PDA

View Full Version : Alexandra Stevenson

Rodzilla
07-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Stevenson gets first win of comeback (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-stevensonreturns&prov=ap&type=lgns)

What do you think about her? I remember seeing her at the USO a while back, but I can't remember her game exactly. She did reach as far as 18 in the world in 2002, and if I remember correctly, I expected her to get into the top ten and be a contender at the slams. She has some good height on her, but I recall that her movement was not that well, but maybe she has improved. We need some more Americans in the top 10/20/30. We got Davenport and the Williams sisters there, but then the closest American is Capriati at 42. It looks like the American women are having a similar issue to the men.

atatu
07-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Sorry, but she's not going to make it anywhere close to the top 10. She has more of Samantha's genes than Dr. J's.....

NoBadMojo
07-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Stevenson had a shoulder problem and also played most of her career without the benefit of a real coach (her mother was her coach and she knows little about tennis). She's the daughter of Dr J (Julius Irving). for a while she tried playing an agressive all court game, saying she was tired of staying back and losing. she doesnt have the mobility you need for the modern game and how fast the ball is traveling IMO so she makes alot of UE's.. she hits a heavy ball given lots of time to set up.. her serve, while fast for the WTA isnt nearly well placed enough. she cant hit her spots with it and it often doesnt land deep enough in the box. she's going to have a tough go i think.

tennissavy
07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
She had one good run at one tournament years ago and that's it. I saw her 2 years ago at the US Open against Emilie Loit and Stevenson not only moved poorly and hit a multitude of errors, she had one of the worst attitude problems I have ever witnessed. She also questioned way to many calls which were obviously good calls. I think she has dillusions of ******ur. She is fortunate to be on the wta tour at all making money. Her best shot is her serve and when she isn't double-faulting she's lucky. It is almost to the point at which you just figure that unless she hits an ace, she will lose the point in the rally.

Deuce
07-18-2005, 10:49 PM
The fact that this is approximately her 12th 'comeback' doesn't make her future look particularly rosy.

tennissavy
07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
She had one good run at one tournament years ago and that's it. I saw her 2 years ago at the US Open against Emilie Loit and Stevenson not only moved poorly and hit a multitude of errors, she had one of the worst attitude problems I have ever witnessed. She also questioned way to many calls which were obviously good calls. I think she has dillusions of ******ur. She is fortunate to be on the wta tour at all making money. Her best shot is her serve and when she isn't double-faulting she's lucky. It is almost to the point at which you just figure that unless she hits an ace, she will lose the point in the rally.
Anyone know why tenniswarehouse blocks g r a n d e u r with asterisks? since when is it a foul word?

ty slothrop
07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Stevenson had a shoulder problem and also played most of her career without the benefit of a real coach (her mother was her coach and she knows little about tennis). She's the daughter of Dr J (Julius Irving). for a while she tried playing an agressive all court game, saying she was tired of staying back and losing. she doesnt have the mobility you need for the modern game and how fast the ball is traveling IMO so she makes alot of UE's.. she hits a heavy ball given lots of time to set up.. her serve, while fast for the WTA isnt nearly well placed enough. she cant hit her spots with it and it often doesnt land deep enough in the box. she's going to have a tough go i think.

but aside from that, she can really play!