PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With Your Car Right Now?

Cindysphinx
12-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Let's find out who is driving the biggest bucket of bolts.

For me: 2004 Sienna, 120K miles.

Has automatic sliding doors. One of the doors does not lock or unlock unless you reach in and do it manually. $700 to repair, so it's not getting repaired.

Passenger seat heater failed days after the warranty expired. $700 to repair, so it's not getting repaired.

Automatic rear hatch fails in cold weather. It will open and wait for me to lean inside and grab something. Then it will try to kill me by closing on me. Has been repaired repeatedly under recall.

CD player skips. One speaker doesn't work. Cracked tail light. Big scrape down the side when I tried to wrap it around a pole in a parking garage.

There is a new and mysterious drip from where the the rear view mirror mounts to the window, I think. That's just weird.

When it rains, the floor mats get wet if I go through a puddle too fast.

Other than that, it's in mint condition!

Maui19
12-31-2011, 05:33 PM
You win. LOL

West Coast Ace
12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Let's find out who is driving the biggest bucket of bolts...One of the doors does not lock or unlock unless you reach in and do it manually....Passenger seat heater failed... Automatic rear hatch fails in cold weather....CD player skips. One speaker doesn't work. Cracked tail light. Big scrape... mysterious drip...
Go buy 3 new tennis racquets. Good as new...

PS - if you'd sent your kids to military school in Uzbekistan like I proposed 6 months or so ago you'd have a new ride.

Hood_Man
12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Not too bad. The windows mist something rotten, the heater takes forever to warm up, but the most annoying by far is the drivers seat belt which almost always folds up and then doesn't rewind back into the slot.

Nothing serious though, it's a nice little car (2002 Suzuki Swift gls).

Possibly on its last legs though :'(

Ronaldo
12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Everything still works, 2004 Camry with 160k miles. Have 1988 Camry, over 300k miles, all good but the body. Has crank windows. Bought heated seat cushions. My bad, nothing wrong. except for the gas cap cover, which stays open.

*breaksracquet
12-31-2011, 09:17 PM
2008 Honda Element SC, 68K mi., showroom model, had 8 miles on it when purchased.

Work performed....

Replaced gear shift computer (would give awful jolt/series of jolts when shifting from 1st to 2nd)

Replaced entire tachometer assembly (national recall, speedometer needle popped off letting me drive not knowing how fast I was going)

Released brake assembly (national recall, push brakes to the floor and would not stop)

Basically, I drive a death trap.... my awesome death trap :):)

ilovecarlos
01-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Nothing major...just a major pain. 2001 Caddy Catera. Took it in because left rear window wouldn't go all the way up. Tried to take it down, then back up and ended up with a stuck open window. I understand that's not a good thing even in a mild winter. Check engine light was also on. $1400 later, everything is fixed. The next day, the check engine light comes back on. My brother told me this has happened to him too and that it was the "check engine" light that was faulty. :-?

Mick
01-01-2012, 11:18 AM
my car is a garage queen so i had to lease another car to drive so it would remain a garage queen :)

siowmotion
01-01-2012, 11:24 AM
1999 Honda Accord Dark Blue

I can listen to the radio but can't play CD's.

It has semi dirty seats, looks like owner before my brother handed down to me ate in the car and didn't try and clean the stains (looks like from food).

I can't turn off the A/C so it's either always cold or hot, luckily I prefer to be cold.

VaththalKuzhambu
01-01-2012, 12:13 PM
The $6 engine temperature sensor is faulty and will costs $120 labor to replace in 2004 Jetta.

I self-installed (saving $100) a Sony stereo system ($130 worth but obtained for $52) with an USB port. Now, I am searching for reasons to drive.

zapvor
01-01-2012, 01:05 PM
wow i am kinda surprised at all the honda issues.

have a 2000 honda myself. everything is fine except the hood is rusting real bad. and i think the vtec solenoid is broken because i am not getting power like it should have. also sometimes gears are sticky, especially reverse. i sunk 3K into it last year for repairs after accident, so now i have to keep it for at least 5 more years. but i was going to anyways. will keep my baby forever!

atatu
01-01-2012, 01:34 PM
I had a '96 Mazda 3 with 94k on it, I need new struts and shocks, plus a couple of new tires, it's going to set me back about $800.

Shaolin
01-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I really need a new passenger side floor mat in my BMW X6!

Jk...driving a Sentra that could use new brakes.

jswinf
01-01-2012, 02:15 PM
My 1996 Toyota Tacoma (155 K) is humming along fine, but everytime I have the oil changed I get told "leak here, leak there, yadda-yadda..." It does have a semi-broken outside door handle on the driver's side, but it really makes for a neat security feature since you can't open the door unless you know the "secret trick" I discovered. Don't really have to lock it!

I've gone through a couple of CD player/radios. The current one works fine but...it won't eject a CD. I've developed a procedure involving a thin plastic card fishing through the slot to assist with this, so no problem.

You've just got to be creative with experienced vehicles. :)

mtommer
01-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Well my car isn't that bad compared to some here but...

I have 176,000 on my 2001 Toy. Corolla. It burns oil. One can hear that piston is knocking while driving. I'm running only two front brakes as the rear brake lines corroded so I ripped them out. My two side mirrors don't work. I lost the ability to open my trunk when I slammed into the cement barrier wall going seventy on the highway after hydroplaning and just after the rain started coming down in a torrential downpour (and I had a semi to my left and in front which may of pushed me "loose"). My driver's side power window/lock console just broke loose so every time I try to open a window the buttons just sink into the arm rest. My radio sometimes will not play CDs. I had to tear out the rear speakers/deck behind the rear seats to finally trip the latch that would let me fold my rear seats down so I can now access the trunk.

Rickson
01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
What's wrong is that I don't have one.

Sentinel
01-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Cindy, didn;t you once say your car got flooded with water ? Or was that someone else ?

Mine is a 2001 Maruti-Suzuki (most popular brand in India, called a Maruti for short). Model is "Zen".

All's fine, except the clutch is really hard, since I've not had time to get it fixed, and keep postponing maintenance.

Here's a pic from the web of what it looks like: pic (http://sundaycarbazar.in/upload/P1_C015.jpg)

chrischris
01-02-2012, 02:41 AM
That it uses gas.

ARON
01-02-2012, 07:24 AM
91 Acura Integra, auto, 150k
For some reason, in cold weather, it's hard to shift gears. This is annoying when I want to turn the car off since I have to shift into park in order to take out the keys.

CHOcobo
01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
1995 honda integra, mt, 207k miles.

biggest problem: leaking brake fluid. i have to fill brake fluid every 2-4 days in order to maintain fluid level. it sucks since its starting to reach 0 here in minnesota. can't wait for spring to have time to fix it.

minors: a lot of things are squeaking, and don't know where it's coming from. rust is making big holes. suspension is also squeaking. many cracks in windshield. i have not weather strip around the windshield. many of other things that doesn't affect drive-ability of the car. still running like a virgin. i still want a k series motor. haha

Cindysphinx
01-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Cindy, didn;t you once say your car got flooded with water ? Or was that someone else ?

Mine is a 2001 Maruti-Suzuki (most popular brand in India, called a Maruti for short). Model is "Zen".

All's fine, except the clutch is really hard, since I've not had time to get it fixed, and keep postponing maintenance.

Here's a pic from the web of what it looks like: pic (http://sundaycarbazar.in/upload/P1_C015.jpg)

Yep, we figured out that if we avoid puddles or drive through them very slowly the car doesn't flood.

Man, I really want a new car . . . .

SirGounder
01-02-2012, 09:36 AM
2006 Ford Mustang GT

The previous owner put on vinyl racing stripes. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but it was cheap vinyl that cracked and stained within 1 year. The shop that did the install is no longer in business. Doesn't really affect anything, just an eye sore.

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
wow i am kinda surprised at all the honda issues.

Purely an aberration, Consumer Reports' huge sample sizes don't lie. Honda is the most reliable make.

Our '04 Pilot lives up to the standard. Remarkable how few issues it has had. About 125k miles now. Goes through headlight bulbs pretty frequently and a couple dashboard lights have gone out, but that's it! Amazing given all the electronics, parts and features.

The '03 Mercedes C-class with 95k miles is another story. Literally too long to list. Supercharger pulley failure (twice). Seat heater failure (twice). CD changer failure (twice). Headlamp assembly failure ($1,000 part). Multiple electronic feature failures, from side view mirror to sunroof to dashboard information readout. Premature OEM battery death. Multiple leaks in the engine compartment. And on and on and on.

Ronaldo
01-02-2012, 10:08 AM
No one drives a Jeep? http://media.photobucket.com/image/jeep%20rubicon/fendesa/tonyhawkjeeprubicon.jpg

sureshs
01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Yep, we figured out that if we avoid puddles or drive through them very slowly the car doesn't flood.

Man, I really want a new car . . . .

Solution is cheap Chinese cars. They will arrive soon to the US. They will liberate the common man from the tyranny of Detroit, Japan, and Germany.

$5000 should be the price of a new subcompact car.

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
...They will liberate the common man from the tyranny of Detroit, Japan, and Germany...

and imprison him to the price sheet and availability of his mechanic!

sureshs
01-02-2012, 03:49 PM
and imprison him to the price sheet and availability of his mechanic!

Initially, yes. But soon their quality will be more than adequate. Kia and Hyundai went through the same issues.

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Initially, yes. But soon their quality will be more than adequate. Kia and Hyundai went through the same issues.

I agree that those two brands have made huge strides, but they both still are well below par. Even the star in the stable, the Sonata, is a relative mess (see long term test below from Car and Driver).

Nevertheless, I don't doubt that a Chinese car will sell. It will just take a very long time for quality to be "more than adequate." The drivers will suffer until they get to that point and, remember, Americans in particular have relatively little patience for unreliable cars. The list of brands chased out of the US due to poor quality is long, including Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Yugo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-hyundai-sonata-se-20t-test-long-term-review

sureshs
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Fiat is reentering the US this year

Fifth Set
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Fiat is reentering the US this year

Already have. The 500 is selling OK. Amazing to me that they are selling any at all actually given the history. Some people around these parts STILL say it stands for "Fit It Again Tony"!

The banishment is not permanent, but Fiat were away for a very long time, in large part because the 127, 131, etc. were complete garbage.

sureshs
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I have been with Honda for many years now. No major issues ever, but one or two minor irritations.

tusharlovesrafa
01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Solution is cheap Chinese cars. They will arrive soon to the US. They will liberate the common man from the tyranny of Detroit, Japan, and Germany.

$5000 should be the price of a new subcompact car.

Have u heard of tata NANO,costs only $ 2,500

Ronaldo
01-02-2012, 08:34 PM

So hot it self-ignites, http://images.cartradeindia.com/img/nanofire.jpg-news-800.jpg

zapvor
01-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Purely an aberration, Consumer Reports' huge sample sizes don't lie. Honda is the most reliable make.

Our '04 Pilot lives up to the standard. Remarkable how few issues it has had. About 125k miles now. Goes through headlight bulbs pretty frequently and a couple dashboard lights have gone out, but that's it! Amazing given all the electronics, parts and features.

The '03 Mercedes C-class with 95k miles is another story. Literally too long to list. Supercharger pulley failure (twice). Seat heater failure (twice). CD changer failure (twice). Headlamp assembly failure ($1,000 part). Multiple electronic feature failures, from side view mirror to sunroof to dashboard information readout. Premature OEM battery death. Multiple leaks in the engine compartment. And on and on and on.

yea i know. hence my surprise. honda forever baby!

The_Question
01-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Let's find out who is driving the biggest bucket of bolts.

For me: 2004 Sienna, 120K miles.

Has automatic sliding doors. One of the doors does not lock or unlock unless you reach in and do it manually. $700 to repair, so it's not getting repaired.

Passenger seat heater failed days after the warranty expired. $700 to repair, so it's not getting repaired.

Automatic rear hatch fails in cold weather. It will open and wait for me to lean inside and grab something. Then it will try to kill me by closing on me. Has been repaired repeatedly under recall.

CD player skips. One speaker doesn't work. Cracked tail light. Big scrape down the side when I tried to wrap it around a pole in a parking garage.

There is a new and mysterious drip from where the the rear view mirror mounts to the window, I think. That's just weird.

When it rains, the floor mats get wet if I go through a puddle too fast.

Other than that, it's in mint condition!
Cindy, that's because your Toyota was built in U.S., by UAW, haha. Your flood sounds like you've issue w/one of the drain plugs on the floor board.CD is the laser gone bad, eventually will stop reading any disc. A stock CD unit is readily available on e-bay for cheap (a tail light as well, if not, junkyard), as well as speaker (most likely blown resister). The same goes for door motor, junkyard for cheap.

I've a much older Toyota (1995), with much higher mileage (240,000), and still running fine, but it was built in Japan, and somewhat well taken cared of the first half of ownership...

zapvor
01-02-2012, 09:40 PM
lol i knew you would be here question

hollywood9826
01-03-2012, 04:38 AM
04 Jetta TDI 140K. Bought at 50K miles. At 65K had to replace fuel pump. missing antennae. Had an issue with water on passenger floor, unclogged drain plug for the sunroff I think and no more water. Aside from that just routine maintenance. Im expecting to keep this thing forever and get 500K out of it. I know eventually I'll have to replce the tranny, and the window regulators will stop working, and my heated seats will fail, but Its paid for next year and that motor should never fail. And I still get 55MPH on highway trips once I take of my Thule Rack.

Also, got a 79 International Scout II Safari Top. Top is ripped and will eventually get replaced. Fuel gauge doesnt work, will eventually replace with all new custom dashborad with all new guages. Sppedo is not accurate becuase it never got recalibrated for use with 37 inch tires. But Drive it now maybe 500 miles a year max.

Sentinel
01-03-2012, 07:05 AM
I have been with Honda for many years now. No major issues ever, but one or two minor irritations.
Aw I had you as a 50 year old driving a Buick.:)

Seriously, I thought most Indians in the US start of buying a Japanese car with good resale value (usually Honda or Toyota) and then after a few year move on to German / European cars (mostly Benzes/Volvos etc) (for status, I presume). That's the kind of trend I saw there in the 90's.

SlapShot
01-03-2012, 09:05 AM
That it's not paid off? :D

sureshs
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Yes, seen many of them but never actually sat in one. I heard that it being souped up for European and US markets. With that, it should sell for 5000 $ here.

It had a few problems in India and I also heard that it would not do well in road tests in US or Europe without mods.

I think 5000 $ is the maximum a 4 door sub compact with auto-everything should cost.

sureshs
01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Aw I had you as a 50 year old driving a Buick.:)

Seriously, I thought most Indians in the US start of buying a Japanese car with good resale value (usually Honda or Toyota) and then after a few year move on to German / European cars (mostly Benzes/Volvos etc) (for status, I presume). That's the kind of trend I saw there in the 90's.

My first car was a Chrysler LeBaron which I bought for $200. No kidding. Then it was a Datsun for $300. Then a Mercury something for $900. Then a Dodge Omni for $1800.

Then a new Toyota Corolla, and after that only Hondas.

I have driven a Buick rental car once, and it was really comfortable - as if riding on a cushion.

DRII
01-03-2012, 09:14 AM

Yea,

but now Hyundais and Kias are only 'a little' cheaper than average. Just a few hundred dollars difference vs other main stream offerings.

I'm personally a Ford and Nissan fan.

Currently own a Maxima, some issues with it but nothing huge: (gussets need replacement, right front door window will not go down, timing chain tensioner rattles on a cold start...)

Next car: Taurus SHO... can't wait! The Maxima has been paid off for 2 years, but I want to know more about Ford's new turbo engines' longevity before I purchase...

Been very impressed with Ford lately!

BigServer1
01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Happy to report nothing wrong with my car, though it's only 6 weeks old. Recently bought a 2012 Kia Optima SX. Best car I've owned, incredibly fun to drive and really luxurious inside.

Had an external temp gauge issue, but they fixed that and it's been awesome. I'm always trying to find reasons to drive somewhere.

We also have a 2006 Nissan Altima, and have no issues with that either.

813wilson
01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Only thing wrong with my car is that it is NEVER home. 17 year old "has to have the car for...."

chollyred
01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
You guys make me feel pretty good about my 2005 Malibu. 124K miles with no serious troubles, just tires, oil, and brakes. I do currently have a warped brake rotor and the electric side view mirrors quit working. Since both quit, I'm thinking it may be a fuse, but since they never move, haven't spent the time to look.

I also have a 1995 Ford F150, 6 cyl, automatic with 193K miles. I recently replaced the brake line to the rear wheels, and at some time the cruise control quit working (again, could be as simple as a fuse). Other than tires and brakes, no problems. That old Ford straight 6 is dang near bullet proof. The body will probably rust away before that engine dies. I'd drive it every day if it got better gas mileage.

DRII
01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Happy to report nothing wrong with my car, though it's only 6 weeks old. Recently bought a 2012 Kia Optima SX. Best car I've owned, incredibly fun to drive and really luxurious inside.

Had an external temp gauge issue, but they fixed that and it's been awesome. I'm always trying to find reasons to drive somewhere.

We also have a 2006 Nissan Altima, and have no issues with that either.

Congrats on the Optima.

A very nice looking car, Kia did very well to lure all those former VW designers away :)

BigServer1
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Congrats on the Optima.

A very nice looking car, Kia did very well to lure all those former VW designers away :)

Thanks. If you'd told me a year ago I would have been pining over a Kia, I would have laughed at you.

But I'm very happy with it. It gets a ton of looks, people always ask me what it is. Interior appointments are great and with the 274HP 2.0T, it's a lot of fun to drive and gets good mileage. That's about all you can ask for.

jacktyler627
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
So I drive a 1998 BMW 7 series

only owned it sense june and I've had a lot of problems...

I had a bleeder valve and small screw by radiator replace (almost 200$)

Then I have overheating problems so I take it again and get new water pump, thermostat, temperature sensor, then got free labor at replacing belts so went ahead and payed for those....when I go to pick it up, the mechanic takes a call but tells me he needs to talk before I leave...Oh brother...

He heard a ticking in the engine near the valves...He runs a one man show and doesn't have his full time BMW experience yet but is telling me eventually all my valves will end up going wrong and the engine will stop running......there are 8 valves in this car with the parts being around $400-500 each....with an estimated 30 hours of labor at almost a $100 an hour. He also informed me about how there may be timing issues which could be another 20 hours of labor.

When I bought this car for $5000 I never thought I would have to spend more than that on maintnence :/

zapvor
01-05-2012, 12:38 AM
So I drive a 1998 BMW 7 series

only owned it sense june and I've had a lot of problems...

I had a bleeder valve and small screw by radiator replace (almost 200$)

Then I have overheating problems so I take it again and get new water pump, thermostat, temperature sensor, then got free labor at replacing belts so went ahead and payed for those....when I go to pick it up, the mechanic takes a call but tells me he needs to talk before I leave...Oh brother...

He heard a ticking in the engine near the valves...He runs a one man show and doesn't have his full time BMW experience yet but is telling me eventually all my valves will end up going wrong and the engine will stop running......there are 8 valves in this car with the parts being around $400-500 each....with an estimated 30 hours of labor at almost a $100 an hour. He also informed me about how there may be timing issues which could be another 20 hours of labor.

When I bought this car for $5000 I never thought I would have to spend more than that on maintnence :/

you thought youd never spent anything besides maintenance on a bmw???? it must be your first car

chrischris
01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
That my brother dented it.

Ronaldo
01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
That my brother dented it.

When was his funeral?

quest01
01-05-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a Honda with almost 190 thousand miles and a dent on the front right side because a dog hit me when I was driving.

Ronaldo
01-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I have a Honda with almost 190 thousand miles and a dent on the front right side because a dog hit me when I was driving.

And that was his funeral?

LuckyR
01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Wrong wih my car? I never got around to using my prefered winter wax, and I have a bunch of papers in the front seat.

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-05-2012, 07:29 PM
06 Subaru Impreza. Think one of the rear wheel bearings might be gone, very strange noise. Apart from a ridiculous appetite for light globes, nothing further to report after 140k km

09 Subaru Outback. Nothing to report at all but it's only done 30K!

94 Honda VFR. Indestructible!