PDA

View Full Version : 2hbh progression

aimr75
01-05-2012, 02:15 AM
I couldnt find a wall that was free to hit against on a local court so I took some vid at home just dropping balls. Looks a bit odd hitting against my house but what can you do

Have been trying to create a more compact 2hbh in the vein of Safin..

Dont know how useful this vid is but any pointers on form would be good for the 2 hander. (ignore the forehands)

http://youtu.be/YVcWXW4Lcis

I guess it just comes down to practice but sometimes the stroke feels very awkward and disconnected, other times it feels good.. its pretty frustrating

fRa
01-05-2012, 04:33 AM
I was just wondering... Why did you change to a 2hbh? Your 1hbh looked really smooth ; it looked like it was an efficient shot from the other vids you've posted.

rkelley
01-05-2012, 07:54 AM
I agree with fRa. Seriously, your strokes look really nice and most people would kill for your one hander. I'm guessing that your playing with some high level folks and the big pace is a problem for the one hander? Serve returns especially? Still, it looks really nice.

The one video of the 2hbh looks good. It seems like your off to a good start. Ultimately you're going to have to loosen up your wrists a bit and get a bit more of the racquet whipping into the ball. Overall the wrists aren't as loose on a 2hbh as one the 1hbh, but if they're too tight you rob yourself of power. Overall the 2hbh is a compact, powerful, but kind of uptight stroke that will take a while to get used to, especially compared to that beautiful one hander you have.

TennisCJC
01-05-2012, 08:14 AM
I have not seen your 1 hbh but your 2 hbh looks good. You dominate with the left hand which is good. You also keep the racket head up which is good. A few things to consider.

1. In practice with partner or on wall, stress prep. All you want is a shoulder turn with hands to side between shoulders, and racket head up higher than hands. Basically, a very short shoulder turn with racket head up - don't take racket back yet.
2. In practice, stress L hand. I will take a few minutes on a wall and feed a few soft balls to 2HBH and just think early prep, use L hand to hit shot. I sometimes use the phrase "pull" as I pull the L hand thru contact and over opposite shoulder at end of follow-thru.
3. Old fashioned concept of hitting just out front of front hip/side is still good advice. If you get your weight moving in and contact the ball out front, you'll get easy power.

You technique is very good. Take a few minutes when you practice to consiously work these 3 things into your game. Honestly, you are doing these things pretty well now but they are keys for me.

willroc7
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm also curious why you are switching from your one-hander, it is gorgeous!

aimr75
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
rkelley, TennisCJC, thanks for the tips.. Will think about these pointers when I try it again. And the comment about the hard hitters and the one hander, that's correct. It exposes the fact that I don't get much court time these days to completely hone the 1 hander. Was hoping to increase the consistency of that wing given my lack of hitting time. Unfortunately for me, the transition at times is pretty difficult to grasp

ace_pace
01-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Too be honest I'd rather stick with the 1hbh. Unless you've used 2hbh before I'd think honing the 1hbh would be easier than learning a new stroke altogether, although I must admit your 2hbh's dont look bad by any means.

P.S. I'd kill for a forehand like yours :D

Bud
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I couldnt find a wall that was free to hit against on a local court so I took some vid at home just dropping balls. Looks a bit odd hitting against my house but what can you do

Dont know how useful this vid is but any pointers on form would be good for the 2 hander. (ignore the forehands)

I guess it just comes down to practice but sometimes the stroke feels very awkward and disconnected, other times it feels good.. its pretty frustrating

Did that last BH shot break your window? :confused: It appears to vibrate as the ball hits it right before the video cuts off.

You're brave hitting against a wall with a window and no margin for error.

ho
01-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Your mechanic on your 2HBH is Ok. You have to remember that the way you hit, is you hit with your body. Therefore contact somehow have to be in your range of max rotation which is on your side. If I'm not mistaken, you hit a little far out, that make you feel awkward.
Draw the C a little smaller, by that way you will hit thru the ball more .
Nice peaceful and simple homestead my young man. By the way, do not worry anything on your window glass?

aimr75
01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
ho, i do tend to hit a bit too far in front at times, i think due to my 1hbh background.. have to get used to the idea of hitting more to my side

Yes, i have hit that window directly at times, but seems to have taken it.. i am not hitting hard though because of the window, so the impact isnt too bad

Limpinhitter
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM

2 related issues: Everything looks good up to impact. (1) After impact it seems that you are decelerating and not fully finishing with your shoulder turn and follow through. (2) If your left hand was more dominant, and your rh more passive, your 2hb would have more of a lh ww finish like your fh.

Keep up the good work.

PS: I know you are hitting against your house and not on a court. But, you should be able to finish as well on the bh side as you do on the fh side.

rkelley
01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
ho, i do tend to hit a bit too far in front at times, i think due to my 1hbh background.. have to get used to the idea of hitting more to my side

You don't want to take too far in front, but you also don't want to let the ball go to too far to the side of your body on the two hander either. One key difference between a two hander and a one hander is that the shoulders on the two hander rotate around until they're roughly facing the net at contact like on a forehand, as opposed to a one hander where the shoulders are roughly perpendicular to the net at contact. When your shoulders are that far around and both hands are on the racquet it's very awkward to reach way to the side for a ball. You lose power and especially the ability to put topspin on the ball. You basically just have to slap at it and hit it fairly flat - which you're sometimes forced to do if your opponent pulls you wide enough.

I don't know what the standard teaching is, but my rule of thumb for lining the ball up when I have time is to line the ball up to be just a little outside of my hands when I pull the racquet back and I'm in the ready position. As I turn my shoulders to hit the stroke the racquet whips around into the ball and I can drive through or over the ball.

aimr75
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Limpinhitter, yeah i noticed when i was hitting i was certainly decelerating.. owing to hitting against the house, but as you say, despite not hitting all out i should be completing the follow through anyway.. im still getting my head around hitting this shot and have not focused so much on hand dominance.. maybe that is a missing element for it to start clicking more.. dont get me wrong, sometimes the stroke feels great for extended periods, but other times its very awkward.

rkelley, thanks for the tips on contact point.. will need to focus on this more since i can tend to get myself into a bind getting the contact point wrong

MrCLEAN
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
No glass breakage?

rkelley
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
rkelley, thanks for the tips on contact point.. will need to focus on this more since i can tend to get myself into a bind getting the contact point wrong

The killer is that I was hitting with a really high level player tonight, lots of pace and lots of spin, great consistency and nasty dtl shots, and I was habitually hitting my backhand too far out front. I kept drilling them into the tape, and even when they went over they were often too flat and short. I kept telling myself to let the ball come into the contact zone, but there was enough pace and spin coming at me that it was messing with my timing. I hit some good bhs, but I hit a lot of bad ones too.

So do as I say, not as I do.