PDA

View Full Version : How do I Improve at mini tennis

Roy125
12-29-2011, 03:51 PM
My playing style does not match that of someone who plays mini tennis, but I'm wanting to get better at it as a courtesy to how my friend likes to warm up. I like to flatten most of my forehands out and slice most of my backhands in matchplay while using very conservative grips. Is there a secret to mini tennis for someone who plays like I do?

MyFearHand
12-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Really brush up the back of the ball is what I do.

SystemicAnomaly
12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
You can also use mini-tennis to warm up your hand-eye coordination, to assist in adding more variety to your game (like more topspin) and to promote an early preparation (unit turn).

I find it useful to employ a very moderate loop or takeback with mini-tennis. However, even tho' you are not using large loop or takeback for this, you still want a full follow-thru. Try to hit most of your FHs with a wiper stroke to generate more topspin. If you have trouble hitting topspin on the BH side, it is ok to slice them. Try to make it a somewhat friendly slice -- not a low, fast skidding shot right at your friend's feet. Mini tennis should always start off a cooperative effort.

I also try to keep my feet moving during mini-tennis -- hit the ball, take a stop back or move to a recovery position, ready steps, split-step, etc.

martini1
01-01-2012, 05:48 AM
I used to over hit a lot. No take back, concentrate on the bushing motion and do a full follow thru. Lots of feel in playing mini tennis warm up. If u use a super powerful racket, it would be harder.

larry10s
01-01-2012, 06:17 AM
you can just slice (forehand and backhand) to develop touch and feel and
to keep a rally going

westcoast777
01-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Emphasize the use of spin and knee-bend. Bending the knees in mini tennis is crucial.

Roy125
01-01-2012, 04:22 PM
I'll try your tips, although it's been a long time since I've used a WW forehand.

SystemicAnomaly
01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
^ You don't have to make the WW your primary FH, but it's not a bad idea to include it in your arsenal. You can mix in a few FH slices as well, as larry10s suggests, but I would not overdo it. If you are hitting a lot of slices, particularly on the FH side, then your preparation (unit turn) is probably consistently late. Treat mini-tennis as an opportunity to develop a relaxed, early prep.

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
just remember you are primarily trying to land a good paced ball a metre (yard) or so short of the service line.

Think like that and use your natural shots to achieve it.

fuzz nation
01-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Don't hit with topspin. For mini tennis, you want to engage your feet and focus on the first move to the ball off your split-step. You can even grip your racquet up on the throat to de-power it a bit more. Just move through the ball (with your footwork) and give it some mild backspin for the touch you need in that court position. Use the mini tennis to wake up your legs.

SystemicAnomaly
01-03-2012, 10:55 AM
^ If you hit only with backspin, you will not promote an early racket preparation. Other reasons to engage in mini-tennis, besides waking up your feet/legs. I mentioned several in my 1st post above.

WildVolley
01-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm still not good at mini-tennis, but I try to use the short clip of Agassi doing it to help me concentrate on brushing up the back of the ball without pounding it for depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PF1kfJSia4