PDA

View Full Version : Amir Weintraub - Life on the challenger tour

niff
12-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Amir is Israel's no.2 ranked player and writes a sporadic column describing his life on tour. This has been kindly translated from Hebrew by Or Levy on MTF forum, thought I'd bring it over here.

Here's the latest entry discussing money:

---------------------------

"The best Univesity in the World"

Sometimes people ask me about my commitments as a tennis player. After all, you don't belong to a team, there is no coach that can pull you off if you don't follow instructions, you are your own master, Your life is honey. If you don't feel like practicing, you can always convince yourself that you don't feel well and need a day off and stay in bed (and it happens). You live your life.

Quite frankly, they have a point.

A few weeks ago I have felt, for the very first time, that I do "belong" to something. I got a memo from the ATP about having to complete the annual duty of attending the ATP University. Four days of studying.

"Requirements? University? Is there an exam at the end?" I went to check with my friends.

Apparently every player in the top 200 must attend, within a year after first entering the 'top 200 club" a four days program. The options weren't bad. Miami in March, London in November. I've decided to use the off-season to get to London and get this thing over with.

The slight trepidation evaporated within the first moments. Upon arrival to London an ATP vehicle arrived to pick me up. After less than an hour I've found myself getting a huge suite (paid by the ATP) in the Marriot hotel, and spitting distance from the Big Ben. So, in four days, Eleven – pretty overwhelmed – guys, most of them have never even played a main draw GS round, had an experience most of knew might never return.

Let's start with the business. For Four days we've studied (studied sounds difficult, we're talking 9 AM – 2 PM) about how the ATP works. Where the money comes from, how to handle the media and how to give interviews. How to watch out from the hundreds of forbidden substances around which are being offered by 'doctors' that had been the bane of many innocent tennis players. Mostly we've learned what to do, or – more to the point, what not to do with our money.

The 'university' requirement exists since 1989, around the time the ATP started enjoying the big money. At the same time, there had been a growing amount of incidents in which players had lost their money or bankrupted, whether because of the wrong investments or because it went down the drain with the bookies. The intention was clear, to give the kids on tour an idea about the world they've found themselves in. To try to explain what happens to a kid, for example like Boris Becker, who wins Wimbledon at 17.5 and gets a huge pile of money and glory which change his life overnight.

We've gotten some investment tips. Including a lecture by one of the senior executives of BNP PARIBAS (A bank which is the main sponsor of the Davis cup). We were stunned to hear how common it is for players to crash.

Some of the most known and less known names lost all their money shortly after retirement, or while they were still playing.
Some players have tried to get into business because they figured out they were going to be as good there as on court, some just gambled and lost all of their career on the roulette table.

Rios the Chilean was mentioned as a player who was world number one and lost all of his money in a short time. Dominc Hrbaty the Slovak, who might not have been a superstar, was mentioned as a guy who made very successful real-estate investments, and today, a year after retirement, enjoys a great financial success.

So we wouldn't feel 'ripped off' (After all, we paid 2,500$ membership fees to the ATP this year), the ATP explained to us where the ATP gets its money, and which percentage goes to us players. The most surprising data was the fact only 12% of the tournaments revenue is from the TV, a miniscule amount in comparison to other sports.

As time went by we've allowed ourselves to ask more questions which bother us as the 'ordinary' tennis players on tour. Because with all due respect, we're far from wondering where to invest the money, we will never be Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. We're not even sure we're going to get into the top 100, and we're concerned with our inability to make a living.
We've brought up the biggest absurdity with the ATP people – prize money for winners in Masters and GS goes up each year, but those winners don't need another 100,000 dollars to their already inflated check, while us, the players who need to play qualies, don't get any raise.
All of the big money goes to the elite. The bottom line – something in the ATP mechanism is broken if only top 100 players can make money. How could it be that a player ranked between 100-200 in the world needs a daddy who will pump him with money to keep him afloat?

One of the more interesting classes we've attended was about working with the media. They taught us how to avoid questions by journalists who are trying to trick us, how to identify such question, how to stand and where to put your hands during an interview. Each player had a personal training in which he practiced one-on-one what we've learned in class, and had to withstand an 'interview' test and then watched himself to see how he stands in front of the entire nation and… stares at his own feet...

And there was a lot of pleasure, too. After all, the ATP makes a lot of money (in 2009, for example, I've read that the ATP made 83 million dollars and earned 28 milion), and we got a good example of its ability to pamper (and lets forget for a moment about the full funding of the flights and dinners, the suites, or even the Ipod waiting for us at the end of classes).

So - At the end of the first day they told us that tonight we are the guests of the ATP at the Masters finals between Federer and Tsonga at the amazing O2 arena. We all got player badges, so we could get anywhere we wanted in the stadium, locker-rooms, trophy rooms, VIP room. I preferred the VIP room, I was there for most of the time and I figured out this was the best way to watch the match.

I don't like asking for photographs from people, but in this case I had to make an exception. It started in the VIP room where a whole bunch of soccer players stood – nearly driving me mad. Christiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney. Almost all of Totenham players. A moment after I've forced Ronaldo to take a photo with me, Pipa Middleton showed up, Alton John, Sting and Models. Lots and Lots of Models.

At the end of the night, after having dinner at the stadium, we had a ride to the hotel – the ATP chose an original way to get the players around during the WTF – a 50 seat ferry which sails on the Thames, so we wouldn't have to fight the city's traffic. We boarded the ferry which was due to depart at 10 PM.

A few moments after the ferry was suppose to head out, it was asked to be wait because of 'some people who *had* to board it'. A few moments afterwards we could hit the road – Tim Henman, Greg rusedski , Boris Becker, Pat Cash, Kate Middleton, Alton John and Roger Federer boarded.
It had been my pleasure to write for you this year. See you in 2012.

-----

More:

Travelling & Hotel rooms: http://tinyurl.com/7j4yfmk

First time playing at at Slam: http://tinyurl.com/4mkwvbg

From Slams to Futures: http://tinyurl.com/7b9jau2

Players and their aura: http://tinyurl.com/7y7mzv2

Tour grind in Russia: http://tinyurl.com/cxcpwcr

The joy of playing in Davis Cup: http://tinyurl.com/6fs7kam

Hateful relationship with clay: http://tinyurl.com/7wjqpoj

Rozroz
12-30-2011, 12:39 AM
nice to finally see some Israel connection here :)

Amir is a humble, nice guy.

can't say the same on our 1st rank, though.
not to mention the 1st rank "lady".

beast of mallorca
12-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the article niff. It's a good read.

"It had been my pleasure to write for you this year. See you in 2012.".............And it is our pleasure to read your experiences in the tour, Amir. Hope your ranking picks up.

jaggy
12-30-2011, 04:41 AM
Good article but I cant help feeling a bit queasy about the machine that is the atp tour.

SLD76
12-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Good article but I cant help feeling a bit queasy about the machine that is the atp tour.

frankly I think its a good thing, to help the player manage their success.

most other big sports doing something similiar. I know the Nfl and Nba do.

and its more important for tennis players to know how to manage money as they dont have guaranteed contracts.

OddJack
12-30-2011, 05:11 AM
interesting read, thx 4 sharing

niff
12-30-2011, 05:18 AM
There are 7 other columns from Amir, here are the links:

Travelling & Hotel rooms: http://tinyurl.com/7j4yfmk

First time playing at at Slam: http://tinyurl.com/4mkwvbg

From Slams to Futures: http://tinyurl.com/7b9jau2

Players and their aura: http://tinyurl.com/7y7mzv2

Tour grind in Russia: http://tinyurl.com/cxcpwcr

The joy of playing in Davis Cup: http://tinyurl.com/6fs7kam

Hateful relationship with clay: http://tinyurl.com/7wjqpoj

Sentinel
12-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Great read niff. But what happened about the part of the top players checks going up while the 100-200 have to find a daddy.

Did they get an answer ?

equinox
12-30-2011, 07:15 AM
I'd have so picked up pippa. I really hope amir gave her a crack.

tennisaddict
12-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the links. Amir sounds a like very humble guy. Wish him all success. Probably he should consider coaching down the line since he is so aware of the mental aspects of the game.

ATP should ensure that atleast players at Challenger / futures level dont need to think about earning their daily bread.

The likes of the top 50 can afford to do with lesser money.

BeHappy
12-30-2011, 07:39 AM
only 12% of the money comes from tv?

Really? Is the rest mostly tickets or sponsorship?

atatu
12-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Great stuff, thank you.

jaggy
12-30-2011, 08:30 AM
frankly I think its a good thing, to help the player manage their success.

most other big sports doing something similiar. I know the Nfl and Nba do.

and its more important for tennis players to know how to manage money as they dont have guaranteed contracts.

I meant more how they are instructed how to respond to the media etc, heaven forbid a personality would appear.

_maxi
12-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Makes you think how unfair the thing is. How being the 200 best person in the world at what you do, only gives you enough money to live at the moment, and give you the less opportunities to go up in the rankings, while the top players have it a lot easier and make tons of money in comparison. After all, they are all human beings. It should be more equal.
And some players want 2 years ranking system...

aphex
12-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Do you know what "picked up" means?

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:04 AM

is that something related to "butt"??:)

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:13 AM

As far as you're concerned, yes.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:14 AM

can you teach me greek??Do u know "latin"??

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Do you think "Latin" is imaginary?

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:23 AM

latin is long lost language which is not spoken any where..How do we say,"rafa is the GOAT" in greek??

beast of mallorca
12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
latin is long lost language which is not spoken any where..How do we say,"rafa is the GOAT" in greek??

Aphex means ,"rafa is the GOAT" in Greek.........hence the name. Don't you know ? He's the biggest Rafa fan in the Land of the gods, lol

aphex
12-30-2011, 09:51 AM

ChimpGoat.

tusharlovesrafa
12-30-2011, 09:55 AM
ChimpGoat.

Ράφα είναι το ΚΑΤΣΙΚΙ ..:)

beast of mallorca
12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
ChimpGoat.

You mean aphex means ChimpGoat too ?.........figures,lol

In D Zone
12-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Enjoyed the read - great view on what every tennis Pro had to go through in real life.

Thank you for sharing!

BeHappy
12-30-2011, 01:48 PM

can you teach me greek??Do u know "latin"??

Aphex means ,"rafa is the GOAT" in Greek.........hence the name. Don't you know ? He's the biggest Rafa fan in the Land of the gods, lol

ChimpGoat.

Ράφα είναι το ΚΑΤΣΙΚΙ ..:)

Worst conversation ever.

nikdom
12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks OP. Really interesting read.

evanjj
12-30-2011, 04:52 PM
great read! awesome stuff :)

forthegame
12-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks OP. Great read indeed.

Really true what he said, it's immoral that the ATP keeps paying the top guys so much while others in the top 200 grind out a living.

I understand about giving people something to aspire to but, come on!

VGP
12-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks niff for sharing these blog posts.

It's great to hear first-hand accounts of what it's really like for certain players on tour.

If I have to hear another cynical "Nadal's 2011 was bad" or "Federer's playing like crap with his new stick" threads, I'm gonna puke.

Please post additional blog posts if available, I'm looking forward to reading more.

ben123
12-31-2011, 07:10 PM
first of all thx

i have a question. amir writes in the article "players aura": In Eilat I ran into a Spanish Player and a Belgian player, each with his own personal coach. Both coaches were ex players who retired last year from tennis – Olivier Rochus ....

??? olivier played 2011 he didnt retire? am i missing something lol

Rob_C
01-07-2012, 05:37 PM
first of all thx

i have a question. amir writes in the article "players aura":
??? olivier played 2011 he didnt retire? am i missing something lol

I think he meant his brother, Christophe. Oliver is still playing, I think he lost 1st rd Chennai this yr.

vernonbc
01-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks OP. Great read indeed.

Really true what he said, it's immoral that the ATP keeps paying the top guys so much while others in the top 200 grind out a living.

I understand about giving people something to aspire to but, come on!

No, what's immoral is that the tournaments and the promoters who are making millions of dollars don't pay the others in the top 200 more. The guys that are winning and playing the most tennis and sacrificing their bodies and drawing the most fans deserve every penny that they earn but don't blame them if the pay scale is inequitable for the others. Blame the ATP and the bigwigs who are making big money themselves.

forthegame
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Edited. Mods Have Dealt With The Clown.

Rozroz
01-09-2012, 10:44 AM
beware!!
he start spreading the goose bible in all the threads.
i think he's off the pills big time.

cmb
01-09-2012, 10:46 AM
somebody is about to get banned

Rhino
01-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Very interesting read. Thanks.

Fifth Set
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
It's an interesting piece that makes me want to read his other entries, but I don't agree with his desire for a more equal distribution of money among the top 200.

Not only is this distribution of wealth consistent with other jobs, it's entirely performance based. You can't say that the top players have achieved what they have (compared to the 200th ranked player) because of their race, family connections or who they slept with. Overall, once you're a good junior, it's pretty darn fair.

Brutal, but fair.

tennisaddict
01-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Am seeing the AO 2012 qualifiying draw and see that Amir has made it . Has first round against Marco Crugnola (Ita) and if he wins, then takes on potentially Arnaud Clement and David Goffin in the subsequent rounds.

Best of luck, Amir

nikdom
01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
It's an interesting piece that makes me want to read his other entries, but I don't agree with his desire for a more equal distribution of money among the top 200.

Not only is this distribution of wealth consistent with other jobs, it's entirely performance based. You can't say that the top players have achieved what they have (compared to the 200th ranked player) because of their race, family connections or who they slept with. Overall, once you're a good junior, it's pretty darn fair.

Brutal, but fair.
You're perspective is 100% correct.

(applies to the avatar pic too) :)

forthegame
01-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Brutal, but fair.

Someone made a point earlier that I think is the right way to go i.e., make it more rewarding for others outside the creme de la creme.

Not asking that the superstars get less, but that the "minnows" (who are stars in their own right, imagine top 200 in the world), get a bit more.

equinox
01-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Someone made a point earlier that I think is the right way to go i.e., make it more rewarding for others outside the creme de la creme.

Not asking that the superstars get less, but that the "minnows" (who are stars in their own right, imagine top 200 in the world), get a bit more.

Top 200+ are complete nobodies. Only people who would know of there names are hardcore tennis fanatics. Even majority of TT fans couldn't list 50% of top 200.

Simple, no tv air time means no decent money for anybody.

Most minor (sports) athletes are living for that one chance to make a name at Olympics and payback early supporters with endorsement earnings.

I'd like to see challenger players to be able earn a living.

Just can't see that happening with atp reducing CH pts and keeping current top 60 player entrenched.

Imho stupid for parents to target tennis as main sport for childs future success.

Soccer, golf and country of origin main stream sports are far better choices.

joeri888
01-14-2012, 03:04 AM
I think the money issue on the challenger tour is a serious problem. Really hope that someone stands up for them. A Roger or a Rafa, who's full of money already and knows what it was like in the early days. You can count on Rafa though to 'shorten' the season, thus making it impossible for some to make the money they need.

vernonbc
01-14-2012, 05:06 AM
I think the money issue on the challenger tour is a serious problem. Really hope that someone stands up for them. A Roger or a Rafa, who's full of money already and knows what it was like in the early days. You can count on Rafa though to 'shorten' the season, thus making it impossible for some to make the money they need.
Oh stop with the hating on Rafa. He doesn't want tournaments deleted from the schedule, he wants them moved, or the manadatory requirements for the top 30 lessened. The guys ranked in the 100's aren't playing 5 matches in a row in a week and wearing out their bodies. They are playing maybe once or twice a week. Big difference.

I agree that changes need to be made to the challengers and for the lower ranked guys so that they can earn more money but that's a different topic than the schedule that is causing so many injuries for the top ranked guys. And it's not just Rafa. All the guys in the top 30, every single one of them, were injured at some point last year. That hurts the game.

ben123
01-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Roger or a Rafa, who's full of money already and knows what it was like in the early days.

i doubt that. if i remember correctly both of them went through that stage pretty fast in their young ages. nadal was very young - he was not even 17 when he first reached the top 100... the conclusion is that he had no problems ever with money. because by that time uncle toni and his family was for sure behind him. federer was junior rank 1, got a few wildcards and got to top 100 pretty soon, too.
so they have not really a personal experience with that scenario. but seriously : if they dont know how the life of a top 300 pro looks like they are pretty dumb/ignorant. i guess they know it

Oh stop with the hating on Rafa. He doesn't want tournaments deleted from the schedule, he wants them moved, or the manadatory requirements for the top 30 lessened. The guys ranked in the 100's aren't playing 5 matches in a row in a week and wearing out their bodies. They are playing maybe once or twice a week. Big difference.

I agree that changes need to be made to the challengers and for the lower ranked guys so that they can earn more money but that's a different topic than the schedule that is causing so many injuries for the top ranked guys. And it's not just Rafa. All the guys in the top 30, every single one of them, were injured at some point last year. That hurts the game.
vernonbc is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

..... these guys take breaks very often. these breaks can last over a month. the challenger touring pro has an equally hard tennislife (physically). they hunt after points and play tournaments very often. and when someone loses a game that doesnt mean he sits at home and watches tv ... they go on court and train or go in the gym whatever...
and if you believe it or not these guys get injured, too!!!

ClairHarmony
01-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Top 200+ are complete nobodies. Only people who would know of there names are hardcore tennis fanatics. Even majority of TT fans couldn't list 50% of top 200.

Simple, no tv air time means no decent money for anybody.

Most minor (sports) athletes are living for that one chance to make a name at Olympics and payback early supporters with endorsement earnings.

I'd like to see challenger players to be able earn a living.

Just can't see that happening with atp reducing CH pts and keeping current top 60 player entrenched.

Imho stupid for parents to target tennis as main sport for childs future success.

Soccer, golf and country of origin main stream sports are far better choices.

Tennis is actually FAR more often played by the masses than golf...which I've never even played. I'm NOT alone in this regard. But, nearly EVERYONE has played tennis at least once.

Ultimately, tennis is a one-on-one sport, and the notion that it is one of the minor sports in the world is rather far-fetched and a misconception in my opinion. Whenever most of the world has tried it at least once, you have a chance for a lot of talent to take a fetching to it, to feel that 'spark' of interest, that ignites the proverbial flame.

So, to be a top 200 player in tennis is quite an accomplishment indeed, and to those who trumpet basketball as the be all, end all, realize though that the depth pool for the majority of positions is shrunk down ginormously...since, after all, how many athletes just wake up Andrew Bynum's size one day and find that they're more or less an overnight top prsopsect? Bynum's one of the top 2 centers in the game, and yet he started the game very, very late.... While he IS talented, he's talented within an *exceedingly* small SIZE pool. The thing is, in team sports, you can be a "specialist" and fill a need. You're parts of a cog of a cog.

A pesky little roadrunner guy like Tyronne Lue, can make a big impact in the right place, at the right time, just like a well-placed Steve Kerr 3 in the right place, at the right time. Role players who contribute to the BIG winning lottery ticket for ALL. They're like one of the numbers in the winning ticket, so they get a part of the prize, a part of the glory regardless of how many of those numbers they contributed.

With the challenger guys, the public will never even get a chance to "bond" with them. To the public, they're more or less nameless guys vying for nameless random "championship" tournaments, that hold ZERO value in the real world. It's only an "accomplishment" if someone thinks it's an accomplishment...sad, but true.

Being a mano-a-mano guy in a mano-a-mano sport, plain sucks. To be relatively awesome, yet worth nothing, sucks to be human. Mentally, there's few sports that require such an enduring spirit to make it to the top...and for every challenger guy solidly entrenched, there are a thousand more who were capable, but quite simply...*mentally kerplunked*. Long enduring, tenacious spirited with no promise of glory is requirement *#1*. The next, is a support group that really cares, or your dead in the water, you're not even human, you don't even deserve to live. Just end it now, while you still have a chance for anyone in the real world to respect you. It's a waste of a perfectly *serviceable* human life.

And, you see, that's the thing.

Ordinary cogs, with measurably ordinary talents, simply just "fit in" better. They have a place, a relatively underwhelming place compared globally, but a place nonetheless. They're not drifing wallow bags in the wind like pro nobody tennis players, who used to be somebodies when they were kiddies...so this is an adjustment period for them, no doubt. To go from being revered, to eventually pitied by those in the real world.

Challenger tournaments are not terribly lucrative things...in truth, the players are even kind of lucky to have them. Deluxe bench seating and fold-out aluminum seats, are ripe and plenty...who shows up? Not very many. Who cares? NO ONE.

If the MEDIA ain't there? Then, it ain't happenin'. Simple as that.

You'd have to be Sargis Sargisian sleeping in the locker room to cause a stir.

With no media to make you feel like *other* people care, then sport no longer feels carnivalistic, thrilling, enthralling, rip-you-like hot chicket meat straight off the stick, "exciting." Sports excitement is of the fleeting kind...all *general* sports fans without an appreciation for the finer intracies of a sport, are in it for the THRILLS. *Fleeting*, relatively quickly passing, senstate-senstational, THRILLS...to break-up their ordinarily dreary, boring, Monday's...I wish that chick from the Bangles were dancing with me in my cubicle, because it's just another ordinary Monday, type drudgerying "thinking." Can you imagine how horribly wretchedly boring life would be, if all you had to look forward to was getting home just in time to catch the last few minutes of Judge Judy, screaming at you all the time, Monday-through-Friday? EEK!!! Somebody get this cubicle man a churro to chew on! Preferably, a dozen.... But with health insurance benefits and all that good to keep you living stuff, trust me, you only THINK you'd want to trade places with the lowly challenger guy...when the reality is the vast majority would quite after a year if they only REALLY knew what was involvied...freakin', no good, inglorious public don't even care about me... behind the scenes.

Pro athletes...if they're not on TV...they don't count. They provide no readily distinguishable service that I can see, so tell me, why are discussing this Barry Weintraub guy again? Isn't he that guy from the Bee Gees? No, wait, that's impossible...too young, maybe his son? No, wait, why is this guy, who are we even talking about again? I'm trying to get a face, but all I see is that guy from the Bee Gees...and the bikini girls, lots of them, and we're in Hilo, and they're showing me how to hulu, and they're giggling to...oh, man, more money for the girls at the kudey bar tonight, babies!!! ...and, less money for that Barry Weintraub fellow. I mean I'm sure he means well and all, and provides a nice service to himself, but what *exactly* is he doing for me again? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it....

If I can't see you, I can't quantify what you mean to me. It's sad, but that's how pro sports works. It's not that tennis isn't a popluar enough sport worldwide, when tennis was booming, it's not like the minor leagues became fashionable...no, it was BJORN BORG and his tighty Fila pinstriped undy collection that became fashionable. In short, its the STARS that make a mano-a-mano sport thrill. In mano-a-mano sports, there's only room for TWO prize fighters in the whole world to steal the show on any given night...not, exactly ye traveling yo man's like Travis "Hardy Breakfast" Fulton. Sad, but true.

jakemcclain32
01-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Amir lost 6-4 6-0 in the first round of AO Qualifiers to Crugnola. Too bad...was hoping to see a blog from the AO.

GoSurfBoy
01-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Enjoyed reading this post of his blog. Thank you.

Here's Amir playing Raonic, Davis Cup:

http://tennisopolis.com/video/raonic-meets-his-match-amir-weintraub

courtking
01-21-2012, 09:17 AM
If you have talent.. you make money.. if you don't have talent.. don't have a mental toughness.. can't stand the pressure then you can be a local park/club coach.. Don't expect people pay $$ to see a 200+ ranking player that will go out 1st round in a tournament..

R_Federer
01-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Shut up man, you're stupid.