PDA

View Full Version : me serve and volleying video, tips please

ark_28
01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Hi guys

Played a friendly match and took one service game from it, I always serve and volley but I just want to see if there are any tips you guys can give me.

I know techinically my serve still needs a lot of work I need to bend my knees more for a start.

But if you guys could have a look at it and tell me where you think I can improve and what if anything I am doing ok, I would be grateful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLvNs0GwLnw

ATP100
01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Need a different view of you going to net to really help. Based on what little I can see, you need to track the ball a little more after first volley.

gregor.b
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi guys

Played a friendly match and took one service game from it, I always serve and volley but I just want to see if there are any tips you guys can give me.

I know techinically my serve still needs a lot of work I need to bend my knees more for a start.

But if you guys could have a look at it and tell me where you think I can improve and what if anything I am doing ok, I would be grateful :)

Yes,agreed. You need to work a lot harder on your service motion to 'tighten it up' (also your pronation and follow through). That way you will get more disguise, pace,work on the ball and therefore some free points.

ark_28
01-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Need a different view of you going to net to really help. Based on what little I can see, you need to track the ball a little more after first volley.

thanks mate I took this on my phone but will borrow my friends camera and tri pod next time!

thanks for the tip, and suggestions as to good drills to start tracking the ball better after the 1st volley?

ark_28
01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes,agreed. You need to work a lot harder on your service motion to 'tighten it up' (also your pronation and follow through). That way you will get more disguise, pace,work on the ball and therefore some free points.

I agree with you and thanks for the comment, its been a technical issue for a while but I am determined to improve it as I feel that for the level I play at if I can bend the knnes more improve my follow through and pronation as you say I could maybe get some more free points and it will perhaps me come out of some tight matches.

scotus
01-05-2012, 02:02 PM
How about adding a split-step?

ark_28
01-05-2012, 02:28 PM
How about adding a split-step?

Fair point mate, I will try and work on that too I think perhaps making a concious effort to get the split step in will help me track the ball better after the 1st volley too?

ark_28
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM

could probably do with more wrist snap as well on the serve couldnt I?

ark_28
01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
any more tips would be great guys! :)

BevelDevil
01-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I only watched the first in serve on the video (0:22) :

When you start your swing motion, I think your racket head should drop down completely (so it is pointing down), then come up behind your head. In this vid you pull your racket back sideways.

Also, you seem to be using too much upper body to power the serve. The kinetic chain should go: Legs, shoulder, arm, racket. Basically, I think you need to relax your arm and shoulders. Whip it like a wet noodle.

Also, as you release the ball, you should turn your shoulders back more: Extend out more with your right arm, and pull your left shoulder back more. Reach. On a related topic, I think your toss needs to be higher.

Finally, after contact, your hands and racket should be in ready position as soon as possible. In the video, you took several steps forward with your racket down and to the side, and your hands apart. Try to bring your racket up with your right hand on the racket throat as soon as you can. This will help you get ready for the first volley.

Edit: I just noticed your avatar. Funny that I knew your were trying to do a Sampras serve based on how you set up for the serve. Caution: I think Federer is a better model. Sampras has a "delayed takeback" which is hard to replicate, and which can hurt your shoulder. I know this because I'm pretty sure I hurt my shoulder trying to do Pete's takeback. Aside from the delayed takeback, Fed's serve is very similar to Pete's (he was probably copying it).

ark_28
01-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I only watched the first in serve on the video (0:22) :

When you start your swing motion, I think your racket head should drop down completely (so it is pointing down), then come up behind your head. In this vid you pull your racket back sideways.

Also, you seem to be using too much upper body to power the serve. The kinetic chain should go: Legs, shoulder, arm, racket. Basically, I think you need to relax your arm and shoulders. Whip it like a wet noodle.

Also, as you release the ball, you should turn your shoulders back more: Extend out more with your right arm, and pull your left shoulder back more. Reach. On a related topic, I think your toss needs to be higher.

Finally, after contact, your hands and racket should be in ready position as soon as possible. In the video, you took several steps forward with your racket down and to the side, and your hands apart. Try to bring your racket up with your right hand on the racket throat as soon as you can. This will help you get ready for the first volley.

Edit: I just noticed your avatar. Funny that I knew your were trying to do a Sampras serve based on how you set up for the serve. Caution: I think Federer is a better model. Sampras has a "delayed takeback" which is hard to replicate, and which can hurt your shoulder. I know this because I'm pretty sure I hurt my shoulder trying to do Pete's takeback. Aside from the delayed takeback, Fed's serve is very similar to Pete's (he was probably copying it).

Thanks for the great tips Bevel.

I think you are totally right regarding the upper body in my serve I liek the chain and how you broke it down am going to go back and keep working on it!

I also think my toss could be higher will try a couple of drills to make it happen.

Also thanks for pointing out about grip and holding the racket as I approach the net I think it is pure habbit just running in but you are right holding the racket up is much better preparation. As your probably saw I made soem pretty tough volleys there, but with better preperation they wouldnt be as tough or even if they are I guess I will be ready for the next one!

haha yeah I have enjoyed trying to copy Petes action I know I do it very badly!! You are right the delayed takeback is very hard to replicate will have a look at more and more footage of Roger's and try and nail the basics!

Once again thanks so much for taking the time to give me some tips and great insight based on the clip :)

TheOneHander
01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
My apologies if this has been mentioned, but I noticed something on your volley preparation. Your racquet stays pointed horizontally-if you keep it up, you won't have to waste time with extra preparation and dedicate more of your effort to actually hitting the ball. This is essential in higher level tennis where passing shots are really coming in hard.

I know Pete didn't always hold the throat of his racquet with his off hand, but he sure did keep the racquet head up. It really will help you with your control and reflexes.

ark_28
01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
My apologies if this has been mentioned, but I noticed something on your volley preparation. Your racquet stays pointed horizontally-if you keep it up, you won't have to waste time with extra preparation and dedicate more of your effort to actually hitting the ball. This is essential in higher level tennis where passing shots are really coming in hard.

I know Pete didn't always hold the throat of his racquet with his off hand, but he sure did keep the racquet head up. It really will help you with your control and reflexes.

Thanks for your tips buddy, you are absolutely right when you put it like that, I feel like because of poor preparation I am having so do a lot of effort and work to make what should be easy volleys so I will make an effort to work on that thanks so much for the reply :)

ark_28
01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Here is a vid of some forehands I hit in when having some practise just before the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCIJA2SD4Pk&context=C37f1a62ADOEgsToPDskInZuWfGMFthVKS9x2uz4xj

Big_Dangerous
01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi guys

You can say that again.

The worst part is your toss man. I don't see many people toss the ball that low. You need toss it much higher to force yourself to bend those knees and come up to contact the ball.

As far as your S&V game goes, you're really sluggish getting to the net. I notice you aren't moving at full speed, which is really bad. If you're going to come in behind the serve, you need to be much faster. I noticed with some of those volleys, not only are you volleying behind the service line, but you're having to contact the ball below the net or right at net level. You always want to volley the ball above the net, unless you have no other choice.

Focus on coming into the net quicker, and come to split step stop just after you get past the service line.

ark_28
01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
You can say that again.

The worst part is your toss man. I don't see many people toss the ball that low. You need toss it much higher to force yourself to bend those knees and come up to contact the ball.

As far as your S&V game goes, you're really sluggish getting to the net. I notice you aren't moving at full speed, which is really bad. If you're going to come in behind the serve, you need to be much faster. I noticed with some of those volleys, not only are you volleying behind the service line, but you're having to contact the ball below the net or right at net level. You always want to volley the ball above the net, unless you have no other choice.

Focus on coming into the net quicker, and come to split step stop just after you get past the service line.

thanks mate, I kmow it is not pretty but I want to keep working at it,

the ball toss has always been a problem do you know any drills I can use to help me work at it?

I think you are right aboout speed getting to the net I kind of just cruise up there I need to go at full pace!

Thanks for your tips mate

BevelDevil
01-07-2012, 02:37 PM
The best way to increase your transition to net would be to better integrate your serve motion into your forward motion. Simply improving your serve will do this by itself.

By relaxing your upper body, and tossing higher and further into the court, you will propel your body forward more. In addition, by getting more shoulder rotation, it will pull your upper body downward after contact, and into a forward sprinting position.

Make sure you're putting topspin on the ball, as this motion helps with pulling your upper body down and forward. I think this is one of the big reasons why Edberg could get to the net so quickly.

ark_28
01-07-2012, 04:42 PM
The best way to increase your transition to net would be to better integrate your serve motion into your forward motion. Simply improving your serve will do this by itself.

By relaxing your upper body, and tossing higher and further into the court, you will propel your body forward more. In addition, by getting more shoulder rotation, it will pull your upper body downward after contact, and into a forward sprinting position.

Make sure you're putting topspin on the ball, as this motion helps with pulling your upper body down and forward. I think this is one of the big reasons why Edberg could get to the net so quickly.

Thanks buddy, this is what I need to work on getting my serve techniqe much more solid so that I can power into the court and be better prepared for the volleys,

been watching some of Pat Rafter clips on youtube too he was another good example wasnt he? of a smooth serve motion that nicely took him into the forecourt

mntlblok
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Don't you ever miss a first serve?? :mrgreen:

Also hard to argue much with yer volley skills as you seemed to make most all of those, too. Not the way I prefer to do it, but I *miss* some of mine.

Bad knees?

Kevin

ark_28
01-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Don't you ever miss a first serve?? :mrgreen:

Also hard to argue much with yer volley skills as you seemed to make most all of those, too. Not the way I prefer to do it, but I *miss* some of mine.

Bad knees?

Kevin
Thanks fr your feedback and for taking the time to reply

I wish I never missed a first serve as I might hold more often that I do :P

About 4 years ago I had a freak accident when I twisted my knee on the back fence had to have surgery on my knee (the right one) have been fine since but sometimes it is in the back of my mind!

What made you pick up on that? :)