PDA

View Full Version : Reversed cap style gone?

rk_sports
01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
A while back.. numbers of pros (Hewitt, Haas) used to have this reversed cap going on... a few still (Isner) do it.. but I dont see many sporting this style?... is this an obsolete style? ;)

autumn_leaf
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
I think it was a look like a "******" style overtime. Most people I see don't wear it backwards anymore.

Cindysphinx
01-09-2012, 05:24 AM
One of my teammates wears her hat backward. She looks adorable!!!

El Diablo
01-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Perhaps they realized it served no useful purpose, i.e didn't keep sun out of their eyes and off their delicate face skin. Isner, more than most, should realize this as he's a little closer to the sun than the rest.

wooky
01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
hewitt still does it...probably coz he's receding these days. Saw matthew ebden do it in his match today...makes him look 12.

catfish
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I have never figured out why anyone would wear a ballcap backwards. Ballcaps are intended to keep sun & glare out of your eyes. So what's the purpose of wearing one backwards?

jswinf
01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I have never figured out why anyone would wear a ballcap backwards. Ballcaps are intended to keep sun & glare out of your eyes. So what's the purpose of wearing one backwards?

There's your answer, don't you want to look adorable?

zcarzach
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I still do it, mostly to keep the sweat out of my eyes. You can't wear a bandana or sweatband around here without people calling you a Nadal or Federer wannabe, so I gotta have something. At least it isn't sideways, like a certain Mr. Donald Young...

catfish
01-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I still do it, mostly to keep the sweat out of my eyes. You can't wear a bandana or sweatband around here without people calling you a Nadal or Federer wannabe, so I gotta have something. At least it isn't sideways, like a certain Mr. Donald Young...

Ah. That makes sense. Now I know. I wear hats & visors in the summer when I play in the sun. I use wrist bands to wipe sweat when I'm not wearing a hat.

zcarzach
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Ah. That makes sense. Now I know. I wear hats & visors in the summer when I play in the sun. I use wrist bands to wipe sweat when I'm not wearing a hat.

Yeah, wristbands work too, but you can't stop in the middle of the point to wipe sweat if its heading to your eyes. A hat stops that, backwards or forwards. I play mostly indoors, so I don't need to block the sun and I find the brim distracting. So backwards it is.

NJ1
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
It's always sunny here so I wear a cap the right way around to help with sweat and block the sun. I hear you that a lot of fanboys wear bandanas/sweatbands but I ignore that on the rare occasions I'm playing indoors and go with a bandana over a backwards cap due to their greater absorption and fact the brim hits me on my back/shoulders.

Of course, if you like playing in a backwards cap keep doing so as everyone has their preferences and I'm totally with you on the sweat thing. I have a cap and dual sweatbands plus a towel and it's still a struggle to keep my eyes clear on a hot day.

r2473
01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, wristbands work too, but you can't stop in the middle of the point to wipe sweat if its heading to your eyes. A hat stops that, backwards or forwards. I play mostly indoors, so I don't need to block the sun and I find the brim distracting. So backwards it is.

Thats my feeling too.

But since I had to start wearing glasses again, the backward cap doesn't work, so I'm back to frontwards. The brim is annoying (especially on the serve).

thug the bunny
01-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Contact info pleas. Aw crap I'm married...

Seth
01-11-2012, 08:32 AM

I'm with you on this one. No one around me wears bandanas. I'll wear one every once in a while, but prefer the backwards hat. Adidas Grand Slam hat feels great worn either forward or backward.

wings56
01-11-2012, 08:36 AM
if it isnt sunny, ill wear it backwards. if its sunny, then forward. most of the time im too lazy to fix my hair, so thats why i opt for the hat. and i feel like more of a bad@$$ with my hat on backwards ;)

morten
01-12-2012, 03:29 AM
looks terrible, i like Youngs sideways look...

chrischris
01-12-2012, 08:02 AM
A while back.. numbers of pros (Hewitt, Haas) used to have this reversed cap going on... a few still (Isner) do it.. but I dont see many sporting this style?... is this an obsolete style? ;)

Y.E.S......

fundrazer
01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
I wear caps both ways. The number one purpose for me to to absorb sweat so it's not getting in my eyes and face. When I had longer hair, it also makes managing it a lot easier. No long sweaty hair blocking vision, lol.

I've got bandannas too, but I don't wear em as much. More of a collectible thing for me. I've only got two anyway.

chrischris
01-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Wearing a cap backwards or forewards limits my capacity to vent and cool on court. The head is through where most heat gets out and if you cap it you might blow your top imo.

zcarzach
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
looks terrible, i like Youngs sideways look...

Young looks like a clown with that sideways hat.

Andreas1965
01-13-2012, 03:21 AM
I'm bald, so it's dangerous for me to play several hours in the sun. A baseball-hat comes in handy.
Apart from that if you're bald and a heavy sweater there is no hair to hold back the sweat, which means that the liquid runs into your eyes all the time.
So I wear a cap most of the time when playing tennis, just to hold back sweat and protect my skin. When there is no sun, I wear it backwards sometimes, because I feel like the cap is blocking my view if worn the proper way.

Feņa14
01-13-2012, 03:29 AM
Yeah, i've never really been a big fan of it backwards either.

I use to wear one the right way when I had longer hair, as people have said, it's an easier way of keeping hair and sweat from the eyes without looking like you're trying to be Federer.

Kenny022593
01-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I get sunburned on the back of my neck very easily so during the summer I throw it on backwards to somewhat prevent that :)

volleygirl
01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I get sunburned on the back of my neck very easily so during the summer I throw it on backwards to somewhat prevent that :)

Sunscreen does a better job

chrischris
01-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Or the retro flappy cap used by Lendl and the Aussies back in the back ..

Bartelby
01-15-2012, 04:52 AM
You can drown a hat in water and then wear it whatever way.

Fearsome Forehand
01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Sometimes I wear a hat if it is sunny.

My own peculiarity is I wear it bill forward when returning and reversed when serving as I cannot tolerate anything in my field of vision whilst serving.

The reversed cap was once an avant garde fashion statement. Now it is passe. Sort of like tattoos, designer jeans, gold chains or wearing one's collar up.

All that is mod eventually becomes odd whether fashion, mores, or what have you. The nature of things.

wooky
01-18-2012, 10:44 PM
They showed some footage on Matthew Ebden on the practise courts earlier today with hat on normally....Lo and behold when it came to his match he had it on backwards. What's the deal with that?

Kenny022593
01-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Sunscreen does a better job

And together they do an even better job! :)

Leelord337
01-19-2012, 07:06 AM
I think it all started with Agassi, then Tommy Haas started doing it..and then some players like Sebastian Grosjean and Hewitt really made it look cool for a while.

nadalost2011
01-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Reverse cap? I thought that was out of fashion after the 80s

LeeD
01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm an old fart, but with really long hair.
I hate ponytails, makes me seem tied up.
Gotta wear a hat, usually forwards in the sun.
But sometimes, on cloudy days, it's nice to see your serves and overheads, so I wear the hat backwards.
Function, form who cares?

morten
01-20-2012, 01:17 AM
I think it all started with Agassi, then Tommy Haas started doing it..and then some players like Sebastian Grosjean and Hewitt really made it look cool for a while.

i have never seen Agassi wear one backwards...

LeeD
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
I hate sunscreen for tennis.
It's sticky, get's hot, I perspire all over it, and usually it smells. It blocks my pores from breathing, and I gotta carry another item all the time.
A baseball cap backwards is for vision and hair.
A baseball cap forwards is for sun and when I fall asleep while watching my buds play.

fortun8son
01-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Once Upon A Time... The only people who wore their caps backwards were baseball catchers so they could wear the retro mask.