PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel fatigued be your job?

canadad
01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I am a teacher, but as crazy as it sounds also a person. I have been in schools since I was 5, that is 30 consecutive years. Some days I would rather not have a bell dedicate my life. What do you do to motivate, energize and inspire yourself.

Mick
01-01-2012, 08:43 PM
take a long vacation :)

Kobble
01-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I think it is important to have hobbies that matter to you. Good friends and family as well. Teaching the same old stuff has to get boring. Then, again, how many jobs are all that? Even tennis players look like they want out by 28 years old. I mean, you wind up battling kids at a game for money. It seems weird. It is good for 23 and under. That age bracket eats up all the attention. Childhood friends are in college taking exams and you are wacking a ball, working on your tan, and hitting the clubs.

I don't know how you acquire motivation. It seems like you either have it or you don't.

r2473
01-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Ever feel fatigued be your job?

I am a teacher, but as crazy as it sounds also a person. I have been in schools since I was 5, that is 30 consecutive years. Some days I would rather not have a bell dedicate my life. What do you do to motivate, energize and inspire yourself.

I feel that teachers embiggen the lives of the youth and occupant a very cromulent puzishun.

....at first I thought you were asking a question, but I can see by your punctuation that you are simply making a statement.

You're a teacher you said?

Fuji
01-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Go work out! :)

It helps me a lot whenever I'm feeling burned out. Running really does clear the mind.

-Fuji

El Diablo
01-02-2012, 05:35 AM
If you meant that you should not have a bell dictate your life rather than "dedicate" your life, perhaps you should not be a teacher. Now, take a look around you at other species and think about how routine their lives are. I'm always taken aback by people who think there's something amiss if their lives are relatively routine and induce a certain level of fatigue. This is why there are philosophers -- because life is routine, and because it ends. It is by and large the nature of life. We all have a choice. (And what sounds crazy about your also being a person? Do you feel others don't consider you a person?)

El Diablo
01-02-2012, 05:41 AM
(note: the bell you so loathe is merely an audible clock. My life, and the lives of virtually everyone I know, is dictated by a clock. That's normal, so try harder to accept it. I have just one friend whose life isn't run by a clock. He retired from his medical practice at 45 because his wife is independently wealthy. He's now on two antidepressants and quite miserable as his life has no particular meaning any longer. "Cultivate your garden," Volataire advised.)

Sentinel
01-02-2012, 06:11 AM
http://youtu.be/ysAgvjyp-qY

Cliff version:
http://youtu.be/VZbM_MIz4RM

neverstopplaying
01-02-2012, 06:20 AM
What do you do to motivate, energize and inspire yourself.

We're tennis players. Hope you get over the hump soon.

albino smurf
01-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Balls out 60-70 week 3-4 months at a time followed by quarterly vacations.

canadad
01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I feel that teachers embiggen the lives of the youth and occupant a very cromulent puzishun.

....at first I thought you were asking a question, but I can see by your punctuation that you are simply making a statement.

You're a teacher you said?

Unfortunately there was no statement, it was a question. I was typing without thinking. No clever try at a statement, just a poor typing.

canadad
01-02-2012, 10:00 AM
If you meant that you should not have a bell dictate your life rather than "dedicate" your life, perhaps you should not be a teacher. Now, take a look around you at other species and think about how routine their lives are. I'm always taken aback by people who think there's something amiss if their lives are relatively routine and induce a certain level of fatigue. This is why there are philosophers -- because life is routine, and because it ends. It is by and large the nature of life. We all have a choice. (And what sounds crazy about your also being a person? Do you feel others don't consider you a person?)

I don't loathe or hate my job, I was just asking what people do when they fall into a slump at work. I assume I am not alone. I have worked hard to get where I am and teaching is something I believe I am good at. There are too many good parts to the job to give it up.

I would not like to live my life without routine either, but in 35 years I have heard alot of bells. Sometimes I feel like a pavlovian dog. Perhaps on my deathbed all the doctor has to do is ring a bell and I will merely get up and walk to the next class.

Working out is something that I really need to start doing more of.

r2473
01-02-2012, 10:11 AM
"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

Sentinel
01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't loathe or hate my job, I was just asking what people do when they fall into a slump at work. I assume I am not alone. I have worked hard to get where I am and teaching is something I believe I am good at. There are too many good parts to the job to give it up.

I would not like to live my life without routine either, but in 35 years I have heard alot of bells. Sometimes I feel like a pavlovian dog. Perhaps on my deathbed all the doctor has to do is ring a bell and I will merely get up and walk to the next class.

Working out is something that I really need to start doing more of.
Haha, good one, teacher.

Sentinel
01-02-2012, 10:14 AM
"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
Hey, that's deep, seriously.

Who said it ?

canadad
01-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Love it, thanks.

r2473
01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey, that's deep, seriously.

Who said it ?

Thomas

Too bad his gospels (the so called gnostic gospels) got buried in a cave.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl_thomas.htm

Kobble
01-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I guess it depends how you look at it.

sureshs
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Most jobs are boring

psmo290
01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes but I always have tennis to look forward to almost every night after work

Mick
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Most jobs are boring

boring jobs are the best if they pay well.
the exciting ones (e.g. racing drivers), sometimes would involve too much risk.

LameTennisPlayer
01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
boring jobs are the best if they pay well.
the exciting ones (e.g. racing drivers), sometimes would involve too much risk.

Would you count grass if it paid well? I remember a family friend asked if I wanted to count grass for his Forestry company, around NZ$10/hr when I was around 12 or so early 90's. Which was alot of money for a kid back then. I still said no :)

OTMPut
01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Most jobs are boring

This is not a scientific fact.

If you find teaching boring, go do something else. Or at least try to find something interesting to do. What do you teach by the way? And where do you teach?

Mick
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Would you count grass if it paid well? I remember a family friend asked if I wanted to count grass for his Forestry company, around NZ$10/hr when I was around 12 or so early 90's. Which was alot of money for a kid back then. I still said no :)

if that is the best job i can find, why not? that is unless i don't need the money :)
i watched this movie "the hurt locker" the guy's job is to remove explosives planted on the ground. now you can't pay me any amount to do that job.

adamX012
01-02-2012, 08:54 PM

OP ya,

I think you might want to find another job instead....

Teaching isn't an easy job. I always consider it as a holly job.

Hang out with friends with the common interests...

Keep yourself busy all the times

Life rocks pretty well at my side.

dlk
01-03-2012, 03:14 AM

I think everyone is being too harsh. Of course, you're not going to give up teaching (a noble & underappreciated edeavor). Step back and see how lucky you are compared to most. I also like the exercise advice, gets the norepinephrine & serotonin balanced. The world could use some more tennis playing educators, who can self-introspect at times.

LuckyR
01-06-2012, 10:02 AM

Basically, there are those with a profession, such as yourself, who are likely to do a similar thing for their entire careers (30+ years) and there are those with jobs who are likely to switch what they do numerous times in their lives. Don't take simplistic advice from those who have no idea what you are dealing with.

True you are doing a similar thing for decades, but the upside of your (and most) professions are that there are many job types that are available with the same or similar training, if doing a different thing would be helpful. For me (a few decades into the mix) it was more about focusing on the ability to impact people in areas that they find very valuable (and therefore they are motivated to take the advice you have to offer) and enjoying the opportunity to interact with people at a level much deeper than whether they want French Fries or not.