PDA

View Full Version : Was Roger happy he lost to Novak in USO 2011 SF?

bullfan
12-29-2011, 05:52 PM
It just hit me, that for all the things that Roger has done, there are those that put a black check mark next to all his losses to Rafa.

Roger has lost GS Finals to Rafa on 3 surfaces, and had he faced Rafa in the USO finals, there would have been a chance that he'd have lost to Rafa in all 4 GS finals. I think that would have been a huge black mark, more than the overall record.

Granted, I think Roger is the best, but it's awfully interesting that in GS finals, it doesn't matter the court, Rafa has the heads up.

Mustard
12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Of course not.

CocaCola
12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Seems like it hit you a bit too hard. :)

Crisstti
12-29-2011, 06:20 PM
He seemed pretty upset, so no.

AM95
12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
definitely. federer just loves to blow match points in the fifth set.

InspectorRacquet
12-29-2011, 06:25 PM
He was pretty disgruntled. Especially if you look at his post-game interview, where he expresses his anger over Djokovic's "shot heard 'round the world".

Mighty Matteo
12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
he probably would have beat Nadal in the final. Although people sensed that Federer was feeling too well in the fourth set, we now know that it was due to his wrist he injured during his match against Tsonga and maybe his thigh and ankle. His fitness is still top-notch, contrary to many people's beliefs. He could have at least given Nadal a tough match, much less beat him. We forget that Nadal's level of play wasn't very high in that tournament at all. Federer had been very sharp as evidence that he nearly and should have beaten Djokovic. There is absolutely no way that Federer would have preferred to lose.

bullfan
12-29-2011, 06:42 PM
He was pretty disgruntled. Especially if you look at his post-game interview, where he expresses his anger over Djokovic's "shot heard 'round the world".

I just wonder if Roger would have rather lost to Novak, than possibly lose to Rafa in the final. He felt like he did Rafa a favor in beating Novak in the FO. Roger's had lost to Rafa on 3 of the 4 GS surfaces and maybe didn't want to have it be all 4 surfaces.

bullfan
12-29-2011, 06:43 PM
he probably would have beat Nadal in the final. Although people sensed that Federer was feeling too well in the fourth set, we now know that it was due to his wrist he injured during his match against Tsonga and maybe his thigh and ankle. His fitness is still top-notch, contrary to many people's beliefs. He could have at least given Nadal a tough match, much less beat him. We forget that Nadal's level of play wasn't very high in that tournament at all. Federer had been very sharp as evidence that he nearly and should have beaten Djokovic. There is absolutely no way that Federer would have preferred to lose.

Well, I guess I was just wondering since Federer does seem to have a bad matchup against Nadal, and wouldn't like to see the stat of losing to Nadal on all 4 GS Finals.

DRII
12-29-2011, 08:13 PM
It just hit me, that for all the things that Roger has done, there are those that put a black check mark next to all his losses to Rafa.

Roger has lost GS Finals to Rafa on 3 surfaces, and had he faced Rafa in the USO finals, there would have been a chance that he'd have lost to Rafa in all 4 GS finals. I think that would have been a huge black mark, more than the overall record.

Granted, I think Roger is the best, but it's awfully interesting that in GS finals, it doesn't matter the court, Rafa has the heads up.

No, I don't think so...

Federer would probably have beat Nadal this year if he made it to the final.

Now last year was a different story!
Federer was bound to lose if he faced Nadal of 2010 in the USO final, no doubt! He probably let this affect him just in the slightest during the 2010 USO semi against Nole...

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Aah, a gathering of Nadal fans, last year you guys blew apart anyone who suggested this ... and now ...

Anyway, maybe it's equally just as well that Nadal never reached many finals earlier, otherwise the H2H *could* have been quite different.

But that's something Nadal fans won't understand ... coulda shoulda ...

DRII
12-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Delusional as usual!

How about you do a little research before making baseless accusations.

Of course I stated the same thing last year, seemed fairly obvious to me then as it does now...

monfed
12-29-2011, 09:20 PM
It's hard to say if he was happy deep down because a loss in the USO final to Nadal would hurt his legacy a lot(atleast according to the Nadal trolls). Ofcourse Nadal never played Roger when USO played like USO and Fed was in his prime.

In the presser, Federer did look distraught and made that unsportive comment about how Novak fluked that MP return.

All-rounder
12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Nadal definitely wasn't happy that Federer lost to Novak in semi's.

tusharlovesrafa
12-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Nadal definitely wasn't happy that Federer lost to Novak in semi's.
I was very happy that roger lost..:twisted:

Sentinel
12-29-2011, 10:16 PM
You are pretty confused for a Rafa fan.

Well, actually they all are pretty confused, so it's okay. :):)

purge
12-29-2011, 10:50 PM
*adds fuel to the fire*
seeing as he wouldve easily dispatched of nadal in the finals and taken the trophy i dont think he was very happy to lose that semi, no ;P

namelessone
12-29-2011, 11:17 PM

I have to call bulls**t on this one.

niff
12-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Omg hater :cry:

jackson vile
12-30-2011, 07:09 AM

He has talked about similar things in the past, in the the back of his head he is thinking; "Even if I win this match I will still have to face Nadal next and my odds aren't good with him." I'm not saying that he bailed out, but I am saying that your mind can play tricks on you when you need to be focusing on your current match, which Federer obviously was not.

Crisstti
12-30-2011, 07:49 AM
I just wonder if Roger would have rather lost to Novak, than possibly lose to Rafa in the final. He felt like he did Rafa a favor in beating Novak in the FO. Roger's had lost to Rafa on 3 of the 4 GS surfaces and maybe didn't want to have it be all 4 surfaces.

Mmm, no, (most) Fed fans feel that way. I'm quite sure Fed must have thought he could win. At least he seems a pretty self confident guy to me.

He has talked about similar things in the past, in the the back of his head he is thinking; "Even if I win this match I will still have to face Nadal next and my odds aren't good with him." I'm not saying that he bailed out, but I am saying that your mind can play tricks on you when you need to be focusing on your current match, which Federer obviously was not.

You mean he said that was in his mind in the 2010 semi?.

decades
12-30-2011, 08:00 AM

it hit you in head make you think "funny"?

West Coast Ace
12-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Aah, a gathering of Nadal fans, last year you guys blew apart anyone who suggested this ... and now ...

Anyway, maybe it's equally just as well that Nadal never reached many finals earlier, otherwise the H2H *could* have been quite different.

But that's something Nadal fans won't understand ... coulda shoulda ...Pretty much sums it up.

Roger would LOVE his chances against Rafa at the USO. Fast court, light balls - only the O2 World Tour Finals has better conditions for Roger's game. And as we saw in the final, Djokovic's flatter groundies were pushing Rafa around. Roger, with even flatter groundies and a better serve, would have done the same.