PDA

View Full Version : couple forehands

spacediver
01-07-2012, 12:26 PM
From last night:

I've been focusing on using my legs to rotate my hips and create that lag effect so that the torso and arms whip the racquet rather than pushing it. The one thing I notice from the video is that I could probably use some more coil in my windup.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, they'd be welcomed.

Please ignore the lazy footwork on the serve return :p

http://vimeo.com/34713111

djoko4thewin
01-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Well i like your forehand, but i'd say you have good explosion of your legs and ill ignore the lazy footwork. But i'd say your stance is slightly too open so your hips are facing to much to the court so you can't get that rotation if you were semi open stance a bit more and your hips be facing away from teh court so could rotate more. Also i'd say your forehand looks a bit slappy but i can't see how it lands in the court, so try and get under the ball more and drop the wrist so your getting more spin and less slap/flat ball (by the looks of it). Hope this ok!

spacediver
01-07-2012, 01:05 PM
good observations, and thanks!

Yes my forehand is very slappy - they're pretty flat and penetrating, but I'd be wise to start experimenting with different racquet angles/swing paths.

Thanks for pointing out the stance - I remember someone else pointing this out a while ago, but I'd not been conscious of it until just now.

djoko4thewin
01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
No worries! You have good fundamentals to build from! Good luck. Perhaps post another vid in time when you improve things here an there.

ace_pace
01-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Your forehands like bernard tomic's. Its like a slappy kind of forehand :D

But yeah the reason why you cant coil as much as youd like is because of your stance. A wee bit too open. Also when you shoulder turn try and concentrate on core rotation. Lock the arm in a sense when turning forward.

spacediver
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
thanks ace pace. Not sure I understand your last sentence. Which arm do I lock and what do you mean by turning forward?

wings56
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
if you would take the energy into the slapping of your racquet to the ball and focus it on extension through the ball you would generate as much or more pace with much more consistency and control. it appears as if your forehand motion almost stops at contact instead of finishing all the way through. you definitely want to maintain the racquet head speed but just get it a little more through the ball! everything else will fix itself :)

pushing_wins
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
From last night:

I've been focusing on using my legs to rotate my hips and create that lag effect so that the torso and arms whip the racquet rather than pushing it. The one thing I notice from the video is that I could probably use some more coil in my windup.

jmho, your forehand is progressing in the wrong direction. you are spinning around way too much.

rkelley
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
From last night:

Looks pretty good to me. I'm not seeing any huge problem with the stance being too open. A bit more core rotation wouldn't be bad probably. You're hitting through the ball - I wouldn't call it slapping. That's a shot you want when you want to be aggressive, but I agree that you'll want to also have a more topspinny swing path that allows you to maintain the nice racquet head speed that you have but hit a safer shot that still has a lot of energy and action. The spinning around that pushing_wins mentions - that's the form I see the high level juniors hitting when they're really hitting hard.

johndagolfer
01-09-2012, 11:58 AM
My one guess is that you hit a lot of balls either long or into the net when your timing is off.

Besides the slap, which a lot of people have pointed out, you seem to really try to flip your racquet head closed. I assume you're doing this trying to maximize your topspin.

I am pretty old school when it comes to strokes, and I feel that the racquet head should maintain a slightly closed plane until after contact. What you seem to be doing is going from a at your target/to slightly open racquet to shut really quickly. I find that when some people do this that when they have an off day they don't know where their forehands are going.

spacediver
01-09-2012, 06:57 PM
yep rkelley, that's definitely my aggressive forehand. I find it easier to find good mechanics when I go for those aggressive shots. I definitely need to develop a rally forehand that has solid mechanics and a more prominent topspin element.

johndagolder:

My one guess is that you hit a lot of balls either long or into the net when your timing is off.

Besides the slap, which a lot of people have pointed out, you seem to really try to flip your racquet head closed. I assume you're doing this trying to maximize your topspin.

I am pretty old school when it comes to strokes, and I feel that the racquet head should maintain a slightly closed plane until after contact.

While I think I understand your main point, this sentence seems to imply that the racquet head should open up after contact, which makes no sense to me. Am I misunderstanding you?

johndagolfer
01-10-2012, 04:40 AM
yep rkelley, that's definitely my aggressive forehand. I find it easier to find good mechanics when I go for those aggressive shots. I definitely need to develop a rally forehand that has solid mechanics and a more prominent topspin element.

johndagolder:

While I think I understand your main point, this sentence seems to imply that the racquet head should open up after contact, which makes no sense to me. Am I misunderstanding you?

not at all. Instead of shutting the racquet head so that your strings face straight down(which eventually happens late in the follow through), I would suggest trying to keep the plane of your strings more consistent through the hitting area, still facing down, but not being flipped over. I just feel it would give you more of a margin than trying to time the flip the racquet.

spacediver
01-10-2012, 06:45 AM
ah, understood :)