PDA

View Full Version : Timing the Split Step on Returns

hacker_101
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I time my split by hopping forward as my opponent is making contact with the serve.

What do you when your opponent has an erratic toss therefore making the timing of the split at contact more difficult? Split again? Back up?

Thanks.

fRa
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM
You should split step before your opponent hits the ball so that you land just after the shot has been made.

What I do on return of serve, before the split step, is basically take a step forward so that I'm on the move to anticipate the moment of impact better.

Xizel
01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
That's playing him long enough into the match to learn his timing, otherwise I'd try my best to match it and slice the serve back if needed.

kiteboard
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Align energy so that each side, bh/fh is equidistant, equi powerful, equi fast. Unit turn from the core, even if the feet don't close. Unit turn very fast to give yourself lots of options to go with any spot off either side and practice the energy focus.

thug the bunny
01-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I have only been s-stepping on serve returns now for a few months now, but I'm a believer. One of my regular hitting partners has a very low toss that is also hard to time. I just look for his swing into the ball. Don't time the toss, key on his swing. Also, IMO the timing of the s-step is not that critical as long as you're not facing a 120+mph serve. It only serves to get your weight up on your toes rather than starting out flat-footed.

gatorbait
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
I agree w/ fRa...I take a step forward on my opponent's ball toss so I take my split right at or just before contact.

Limpinhitter
01-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I take a step forward when the ball leaves my opponent's hand and then split step during the upward swing just before contact.

SystemicAnomaly
01-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I take a step forward when the ball leaves my opponent's hand and then split step during the upward swing just before contact.

Ditto. I prefer this to hopping forward. The timing or rhythm between that forward step and the split step will depend on your oppenent's serve rhythm (or their toss height).