golden Eagle in Basalt Heaven.

TMF
01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Nadal taking February off has nothing to do with a shoulder injury. It's been plan ahead along time ago.

Had a MS event was scheduled to play in February, would there be an injury story to have a reason for skipping a month? Hell no !

Sentinel
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Senti, I just noticed you've achieved GOAT status.

Someday I'll join the Golden Eagle in Basalt Heaven.
I am sorry to hear that. I'll be looking down on you from the Golden Bull in Cortex Heaven.

tennis_pro
01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
All in all, I have to say it's a good decision from Nadal. He might be a little rusty at Indian Wells or still finding the groove in Miami but the ATP calendar is so packed in 2012, taking a longer break before the most intensive part of the season (Indian Wells, Miami, the whole clay + grass season virtually playing one after another) could bring some benefits.

Then instead of the usual 5 weeks off post Wimbledon players have 3 weeks + some of them have to play at the Olympics. If Nadal/Djokovic couldn't hold up for the entire 2011 season, there's no reason to think they will in 2012....or at least Djokovic, forgot Nadal is taking Feb off :D

DjokovicForTheWin
01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Nadal realizes how important training time is and how he won wimbledon 08 by Federer losing precious training time. He learned, I'm impressed!

aphex
01-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I am sorry to hear that. I'll be looking down on you from the Golden Bull in Cortex Heaven.

:):):):)....

nikdom
01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Howz that shoulder looking now? Still on for the break in Feb for the injury to heal?