PDA

View Full Version : New laptop - need help

Janne
01-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey all! Hope New Years Eve went better for you guys and girls than it did for me - I got robbed together with my bonus-dad's youngest daughter and I am now short a smartphone and laptop that I had just bought Win7 and Office for. Thankfully material goods were the only things we lost and no one came to harm, but it's still a pretty crappy start to the new year. Anyway, I am now in need of a new laptop for school (both at the university and for distance studies I can't do without a computer). I've taken a quick look at some portable computers and saw one that I thought looked very nice - the Acer Aspire S3 Ultrabook.

Would this computer serve me well? Any other good recommendations? I mostly used my now stolen laptop for downloading and viewing movies, schoolwork and browsing the internet, so no heavy stuff. If possible, I'd like to be able to play games like Skyrim, though games are something I can skip entirely. A good battery life is very important since my old one only lasted for an hour and a half tops when watching movies. The Aspire S3 lasts for 6 hours which is good, but I don't know if that's 6 hours of light usage or 6 hours of watching The Office.

PS: Forget to mention my budget: the Aspire is pretty much how high I can go without my wallet starting to growl at me. So basically $700 or so.

VaththalKuzhambu
01-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Sorry about your loss. How important is portability to you? $700 seems like a more-than-enough budget for a laptop these days. Checkout the deals at www.deals2buy.com.

I usually stay away from brands such as Acer, Compaq, Toshiba for reliability and lifecycle (~2-3 years) of their products. Dell, Sony and Lenovo, in that order, are my favorites. Needless to say, stay away from Apple products.

Janne
01-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Vaththal. Just trying to be positive - it could have ended a lot worse. :)

Portability is a big thing as I like to travel - so something light, slim with a good battery are things I'm looking for. My now lost laptop was a Dell 11z that was good for travel, if maybe a bit small (it was 11.6" - so a 13" this time would be good, if only for typing a lot for school) and the battery was an atrocity that lasted for a mere 90 minutes.

Thanks for the tip, though I forgot to mention that I live in Sweden, so tips on good computers is all I can ask for - I'd love to buy one from the states (so much cheaper!) but it'd be annoying having to set it back there if something happens to it and whatnot. :P

Will check out some Sony and Dell computers, haven't seen many Lenovos around here. :P

sureshs
01-01-2012, 03:33 PM
I got robbed together with my bonus-dad's youngest daughter

What does it mean?

West Coast Ace
01-01-2012, 03:44 PM
What does it mean?I had to google: looks like step-dad.

$700 is a lot. But just saw that you're outside the US. Good luck.

sureshs
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
I thought there is no crime in Sweden?

Bartelby
01-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Here's what you need: notebook check - http://www.notebookcheck.net/

CLL
01-01-2012, 05:15 PM
I think a Dell XPS 15z would be a bit of a stretch in the price...but I hear it's pretty good for gaming and such....

esgee48
01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
How about a used business returned laptop? Those are normally refurbished and carry 6 or 12 month warranties. Just do a search for businesses in Sweden or Denmark.

flashfire276
01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
The best way to go would be a used laptop. Seriously.
A higher-entry level (Pentium processor) laptops with 3 gigs of RAM can go about $500 brand new. At the same price, you can get a really good laptop that was used on e-Bay.
I recently bought an HP Pavilion DV6-1378NR on e-Bay. Intel Core 2 Duo T3300 (equivalent to Core i3), 4 gigs of RAM, 500 GB hard drive. Sadly, it's an integrated graphics card. But, I got it for $300. That's the cost of a new netbook, and I can easily run games on this used laptop.

DRII
01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I thought there is no crime in Sweden?

Guess you haven't seen Girl with the Dragon Tatoo yet...

albino smurf
01-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Needless to say, stay away from Apple products.

Hate long lasting and reliable products eh?

Andyroo10567
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Craigslist is your answer for cheap laptops that are good. :)

VaththalKuzhambu
01-05-2012, 07:05 AM

Why pay the price of 2-3 units when you get only 1 unit?

DRII
01-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Apple products are prohibitively over priced!

However its all about supply and demand. If people are willing to pay that much for Macs, then so be it…

Kenny022593
01-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I saved up and spent $1000 on a macbook.... I will be going back to PC asap. I like windows so much more than OSX.

LuckyR
01-06-2012, 07:31 AM

"Long lasting" is not a benefit in the computer realm. "Overpriced" is never a benefit.