PDA

View Full Version : Pancho Gonzalez VS Roger Federer

fed_is_GOD
12-29-2011, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=8oaZ-49eebo&feature=endscreen

stringertom
12-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the link! Efficient way to view the evolution of the serve during the last 5 decades or so. The Eagle is an airborne creature, no?

jackson vile
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Pancho is a beast, and he had to fight for everything unlike today's players.

fed_is_GOD
12-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Pancho defeated Laver, arthur ashe etc at the height of their careers.. i didnt know that until i saw this video..

boredone3456
12-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Pancho was insanely talented. He could beat anybody in his day and even at like, 25% of his best he was a nightmare to play against. Him, in his prime, with modern technology...I almost shudder to think of what he could accomplish. He would be a fierce rival for Federer on pretty much every surface and they would have some insane battles. However, I think Pancho would probably have the slight upper hand as he could grind out matches much in the way Nadal does and he had great endurance. But they would be fun to watch going at it.

fed_is_GOD
12-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the link! Efficient way to view the evolution of the serve during the last 5 decades or so. The Eagle is an airborne creature, no?

you are the man.. ;-) I follow your thread the eagle.. it is one of the best threads here.. i am an absolute worshiper of federer.. he is too good to be true..

pc1
12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Pancho defeated Laver, arthur ashe etc at the height of their careers.. i didnt know that until i saw this video..

He was a physical specimen, 6 foot 3 1/2 with very smooth strokes and a serve that Vic Braden considers the best he had ever seen. Braden believes Gonzalez today would be able to serve 140 mph easily with no strain on his body. Besides being able to hit with great power, he was capable of great touch and he was a superb mover.

He was clearly the best tennis player of the 1950's and won a ton of tournaments, tours and majors. Many people including Bud Collins and Jimmy Connors have said if they had a match to play for their life, they would pick Pancho Gonzalez to play it. They have said his will to win was second to none.

Here's another video on the Great Gonzalez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd0gJzm_EQY

Gonzalez is definitely one of the all time greats with a record arguably as great as anyone's. No doubt he was a rather intimidating player.

DeShaun
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Contrary to popular opinion owing, perhaps, to reverence for his powerful serve somehow creeping over to inhabit other facets of his game in peoples' imaginations, Gonzales--while always hitting his ground strokes extremely deep and well placed--usually did NOT hit with very much pace from his back court; so, he probably wouldn't bother Roger too much in baseline-to-baseline exchanges except by making it difficult on Roger moving forwards. That said, I have a hard time even imagining how a match between these two champions would play out, the thought of either losing to the other is unfathomable.

wings56
12-29-2011, 06:27 PM
wasnt he also a chain smoker?

jackson vile
12-30-2011, 08:19 AM
wasnt he also a chain smoker?

I think you are correct, some people have amazing genetics and it just plain does not factor in for them.

pc1
12-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Contrary to popular opinion owing, perhaps, to reverence for his powerful serve somehow creeping over to inhabit other facets of his game in peoples' imaginations, Gonzales--while always hitting his ground strokes extremely deep and well placed--usually did NOT hit with very much pace from his back court; so, he probably wouldn't bother Roger too much in baseline-to-baseline exchanges except by making it difficult on Roger moving forwards. That said, I have a hard time even imagining how a match between these two champions would play out, the thought of either losing to the other is unfathomable.

It's always hard to say with the different equipment today. Gonzalez was able to easily hit groundies at great speeds but with wood racquets the margin for error is much less than it is today when you are easily able to hit with more topspin. I have no doubt Gonzalez would have adjusted to the equipment of today easily and I have no doubt Federer would be able to adjust to wood.

Gonzalez and this is an opinion would be able to serve as well as anyone today so it would be hard for anyone to break him. As I wrote in my previous post in this thread Vic Braden felt that Gonzalez would be able to serve in the 140 mph range with very little strain on his body. So Gonzalez would be able to serve able as hard in the fifth set as in the first set.

To compare to Roddick, I think he would have as good a serve but Gonzalez was also much faster and a better athlete.

wings56
12-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I think you are correct, some people have amazing genetics and it just plain does not factor in for them.

and sadly it was stomach cancer that took his life...

DjokovicForTheWin
12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Pancho might be able to get a few games I would think.

kiki
12-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Pancho´s game seems underestimated.Not just one of the best, if not the best, serves all time, but an astonishing talent to make the hardest shot easy and comfortable, and a terrific use of tactics, paces .That was learnt in those tough old days as a pro, and he executed it perfectly.Plus, he was a great, smoth volleyer with thundering reach

pc1
12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Pancho might be able to get a few games I would think.

He might be able to get a lot of wins too.:) The guy was strong, fast, had great reflexes, one of the best serves ever, an excellent volley and played a top baseline game if he needed it. To put it in perspective, many feel Gonzalez was the greatest natural athlete that tennis has produced. He may very well have had a better serve than Roddick only he was superior to Roddick in just about every other way.

Pancho´s game seems underestimated.Not just one of the best, if not the best, serves all time, but an astonishing talent to make the hardest shot easy and comfortable, and a terrific use of tactics, paces .That was learnt in those tough old days as a pro, and he executed it perfectly.Plus, he was a great, smoth volleyer with thundering reach

He also was World Number one for many years and was a factor to beat anyone in the world from the late 1940's to the early 1970's. His record compares with anyone. Gonzalez is on the short list of the top players ever.

kiki
01-01-2012, 08:54 AM
He might be able to get a lot of wins too.:) The guy was strong, fast, had great reflexes, one of the best serves ever, an excellent volley and played a top baseline game if he needed it. To put it in perspective, many feel Gonzalez was the greatest natural athlete that tennis has produced. He may very well have had a better serve than Roddick only he was superior to Roddick in just about every other way.

He also was World Number for many years and was a factor to beat anyone in the world from the late 1940's to the early 1970's. His record compares with anyone. Gonzalez is on the short list of the top players ever.

If tennis open had happened during Pancho´s peak, he´d certainly have a few slam titles under his belt.

ben123
01-01-2012, 09:21 AM
i love it how people just talk here about pancho being the tennis god but 99% of the people did not even see him play. they just see what is written about him and begin to scream how great he is.......

kishnabe
01-01-2012, 10:31 AM
tennisplayer articles talks about his greatness, had rough patch of life. Never seen him play.....hopefully there are videos to download of his great style.

aphex
01-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Considering Gonzalez is dead, I think Federer would win.

Sentinel
01-02-2012, 02:27 AM
If PG didn't chain-smoke he would still be winning slams. Federer et al are just holding the fort till the next Pancho is born.

pc1
01-03-2012, 06:30 AM
tennisplayer articles talks about his greatness, had rough patch of life. Never seen him play.....hopefully there are videos to download of his great style.

Here's a video of him and people discussing him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd0gJzm_EQY

Yes I would favor Federer. lol.