PDA

View Full Version : Eastern grip FH + SemiWestern 1HBH?

horizon
01-04-2012, 04:50 AM
As the title says...

Background: I've been playing often with a friend who used to be really good and still generates lots of topspin and a kickserve that kills my 1HBH.

I found that I naturally spin the racquet in my hand to a semiwestern grip on the BH side (possibly even western). That helped a lot, especially as he comes often to the net and I was effectively able to return (or hit passing shots) towards his feet, making contact with the ball somewhere around or above my head height!

I can deal with his shots on the FH with my normal Eastern grip, that's probably the one area of the game where I'm at or close to his level.

However: is it a good idea to mix grips on the different sides? And if I do it should I hit my BH like that against everyone else, to develop consistency?

BirdWalkR
01-04-2012, 03:23 PM
So your using a sw forehand grip for a backhand? Doesnt that turn your wrist into an awkward posisition?

BevelDevil
01-04-2012, 03:24 PM
The grip you use on one side doesn't affect the other side, so the.short answer is that it's okay.

However, going from Eastern fh to Western backhand is a big grip change which may cause problems against fast serves or volleys. Some remedies for this are using a continental grip for your ready position.

About your by grip: what bevel(s) is your index knuckle on?