PDA

View Full Version : How to find spin with the eastern grip?

MaratSafin_fan
01-07-2012, 05:37 PM
I played with extreme SW until I injuried my arm and changed to Eastern forehand grip. I am very happy that I made that choise because I got rid of the pain. The problem I have now is that I have lost the spin I used to have. One reason could be that I just changed the grip for 3 weeks ago and that I havnt got used to it yes, but how can I find more spin?

I need spin because me playstyle is counterpuncher but with hard hitting pace now after the gripchange. So I need the spin to play a game with few unforced errors.

Thanks for all your help and comments. Please share your own experience thats similar to mine! :)

Up&comer
01-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Let me make a suggestion. Go back to your regular grip, but get a different racket and different string. You literally have the stiffest racket and strings you could get.

Netspirit
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Option1: Watch Federer's slow-mos. Search this forum for the discussion about the "pull vs. push" forehand. In short, use the WW forehand pre-pronating _both_ wrists during takeback and then auto-supinating / releasing during the forward swing.

Option 2: Use your arm (instead of your wrist) to generate the topspin - by changing your swingpath to a more "vertical" one.

Pick whichever works best and stick to it.

athiker
01-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Both good suggestions above on equipment and technique. I don't know what specific injury you had but like Up&comer said...Revenge seemed like steel wire to me when I tried it in a trade and then combined with the Pure Drive...wow! There are most softer polys out there not to mention multis, etc. Though I would think you could get big spin even with a continental grip with that combo. :)

Seriously, to get spin and to state the obvious I guess, the racquet face has to be moving vertical to some degree at contact, so it comes down to swing path, racquet head speed at contact and angle of string bed at contact for spin production and depth control. I would say you have to look at your swing path closely and do what you can to get your racquet head speed higher.

By most accounts Fed has an eastern or close to eastern grip and gets quite high spin...especially compared to us mortals. Many videos of him on the web...slo-mo and otherwise. Fuzzy Yellow Balls also has some nice free videos that break down the fh.

I was watching the Tennis Channel show Destination Tennis and they were in Argentina w/ Guillermo Vilas and he was emphasising how on a low ball players tend to slow their racquet and lift the ball up gently, but really you need to actually swing even faster to get more spin on the ball to bring it up and then back down again. Racquet head speed. He also encouraged finishing below the shoulder as opposed to the "american way" above the shoulder. So a real windshield wiper motion. I think its Bollettieri that calls the motion "turning the door handle". Good luck...and really...think about some gear changes...at least string...not for spin but for health.

thug the bunny
01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
In my limited experience, I started back tinto the game with my previous E grip, and I found, as athiker said, that gererating good ts on the fh required alot more 'whip' and speed through the shot, with more emphasis on cutting up acrosss the back of the ball.

After a while, I switched to a SW grip, and that ts came more naturally, and I could start hauling off on the ball knowing that ts would keep it in. As a previous poster said, if you thing that using a SW grip to get good ts is hurting you, you mihgt want to look at new strings/racket, or find out if your technique is the cause.

ace_pace
01-08-2012, 03:24 AM
I doubt that the SW grip is whats causing the problems. It could be either your racquet and/or technique.

On topic though, you should know that eastern is a very conservative grip topspin wise. If you want topspin, the easiest way is to just change your swing path, make it more from low to high. If you have the time and effort, look up the federer forehand technique. Its very hard to learn (Im still trying to learn it :)) but youll get the most amount of topspin possible with it. Note that nadal uses a pretty similar technique, but with an extreme semi-western grip.

rkelley
01-08-2012, 08:32 AM
You can loads of spin with an E. grip. The key is that with the more conservative, i.e. Eastern, grips you really need to focus on the pronation and the WW action to get the topspin. My son uses an E. grip and his forehands kick up and to the side all the time due to the spin he puts on them. The more Western grips give you more topspin just as part of the swing path. OTOH, with the more W grips I think you have to focus a bit on hitting through the ball when you want to do that.

Honestly, even though I personally use a strong E. grip, I think the SW grip is the best grip to balance those two needs. I'll also echo the thoughts of those that wonder if the SW grip is really your problem.

Check out the Lock and Roll videos. Here's a general one with some good basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwg9DB8S8a8

And the specific forehand video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNtq393tvo&feature=related

He uses a strong E. grip on his forehand some some of the nuances that he mentions like rotating the racquet to face the side fence during the take back I've found to be really useful.

MaratSafin_fan
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I have noticed that my biggest problem is that I open up the rackethead. I scooping it when I hit long misses.
Should I try to force the rackethead more down through the swing?

tennis_pr0
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
If you were able to generate good top spin with a western grip, you should be able to do so as well with an eastern, just not quite as much I suppose. As far as opening the strings at the point of contact, that will naturally happen with any grip you use. Top spin is generated based on the trajectory of the strings through the point of contact. If the trajectory is straight through, that will obviously produce a flatter ball. Focus on using the windshield wiper trajectory and you should be able to produce a ton of top spin. It is not so much about eh grip as it is the swing path at contact and the follow through.

rkelley
01-08-2012, 05:33 PM
If you were able to generate good top spin with a western grip, you should be able to do so as well with an eastern, just not quite as much I suppose. As far as opening the strings at the point of contact, that will naturally happen with any grip you use. Top spin is generated based on the trajectory of the strings through the point of contact. If the trajectory is straight through, that will obviously produce a flatter ball. Focus on using the windshield wiper trajectory and you should be able to produce a ton of top spin. It is not so much about eh grip as it is the swing path at contact and the follow through.

Totally agree.

ho
01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
So I need the spin to play a game with few unforced errors.

If you need just the ball do not land out, you really do not need to produce a lot of spin with E grip:
The low part of the C that you hit should be as much as a straight line and parallel to the ground as possible, If you hit ball at waist high just hit flat (perfect for E grip} racket path is parallel to the ground, use as little as possible WW. That will give you a little spin but gravity will bring it down. I change back to between SW and E after years of SE, and I found I have more deep control than before. Again, the key point still is hit very hard, you will find that the harder you hit, the more you feel control.