PDA

View Full Version : Floating backhand slice

goeblack
12-30-2011, 05:52 AM
My backhand slice is more often than not a reliable shot. BUT, on occasion I will float the slice way too high. Even though it usually land in the court, I am a sitting duck. I really would like some advice as to what I am doing wrong when this happens.(yes I know my racket angle is too open).

Thanks

goe

SeriousSummer
12-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Dang! I thought someone wanted instruction on how to hit a floating backhand slice.

That's one of the only areas of tennis I'm an expert on and qualified to give advice.

greystar403
12-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Transfer your weight forward as well.

Other than the open racquet face, you should see some improvement.

rkelley
12-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Hard to say without seeing it, but fundamentally if your slice is high over the net but still landing in the court, then you're not hitting it hard enough and the racquet face is too open. A high slice should go long, not land in.

Make sure you set the racquet angle early in the forward stroke and then maintain that angle through the contact zone.

Here's a youtube link that was really helpful for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7Wo0y6fC8

blip
12-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Like stated above step in and close the face more. It's easier to hit a good low slice when someone is hitting shots to you with some pace. If not then its all up to you to generate the pace by stepping in and hitting the slice.

Ducker
12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
blip is right. if your playing with low level players and they are giving you slow balls ur slice is going to be alot weaker than if your playing high level player that just hit a hard ball low to your backhand.

Slice is all about stealing your opponents pace.

Bagumbawalla
12-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Even though the slice is a "downward" stroke, it must also travel forward-- through the ball- especially when you must create your own pace.

Think about focusig the momentum of the racket head through the ball and in the direction of the intended placement-- and then have someone toss you a hundred balls-- and practice hitting them low and to a specific spot until the feel of it becomes part of you.

fuzz nation
12-31-2011, 10:21 AM
My backhand slice is more often than not a reliable shot. BUT, on occasion I will float the slice way too high. Even though it usually land in the court, I am a sitting duck. I really would like some advice as to what I am doing wrong when this happens.(yes I know my racket angle is too open).

Thanks

goe

Hold on a minute... try something to give you a better concept of what's happening when you execute a backhand slice. Take a few half-speed or even slow-motion slices without hitting a ball - do this in front of a mirror if you can to get an even better look at what's happening. What you should see is that the racquet face is more vertical at the outset of the forward swing when it's still back beside you. That's where you can best drive a slice, but wait, there's more!!!

Watch the racquet face as the stroke progresses and you should see it open up as the racquet moves forward. That's the contact area that produces those floaters. Even though a topspin stroke does better when we go out after the ball, that "out front" area is where the racquet slides under the ball and floats it when we're trying to slice. That makes the idea of driving a slice rather counterintuitive when working from a foundation of topspin strokes. Got to catch the ball farther back beside you to drive a slice.

I definitely agree with the idea of starting the racquet slightly above the ball, but swinging forward through it instead of high-to-low. That helps with steering clear of "trap-dooring" the slice with a release of the wrist and killing its drive and bite.

mntlblok
01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Various combinations of swing paths and racket face angles can yield the same trajectory. Nothing better than this http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/trajectory_maker.cgi for learning about it.

As others have said, swinging flatter with a more vertical face can get yield a less "floaty" trajectory, but, in my experience, that's much more difficult to predictably pull off than *opening* the racket face even more (or not, depending upon how open you have it now), but swing more steeply *downwardly*. Note: you can't do this if the racket head isn't well above the ball just before that downward acceleration. My mental picture is that I'm contacting the ball above its "equator", but that is probably impossible to do with an open racket face.

This combination requires a harder swing (and big backswing) and yields more spin and a lower, nastier bounce. Think Federer's slice. It "sounds" risky, but, in my opinion, not so much. A racket with a large "spin window" helps. . .

Kevin

ho
01-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks

goe
All slide will float if you hit at 6:00 o'clock, the harder you slide, the more underspin you created. The more underspin you create, the more ball float:
A simple solution is to hit at 7:00 or 8:00 o'clock or simply put it: hit the outside of the ball. A combination of side spin and underspin will make ball slide down, no float.

mikeler
01-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Sometimes you want to float the slice to give yourself time to get back into the court.