PDA

View Full Version : Can Ping Pong make me worse at tennis?

jaybear1909
12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I got a Ping Pong table recently, and have been playing it pretty religiously, while disregarding tennis. I played tennis yesterday and it's totally different than I remember playing 1 week ago. My racquet seems to absorb the ball (I had never noticed it before) and everything feels weird.

And after playing tennis, I come back to play Ping Pong and find I'm worse at that now! I mis-judge the ball and lack the "ping pong" touch.

Why can't I have my cake and eat it too?

LameTennisPlayer
12-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Not as much as squash would, table tennis is a great game played it for a long time, before picking up tennis.

joe sch
12-30-2011, 04:08 AM
I play both and feel they are complementary games, unlike other racket sports like racket ball, which does Not help and may hurt your tennis game. In ping pong, you need total focus, light feet, and the ability to topspin and slice. All these skills are also important for tennis. Im assuming a tennis player would use the hand shake grip for ping pong which is complementary.

jswinf
12-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Maybe it's the length of the handle. Try gripping your tennis racket way up at the throat. And for ping-pong, be careful not to fall off the table. :)

Mick
12-30-2011, 10:20 AM
fred perry was a world champion ping pong player before he became a tennis champion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Perry

joe sch
12-30-2011, 11:00 AM
fred perry was a world champion ping pong player before he became a tennis champion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Perry

Very true and lots of tour players enjoying playing ping pong. I have not heard the same of other racket sports except for maybe paddle tennis which Gael Monfils decided to try and beat the top players in the world at a Vegas Tournament.

Fifth Set
12-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I tried playing squash for a while and was convinced that it was screwing up my tennis game.

Perhaps even worse, my (tennis-style) swing in squash was a danger to myself and others. There is no room in that darn box for either a wind up or a follow through!

Mick
12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Very true and lots of tour players enjoying playing ping pong. I have not heard the same of other racket sports except for maybe paddle tennis which Gael Monfils decided to try and beat the top players in the world at a Vegas Tournament.

Monfils vs Querrey in ping pong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPZm0tx77Vw

West Coast Ace
12-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Is there a keg of beer in the same room as the ping pong table?

PrinceMoron
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
My uncle was national champion at both concurrently, for 2 years. I could beat him at squash though.
You need to check out http://www.racketlon.net/ If you have never heard of it, is a 4 sets of Tennis/TTennis/Squash/Badminton.

I find badminton the hardest but there are lots of players out there who are weakest at tennis. I think if you are 5.5 plus at tennis, you can cope with the other racket sports.

Eightmarky
12-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Monfils plays ping pong the same way he plays tennis. Defensive.

Mick
12-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Monfils plays ping pong the same way he plays tennis. Defensive.

i thought monfils was the better ping pong player, so he took it easy on querrey :)
imo, both were pretty good because they played with incredibly bad paddles.

MarinaHighTennis
12-30-2011, 02:22 PM
It depends if you play it like tennis. I always play ping pong before a tennis match to warm me up.

rommil
12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
As long as you don't bounce the tennis ball on your side first when you serve you'd be ok.

mikeler
12-31-2011, 12:03 AM

Interesting. Querrey keeps his left hand very close to the paddle on the backhand. Monfils seems more content with the slice backhand.

chrischris
12-31-2011, 02:06 AM
Nice vid. i like the calmness of Gaels backhand. Quite safe but gets good pace also.

Rickson
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM
They can definitely mess you up both ways. When I play tt, I often swing at air because of that really short bat and conversely, I find I need to re-learn how far to reach while playing tennis. Your backhand is also affected as it's the more natural stroke in tt and it's a bent arm stroke, but in tennis you need a straight arm and it's the unnatural feeling stroke for most.

Kobble
01-01-2012, 08:06 PM
They can definitely mess you up both ways. When I play tt, I often swing at air because of that really short bat and conversely, I find I need to re-learn how far to reach while playing tennis. Your backhand is also affected as it's the more natural stroke in tt and it's a bent arm stroke, but in tennis you need a straight arm and it's the unnatural feeling stroke for most.My man. Where on earth have you been?

Rickson
01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Playing table tennis.

Manus Domini
01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I play table tennis like I would lawn tennis. Only difference is that I use a conti grip for both sides, instead of Eastern. It actually helps my ping pong quite a bit, though I can use more normal ping pong strokes to change the pace up.

I felt no negative impact on my strokes. Other people at my school, do, though. Only issue is I buggy-whip the ping pong ball off my forehand, which carries over to a far to great extent in tennis...

Icedorb217
01-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I play both competitively, high school tennis and at my club and some actual rated tournament. Tennis helps ping pong for the fact it makes you a lot faster, like with my coach for table tennis she says Im very quick with my footwork. Tennis though table tennis helps my tennis game a little. It does take a couple of minutes to get my strokes back and get used to my racket again. But they are both so much fun!

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I doubt you can do much harm, your tennis Fh won't be hurt by more TS, that's for sure! :)

treblings
02-02-2012, 02:46 AM
i play racketlon for a number of years now - tennis, squash, badminton,tt
you have to make the effort to learn the correct technique for each sport, than youre ok:)

ive improved my topspin bh in tennis because of hitting much more of it in tt.
ive improved my smash because of playing badminton, where the smash is used in virtually every point.
ive improved my concentration in tennis because of playing racketlon, where every point counts.

Andres
02-02-2012, 03:38 AM
The only way it could mess your tennis game, is if you try to play both the SAME WAY. Try to follow me here, because what I say may sound silly, or even obvious, but it's pretty much true.

I've seen people trying to play ping pong like if they were playing tennis, with long swings, and tennis-like backhands. They're two different sports, with different fundaments, techniques and strokes.

It could mess up your game if you treat them both as the same sport, or if you try to find a middle ground between them. But in reality, the same way playing basketball shouldn't affect your tennis, ping pong shouldn't affect it either.

If anything, I think they're complementary. Playing ping pong my entie life actually improved my reaction time and quickness on my feet, therefore improving my volleying.

It's just a matter of mindset. Always remember they are different sports. Sounds silly, I know.

treblings
02-02-2012, 04:41 AM
The only way it could mess your tennis game, is if you try to play both the SAME WAY. Try to follow me here, because what I say may sound silly, or even obvious, but it's pretty much true.

I've seen people trying to play ping pong like if they were playing tennis, with long swings, and tennis-like backhands. They're two different sports, with different fundaments, techniques and strokes.

It could mess up your game if you treat them both as the same sport, or if you try to find a middle ground between them. But in reality, the same way playing basketball shouldn't affect your tennis, ping pong shouldn't affect it either.

If anything, I think they're complementary. Playing ping pong my entie life actually improved my reaction time and quickness on my feet, therefore improving my volleying.

It's just a matter of mindset. Always remember they are different sports. Sounds silly, I know.

see my post above, i made the same point:)
it sounds obvious. but ive seen lots of tennis players starting to play squash for example and they use their tennis technique.
in squash thats not only limiting your success, its downright dangerous

subz
02-02-2012, 05:09 AM
I tried to play ping pong but I couldn't hit the ball. Tennis has messed up my ping pong game. I can play squash, when I say play, I mean I can hit the ball but the spatial confinement plus different angles the ball can come confuses me. I am very very bad at squash and lose to everyone. Badminton is a game meant for fairies and is out of question.

Now I use my ping pong racquet for spanking

treblings
02-02-2012, 05:27 AM
I tried to play ping pong but I couldn't hit the ball. Tennis has messed up my ping pong game. I can play squash, when I say play, I mean I can hit the ball but the spatial confinement plus different angles the ball can come confuses me. I am very very bad at squash and lose to everyone. Badminton is a game meant for fairies and is out of question.

Now I use my ping pong racquet for spanking

different sports, different technique:) see posts above.
also different movement and tactics, btw

for the spanking i personally recommend bats with long pimples:twisted:

and just in case you wanna lose a prejudice, badminton is the fastest racketsport on earth with smashs being hit at more than 250mph

Sentinel
02-02-2012, 06:36 AM
After seeing the AO men's final, I think table tennis could actually improve your lawn tennis. ;)

subz
02-02-2012, 07:03 AM
different sports, different technique:) see posts above.
also different movement and tactics, btw

for the spanking i personally recommend bats with long pimples:twisted:

and just in case you wanna lose a prejudice, badminton is the fastest racketsport on earth with smashs being hit at more than 250mph

I have a cricket bat too =)

About badminton, I understand that some people like badminton and it is good for developing overhead smash for tennis BUT I feel it lacks aggression. People also say the same about tennis. I have heard some very wired comments by some girls about men who play tennis. There was a girl commneted that "oh, tennis is so gay". I was like, okay what do you like: She said MMA, wrestling. Me: " hmm so you like games where two men try to pin one another down and try to get on top of the each other. that is not gay at all".

treblings
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I have a cricket bat too =)

About badminton, I understand that some people like badminton and it is good for developing overhead smash for tennis BUT I feel it lacks aggression. People also say the same about tennis. I have heard some very wired comments by some girls about men who play tennis. There was a girl commneted that "oh, tennis is so gay". I was like, okay what do you like: She said MMA, wrestling. Me: " hmm so you like games where two men try to pin one another down and try to get on top of the each other. that is not gay at all".

youve said so yourself. people say the same about tennis.
its wrong in both cases, imho

LeeD
02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Different sports.
Neither will HURT the other as long as the player knows this.
If you are developing both at THE SAME TIME, yes, it confuses your muscles somewhat.

Power Player
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
It actually makes me better. Just gives me another sport to play so I can rest my body from too much tennis.

LeeD
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Crashing a motocross bike did not make me better at tennis.
Being sore from surfing hard for 3 hours always hurt my tennis.
Skiing bumps 40 days a year in the winter did little to help my legs or speed in tennis. It helped my spring some, but that is not major in tennis.
Windsurfing 2 hours a day doesn't help my tennis. I need to save energy in one or the other in order to do BOTH.

Power Player
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
We are talking about ping pong broseph.

LeeD
02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I get outta hand quite often, don't I?