PDA

View Full Version : Cheating tennis players

AlpineCadet
01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
So there's a USTA rated 4.5 player who has speed, control, power on most of his shots. Good first serve, and a low bouncing second. He's practically there anytime any of us show up to play. He's good, I'll give him that. The only bad part of this story is that he makes the worst line calls. His partners usually forgot how to speak when he calls the lines wrong, and we're all just where we are--silent about his cheating.

We obviously know he hooks us on line calls but we just put up with it somehow because he's still hooking us. What would you do realistically, with a real name and face to back it up?

Kurte954
01-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Not sure what you mean by real name and real face but...

When I'm playing and I see a trend of bad calls, I will question them. I usually play on Har-Tru, so it's easier to dispute a call. I have yet to play someone who will stand by a bad call when they can't find a mark. If someone insisted my shot was out and couldn't find a mark, I would stop playing and not play them any more. I do this for fun, I don't delude myself with ideas of grandeur. If some weird, insecure person needs to cheat to feel good about themselves, they can do it with someone else.

angharad
01-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Stop playing with him. If he asks why, explain. If enough people do so, he'll get the picture.

equinox
01-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Hit well within the lines by 1/2 meter. Don't give the player opportunity to cheat, especially on big points.

pabletion
01-04-2012, 08:24 AM
what I do (and thats me...):

First hooked call: "U sure? I saw it well in....." and let it go, give him the point.

Second hooked call: "Come on man, that ball is clearly landing in..." and let it go, or play a let if he asks for it (rarely happens).

Third hooked call: "No way.. its the third one I'm not giving it to ya, my point". If he doesnt want to let it go and makes a big deal out of it, let him play by himself.

Why would anyone want to take t-shi like that? Sometimes you just have to grow a pair and claim shots that are in.

jswinf
01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
^^^I think that says it pretty well. What else you gonna do?

r2473
01-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Challenge him to a duel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Q8AqYLKro

Dedans Penthouse
01-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Challenge him to a duel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Q8AqYLKro

"Duel"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65gGrnprCwU&feature=endscreen&NR=1

on-topic:

1. give a look at the 'spot' (may've been an honest mistake) but say nothing

2. next time (politely) ask: "are you sure of your call?"

3. same as previous "you sure?"

4. if a tournament, insist on a linesperson. If not, as previously mentioned, simply never play with him again. Word will get around and he'll realize he's given himself a bad rep as a hooker.

Kurte954
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I almost cried when I saw this I was laughing so hard... And I think I may handle and "resolve" all line calls like Gonzo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-jThxwUnAs

ollinger
01-04-2012, 02:22 PM
I had to play doubles with the famous Alberto as my partner last weekend:
Alberto: "why did you call that ball good??!!"
Ollinger: "because it WAS good"
Alberto: "yeah, so what!!!!!"

Zolar
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
One of these days we'll all be taking our own videos, and maybe while it's not an immediate shotspot look, we can post bad calls on youtube and shame those people into making honest calls.

r2473
01-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I had to play doubles with the famous Alberto as my partner last weekend:
Alberto: "why did you call that ball good??!!"
Ollinger: "because it WAS good"
Alberto: "yeah, so what!!!!!"

I have to agree with Alberto on this one.

mikeler
01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
One thing I hate is when my opponent routinely calls my out shots out. So annoying.

zapvor
01-05-2012, 12:46 AM
i actually dont mind people calling my shots out. if they have to use that strategy to beat me, i am feeling pretty good:)

Zolar
01-05-2012, 06:30 AM
I go out on the court fully expecting at least one bad call. Less than one is a pretty rare occurrence. But we all make bad calls, whether we think so or not. This Youtube video shows a classic example of someone being blind. Classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55QUtJa90qE

This guy truly thought the ball was out, but looks like it was in by 6"!

blackfrido
01-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Hit well within the lines by 1/2 meter. Don't give the player opportunity to cheat, especially on big points.

this is not fair, you're playing with a smaller court!

volleygirl
01-05-2012, 07:22 AM

I agree. His cheating has paid off if its caused you to hit on a smaller court. If its blatant cheating you have to confront the player and if it doesnt stop, then never play the person again.

Nostradamus
01-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Stop playing with him. If he asks why, explain. If enough people do so, he'll get the picture.

stop playing with him ? is this doubles ? if you simply stop playing doubles with him then he will just play singles and hook other people. He can still play usta leagues and so on and hook other players there.

pabletion
01-05-2012, 07:59 AM
I go out on the court fully expecting at least one bad call. Less than one is a pretty rare occurrence. But we all make bad calls, whether we think so or not. This Youtube video shows a classic example of someone being blind. Classic!

Completely agree, but theres a difference between missing a call and hooking calls on purpose. Yeah, everybody makes occasional bad calls, specially in situations where youre wishing or hoping the ball lands out so bad that you may actually see it out, and be sure about it. But I think in those cases you will miss more calls that are out and continue playing than actually calls that are in and you call out. You see this in higher tennis levels, players will continue a point that looks out if its too close to the line. Sometimes you just "know" a ball is landing in, because of how you hit the ball, so its sometimes easy to know a guy is hooking calls on purpose (or because hes gotten used to calling those close balls out!) or if he has missed a call.

haha, and the vid is a beautiful example... Maybe this guy almost always called those shots out and he actually thought he saw them out. Im sure from now on, now that he's seen how far he missed the call his perception has changed. Sometimes it helps to see youre calling it wrong, being with a video or someone standing at the fence and telling you how far you missed a call. Great vid!

r2473
01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
This Youtube video shows a classic example of someone being blind. Classic!

That ball was clearly out. You would have seen chalk fly if it was in.

blackfrido
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree. His cheating has paid off if its caused you to hit on a smaller court. If its blatant cheating you have to confront the player and if it doesnt stop, then never play the person again.

many of us suffer from this kind of guys, they shrink the court for you not only physically also mentally. Your vision of the court you play is 10 times smaller....

CDestroyer
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I dont play with a cheater and I will them they are a cheater if I have enough evidence.

equinox
01-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Life's not fair.

A good player will not be aiming for lines and will have setup point for an easy open court shot.

GS
01-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Thankfully, I don't run into alot of cheaters, but there's lots of guys out there with bad vision---they "think" they're seeing the ball land correctly, but they're not. So, I try not to play with these guys, especially the ones with a temper.
And I don't play tournaments anymore because of weekend warriors there who cheat, because their friends, wives or girlfriends are watching, and they want to look as good as possible. I don't like paying $35 to enter a tournament just to get cheated, or get into a big shouting match.