PDA

View Full Version : Mixed doubles help!!

TheBoom
01-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Ok so I am in a dilemma

My coach has decided that my mixed doubles partner and I will be playing together in the spring season. We were undefeated in the fall but only one or two teams weren't beginners so there wasn't any real challenge. Now we are getting ready for the sprung as I said. I have improved a lot I was in a bit of a slump last fall and now in out of it and playing great. Her level has dropped a lot. She didn't practice over thanksgiving or Christmas break at all ad it showed when we played a practice match with the guys doubles team. We normally would have won 6-3 6-4 around there not much trouble. she would make her serves we would hold her serve (my serve had trouble I double faulted a lot in the fall but i am much much better now). We could return well I would hit a hard or forcing enough return to win the point or for a finishing forehand she would get it in play and I could poach and finish off with a volley now we just played them twice and lost 6-7 7-5 4-6 and 7-5 4-6 the second time. My serving was good I only had one or two games where me double faulting was an issue and lost the game because of it. But we lost my serve more because she would get an easy ball and totally miss it long or into the net and this was becoming an issue in all the games. On her serve she normally misses her first. When she serves her second she patty cakes it in and whoever returns either crushes it right at me or hits a sharp angle and takes me out of the equation pbecause i can't do much and I get pegged or she has to run after it and hit a floating slice right at the net man. When returning I tend to do well still im able to return deep and in 80-90% of the time but when she returns she hits a floater at the net man again and I get the ball hit at me.

I'm not saying I don't screw up my fair share I still miss volleys double fault more than I probably should but it seems like I have to carry the team and pull us through if we do at all. Even the team thinks that I am doin all the work the doubles team said they do their best to hit it to her because she misses most of the shots she take most of the time.

How do I make this better? Our first tournemt is coming up next week and I don't know what I should tell her because I'm sure that she will flip out or just ignore me...

Any help on what I should do would be appreciated :)

TheBoom
01-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Anyone...?

dizzlmcwizzl
01-08-2012, 12:42 PM
You cannot do anything to change her game ... how much she plays or what she happens when she does play. All you can control is your play or your team strategy. Mixed is all about the woman. Steady women with attacking men are great teams. Weak men with inconsistent women are losing teams. If the man is the better player then it is his responsibility to control the bulk of the court and make the window of opportunity smaller for his partner to make mistakes.

Your choices are to play with someone new or to get over her troubles and change the way you approach the game. However, you should never blame your partner for a loss ... you are a team so you must win or lose as a team. If that displeases you, then politely find someone else to play with.

TheBoom
01-08-2012, 12:47 PM
You cannot do anything to change her game ... how much she plays or what she happens when she does play. All you can control is your play or your team strategy. Mixed is all about the woman. Steady women with attacking men are great teams. Weak men with inconsistent women are losing teams. If the man is the better player then it is his responsibility to control the bulk of the court and make the window of opportunity smaller for his partner to make mistakes.

Your choices are to play with someone new or to get over her troubles and change the way you approach the game. However, you should never blame your partner for a loss ... you are a team so you must win or lose as a team. If that displeases you, then politely find someone else to play with.

Thank you for the comment! I am totally ok with losing as a team but she has a tendency with her past partners to place blame on ten even if they do nothing wrong. That's the part that frustrates me. Should I come up with an easier strategy of what she should do during the match?

ark_28
01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Was in a similar situation about 2 years ago (not the whole season but for one match) in our mixed league.

The problem was they put me with a lady who really wasnt very good, and the pair we played their lady was solid way better than my partner and the guy was pretty much on my level.

I remember us losing the first set 6-0 because they just pummelled her.

2nd set, I just went for everything served big and just pouched at the net I knew we had to target the girls serve and once my partner managed to get the ball back I was in, in a flash.

It worked and not only that the lady I played with got a lot of confidence and in the end played as well as I have seen her play! we won that set 6-2

So the advantage u guys have is you have played together before.

I agree do not blame your partner for the loss, but do take control take over the game and target their lady as much as you can, I am pretty confident this will rub off on her :)

Bagumbawalla
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
This is difficult to comment on because, from your own description, you are not a great player and she is not very good at all.

What can you do?

- Hope the opposing teams have not practiced in the past year.

- Inform your coach that you have improve, somewhat, and shouldn't be saddled with with this "albatross" around your neck- and add that, if you lose, it's not your fault.

- Wear a disguse when playing matches with her.

- Maybe,see if she would like to practice with you- in addition to the school practice- so you can both work on doubles-specific issues, practice to improve weaknesses, and discuss strategies for dealing with different kinds of players and situations.

TheBoom
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
This is difficult to comment on because, from your own description, you are not a great player and she is not very good at all.

What can you do?

- Hope the opposing teams have not practiced in the past year.

- Inform your coach that you have improve, somewhat, and shouldn't be saddled with with this "albatross" around your neck- and add that, if you lose, it's not your fault.

- Wear a disguse when playing matches with her.

- Maybe,see if she would like to practice with you- in addition to the school practice- so you can both work on doubles-specific issues, practice to improve weaknesses, and discuss strategies for dealing with different kinds of players and situations.

Well I wouldn't say I'm great but I'm pretty good I dont mean to put myself down but it really was a horrible slump. Normally I can hit with most top players am keep up. Anyway I think practicing together is a good idea! If I wanna hide my face u could cut holes in a bandana and put it over my exes :P

jacktyler627
01-11-2012, 03:03 PM
You are the male player in the mixed match....

Although not always it is common for the men to be better than their partners.

If your partner isn't pulling her weight, help her out and play hard.

TheIrrefutableOne
01-11-2012, 05:55 PM
tell her to guard the alley, and you can cover the rest of the court

;)

TennisCJC
01-13-2012, 12:08 PM

^^^ good ^^^

Old adage "the woman determines who wins in mixed". I am fortunate in that my normal mixed partner is strong and mixed is fun. But, if the woman is substantially weaker, mixed can be a nightmare - you will watch lots of ball go by. It is difficult for you to poach because her shots are too weak to stress your opponents and it is difficult to hold serve if she blows 2 volleys per game.

Either play for fun and do the best you can or politely find a new partner. You can still work on your game.

This year's mixed final at Wimbledon was really cool. Melzer and Iveta Benesova won. Iveta is a petite lefty - she held serve every time and got loads of free points serving to the man as he could not handle her lefty spin. She also is really, really hot.

charliefedererer
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
The tip to practice more with her one on one is the best one yet.

Almost no one practices volleys and return of serve enough.

Get a bucket of balls and let her stand at the net, trying to hit all 4 quadrants of the court with forehand and backhand volleys.
Hitting to a specific place will make her concentrate on placement.
During the session, and over time, you can gradually increase how hard you hit the ball.
during the session, and over time, you can gradually place balls further to the left and right to increase her range.
Same for deep and shallow balls with her starting near the service line.

You can do similar drills for return of service.
(You get to start out practicing mainly your second serve - over time increase the number of first serves, and work on varying placement and spins.)
She is practicing her cross court returns.