PDA

View Full Version : 2nd serve problem

greystar403
12-29-2011, 08:07 PM
My topspin serve is LITERALLY diving into the net.

It starts off with a very high arc when it comes off my racquet. Then it turns kamakaze on me and takes a nose dive.

Checked my toss. Over my head.

Checked my contact point. Slightly, but not excessively, lower than my first serve.

Checked my racquet head speed. Swinging through as fast as I can.

Ive been playing for 2 and a half years self taught, On my highschool varsity team, so I have no idea whats wrong at this point.

HELP?

If critisizm requires a video, Ill try to get a video as soon as I can.

greystar403
12-29-2011, 08:09 PM
My topspin serve is LITERALLY diving into the net.

It starts off with a very high arc when it comes off my racquet. Then it turns kamakaze on me and takes a nose dive.

Checked my toss. Over my head.

Checked my contact point. Slightly, but not excessively, lower than my first serve.

Checked my racquet head speed. Swinging through as fast as I can.

Ive been playing for 2 and a half years self taught, On my highschool varsity team, so I have no idea whats wrong at this point.

HELP?

If critisizm requires a video, Ill try to get a video as soon as I can.

...and ive only had 4 days on coaching (1 hour each, with a groups so i dont get looked at that much)

monomer
12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
One thing that I do when this happens is to move my grip from continental very slightly over toward eastern. Just enough to give a little more depth. Can't say much without seeing a video.

scotus
12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
A nose dive is very good. It means it has a lot of topspin.

You just need to make sure that you hit it up much higher. Exaggerate it so that ball clears the net by about 10 feet.

After a while, I think you will get the hang of it.

papa
12-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Yeah, I'd agree with scotus - nose dive is very good and that you just have to hit up more. Actually, its not a bad idea to practice hitting up as high as possible - forget about where it goes, just see how high you can hit.

rkelley
12-30-2011, 08:21 AM
I agree with scotus and papa. That dive is your friend. You just need to get it higher over the net.

You might be opening up your shoulders a bit too soon and/or tossing a bit too far in front - they're linked and can cause you to hit the ball lower over the net. You might try tossing back a bit more and make sure that you're not allowing your racquet arm shoulder to come too far forward.